FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor View 10

CyanoBoot-- encore gets some love too! (u-boot WIP) alpha

2,260 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,431

Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys.

So in the last couple months I ported the encore u-boot menu/console/configuration stuff over to acclaim (Nook Tablet). The acclaim really needed the menu plus had a ton of "2nd bootloader" issues that needed to be addressed to fix the locked bootloader bug. On nemith's suggestion, the u-boot really isn't just for cm7/9 (it can be used with any OS), so I called the newer bootloader, "CyanoBoot". Kind of a working title until I think of something better.

In the process of the acclaim port, the UI menuing interface was rewritten and some small features were added.

Anyhoo... Last night on a whim I decided to port the improvements back to encore's u-boot. So there's a version now for encore as well so that NC can enjoy the UI benefits.

It's similar to the acclaim version, minus fastboot (which we don't need, since encore doesn't use dedicated boot and recovery partitions) and minus a 'clear bootcount' setting since, well, development is up to speed w/NC that such a feature seems not necessary.

That said, here's the new stuff:
  • new exciting splash
  • Indicator in top left. "E" means u-boot is loading from emmc. "S" means it's loading from Sdcard.
  • Additionally you can now see the system's "boot count" - the number after the indicator described above. If this count goes up, your boot count is not being cleared as it should be.
  • Instruction to "hold down "n" for menu"
  • boot menu is way easier to use, clearer, and uncluttered.
  • all the old stuff is there (Nook Color Tweaks' boot settings), combo keys, etc.

If you feel bold and are willing to risk everything, give it a try and let me know if you run into issues. Think of this as an alpha. If people like it, I'll push it to the repo as the default.

To install: It's just "u-boot.bin", and it goes in the first partition of your SD or EMMC. Make sure you have a good backup in case things screw up.

NOTICE: CYANOBOOT (WORKING TITLE) IS HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL AND IS NOT INTENDED TO BE USED BY NON-DEVELOPERS AND/OR THOSE UNWILLING TO ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY UNTOWARD CONSEQUENCES OF USING (OR ATTEMPTING TO USE) THE SOFTWARE. ALL SUCH ACTIVITY MUST OCCUR *ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK* AND YOU ACCEPT ALL CONSEQUENCES FOR DOING SO. THE USE OR ATTEMPTED USE MAY HAVE UNINTENDED RESULTS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA, DAMAGE TO HARDWARE, AND/OR EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA. CYANOBOOT IS NOT ENDORSED, AFFILIATED, SPONSORED, NOR ASSOCIATED WITH THE "DAS U-BOOT" PROJECT, GOOGLE, BARNES AND NOBLE LLC, TEXAS INSTRUMENTS, DENX., NOR ANY OF THEIR PARTNERS, OWNERS, EMPLOYERS, AFFILIATES, CLIENTS, SUBCONTRACTORS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, ADMINSTRATORS, INFORMATION PROVIDERS, ETC. EXCEPT INSOFAR AS THEY HAVE PROVIDED AND LICENSED SOURCE CODE TO BE FURTHER MODIFIED AND DISTRIBUTED. SEE THE RELEVANT GNU PUBLIC LICENSE FOR LICENSING DETAILS AND OTHER DISCLAIMERS. THIS SOFTWARE IS OBVIOUSLY INTENDED FOR USE ONLY BY THOSE WHO ARE AUTHORIZED TO DO SO.

Aside from thanks mentioned in the acclaim thread, I want to add thanks to hacdan and racks for testing for me on emmc and sd.

Seriously though, as opposed to the acclaim version that was in development for weeks, this has been tested for like an hour. On the other hand I actually have a device to try it.

Update March 28, 2012

So thanks to some hard work from tonsofquestions, we've got a new version with some very cool improvements!!!

New Stuff

* The UI now dims out any option in the menu that isn't available
* some nice code refactoring that I was too lazy to do
* the "altboot" button combo (up and down volume keys) will now choose regular boot if altboot is set as default (and vice versa)
* You can now enable a previously "hidden" menu option (plus a second configuration menu) by doing the following commands:

adb shell echo "0" > /rom/u-boot.altboot
adb shell echo "0" > /rom/u-boot.device

This unlocks a "built-in" default menu, effectively doing the same thing as the Tablet Tweaks build options, only right from u-boot itself!

Please test from various configurations (emmc/sdcard/normalboot/altboot/etc/etc)... I haven't tested this one as thoroughly.. or really thoroughly at all. And thanks to tonsofquestions for the contribution!

updates:
9/20/12: Two minor fixes...
9/19/12: Moved to a new repository at nookiedevs.
3/28/12: New features from tonsofquestions. See update notice above.
3/16/12: Clear the "Push n for menu" message on screen once boot has been determined.

cyanoboot-12-9-20.tar.gz
(source)
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to fattire For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fattire Ad-Free

2nd March 2012, 03:30 AM |#3  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 408

More
Dumb question, I don't see a u-boot.bin using Root Explorer looking in root. Shouldn't there be one there that I am replacing with this new one? Or just copy it in there and reboot?
The Following User Says Thank You to 911jason For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 911jason Ad-Free
2nd March 2012, 03:36 AM |#4  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,431

Donate to Me
More
Lightbulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911jason

Dumb question, I don't see a u-boot.bin using Root Explorer looking in root. Shouldn't there be one there that I am replacing with this new one? Or just copy it in there and reboot?

It would go in /boot-- or partition 1. On emmc it looks like: /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 on SD it's /dev/block/mmcblk1p1.

There should indeed be one there already. Along with uImage, uRamdisk, etc...

it's not usually mounted by default. One way to access it is to use these commands from your computer:

$ adb shell mkdir /data/mnt
$ adb shell mount -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /data/mnt
$ adb shell cp /data/mnt/u-boot.bin /data/mnt/u-boot.bin.old
$ adb push u-boot.bin /data/mnt/
$ adb reboot

$ is the prompt, of course. Here's what they do:

1. make a "mount point" (a directory) at /data/mnt so that you can
2. mount the vfat boot partition (p1) at that mount point. Then,
3. backup your old u-boot.bin in case this one is deeply flawed
3. push your local copy of u-boot.bin (CyanoBoot) on top of the old one, and
4. reboot and hope it doesn't crash.

Good luck, and my apologies in advance if/when this screws up. Remember, you are assuming all risk here

(you can also do it by loading clockworkmod, mounting boot to /boot and then backing up and/or pushing u-boot.bin to /boot)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fattire For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fattire Ad-Free
2nd March 2012, 03:42 AM |#5  
Flag Upstate, NY
Thanks Meter: 659

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911jason

its in the boot partition
2nd March 2012, 03:46 AM |#6  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 408

More
Works like a charm! Very nice!
2nd March 2012, 03:47 AM |#7  
Flag Upstate, NY
Thanks Meter: 659

Donate to Me
More
thanks fattire, this in my opinion is much nicer then the other menu we have available to us. hope to see you polish this off
ehh, the possibilities of running 4 OS's with this makes me smile
2nd March 2012, 04:27 AM |#8  
Flag Puyallup, WA
Thanks Meter: 80

Donate to Me
More
Dropped it into one of Eyeballer's nightly opengl zips (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1526115) and it works great! Thanks fattire!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SCrid2000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SCrid2000 Ad-Free
2nd March 2012, 03:01 PM |#9  
Flag Sunny Florida
Thanks Meter: 275

More
Excellent work, Thanks
2nd March 2012, 03:13 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 915

More
Been following your development on the NT even though I don't have one. I was hoping this would be ported sooner or later.
2nd March 2012, 07:23 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Can someone please drop this into a normal ZIP file and put it somewhere where it can be downloaded?

Thanks....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cyanoboot, encore, u-boot

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)