FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Chromecast will not connect to my TELUS ROUTER

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By mydrl, Junior Member on 26th September 2013, 06:41 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Chromecast wont connect to my telus router (Actiontec V1000H). I can't see any option to enable/disable AP Isolation. Is there any solution for this?

fixed

14th November 2013, 02:48 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
2237 9525694
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydrl

Chromecast wont connect to my telus router (Actiontec V1000H). I can't see any option to enable/disable AP Isolation. Is there any solution for this?

fixed

How?
The Following User Says Thank You to rbaxter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rbaxter Ad-Free
16th November 2013, 10:57 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
try changing the wifi channel the router uses
19th December 2013, 05:19 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydrl

fixed

How did you fix this?
19th December 2013, 06:43 AM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,020

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBob

try changing the wifi channel the router uses

Good advice.

Remember that the WiFi bands (channels) are not exactly the same between countries. So if you're in a non-US country and your router happens to choose a channel that is not available in the US, Chromecast may not detect your wireless AP.
19th December 2013, 03:53 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 113

More
But Telus is Canadian, and Canada has the same WiFi channels as the U.S. (Canada and the U.S. necessarily share identical radio spectrum allocation).
19th December 2013, 04:00 PM |#7  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1

But Telus is Canadian, and Canada has the same WiFi channels as the U.S. (Canada and the U.S. necessarily share identical radio spectrum allocation).

Didn't know that. Thanks! Still applies to other countries though. I think Channel 13 is one of the channels that applies to Europe but not US. I should put it in the FAQ...

EDIT: Seems there's far less exclusion than I thought... but added a note in the FAQ just in case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
22nd December 2013, 03:09 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
So I can get through the setup phase up until the Chromecast tries to connect to my wifi network. I get a message saying it couldn't connect, and when I click the link in the message it brings me to a page that mentions AP filtering, UPNP enabling and .NET 3.5. I checked and UPNP is enabled, and I can't find an option for AP filtering (I have the Actiontech V1000h). I am using a Macbook pro.
22nd December 2013, 03:40 AM |#9  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp34

So I can get through the setup phase up until the Chromecast tries to connect to my wifi network. I get a message saying it couldn't connect, and when I click the link in the message it brings me to a page that mentions AP filtering, UPNP enabling and .NET 3.5. I checked and UPNP is enabled, and I can't find an option for AP filtering (I have the Actiontech V1000h). I am using a Macbook pro.

In some cases you have to go through a couple of times. I just reset my Chromecast to test a few things and had to go through the setup twice before it connected to my WiFi.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bhiga Ad-Free
10th February 2014, 07:50 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Chromecast in Canada, on Telus
A friend lent me his chromecast. He uses an iphone and Shaw cable. I use a Nexus 4, and have Telus as my internet provider.

It was a bear trying to get chromecast to work. Tried 5 separate days. Got it to work and i could watch netflix/youtube on it about 3 times and played with it for a couple of hours each. That's the success.

The fail is that I had to trouble shoot more then 4+ hours to get it to work those 3 times. Reboot the chromecast. Reboot the router. Reboot my Nexus 4. Try my wife's Nexus 4. Try the Nexus 7 tablet. It was a horrible experience. I got the AP recommendation like the earlier post in this thread. I tried that. Tried calling telus and signed into my router to check that those settings were correct. As far as I understand it's a gateway 11n wireless router.

So my conclusion is change my internet provider to Shaw unless someone has a smart solution to this problem. The router says it's a 50ghz signal? So it isn't the 2.4vs 5.0 ghz signal problem that I've googled and read about.

Please provide some brains to my situation. I've used all of mine up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

In some cases you have to go through a couple of times. I just reset my Chromecast to test a few things and had to go through the setup twice before it connected to my WiFi.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnson2423 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift johnson2423 Ad-Free
13th March 2014, 08:38 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Still not fixed.
So I took the plunge and bought one. Maybe it'd be different than my friends. Looks like this is a me problem. The chromecast still doesn't work. I thought it might be the tv that it's plugged into? Maybe shielding the chromecast from the wifi? I don't know. Will trouble shoot with a different tv or a long hdmi cable that will get the chromecast out from behind the tv. Maybe that'll help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)