At&t Note / T-mobile 3g/4g fix Found- pledged donors step up[$455 Paid, $235 Left]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

tomin.fhl

Sep 30, 2007
I've been watching this thread for awhile and waited to buy this version of the Note to do this mod specifically.

I'm getting speeds around 600K down and under 30K up on all the radios.

When I use my wife's myTouch 4G right next to me she gets 6350K down and 2300 up.

Radios:
I've tried all of the radios. The Edge speeds with stock ATT radio gets much better upload and not too much slower than the 3G speeds I can get (220K down and 114K up).

Other Tweaks:
I've done the build.prop tweak and get all the same results.
Roaming on/off doesn't seem to change it.
Tried alternate APNs (internet2.voicestream.com, etc)

Speedtests attached.

Any ideas?

Are you getting 4g at this location. I ask because the screenshot shows an edge symbol. Did you do the step to force your phone to cdma?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

stormcool

Mar 25, 2012
Los Angeles
im on saur rom, already tried all radio, the internet speed seems to be same, very incosistent. Tested at the following Cities in S.Cal:

San Gabriel, Arcadia, Temple City, Rosemead, El Monte

The best result i get will be at home. around 5mb down, 1mb up. but have to be inside the house.

once i step out to the street, the speed will be around 3mb down, 0.4mb up.

if im at 3-4 blocks away from home, the speed is 0.5mb down, 0.01mb up

at Rosemead, i could get 2-3mb down when i was under a tree in the parking lot, if i walked 20 feet up to a store front, the speed will down to 0.6mb.

i tried selecting the HSPA only or GSM/HSPA option, cant notice any diff.
i tried forcing the 1700 band by *#2263#, cant notice any diff.

overall, my conclusions is speed varies by location, depending at where u at, im wondering if it is the close u near the cell site, u get better speed?

coming from HTC Inspire 4g to Galaxy note, this is my day 2, was already on edge speed, will not go back to insipre 4g.

Juanpv

Sep 30, 2007
Are you getting 4g at this location. I ask because the screenshot shows an edge symbol. Did you do the step to force your phone to cdma?

Thanks, I should have said. For the most recent speedtest pictured there I had flashed the ATT modem back (mainly to test the upload speed).

I have no problem getting the 4G symbol when I have one of the 3 alt. modems flashed.

jeweladdict

Aug 14, 2011
One thing i've noticed is that battery drains like crazy when you are in an area where you have no coverage. Meaning at home, I can only get 500kbps down, and my battery drains crazy fast. Whereas at work, I enjoy 6Mbps down, and my battery is fine all day. Hope this helps with troubleshooting.

tomin.fhl

Sep 30, 2007
One thing i've noticed is that battery drains like crazy when you are in an area where you have no coverage. Meaning at home, I can only get 500kbps down, and my battery drains crazy fast. Whereas at work, I enjoy 6Mbps down, and my battery is fine all day. Hope this helps with troubleshooting.

What may help here is to set it back to gsm/cdma auto and let it dial back to edge when you have no 4g. No sense in having the radio struggle to jump on a 4g network if only edge is available (or if edge is all it can find because of reception issues). That should help minimize the drain in the mean time.

Last edited:

jeweladdict

Aug 14, 2011
What may help here is to set it back to gsm/cdma auto and let it dial back to edge when you have no 4g. No sense in having the radio struggle to jump on a 4g network if only edge is available (or if edge is all it can find because of reception issues). That should help minimize the drain in the mean time.

Yup, I did that a few days ago, but the drain problem is still there. I only changed the CDMA setting though, switched from 1700 only, to any.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717

just for reference...

this Phone, regardless if it uses the stock radio or Tmo / Telus radio

it drains battery like there's no tomorrow due the display alone

even when i only use it with WiFi or without and no data at all on the stock ROM with no change, the battery drains fast

the same problem as Galaxy Nexus

it has to do with the HD screen

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
tomin

Please feel free to create a new DEV topic to further the hacks to get the I717 working better.

Feel free to ping me for any test or files that you need, as I use my T989 as the main phone until the I717 is stable enough for daily use.

At the moment i'm just playing around with the I717 and tweaking stuff to find a way to prevent it from drooping the data connection.

If you have a flash-able T989 ROM that is compatible with I717 to work, i'll be more than happy to load it up on my I717 to give it a spin and give you my feedback

I've a very stable 3G/4G network towers for testing, so i know when the speeds are correct or not.

at the moment the best work around is this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23958559&postcount=832

everytime my data connection hangs, i just do a quick toggle on/off on DATA and then i'm back online again.

the only problem is figuring out when the connection is lost, and have it do DATA on/off automatically again, until a more permanent solution can be found.

i was thinking probably i could use Tasker or some sh script to accomplish that, maybe just perform pings at 1 min intervals and if no reply then reset DATA

I have been trying avoid this post but
I think I should say something in light of all of the recent posts many it seems by very new users which is fine. I consider myself relatively new as well but I think some may have just joined up to try the fix expecting a perfect experience. I think that may be unrealistic.

The fix is not perfect for everyone. Some of you want a retail solution that rivals the performance you have received past or present from T-Mobile branded devices. I don't think we are there yet. The issues that are a priority for my own curiosity are (1) the occasional delay when a data call is made, and (2) the upload speeds. The low reception higher speeds artefact is one that I just have not been able to reproduce in my own testing but I am happy to list that as number (3). Recently there have been two reports of dropped calls. Again, I cannot reproduce this one. The phone functions perfectly for me, so that issue is number (4).

Now, in terms of resolving those problems it is clear that this thread is becoming less helpful because of the unending stream of comments about issues that have already been raised. There is very little talk about development which isn't as helpful for me. For that reason in no way do I oppose your efforts to establish a new thread. I am but a contributor to this thread.

In terms of my progress, I am trying approaches other than hex editing because the learning curve there seems particularly steep. What I have been able to do is get a couple of the roms from the t989 to boot on the Note with 4g but no wifi. Whether that process will aid efforts here I do not know but I am certainly working there before going back to the elf files. Also, it probably goes without saying that this really is a hobby and enthusiast project for me and my time spent on it is limited to availability.

That said, I am happy to follow and support all development efforts whether mine or those of another.

As for leaving the Note. There is no way in h### I would do that. I played with a GS2 the other day and I will never go back.

Best,
tomin.fhl

Last edited:

notown775

Nov 11, 2009
Reno
tomin

Please feel free to create a new DEV topic to further the hacks to get the I717 working better.

Feel free to ping me for any test or files that you need, as I use my T989 as the main phone until the I717 is stable enough for daily use.

At the moment i'm just playing around with the I717 and tweaking stuff to find a way to prevent it from drooping the data connection.

If you have a flash-able T989 ROM that is compatible with I717 to work, i'll be more than happy to load it up on my I717 to give it a spin and give you my feedback

I've a very stable 3G/4G network towers for testing, so i know when the speeds are correct or not.

at the moment the best work around is this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23958559&postcount=832

everytime my data connection hangs, i just do a quick toggle on/off on DATA and then i'm back online again.

the only problem is figuring out when the connection is lost, and have it do DATA on/off automatically again, until a more permanent solution can be found.

i was thinking probably i could use Tasker or some sh script to accomplish that, maybe just perform pings at 1 min intervals and if no reply then reset DATA

it seems awkward to me that the raid with little or no signal seems to perform the best for me. ill put up some videos of what I'm talking about later. on YouTube that is ans let you guys look at. and it may be a stupid question. but what's the difference between the stock T989 radio and the ones on this thread

take NOTE from my galaxy Tmob

bestia23

Sep 30, 2010
Aguada, PR
Galaxy Note on T-Mobile Puerto Rico

Just to let know all my Puerto Ricans living in Puerto Rico, that the Radio thats work here better is the one from Telus. Very please with the performance of my Galaxy Note, don't stop on the playback on my Amazon Cloud Music neither on HD YouTube Videos.

dhoang

Jun 18, 2008
Orange County, CA
I'm located in Fountain Valley, CA (Orange County/Socal), and found that KID works the best. Both Telus and VLK1, my data is always super slow (around 100kbps) even though the 4G icon is showing.

Even though the KID works, it's still not 100% perfect or stable. Sometimes I get 6mbps, 1.5mbps, and sometimes 100kbps. Data speed is definitely nowhere as consistent as it was on my Galaxy S2.

We definitely need more development on this. And look at the other files, and not just use the mdm.bin

So now, I'm debating whether or not to get rid of my Note. Even tho I love the screen so much, not having consistent data speed is a big pain.

Hi, I also live in Fountain Valley and debating whether i should sell my Sensation and get the GNote. I have a question for you. Besides the inconsistency in data speed, do you experience drop calls in our area?

Reactions: Dmh529

scottmog

Jun 6, 2007
Hi, I also live in Fountain Valley and debating whether i should sell my Sensation and get the GNote. I have a question for you. Besides the inconsistency in data speed, do you experience drop calls in our area?

I'm also in orange county and am interested in a response. I'm guessing I'll just wait for a tmobile s3... If nothing improves.
Sent from my overclocked desire z (tmobile g2) via tapatalk app

oka1

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 4, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Thread being Closed

To All the thread is beginning to wander off the focus and has got exceedingly long with gripes and repetitive postings of the same thing.

It is best we close this one and open another new thread it can be found here :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24121680#post24121680

Thanks to all ESPECIALLY TOMIN.FHL for without his work we would not have any fix...... Thank you Tom

•••••THREAD CLOSED•••••

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOLUTION (At least one solution that works)

might as well buy it, it will work. ;)

AND IT DOES!

Ok. I have successfully managed to get T-mobile 4G working on an AT&T Galaxy Note with absolutely no freezing. I have been able to replicate T-mobile 4G with three different modems: (1) T-mobile SGH-T989 KID, (2) T-mobile SGH-T989 VKL1, and (3) Telus KJ3. These modems can be found in this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1507825. Also, there is full phone functionality.

Here is how I achieved T-Mobile 4G on an AT&T Galaxy Note.

PRELIMINARY NOTES

The AT&T Note was networked unlocked
    I have been on T-Mobile for the past 3 years
    I am on the T-mobile post paid 5GB Data Android Plan (with unlimited talk and text)
    T-mobile sim was in the device while testing the solution
    The Galaxy Note was rooted, and running the latest Saurom Projekt Team Rom with the kernel that comes with that rom (DA_G's kernel I think).
    The phone functions perfectly. My family called while I was testing and there were no issues.
    Photo evidence and in follow up posts.
    Video evidence here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPW3DTecmVI by zedomax.

CAVEATS

Signal strength on my note was less than it was on my GS II. Indoors, I struggled to get two bars of reception.
    I have yet to break 5Mbps download speeds and upload speeds are low, usually 1 Mbps or less.

EDIT: In some locations I am getting excess of 9Mbs down and 2Mbs up.

HOW THIS SOLUTION DIFFERS FROM OTHER ATTEMPTS

All other attempts I have seen in both threads attempt to flash both the modem (mdm.bin) and the software that runs/communicates with the modem (amss.bin). CWM solutions were worse because those solutions also flashed two lib files (libril.so and libril-qc-qmi-1.so) that might be adding to the conflict.

Since all of the other solutions were resulting in lags/freezes/crashes, it seemed that either mdm.bin, amss.bin, or one of the lib files must be conflicting with some other component on the device. Since it was confirmed that 4G was possible before the lags/freezes/crashes, it seemed that the modem file was compatible. The only solution left was to eliminate any conflict possibly arising from the amss.bin or the lib files. In a nutshell, the solution is to flash mdm.bin without amss.bin or the lib files.

THE SOLUTION

I recommend using SOLUTION 1 below. It is easy and all you have to do is download the modem you are interested in and flash through CWM. But if you are game, you can go for SOLUTION 2 which is a bit more technical and requires comfort with adb and the dd command. That solution relies on adb and dd to write the mdm.bin file directly to the mmcblk0p17 partition on the device. Before we do that you MUST (1) have a NANDdroid back up and (2) you must follow the instructions here to backup your current mdm.bin/mmcblk0p17 partition so you can restore it when you need to.

- NANDROID and OTHER PREP

1. Do your nandroid backup (sorry, I can't explain that here)
    2. Power off phone, remove battery, and install T-Mobile sim with a smartphone/data plan.
    3. Power on phone
    4. Make sure you have adb working on your pc with all the necessary samsung usb drivers etc. (sorry, I can't explain that here)
    5. Make sure usb debugging mode is on (Settings, Applications, Development)
    6. Make sure "Unknown sources" is on (Settings, Applications ... this may not be necessary, but it worked for me, so let's just do it.)

- SOLUTION 1 - THE NICE AND EASY WAY

1. Using CMW, flash your modem of choice from the following:

- Telus Kj3 - http://www.mediafire.com/?y53w18h8xx76u7z
    - T-mobile SGH-T989 KID - http://www.mediafire.com/?o7d1z5xlox1jxkp
    - T-mobile SGH-T989 VKL1 - http://www.mediafire.com/?872a6s8mccw4dxu

2. Reboot your phone.

3. That's it. You should be ready to roll and can ignore all the technical stuff below. That is just there so people can build on the work.

4. To get back to AT&T you can flash this file. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10098708/Att_ucla1_ radio.zip

- TWEAKS

Since most people won't need Solution 2 (below) I'll post any updates/tweaks here.

1. Build.prop - using this build.prop I was able to reach average downloads speeds of 9Mbps and uploads of 2-3Mbps at work where I had very strong reception. Before the this tweak I was stuck at around 4Mbps down and 1Mbps up. At home I went back to around 4MBps down, but it was consistent while up speeds remained poor (less than 1 Mbps). At least one other user has reported improvements with this build.prop. I'll ask him to post his results. You can find the file here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23571185&postcount=290. The file is NoT a flashable zip. You have to (1) unzip it (2) remove .test from the end of the file name so it reads build.prop and then use root explorer (from market) to place it in your /system/ folder. back up your old build.prop for safe measure. Reboot.

- SOLUTION 2 - THE TECHNICAL WAY (or if you have trouble flashing the above)

1. Create three folders on your internal sdcard (/sdcard) or your external sd card (/sdcard/external_sd). These folders are (1) ATT, (2) TMOBILE, and (3) TELUS. Then create two subfolders in the TMOBILE folder: (a) KID, and (b) VKL1.

2. Backup your original mdm.bin and amss.bin partitions

- Get adb up an running and make certain your phone is connected to your pc.
    - Run the following commands to back up your mdm.bin. You may as well back up your amss.bin as well for good measure.

- For those using the internal storage use the following commands.

adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/sdcard/ATT/mdm.bin
    adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/ATT/amss.bin

- For those using the external sd card use the following commands.

adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/sdcard/external_sd/ATT/mdm.bin
    adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/external_sd/ATT/amss.bin

- Good. Now your original modem files are backed up on your internal storage or external sd card. Please don't overwrite them. Back them up somewhere else just to be safe.

3. Now we need to download and store either one of the T-Mobile mdm.bin files or the Telus mdm.bin file.

- Download the modem you want to test from this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1507825.
    - I had the best results with the T-mobile SGH-T989 KID so I'll use that for these instructions.
    - After downloading the modem, extract the mdm.bin file. Remember, this is the only file you want to mess with right now. (Maybe when we do more tweaking we can optimize the amss.bin file and the lib files as well.)

- If you downloaded the T-mobile SGH-T989 KID, save the mdm.bin file in /sdcard/TMOBILE/KID folder (internal sd) or the /sdcard/external_sd/TMOBILE/KID (external sd card).

- if you downloaded the T-mobile SGH-T989 VKL1, save the mdm.bin file in /sdcard/TMOBILE/VKL1 folder (internal sd) or the /sdcard/external_sd/TMOBILE/VKL1 (external sd card).

- if you downloaded the Telus KJ3, save the mdm.bin file in /sdcard/TELUS/ folder (internal sd) or the /sdcard/external_sd/TELUS/ (external sd card).

- Good. Now you have the mdm.bin file in a location that tells you exactly which modem you will be flashing.

4. Now all we need to do is copy the mdm.bin to the correct partition on the Note.

- For those using the T-mobile SGH-T989 KID modem the use the following command without the quotes.

"adb shell dd if=/sdcard/external_sd/TMOBILE/KID/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17" (external storage)

"adb shell dd if=/sdcard/TMOBILE/KID/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17" (internal storage)

- For those using the T-mobile SGH-T989 VKL1 modem use the following command without the quotes.

"adb shell dd if=/sdcard/external_sd/TMOBILE/VKL1/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17" (external storage)

"adb shell dd if=/sdcard/TMOBILE/VKL1/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17" (internal storage)

- For those using the Telus KJ3 modem use the following command without the quotes.

"adb shell dd if=/sdcard/external_sd/TELUS/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17" (external storage)

"adb shell dd if=/sdcard/TELUS/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17" (internal storage)

5. If all of that went well, all we have to do now is reboot, let the device settle down (updating the storage takes a little while longer since we put all those modem files in there), and then force the device to use HSDPA.

- Enter the following command without quotes

"adb shell reboot"

- Let the device restart
    - Let media scanning complete (really, be a little patient with it)
    - Look for the 4G icon to appear where only an edge symbol used to be.
    - If there is no 4G icon, check you reception strength. I had low reception indoors that improved when I went outdoors.
    - If after trying to get a stronger signal you still only get edge, you might need to force your phone to use HSPA only.

6. Forcing your phone to use HSPA

- Go to Settings
    - Go to Wireless and network
    - Scroll down and go to Mobile networks
    - Go to Network mode
    - Select HSPA only

OR

- Enter *#2263# on the dialpad
    - Select [2] WCDMA Band Preference
    - Select [3] WCDMA 1700

7. Ok, that's it. Next step, reading through your posts and collecting my bounty :D.

Enjoy the picture evidence of my T-mobile on the AT&T Galaxy Note with no lag/freeze/ or crashes.
    [MOD] Enabling Tmobile 3g/4g on the Note

The Att Note might support 3g/4g in the same exact way the skyrocket works.

ALL CREDIT GOES TO TOMIN!!!!!

2. Power off phone, remove battery, and install T-Mobile sim with a
    smartphone/data plan.
    3. Power on phone
    4. Make sure you have adb working on your pc with all the necessary
    samsung usb drivers etc. (sorry, I can't explain that here)
    5. Make sure usb debugging mode is on (Settings, Applications,
    Development)
    6. Make sure "Unknown sources" is on (Settings, Applications ... this
    may not be necessary, but it worked for me, so let's just do it.)
    - T-mobile SGH-T989 KID - http://www.mediafire.com/?
    o7d1z5xlox1jxkp
    - T-mobile SGH-T989 VKL1 - http://www.mediafire.com/?
    872a6s8mccw4dxu
    2. Reboot your phone.
    3. That's it. You should be ready to roll and can ignore all the technical
    stuff below. That is just there so people can build on the work.
    CWM. But if you are game, you can go for SOLUTION 2 which is a bit
    more technical and requires comfort with adb and the dd command.
    That solution relies on adb and dd to write the mdm.bin file directly to
    the mmcblk0p17 partition on the device. Before we do that you MUST
    (1) have a NANDdroid back up and (2) you must follow the instructions
    here to backup your current mdm.bin/mmcblk0p17 partition so you
    can restore it when you need to.
    2. Power off phone, remove battery, and install T-Mobile sim with a
    smartphone/data plan.
    3. Power on phone
    4. Make sure you have adb working on your pc with all the necessary
    samsung usb drivers etc. (sorry, I can't explain that here)
    5. Make sure usb debugging mode is on (Settings, Applications,
    Development)
    6. Make sure "Unknown sources" is on (Settings, Applications ... this
    may not be necessary, but it worked for me, so let's just do it.)
    - T-mobile SGH-T989 KID - http://www.mediafire.com/?
    o7d1z5xlox1jxkp
    - T-mobile SGH-T989 VKL1 - http://www.mediafire.com/?
    872a6s8mccw4dxu
    2. Reboot your phone.
    3. That's it. You should be ready to roll and can ignore all the technical
    stuff below. That is just there so people can build on the work.
    - SOLUTION 2 - THE TECHNICAL WAY (or if you have trouble flashing
    the above)
    1. Create three folders on your internal sdcard (/sdcard) or your
    external sd card (/sdcard/external_sd). These folders are (1) ATT, (2)
    TMOBILE, and (3) TELUS. Then create two subfolders in the TMOBILE
    folder: (a) KID, and (b) VKL1.
    - Get adb up an running and make certain your phone is connected to
    your pc.
    - Run the following commands to back up your mdm.bin. You may as
    well back up your amss.bin as well for good measure.
    adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/sdcard/external_sd/
    ATT/mdm.bin
    adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/external_sd/
    ATT/amss.bin
    - Good. Now your original modem files are backed up on your internal
    storage or external sd card. Please don't overwrite them. Back them up
    somewhere else just to be safe.
    3. Now we need to download and store either one of the T-Mobile
    mdm.bin files or the Telus mdm.bin file.
    - Download the modem you want to test from this post http://
    xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1507825 .
    - I had the best results with the T-mobile SGH-T989 KID so I'll use that
    for these instructions.
    - After downloading the modem, extract the mdm.bin file. Remember,
    this is the only file you want to mess with right now. (Maybe when we
    do more tweaking we can optimize the amss.bin file and the lib files as
    well.)
    - If you downloaded the T-mobile SGH-T989 KID, save the mdm.bin
    file in /sdcard/TMOBILE/KID folder (internal sd) or the /sdcard/
    external_sd/TMOBILE/KID (external sd card).
    - if you downloaded the T-mobile SGH-T989 VKL1, save the mdm.bin
    file in /sdcard/TMOBILE/VKL1 folder (internal sd) or the /sdcard/
    external_sd/TMOBILE/VKL1 (external sd card).
    - if you downloaded the Telus KJ3, save the mdm.bin file in /sdcard/
    TELUS/ folder (internal sd) or the /sdcard/external_sd/TELUS/
    (external sd card).
    - Good. Now you have the mdm.bin file in a location that tells you
    exactly which modem you will be flashing.
    4. Now all we need to do is copy the mdm.bin to the correct partition
    on the Note.
    - For those using the T-mobile SGH-T989 KID modem the use the
    following command without the quotes.
    "adb shell dd if=/sdcard/external_sd/TMOBILE/KID/mdm.bin of=/
    dev/block/mmcblk0p17" (external storage)
    "adb shell dd if=/sdcard/TMOBILE/KID/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/
    mmcblk0p17" (internal storage)
    - For those using the T-mobile SGH-T989 VKL1 modem use the
    following command without the quotes.
    "adb shell dd if=/sdcard/external_sd/TMOBILE/VKL1/mdm.bin of=/
    dev/block/mmcblk0p17" (external storage)
    "adb shell dd if=/sdcard/TMOBILE/VKL1/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/
    - For those using the Telus KJ3 modem use the following command
    without the quotes.
    "adb shell dd if=/sdcard/external_sd/TELUS/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/
    mmcblk0p17" (external storage)
    "adb shell dd if=/sdcard/TELUS/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/
    5. If all of that went well, all we have to do now is reboot, let the device
    settle down (updating the storage takes a little while longer since we
    put all those modem files in there), and then force the device to use
    HSDPA.
    "adb shell reboot"
    - Let the device restart
    - Look for the 4G icon to appear where only an edge symbol used to
    be.
    - If there is no 4G icon, check you reception strength. I had low
    reception indoors that improved when I went outdoors.
    - If after trying to get a stronger signal you still only get edge, you
    might need to force your phone to use HSPA only.
    - Go to Settings
    - Go to Network mode
    - Select HSPA only
    SOLUTION (At least one solution that works)

Ok. I have successfully managed to get T-mobile 4G working on an AT&T Galaxy Note with absolutely no freezing. I have been able to replicate T-mobile 4G with three different modems: (1) T-mobile SGH-T989 KID, (2) T-mobile SGH-T989 VKL1, and (3) Telus KJ3. These modems can be found in this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1507825. Also, there is full phone functionality.

Here is how I achieved T-Mobile 4G on an AT&T Galaxy Note.

PRELIMINARY NOTES

The AT&T Note was networked unlocked
    I have been on T-Mobile for the past 3 years
    I am on the T-mobile post paid 5GB Data Android Plan (with unlimited talk and text)
    T-mobile sim was in the device while testing the solution
    The Galaxy Note was rooted, and running the latest Saurom Projekt Team Rom with the kernel that comes with that rom (DA_G's kernel I think).
    The phone functions perfectly. My family called while I was testing and there were no issues.

CAVEATS

Signal strength on my note was less than it was on my GS II. Indoors, I struggled to get two bars of reception.
    I have yet to break 5Mbps download speeds and upload speeds are low, usually 1 Mbps or less.

HOW THIS SOLUTION DIFFERS FROM OTHER ATTEMPTS

All other attempts I have seen in both threads attempt to flash both the modem (mdm.bin) and the software that runs/communicates with the modem (amss.bin). CWM solutions were worse because those solutions also flashed two lib files (libril.so and libril-qc-qmi-1.so) that might be adding to the conflict.

Since all of the other solutions were resulting in lags/freezes/crashes, it seemed that either mdm.bin, amss.bin, or one of the lib files must be conflicting with some other component on the device. Since it was confirmed that 4G was possible before the lags/freezes/crashes, it seemed that the modem file was compatible. The only solution left was to eliminate any conflict possibly arising from the amss.bin or the lib files. In a nutshell, the solution is to flash mdm.bin without amss.bin or the lib files.

THE SOLUTION

I recommend using SOLUTION 1 below. It is easy and all you have to do is download the modem you are interested in and flash through CWM. But if you are game, you can go for SOLUTION 2 which is a bit more technical and requires comfort with adb and the dd command. That solution relies on adb and dd to write the mdm.bin file directly to the mmcblk0p17 partition on the device. Before we do that you MUST (1) have a NANDdroid back up and (2) you must follow the instructions here to backup your current mdm.bin/mmcblk0p17 partition so you can restore it when you need to.

2. Power off phone, remove battery, and install T-Mobile sim with a smartphone/data plan.
    3. Power on phone
    4. Make sure you have adb working on your pc with all the necessary samsung usb drivers etc. (sorry, I can't explain that here)
    5. Make sure usb debugging mode is on (Settings, Applications, Development)
    6. Make sure "Unknown sources" is on (Settings, Applications ... this may not be necessary, but it worked for me, so let's just do it.)

- T-mobile SGH-T989 KID - http://www.mediafire.com/?o7d1z5xlox1jxkp
    - T-mobile SGH-T989 VKL1 - http://www.mediafire.com/?872a6s8mccw4dxu

2. Reboot your phone.
    3. That's it. You should be ready to roll and can ignore all the technical stuff below. That is just there so people can build on the work.

- SOLUTION 2 - THE TECHNICAL WAY (or if you have trouble flashing the above)

1. Create three folders on your internal sdcard (/sdcard) or your external sd card (/sdcard/external_sd). These folders are (1) ATT, (2) TMOBILE, and (3) TELUS. Then create two subfolders in the TMOBILE folder: (a) KID, and (b) VKL1.

- Get adb up an running and make certain your phone is connected to your pc.
    - Run the following commands to back up your mdm.bin. You may as well back up your amss.bin as well for good measure.

adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/sdcard/external_sd/ATT/mdm.bin
    adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/external_sd/ATT/amss.bin

- Good. Now your original modem files are backed up on your internal storage or external sd card. Please don't overwrite them. Back them up somewhere else just to be safe.

3. Now we need to download and store either one of the T-Mobile mdm.bin files or the Telus mdm.bin file.

- Download the modem you want to test from this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1507825.
    - I had the best results with the T-mobile SGH-T989 KID so I'll use that for these instructions.
    - After downloading the modem, extract the mdm.bin file. Remember, this is the only file you want to mess with right now. (Maybe when we do more tweaking we can optimize the amss.bin file and the lib files as well.)

- If you downloaded the T-mobile SGH-T989 KID, save the mdm.bin file in /sdcard/TMOBILE/KID folder (internal sd) or the /sdcard/external_sd/TMOBILE/KID (external sd card).

- if you downloaded the T-mobile SGH-T989 VKL1, save the mdm.bin file in /sdcard/TMOBILE/VKL1 folder (internal sd) or the /sdcard/external_sd/TMOBILE/VKL1 (external sd card).

- if you downloaded the Telus KJ3, save the mdm.bin file in /sdcard/TELUS/ folder (internal sd) or the /sdcard/external_sd/TELUS/ (external sd card).

- Good. Now you have the mdm.bin file in a location that tells you exactly which modem you will be flashing.

4. Now all we need to do is copy the mdm.bin to the correct partition on the Note.

- For those using the T-mobile SGH-T989 KID modem the use the following command without the quotes.

"adb shell dd if=/sdcard/external_sd/TMOBILE/KID/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17" (external storage)

"adb shell dd if=/sdcard/TMOBILE/KID/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17" (internal storage)

- For those using the T-mobile SGH-T989 VKL1 modem use the following command without the quotes.

"adb shell dd if=/sdcard/external_sd/TMOBILE/VKL1/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17" (external storage)

"adb shell dd if=/sdcard/TMOBILE/VKL1/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17" (internal storage)

- For those using the Telus KJ3 modem use the following command without the quotes.

"adb shell dd if=/sdcard/external_sd/TELUS/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17" (external storage)

"adb shell dd if=/sdcard/TELUS/mdm.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17" (internal storage)

5. If all of that went well, all we have to do now is reboot, let the device settle down (updating the storage takes a little while longer since we put all those modem files in there), and then force the device to use HSDPA.

"adb shell reboot"

- Let the device restart
    - Look for the 4G icon to appear where only an edge symbol used to be.
    - If there is no 4G icon, check you reception strength. I had low reception indoors that improved when I went outdoors.
    - If after trying to get a stronger signal you still only get edge, you might need to force your phone to use HSPA only.

- Go to Settings
    - Go to Network mode
    - Select HSPA only

OR

- Enter *#2263# on the dialpad
    - Select [2] WCDMA Band Preference
    - Select [3] WCDMA 1700

7. Ok, that's it. Next step, reading through your posts and collecting my bounty :D.

Enjoy the picture evidence of my T-mobile on the AT&T Galaxy Note with no lag/freeze/ or crashes.
    At&t Note / T-mobile 3g/4g fix Found- pledged donors step up[$455 Paid, $235 Left]

To All We have our 1st real FIX to make the Note-717 work on T-Mobile network it is found on post #113 the person who figured it out is tomin.fhl His email is below. a few people have independently verified the fix and did post their results verifying this fix is the REAL DEAL. ALL who pledged to donate to the bounty need to ante up and keep their promised pledge and donate their pledged money to Tomin.fhl. Congrats to him and we all owe our deep felt thanks to him for finding this fix.

From all the XDA Community Thank you Tom...... A Happy Day to be sure !!!..... :D:D:D:D:cool: - oka1
    _______
    The fix is here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23522477&postcount=113

Lets get this guy paid. His Paypal info is here:
    tomin.fhl@gmail.com

1. itsjusttim $60 -PAID
    2. s1mpd1ddy $5 -PAID
    3. chrismfkr8 $50
    4. davidrileysr $100 -PAID
    5. guyinthebushes $20
    6. saudi2usa $50 -WON'T PAY
    7. MSigler $20 -PAID
    8. Snarksneeze $100 -PAID
    9. sashusmom $20 -PAID
    10. Cactoes Gel $20 -PAID
    11. lboy109 $50
    12. neromaverick $20 -PAID
    13. jlpatte2 $10 -PAID
    14. Rudeman74 $20 -PAID
    15. timfresh $50 -PAID
    16. edulienko $50
    17. Talderon $20 -PAID
    18. javqui 25 [3g], $50 [4g]

Total Promised: $690
    Total Paid: $455

Sent from my At&t Note on T-mobile 3g/4g
    in case anyone still have the drop call issues, here's a good work around http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23621077&postcount=2