[HACK] Hard keys remaping [YukiXDA] [10/06]

Search This thread
Y

YukiXDA

Hi,
Here is a methode to remap the hard keys functions as you want, I've done it for HD2 devices in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1114737 but it's exactly the same thing for other HTC devices under WP7 and surely can be adapted for other devices like LG and Samsung.

First to know, there is a list of a function but there isn't a way to affect a long press or double press for now, it don't work like this. (but there is surely a way I won't search since it's good for me now)
For exemple When you long press Search (home button on hd2) you obtain Speech recogntition. If you affect Search to another key you'll obtain too Speech recognition when you'll long press this key.

Second, camera (green on hd2) and power (red on hd2) hard keys run under screen off, it's not the function, So if you wan't a function not run under screen off, just use the template in which it's on another hard key.

To achieve that you have to edit the dll keybdpdd_htc.dll you can find in your ROM (in IMGFS/OEM) section (there are equivalents for aother devices as HTC).
To decompress a rom and rebuild use the package I've post in my thread for HD2.
Don't take it from another rom since it hasn't the same location place in memory or you should have to relocate it.

In this module, edit the file S001, in which you can find this part:

keybdpddhtcdll.gif

On the right in red you can find the functions.
RC_PLAY is the bluetooth function so Play/pause on press, Skip on double press, Answer when receive a call and End call when in call, Quickly call a contact by speech recognition on long press.
RC_UP and RC_DOWN are bluetooth volume but are usually not used by HTC as it use only VOL_UP and VOL_DOWN
CAMSTEP_1 is autofocus and CAMSTEP_2 is camera launcher/shot
SEARCH is search when press and Full speech recognition on long press.

Just after each serie of FF FF FF FF in yellow, you can find a number.
So you can easily find that for exemple that 74 correspond to the function RC_PLAY

At top in blue you can find attribuated functions in the dll for launching actions. It's a serie starting at 00 00 and finishing at 0B 00. For each item there is the associated function.

So starting of the Hard keys we have and the functions we already know we can easily deduce this mapping:
Bluetooth Play | 00 | 74 | RC_PLAY
Bluetooth Vol_up | 01 | 75 | VOL_UP
Bluetooth Vol_Down | 02 | 76 | VOL_DOWN
Power | 03 | 81 | POWER
Camera short press | 04 | 83 | CAMSTEP_1
Camera full press | 05 | 82 | CAMSTEP_2
Volume up | 06 | 75 | VOL_UP
Volume down | 07 | 76 | VOL_DOWN
| 08 | 7F | TOGGLE
Windows | 09 | 5B | START
Search | 0A | 7C | SEARCH
Back | 0B | 1B | BACK

So if you want for exemple the function RC_PLAY instead of the Camera hard key you just have to change 05 00 82 by 05 00 74 in the blue section.

Save and rebuild your rom, you've got it. :)

Last edited:

CopyCounsler

Mar 31, 2008
Will someone please upload their keybdpdd_htc.dll from their HTC device and label it? I really would like to see an HTC arrive, but others are welcome.

I left my phone at home today (accident) and want to look into this ASAP!

Thanks in advance for all that help out here!

webwalk®

Dec 26, 2010
thats nice but i think it only works on your hd2
since you have to flash the edited rom

and i believe we cant flash custom (or hex edited) roms
only hd2 is able to flash unsigned roms..

Y

YukiXDA

webwalk®

Dec 26, 2010
as far as i know, these roms are still signed
and untill now there is no way to self-sign the roms.
i have asked ansar once but didnt get the reply i was hoping for, because it looked like he had provided a custom rom by mixing bootloader and os from different versions in order to unbrand them.

still, with the method you linked you are still flashing the signed rom,
if you only flash the unsigned one it wont work.

now if you would hex the 2nd, the signed rom it would break the crc and shouldnt be able to flash properly, but i can be wrong...

otherwise it may be a simple task to jailbreak nodo

Y

YukiXDA

as far as i know, these roms are still signed
and untill now there is no way to self-sign the roms.
i have asked ansar once but didnt get the reply i was hoping for, because it looked like he had provided a custom rom by mixing bootloader and os from different versions in order to unbrand them.

still, with the method you linked you are still flashing the signed rom,
if you only flash the unsigned one it wont work.

now if you would hex the 2nd, the signed rom it would break the crc and shouldnt be able to flash properly, but i can be wrong...

otherwise it may be a simple task to jailbreak nodo
But some roms he provide don't had nodo before, so he should have the method, no?

volmar

Nov 19, 2008
I can't understant a bit, but is it possible to wake up the LGs with the home button instead of the power one?

empire6

Mar 25, 2009
I have an HTC Surround.. and the power button is broken. So I won't be able to even get into boot loader mode to replace the ROM correct?

Just want to know before I start messing around with ROMs.

Thanks in advance

reeg420

Nov 28, 2007
Newport,RI
I have an HTC Surround.. and the power button is broken. So I won't be able to even get into boot loader mode to replace the ROM correct?

Just want to know before I start messing around with ROMs.

Thanks in advance
You'd still be able to just a little trickier. This is going from the hd7 but I'm sure it's pretty similar. When the phone is completely off when you plug it in it turns on by default. So for me to put the hd7 in bootloader without hitting the power hutton I would do it like this.
1. Pull the battery
2. Put the battery back in
3. Hold down volume up and down( I think that what it is)
4. Plug phone into external power while holding buttons. Phone should go into bootloader.

Sent from my HD7 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

empire6

Mar 25, 2009
Thanks for the reply! I'm very happy I can get into bootloader mode :D

But now I'm learning from the ground up about editing the ROM

Specifically, I'm confused about this part of the instructions:
"Extract the part04.bin from Data.zip of your HD2 WP7rom and place it in this folder (ignore errors)"

The rom is in an exe form and when I view it using an archive program there are no part_.bin files

After extracting the biggest file in the ROM I managed to use RIE to find and save the keybdpdd_htc.dll file and open the different files within but they don't look anything like the example (I'm using simple text editors to view it could that be the problem?)

(again I have a HTC Surround)

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Last edited:

PieOfJustice

Feb 15, 2011
Error: GPS Unavailable
I can't understant a bit, but is it possible to wake up the LGs with the home button instead of the power one?

Thats a little more advanced. See we could now in theory switch the function of the home button to act like the power button but then you would lose the home button. We need to change it's action based on the sensors being clear (Meaning its out of your pocket). Then when the device is on it can still function like the home button.

bryl

May 16, 2008
Can anyone help me. I would like a cab file having:
Shortpress
Call/home menu/search/back/as normal (or hang up)
Longpress
hang up (or as normal)/as normal/as normal/as normal/as normal

No idea if it can be done, but i am no developer.
I have xmod/yuki v2 updateable rom and fully updated and activated thru zune.
Then also installed yuki SP1. So fully functioning wp7.5 ver. 7740.

thnx

Last edited:

Mr_Dat

Feb 10, 2012
i'm trying remappings hard key on samsung focus i917. could anyone tell me which files i have to modify?

Last edited:

eee3+

Jul 14, 2012
*cab

Did you make the cab for your phone? you couldn't share it with us? please...