Galaxy Note 8 Battery Life

Search This thread

Corrine25

Oct 17, 2017
Is it ok to lose 10% of the battery life of samsung Note 8 in one hour usage only in browsing social media?I fully charged my device 8 hours before using it.

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
If you're using a leech of an app like facebook app then it wouldn't surprise me...

He is not experiencing a leach app, unless he is using Google play services.

I am recently testing a recent beta play services. Outside of speed Improvements, battery run time is pretty good, though you need to kill 60 background services to keep unneeded play services from hogging cpu threads in background.

Google wants every bit of your data, and will not turn off disabled services. So, just don't trust what you see in settings for connectivity and location. If such settings were truly disabled, I would not have to hack into play services to kill them.

Right now I am able to get 13 hrs run time with stock KitKat Boeffla kernel and speed mods in the utility. Until I can eek out 60+% display power usage while in use, 13 hrs is the max anyone can have period.

Oh, by the way... greenify won't get you there... prevent running is greener than greenify.

So if your are above 4% battery used, every 30 minutes of browsing, then play services or too many apps running in background.

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
My battery life

Well, I have stock 4.4.2 with Beoffla Kernel and a few mods with S5 apps and libs along with some ported Tab system apps.

I get about 1 hr per 8 % on my standard usage.

Here are some images... below is 30 minute mix of use. Notice my Chrome services blocking has limited multiple sandbox and consumption.

Screenshot_2017_12_16_08_04_59.png

This is my top charge time... takes 8 minutes of idle time to drop 1% from a full charge.

2017_12_16_08_02_57.png

Here are my background services... Notice play services and framework are low compared to other system service. Play services will drop below Samsung keyboard when I am doing more typing and work.

2017_12_16_07_59_28.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I noticed my battery charging funny. Power level dropped from 60% to 40% in a second, and charge goes 100% when it reaches 92%. Lithium ion has some charging memory issues unlike it was thought before.

I had a friend who told me he ruined his battery's ability to hold a charge from the constant charging at work and at home, even with the indicator saying it's fully charged.

And so, I've started strictly implementing plug charging at 20% and pulling out the plug at 80% charged, 3 weeks ago for this 4-month old Note 8.

Have a watch here why this is a better way to manage your charges so you get more life with your device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOi1NF7Ipek&feature=youtube_gdata_player

AndroidGuy explains the whys.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD app
    Here are some pics of the back cover removal and the battery disconnection.
    What you need to do is root your device and install the Xposed platform (Google for it; lots of instructions out there on how to root the Note 8 as well as to install Xposed in general). Then install either the Samsung DVFS Disabler module, or the Wanam Xposed module. Both have options to disable DVFS (it's the Dynamic Voltage Frequency Switching over time that confuses the battery fuel chip into thinking it has 40-50%+ less capacity than it actually has and once the fuel chip becomes miscalibrated, the only way to fix it is to force it to reset itself and the only way to do that right now is to cut power to the chip (theoretically, there should be a way to do it in software and someone here found the data sheet for the chip, but the instructions didn't work; either the data sheet was wrong, it was the wrong sheet (i.e. the Note 8 is not using the fuel chip we thought it was), or we weren't doing it right). A battery pull will do it, but also running down the battery to 0%-ish will do it. Problem is, the reason why it dies so fast is that the chip thinks it's at 0% when really, there's 40% or more of charge left (this is why it only lasts for 1.5-3 hours once you have the problem, rather than the 7-10+ hours it should last), so the only way to run it down is by leaving the device on in recovery mode until it turns itself off (which could take hours), but that's risky since if the voltage gets too low, you may not be able to charge it up again (that's why devices have auto-power off when the battery is almost empty; to prevent it from running down too much to the point where you can no longer charge it up again) so a battery pull is safer but more inconvenient). Once you reset the fuel chip, everything is fine again, but if DVFS is left on, the problem will return eventually.

Using the Wanam module to disable DVFS is better than the standalone module, because there are some other fixes included in it (but like the DVFS Disabler, you have to activate them). You can activate the SDcard permission fix which makes writing to the external SD card behave like it used to pre-KitKat, as well as the SystemServer Crash fix (if you've ever noticed your Samsung KitKat ROM randomly reboots for no reason, this option may help). You can find all of these options under the Advanced menu of the Wanam Xposed module. Or there are separate Xposed modules that can do those too. The choice is yours.

Edit: However, be aware that you'll trigger the Knox flag if you root the device so if you're still under warranty and care about that, or if you actually use the Knox container for work stuff or whatnot, then you may need to consider how you want to proceed. Mine is out of warranty and I don't use Knox, so rooting wasn't an issue for me.

Sent from my SGH-T859 using Tapatalk
    How do you disconnect the battery? You opened the tablet?

On my tablet, the battery discharges quickly 100% -> 80% at 1 h 20 min (low use)
    Deep sleep is working properly, if the tablet is not used (the battery still 100%).

Yup. The back cover can be popped of just like the back of most phones, with a safe removal tool (or a guitar pick or possibly some other slender object) it is pretty simple if you work your way around the cover slowly and don't force anything. I think there was even a link to a video showing how to do this posted earlier in the thread. After the cover is off you simply need to unplug the connector for the battery (it's fairly obvious which connector. The battery is the big white thing that takes up most of the space, and if you follow the wires coming out of the battery you'll see the connector) to undo the connector you need to pry the middle part of it straight up. Sorry if that isn't quite clear, I'll pop the back off and see if I can take a couple pics when I get home.
    I left mine disconnected for about an hour, then put it back together and charged it fully and it was a night and day difference. Before I'd be VERY lucky to get 3 hours of screen on time with light use. Now I've got 3 and a half hours and still have 65% left. It also seems to have fixed the weird jumps to 100% when charging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I wanna share my trial of battery calibration that really make a significant different at least till now .. I used to make calibration by discharge / charge cycles, but this time i add an official instruction of Apple:
    - discharge the battery by ur normal usage till 1% then let the device play an HD movie till it shut down (that may take some time as it for me takes 4 hours!!) then turn it on to make sure the battery read 0% (my previous calibration the battery always shut down at 1% and I never see that 0% as I was discharging it vigorously) after making sure it is 0% it will turn off by itself anyway.
    - now leave ur device turned off for extended time (about 5 hours or more is better according to apple "u could let it while u r sleeping")
    - after that turn the device on and plug it in as it is on
    - left it charges as it likes (for my trial it takes 7 hours and didn't say charged!! but I had to unplug it as I had to leave the work!)

till now my battery is really significantly improved, hoping to continue like that and I will keep u updated
    Hope that helps :good: