The AT&T Jelly Bean Release Thread (4.1.1 released; Kies and OTA)

Search This thread

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
I got this info from here....
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00050358&fm_seq=55362

I was able to get mine updated. I downloaded the ROM from Samsung, 738mb. I then flashed it via Odin and it was successful. It DID NOT WIPE any of my data, if you anyone is curious.

I did the same since kies is junk and I lost no data. The only thing I lost was twrp recovery and root. But with cf auto root it was simple to root then I just used goo manager to flash twrp again. The whole process of rooting and twrp took less than 3 minutes. Now cr auto root will trip the flash counter but triangle away fixed that quick to

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

nr2134

Sep 22, 2010
Chicago
Well, after all of the excitement, I'm still running ICS 4.0.4 because the dang Kies will not connect to my phone after uninstalling/reinstalling Kies & drivers x2. In fact, Kies has never been able to connect. I'm using Win 7. At this point I'm willig to pay someone to walk me thhrough the update process using another process that does not root my phone. Any takers?! :laugh:I'm dead serious...

Did you disable any of the system apps? I ran into the same problem last week so I re-enabled all the apps and Kies picked up my phone.

Reactions: rich84

Anon_

May 16, 2012
Steps that I did for a perfect install:
(Phone was rooted)
Plugged it in
Opened Kies
Clicked upgrade firmware
Kies downloaded and did the upgrade.
All of my data/settings were untouched except for my APN settings (StraightTalk user). I lost root but I Odin'd CF root and I'm rooted again.

JB is much faster and smoother. Apps are opening quicker and screen transitions are faster. The keyboard was changed too and it looks nice.

gnahc79

Nov 2, 2007
San Jose,CA
Well, after all of the excitement, I'm still running ICS 4.0.4 because the dang Kies will not connect to my phone after uninstalling/reinstalling Kies & drivers x2. In fact, Kies has never been able to connect. I'm using Win 7. At this point I'm willig to pay someone to walk me thhrough the update process using another process that does not root my phone. Any takers?! :laugh:I'm dead serious...

is USB debugging enabled before you connect your S3? I've always though it had to be disabled, but for whatever reason with stock 4.0.4 LH9 to JB I could only get Kies to see my phone with USB debugging enabled.
And yes, Kies is a huge PITA.

393stroker

Sep 24, 2011
New Orleans
@MrRobinson. Is there any other place to get the stock image besides samsung-update or kies. I would like to use mobile Odin. The Samsung-update has been down since last night. Can I use your method with Mobil Odin even if it has root injected. I will not have access to a computer for a while. I have searched through your thread and haven't seen this answered. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Last edited:

nmbr1ctrman

May 3, 2011
Provo, Utah
No luck running the update

I have had no success installing the update using Kies.

1. Tried to update the phone normally, just turned on kies, clicked on the available update. Froze at 7%. It did this multiple times.
2. Uninstalled java completely and reinstalled. uninstalled Kies and re-installed with a fresh copy straight from the website. Unstalled Samsung drivers completely and reinstalled. Wont get past 0% now.
3. Changed USB ports - Stopped recognizing the device.
4. Ran the program in Windows XP sp3 and with admin right. Still no go.

Any suggestions? I'm hitting a wall here. Is there an update file I can run using Odin? I'm on SGH-I747, running Windows 7.

DontHaveACLue

Oct 25, 2010
I have had no success installing the update using Kies.

1. Tried to update the phone normally, just turned on kies, clicked on the available update. Froze at 7%. It did this multiple times.
2. Uninstalled java completely and reinstalled. uninstalled Kies and re-installed with a fresh copy straight from the website. Unstalled Samsung drivers completely and reinstalled. Wont get past 0% now.
3. Changed USB ports - Stopped recognizing the device.
4. Ran the program in Windows XP sp3 and with admin right. Still no go.

Any suggestions? I'm hitting a wall here. Is there an update file I can run using Odin? I'm on SGH-I747, running Windows 7.

Look on the previous page

Download the stock image here.

Download Odin linked to in my thread.

extract the zip you downloaded above. use odin to flash it. details in my thread but instead of using my root injected image you are using pure stock.

Reactions: nmbr1ctrman

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
@Mrrobertson. Is there any other place to get the stock image besides samsung-update or kies. I would like to use mobile Odin. The Samsung-update has been down since last night. Can I use your method with Mobil Odin even if it has root injected. I will not have access to a computer for a while. I have searched through your thread and haven't seen this answered. Thanks for your help!

yes you can use it with mobile odin and then click on the supersu app once boot and there is an option there to remove root. once that is done you are exactly stock.

Reactions: 393stroker

waiters

Nov 9, 2011

That's how I upgraded.

Odin from there.. Was running hot for like an hr, rebooted like two times. Installed and set up kts kernel. Been running all day perfectly.

Also random number generator benchmarks report I'm a lot faster now. Not sure how accurate that is though :)

Liking new jb.. Just miss the data toggle :(

Pushas

Dec 4, 2012
ok i just want to kill the person who is responsible for kies. I tried everything, unistalling/installing billion times, getting older/newer drivers and still i'm at the same ****ty place: when i connect my galaxy to usb, kies recognizes, sees it's shg-i747, but on the main screen it is still saying Connecting. anyone could help? i'm never flashed, rooted or anyting like that. Could the problem be place? I'm in europe now and i'm using other courier (european)

e07015

Jun 17, 2010
Chicago
You obviously have never used the motorola programs! The sucked horribly! Then again so did the phones!

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

ok i just want to kill the person who is responsible for kies. I tried everything, unistalling/installing billion times, getting older/newer drivers and still i'm at the same ****ty place: when i connect my galaxy to usb, kies recognizes, sees it's shg-i747, but on the main screen it is still saying Connecting. anyone could help? i'm never flashed, rooted or anyting like that. Could the problem be place? I'm in europe now and i'm using other courier (european)

Sounds wierd but try updating your Microsoft media player. I was having issues connecting to Kies also. Finally tech told me to try upgrading Media player to get newer drivers. Immediately worked.

aboveusonlysky

May 1, 2011
Atlanta
Tried to update this morning and it failed. Tried again later and it worked. Got a couple of FCS immediately. Lost root too. :mad:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
Who ever have problem with updating to JB by Kies. Backup your important data and apps and do THIS then root using THIS metod. Restore your data and apps( i hope you know how)...

Good luck

Send from 4.1.1 root SGH-I747

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4.1.1 is out and, contrary to what Samsung said, the update is available on Kies and OTA! Yes, OTA is here!

Congrats to Corey_r and longcat14 for winning the pool. No one else even had a chance, haha. :)

To enter and/or view the Release Date Pool, check the 2nd post.

"One thread to rule them all..."

Instructions: Post all yo rumors, rants, and revelations about the upcoming AT&T Jelly Bean update here.

Official release date from Samsung: "Coming Soon!"
    (last checked on 11/30; source)

Official release date from AT&T: "...very near future."
    (last checked on 11/30; source; thanks, Randun)

Anonymous Source: Samsung's AT&T GS3 Jelly Bean User Trials started in May and have been completed; we're just waiting on AT&T. The ROM should be in its final stages of testing soon.

Jelly Bean Version: Most likely 4.1 Before 11/28, chatter from multiple official AT&T sources stated 4.2 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) However, then AT&T quietly released the above Support Article, which stated 4.1.The Support Article is the most concrete evidence we have, so it will probably be Jelly Bean 4.1. :)

Confirmed Jelly Bean TouchWiz features:

Camera
    • New camera/camcorder filters: warm vintage, cold vintage, black and white, sepia, color highlights(blue, green, red/yellow), and many more.
    • Pause and resume recording
    • Low light mode (uses HDR)
    Phone-wide
    • Pop Up Play can be resized and paused
    • Introduction of Easy Mode: large Easy widgets (for first-time smartphone users)
    • Introduction of Blocking Mode: disable incoming calls, notifications, alarms, and LED indicators for a designated period of time
    • Introduction of Swype® Keyboard (bundled)
    • AllShare® Cast Wireless Hub support
    • NFC One Touch Pairing Support: pair a supported Bluetooth device via NFC
    (source)
    Complete noob.. I finally got kies to connect to my phone, but now it keeps asking me upgrade Kies to the latest version and then upgrade firmware. Once I click the Update Kies button right next to it, it immediately says the latest version is installed. After I do this, it doesnt seem anything has changed and it tells me the current firmware version is android 4.0.4. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a different way for me to update since ive never rooted or messed with stock settings? thanks

So i was able to update my rooted stock ICS phone to the JB but i lost root. Im tempted to try rooting again via odin but worried of messing up my phone.

Could flash stock rooted image here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426
    Maybe if I shove a actual jellybean in my usb port my phone will update itself.

This seems to be a thread for ranting and wild speculation than what the OP has intended. Maybe we should get back on topic before a mod is needed...

Idk why you guys are hassling ATT about the release date. The only people who would know best would be the programmers at Samsung...Just my two cents

Sent from my Galaxy S III

From OP

Instructions: Post all yo rumors, rants, and revelations about the upcoming AT&T Jelly Bean update here.
    Yeah, but unfortunately, we're under a contract to pay AT&T for service. They aren't under a contract to provide updates to our phones unless they are essential to maintaining daily function of the device. This is why carriers shouldn't be determining if/when android updates are released. There is no value added to any tweaks that AT&T makes on the devices.