818 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,161

Post Reply Email Thread
25th November 2012, 03:37 AM |#21  
Flag Long Beach, CA area
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Ok I'm going to be a newbie here...

Doing the first 2 steps will completely wipe the device?
Or are you able to keep the rom and kernel you are already running?

Sent from Keone's Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

25th November 2012, 03:43 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Can this be done through CM?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
25th November 2012, 05:01 AM |#23  
Ventura
Thanks Meter: 393

More
I have my current rom installed and nandroided so I installed the multirom zip and fastbooted twrp. The internal rom is aokp 4.2 and if I install multirom.zip I can no longer boot my internal, first it lets me choose internal then freezes at the google screen. If I reinstall my current rom it will boot but multirom ui goes away. Then if I reinstall multirom.zip and reflash my rom plus reinject current boot it does the same. sorry if this sounds a little bad as it is really hard to word it.

so basically If I flash multirom.zip i cannot boot my internal rom whatsoever, if rom is reinstalled and bypasses multirom it boots fine.

ubuntu boots fine thank you so much for that

Edit: was able to boot into android successfully once, but ubuntu boots every time. Don't know why internal rom is being so difficult.
25th November 2012, 07:22 AM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
this sounds fun,i'll definitely keep up with this thread
25th November 2012, 07:54 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Mine seems to be hanging on "Booting Rom... Internal"

I was running 4.2 aokp before I started the procedure..

EDIT - If i inject the boot.img file that is located in rom/internal, it will then boot the rom, but after a reboot, it gets stuck again..

EDIT2 - I done a complete wipe of my tablet, including sdcard, flashed stock 4.2 applied it all again, and it still hang on Booting Rom, i am running trinity kernel, let me try without that.
25th November 2012, 11:22 AM |#26  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestige777

My understanding of Ubuntu is that it can run microsoft office through the use of a virtual machine, does this support the use of a virtual machine?

What you say is true, but only for devices with an x86 CPU (i.e. a PC or Mac). It's because you need to be able to install Windows in the virtual machine, and Windows is only currently made available for x86 architectures.

Maybe one day someone will work out how to install Windows RT in a virtual machine under Ubuntu on a Nexus 7, and then it might be possible to run Microsoft Office for Windows RT. Don't hold your breath though.
25th November 2012, 11:32 AM |#27  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 129

More
OK this is awesome and something I have been waiting for. I got it up and running. Ubuntu is smooth and to have an options to choose between roms is just beautiful. I'm completed now and I can die in peace

Thanks
25th November 2012, 11:48 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqp

What you say is true, but only for devices with an x86 CPU (i.e. a PC or Mac). It's because you need to be able to install Windows in the virtual machine, and Windows is only currently made available for x86 architectures.

Maybe one day someone will work out how to install Windows RT in a virtual machine under Ubuntu on a Nexus 7, and then it might be possible to run Microsoft Office for Windows RT. Don't hold your breath though.

Sorry, but that is a total nonsene. Athough you can use virtualised windows to run MS office, It is just waste of system resources, free space and money for Win license - as long as it will work on wine and to my experience, MS office is working fine on wine. I did not tested anything above 2007 as I do not have access to it, but I see no reason why it should not work. After all, MS Office was one of the main reason why was wine project started...

Another thing is, whether or not the wine itself got ported for nexus, but sooner or later it will be...
25th November 2012, 01:30 PM |#29  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Brno

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow999

Ok I'm going to be a newbie here...

Doing the first 2 steps will completely wipe the device?
Or are you able to keep the rom and kernel you are already running?

Sent from Keone's Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

It wil not wipe anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xopher.hunter

....The internal rom is aokp 4.2....

Give me link to that ROM, so that I can try it.

EDIT: Also, is your filesystem upgraded to 4.2 version? I mean, do you have the /data/media/0/ folder or not?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tasssadar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tasssadar Ad-Free
25th November 2012, 01:57 PM |#30  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kar10s

Sorry, but that is a total nonsene. Athough you can use virtualised windows to run MS office, It is just waste of system resources, free space and money for Win license - as long as it will work on wine and to my experience, MS office is working fine on wine. I did not tested anything above 2007 as I do not have access to it, but I see no reason why it should not work. After all, MS Office was one of the main reason why was wine project started...

What a rude reply.

I am very well aware of Wine, but user prestige777 asked if MS Office could be run in a virtual machine on a Nexus 7. I simply explained why it currently cannot, without making any comment about whether it would be the best way or not. I do not see how that information qualifies to be called "total nonsene" (sic).

Furthermore, as your experience of Office under Wine is somewhat limited, I can tell you that Office 2010 did not run under Wine for at least a year after its release, until Wine was updated to be compatible. So people wanting to run Office 2010 on Linux distributions at that time had to do it in a virtual machine or not at all. And modern PCs with multi-TB disks, quad core CPUs and 12 or 16 GB of RAM can run multiple virtual machines without any trouble at all - "waste of system resources" is a complete non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar10s

Another thing is, whether or not the wine itself got ported for nexus, but sooner or later it will be...

That may be so, but Microsoft Office for x86 will never run under Wine on a Nexus 7, so that's not actually going to help. Or are you assuming Office for Windows RT will one day be released by Microsoft as a separate product? Personally I wouldn't bet on that.
25th November 2012, 02:59 PM |#31  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Brno

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl0ss

Mine seems to be hanging on "Booting Rom... Internal"
I was running 4.2 aokp before I started the procedure..

EDIT - If i inject the boot.img file that is located in rom/internal, it will then boot the rom, but after a reboot, it gets stuck again..

EDIT2 - I done a complete wipe of my tablet, including sdcard, flashed stock 4.2 applied it all again, and it still hang on Booting Rom, i am running trinity kernel, let me try without that.

Give me link to that aokp ROM, I can see at least 3 ROMs saying they are AOKP.

Also, can you get me logcat? "adb logcat" should already work in that "Booting ROM" phase. If not, try following - when it gets stuck on "Booting ROM" again, press power button for 10s until it reboots and then press both power button and volume down. When you'll get into bootloader, use volume up/down to select recovery mode and then press power button.
Whe you'll get into recovery, use adb shell on your computer and do this:
Code:
cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/kmesg.txt
File "kmesg.txt" will be created on your sdcard. Get me that file, it contains debug info from multirom.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tasssadar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tasssadar Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dualboot, multiboot, multirom, ubuntu

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)