FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[2017.08.02] DSLR Controller v1.05

11,416 posts
Thanks Meter: 88,137

By Chainfire, Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 4th August 2011, 01:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th January 2014, 05:40 PM |#3131  
Flag Cow Hampshire
Thanks Meter: 228

More
TP-Link TL-MR3040 v2 Connection Issues
I have a Canon 60D running the latest firmware, a TP-Link TL-MR3040 updated with the v2 Firmware from the DSLR Controller website and three Android devices that I cant't get to connect. I've also tried 3 different USB cables with no luck.

Here's what I'm doing so maybe some kind soul might be able to help me out:

Turn on the TP-Link with the switch already set to 3G/4G mode.
Wait to see WiFi light come on.
Connect any of my android devices and set WiFi to connect to DSLR Controller.
Turn on Canon 60D. It's in "M" Manual mode, (I've tried other modes as well) and plug into the USB cable.
Plug in the other end to the TP-Link and see the connect LED come on.
Try to connect from the Androids using the "Remote Release" app adn get the toast saying that it can't find a compatible camera on either WiFi or USB.

More info:
All of the cable work with a direct connection to my Windows 7 laptop using the Canon software.

Android devices I've tried:
Rooted Nexus 7 2012 with CyanogenMod 11 v4.4.2
Rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 running A Touchwiz based rom using the stock kernel. Android v4.3
Rooted Motorola Droid Bionic Stock factory rom, running Android v4.1.2

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Doc
26th January 2014, 08:03 PM |#3132  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Flash compensation not working
Hello,

I use a TP-Link TL-MR3040 V2.x with a 5D Mark III and Flash 600ex
I have bought your app and is working fine for me except for Flash compensation that is not working. I hope in the next release you can fix it and, last but not least if you could add gps feature from android phone to exif photo it would be very useful

Thank you
26th January 2014, 09:45 PM |#3133  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Camera
Quote:
Originally Posted by odlan

last but not least if you could add gps feature from android phone to exif photo it would be very useful

I have successfully tested the free Remote Release app with my hw setup: Rebel SL1, Nexus 5 (stock), and USB otg cable. GPS geotagging needs to be added. I don't know the complexity of that feature but hope to see it.

Edit: I finally bought the app and will test it out soon. It still has not been updated since last year.

thanks,
m.
26th January 2014, 11:06 PM |#3134  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

If you install any other version that the one from the DSLR Controller web site, it will not work. I can't understand why people keep installing "random firmware X from site Y" and expecting it to work. That doesn't make any sense.

Well I downloaded the firmware and followed the instructions on DSLR Controller web site.
But I still can't get the WIFI communacation between the untis working. Does that make any sense?
And I'm still hoping to get any help or feedback on my original post from 21.12.

Thanks
27th January 2014, 09:52 AM |#3135  

More
Hello Chainfire,

Regarding my issue with unstable connection, I just had a chat over the weekend with a TP-Link tech support, here's what they say:
Quote:

The USB port of the TL-MR3040 Ver:2.2 is designed for 3G/4G USB modem ,so it is not recommended to connect a camera to it .
I guess that is why it does not work out

Then I asked if 2.1 is also designed just for 3g/4g modem, here is what they say:
Quote:

The ver2.1 usb also designed just for 3g usb modem .
For your situation ,you can plug the camera to the lan port of the tp-link router ,then on the tablet and the phone ,please connect to the tp-link router’s wi-fi network ,to see if they will work .

To me, it doesn't make sense that usb port is designed only for 3g/4g modem. Do you know if there are any users here on the forum that have no issues with 2.2 version or 2.1?

Thank you,
Ilija
27th January 2014, 10:01 AM |#3136  

More
I have 2.2 version of TP-Link TL-MR3040 and for me there is not issue except Flash Compensation

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 utilizzando Tapatalk
27th January 2014, 10:14 AM |#3137  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
As a samsung galaxy user I found a good way to test for a good USB cable is to install the app "galaxy charging current".
It shows you the charging current and this current varies with the quality of the cable on my S4 a good cable charges with 1200 ma/H, the worst cable only charges at 300 ma/H.
Its a free quality tester.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk
28th January 2014, 08:40 AM |#3138  

More
Quote:

Have you tried turning mirror lockup on on the camera, then seeing what happens if you focus bracket ?

Yes I have tried that. It does not work, there is no noticable delay between mirror shutter. The camera just works in 'normal' mode, inducing a lot of mirror vibrations. For the moment, I use live view and do my stacks manually (because if you take a picture starting from live view nothing moves before the picture is taken). However, this is quite inconvenient, especially if it is a stack of 100 to 200 photos...
28th January 2014, 08:58 AM |#3139  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ile85

Hello Chainfire,

Regarding my issue with unstable connection, I just had a chat over the weekend with a TP-Link tech support, here's what they say:

Then I asked if 2.1 is also designed just for 3g/4g modem, here is what they say:

To me, it doesn't make sense that usb port is designed only for 3g/4g modem. Do you know if there are any users here on the forum that have no issues with 2.2 version or 2.1?

Thank you,
Ilija

I have no problems connecting a Canon D700 / T5i to the TP-Link running 2.2 and everything works. I've used some of the functions, but not all, and I will test any of them that you want. I don't use an external flash. I use the app for bracketing photos and it does this very well.
28th January 2014, 02:44 PM |#3140  

More
Quote:

Original posted by Chainfire

I'm not sure about the other issues, but it going to the Play Store is because Play is telling the app you're running an unlicensed copy. So either you do not have the same account associated with the Play store anymore, or something is wrong with Play. Try clearing it's data and rebooting, if you are sure you have the right account (the one you used to purchase DSLR Controller) setup in Play.

OK. I have reset my note 3 and changed it back to the old google account. The play store thingy has gone. However, the 0.99.4 didn't fully work on Android 4.4 with my Canon 5D Mk II. I could not manually change the ISO and when I pressed the AV, the screen turned black. Was this version been fully tested in Android Kitkat version?
28th January 2014, 11:59 PM |#3141  

More
Quote:

If you install any other version that the one from the DSLR Controller web site, it will not work. I can't understand why people keep installing "random firmware X from site Y" and expecting it to work. That doesn't make any sense.

Actually it's not completely true that it doesn't make any sense. First, I downloaded a firmware from official OpenWrt website and it did work with one other app so I expected it to work with your app, but then I realized it only works with the one downloaded from your website. I also think you should put a warning on your website that it will work ONLY with firmware downloaded from your page.

Cheers,
Ilija
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)