[Guide] OTA updates on non-stock recovery (TWRP)

Search This thread

C0rn3j

Jan 22, 2016
Xiaomi 12
If you've flashed a non-stock recovery like TWRP*, you can not use the OTA update feature. You need to flash the full ROM via TWRP.

* TWRP is now officially supported, make sure you flash that version if you're using an older, unofficial TWRP.

1. Obtain the ROM you want to install. Make sure the download is from miui.com if you want stock
  • Official site -> My phone is the EEA version, so I use the 'Mi 9T EEA' tab. The website does not update links immediately after a ROM update is released, so you may have to do a bit of digging if you want a very recent update.
  • You can also check ROM links on third party sites like ezbox.idv.tw, again, make sure the actual download links are from miui.com and not somewhere else.
  • Latest EEA ROM(Android 10) as of 2020-10-24 -
    V12.0.3.0.QFJEUXM
  • Nightly official LineageOS builds
2. Get into TWRP
  • Either run 'adb reboot recovery'
  • Or power phone off and boot into TWRP by holding PWR+VOL_UP during boot
3. Upload the ROM to the phone
Code:
adb push ~/Downloads/[B]miui_DAVINCIEEAGlobal_V12.0.3.0.QFJEUXM_12b99693bc_10.0.zip[/B] /sdcard/
4. Flash the ROM via TWRP
5. Flash Magisk if you use it, because flashing the ROM deletes it.
6. Remove the update file:
Code:
adb shell rm /sdcard/[B]miui_DAVINCIEEAGlobal_V12.0.3.0.QFJEUXM_12b99693bc_10.0.zip[/B]

That's it! Reboot your phone into your new ROM!

Also check out my debloat list and my detailed phone settings.

Additional note - formatting /system will brick your phone and you'll have to recover using a fastboot ROM.

Last edited:

Benfatica

Please can I get the 10.3.15 ota zip for the official recovery I cant get the update and my phone is now on 10.3.12 it always say no update available even though I have done the update before and returned to 10.3.12 but it does show it to me again and also my otg doesn't work . please help me

Micdu70

Feb 22, 2018
France

Benfatica

I also get this message if I try to download the latest package. Is something wrong with my phone

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-10-04-17-10-08-944_com.android.updater.png
    Screenshot_2019-10-04-17-10-08-944_com.android.updater.png
    202.9 KB · Views: 673

Murshad007

Apr 30, 2012
Lahore
Xiaomi Poco F3
If you've flashed a non-stock recovery like TWRP, you can not use the OTA update feature. You need to flash the full ROM via TWRP.
So how to get around this when the updater is telling you there is an incremental update?
Simple, we tell the updater to download the full image instead, move the update from the original folder so MIUI won't attempt to upgrade from it on next reboot, boot into TWRP and flash the image there.

1. Settings -> About Phone -> System update -> three dots -> Download latest package
2. Get filename of the update:
3. You now have the filename of the update. I got miui_DAVINCIEEAGlobal_V10.3.15.0.PFJEUXM_b6738621e2_9.0.zip and will be using this name throughout the rest of this how-to, replace the examples accordingly based on what name you got.
4. (optional) Backup the latest ROM file to your PC:
5. Prevent MIUI from seeing the update file and trying to update from it on accident by moving the file a folder higher:
6. Power phone off
7. Boot into TWRP by holding PWR+VOL_UP during boot
8. Flash the ROM via TWRP
9. Flash Magisk if you use it, flashing the ROM deletes it.
10. Boot back into Android and remove the update file:

That's it!

You can also download the full ROM directly through miui.com, but keep in mind the website does not instantly update the link there after a ROM update is released.

https://en.miui.com/download-361.html#619 -> My phone is the EEA version, so I use the 'Mi 9T EEA' tab.
Page best viewed in Firefox, clicking on the lock icon -> Arrow icon in the security tab -> Disable protection, since Xiaomi can't even set their website up properly.

In my case the ROM download through phone was corrupted and I had to edit the site URL from the filename I got to get a proper update file:

Redmi K20 Open Beta File Link?

hrissim

Sep 6, 2019
Samokov
Reactions: C0rn3j

rastip

Apr 24, 2006
Pezinok
Hey @C0rn3j
I am on stock 10.3.12.0 PFJEUXM and TWRP 4PDA 3.3.1.-2 fix and Magisk.
My questions:
1. Is it worth the upgrade to MIUI 11 as it is still Android 9
2. If I flash it through TWRP, did you loose any dual app settings? (as I lost dual apps while backing up the phone with TWRP and Titanium backup)
3. as you said I have to flash the Magisk again, did you choose the latest or the same as was installed on the phone before the upgrade?

Thanks in advance for reply

C0rn3j

Jan 22, 2016
Xiaomi 12
Hey @C0rn3j
I am on stock 10.3.12.0 PFJEUXM and TWRP 4PDA 3.3.1.-2 fix and Magisk.
My questions:
1. Is it worth the upgrade to MIUI 11 as it is still Android 9
2. If I flash it through TWRP, did you loose any dual app settings? (as I lost dual apps while backing up the phone with TWRP and Titanium backup)
3. as you said I have to flash the Magisk again, did you choose the latest or the same as was installed on the phone before the upgrade?

Thanks in advance for reply

1. Security updates.
2. I don't use dual apps so I wouldn't know. AFAIK people had issues with using the backup/restore functionality of TWRP on that version. You should probably update it as I believe latest is -4
3. Latest.

rastip

Apr 24, 2006
Pezinok
1. Security updates.
2. I don't use dual apps so I wouldn't know. AFAIK people had issues with using the backup/restore functionality of TWRP on that version. You should probably update it as I believe latest is -4
3. Latest.

I have Nova Launcher, do you use default or as well external one?
Do you think Nova will stay untouched with this upgrade?

rastip

Apr 24, 2006
Pezinok
If the Magisk have to be flashed again, does it mean all the hide settings which were there before has to be set again or stay there from the old version? I have few apps in Magisk hide root, so just wondering how this will be affected with rom update

A second question:

I am on 10.3.12.0 not upgraded yet to 10.3.15.0.
Can I upgrade straight to V11.0.2.0 or first to 10.3.15.0 and then to V11?

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

1. Security updates.
3. Latest.

While flashing did you untick Recovery in the TWRP as I believe the whole 2,2GB ZIP has recovery image and could be flashed and overwrite the TWRP?

Last edited:

akha666

Nov 25, 2013
Your guide not working, twrp failed to install the update "file corrupted".
I've downloaded the OTA package from "http://c.mi.com//miuidownload/detail?device=1700361" and twrp very happy to install this file, my Mi_9T at the latest update 11.

feek.404

Mar 1, 2018
Unfortunately the archive downloaded through the Updater cannot be flashed as is through TWRP (message: file corrupted)

miui_RAPHAELEEAGlobal_V11.0.3.0.QFKEUXM_153f9511ae_10.0.zip

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you've flashed a non-stock recovery like TWRP*, you can not use the OTA update feature. You need to flash the full ROM via TWRP.

* TWRP is now officially supported, make sure you flash that version if you're using an older, unofficial TWRP.

1. Obtain the ROM you want to install. Make sure the download is from miui.com if you want stock
    • Official site -> My phone is the EEA version, so I use the 'Mi 9T EEA' tab. The website does not update links immediately after a ROM update is released, so you may have to do a bit of digging if you want a very recent update.
    • You can also check ROM links on third party sites like ezbox.idv.tw, again, make sure the actual download links are from miui.com and not somewhere else.
    • Latest EEA ROM(Android 10) as of 2020-10-24 -
      V12.0.3.0.QFJEUXM
    • Nightly official LineageOS builds
    2. Get into TWRP
    • Either run 'adb reboot recovery'
    • Or power phone off and boot into TWRP by holding PWR+VOL_UP during boot
    3. Upload the ROM to the phone
    Code:
    adb push ~/Downloads/[B]miui_DAVINCIEEAGlobal_V12.0.3.0.QFJEUXM_12b99693bc_10.0.zip[/B] /sdcard/
    4. Flash the ROM via TWRP
    5. Flash Magisk if you use it, because flashing the ROM deletes it.
    6. Remove the update file:
    Code:
    adb shell rm /sdcard/[B]miui_DAVINCIEEAGlobal_V12.0.3.0.QFJEUXM_12b99693bc_10.0.zip[/B]

That's it! Reboot your phone into your new ROM!

Also check out my debloat list and my detailed phone settings.

Additional note - formatting /system will brick your phone and you'll have to recover using a fastboot ROM.
    Cts failed in eea 12.0.2
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=83140167&postcount=1777

It's a common problem with stock (Android 9, 10) firmwares and unlocked Bootloader - G forces Hardware backed CTS Profile attest causing to detect that Bootloader is unlocked and thus failing CTS Profile (and SafetyNet)

For MIUI, do the following:
    - Install Magisk, make sure to enable Magisk Hide option in Magisk Manager settings
    - Install Magisk module named Magisk Hide Props Config aka MHPC
    - Open Terminal, type props (command line for MHPC)
    - Do not change Fingerprint, but choose option to Edit custom prop
    - Redefine ro.product.model to e.g. Unknown

With that you will pass CTS Profile (and SafetyNet).
    If Google Playstore still shows Device not certified:
    - Airplane mode On
    - Settings, Apps, Manage apps, enable Show system services, search for Google
    - For Google Play Store, Google Play Services and Google Services Framework, delete Cache and Data
    - Reboot, Airplane mode Off and give a time to Google Play to sync
    https://en.miui.com/download-361.html#619 -> My phone is the EEA version, so I use the 'Mi 9T EEA' tab.
    Page best viewed in Firefox, clicking on the lock icon -> Arrow icon in the security tab -> Disable protection, since Xiaomi can't even set their website up properly.
    The most accurate, updated and actual site for Mi 9t/K20 (davinci) firmware/rom - https://mirom.ezbox.idv.tw/en/phone/davinci/
    Hi, i'm actually using V11.0.4.0 global ROM on my Mi9T.
    I've Magisk installed and twrp official recovery.

Is it possible to flash OTA update via twrp ?
    miui-blockota-davinci_global-V11.0.4.0.QFJMIXM-V11.0.5.0.QFJMIXM-aa25177b7f-10.0.zip

1. I don't have to reload original boot image from Magisk before ?
    2. If I can do the OTA update, the recovery will be twrp or original one ?
    3. I have to reflash Magisk and reinstall each module ?

Ps :I search the best way to do the update. That can be other solution, like flash original recovery, restore boot.img on Magisk, do OTA update, reflash modified boot.img before reboot ?

Thanks.
    I did as you wrote in PS (actually I forced update from System Updater by choosing zip file because I did not want to wait for OTA) but after that I read and was assured by a colleague that MIUI OTA zip can be flashed by TWRP

So I tried to OTA update with Magisk and using this smaller (blockota) differential update but it failed. Then I chose the full package and it worked and didn't loose my apps and settings

Of course, I had to root again by Magisk

Suggesting you to try flashing blockota from TWRP. If it fails, then revert to stock boot (or uninstall Magisk - avoid, see below) and try again.
    Or directly flash the full 2.24 GB zip from TWRP - you can do it even with Magisk (patched boot image)

IMO, in that case you will keep TWRP (or OrangeFox) - doing OTA reverts recovery to stock

However, upgrade will revert to stock boot (so you need to patch 11.0.5 boot image and flash again) but Magisk settings (modules, etc,) in /data/adb/ will be preserved
    TWRP 3.4.0 released along with V11.0.6.0.QFJEUXM (non-EEA has MIUI 12 already it seems, maybe later for EEA).

Make sure your TWRP is up to date before you flash other things.
    Oh, thanks - there is indeed (just released) the Official TWRP v3.4.0 for davinci:
    https://dl.twrp.me/davinci/
    and it can finally back-up Data with dual.apps:
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=82910629&postcount=316

Btw, I've upgraded yesterday to QFJEUXM v11.0.6.0 (preserving OrangeFox and Magisk):
    https://xdaforums.com/mi-9t/how-to/update-to-v11-0-6-orangefox-twrp-magisk-t4122649