[Q] How to disable downloaded update?

Search This thread

CNemo7539

Feb 3, 2008
Hi all!

Is there any way to disable update notification message on Verizon GS5? Update is already downloaded.
I'm rooted and with some apps frozen. If I run update it fails.
So, actually more than one question...

I assume I can unfreeze everything and attempt to update. Is it going to break root? Is this going to be rootable after that update?

It is probably answered multiple times, but I cannot find definite, direct answer. So help will be appreciated!

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
You neglected to tell us how or what you searched for. It's almost impossible to miss all of the existing threads on the subject, don't know how you missed them but we don't know how, what or if you tried searching.

Google search: block update notifications verizon xda

Dozens of threads, asking and answering the same question.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
You neglected to tell us how or what you searched for. It's almost impossible to miss all of the existing threads on the subject, don't know how you missed them but we don't know how, what or if you tried searching.

dude everytime i come into a thread to help someone you're here telling people to search, just answer or ignore it, I admire your determination but it's annoying to see, 5,776,168 members ? Just change your sig to say use search first, there are plenty of them if you search for them ;)

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Hi all!

Is there any way to disable update notification message on Verizon GS5? Update is already downloaded.

I assume I can unfreeze everything and attempt to update. Is it going to break root? Is this going to be rootable after that update?

It is probably answered multiple times, but I cannot find definite, direct answer. So help will be appreciated!

Chances are you won't be able to run it anyway, as you're rooted, just either remove it in titanium, or freeze it, or rename the update apk by putting a .bak on the end of the file name and the odex file too.

Reactions: ShapesBlue

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
dude everytime i come into a thread to help someone you're here telling people to search, just answer or ignore it, I admire your determination but it's annoying to see, 5,776,168 members ? Just change your sig to say use search first, there are plenty of them if you search for them ;)

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Chances are you won't be able to run it anyway, as you're rooted, just either remove it in titanium, or freeze it, or rename the update apk by putting a .bak on the end of the file name and the odex file too.

They would indeed be able to run it but since the update fails because VZW is able to determine if your rooted the update will fail every single time. I wouldn't worry too much about the update as VZW is finding ways to patch the exploits ie towelroot and the S3 with the upcoming patch will be unable to be rooted.

Sadly there are a lot of members who remind members to constantly search, a good majority of them don't even bother so that might be why he refers to it every single time

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dlads and fffft

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
dlad said:
you won't be able to run it anyway

Everytime I reply to a thread, you follow with an opinion that is clearly in factual error. Your dedication to increasing your post count is impressive even though it contributes nothing constructive. You were accurate when you characterized yourself as annoying but that is a blight easily solved with a kill filter.

Of course he can run it, as the poster after you correctly observed. Root is sufficient to block the two main processes, the update app and the notification app. One just needs to note Verizon's habit of appending vzw to otherwise standard nomenclature.

Verizon can independently search for evidence of root leading to further notifications. And there is no assured way to block that eventuality.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Everytime I reply to a thread, you follow with an opinion that is clearly in factual error. Your dedication to increasing your post count is impressive even though it contributes nothing constructive. You were accurate when you characterized yourself as annoying but that is a blight easily solved with a kill filter.

Of course he can run it, as the poster after you correctly observed. Root is sufficient to block the two main processes, the update app and the notification app. One just needs to note Verizon's habit of appending vzw to otherwise standard nomenclature.

Verizon can independently search for evidence of root leading to further notifications. And there is no assured way to block that eventuality.

So when i rooted my phone, my phone failed to even check for updates! All i'm saying about you is the fact that you tell every single person to search, although I get it, you are wasting your time, lastly you really can't call anybody annoying m8, I didn't characterize myself as annoying, what you do every single day is ridicule people for not using the search button you aren't even addressing me and i'm even tired of it.

This is Q+A, it's made for people to ask questions.

And about my post count, I think your math is off, I've been on XDA since 2010 (2007 actually different account) i'm on 3,658 posts, You've been on here for 1 year you have a third of my posts, so theoretically speaking and at the rate you sprout your posts, you will have surpassed my post count in less time than I did, for someone who attempts to sound smart you've had quite an oversight there.

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

They would indeed be able to run it but since the update fails because VZW is able to determine if your rooted the update will fail every single time. I wouldn't worry too much about the update as VZW is finding ways to patch the exploits ie towelroot and the S3 with the upcoming patch will be unable to be rooted.

Sadly there are a lot of members who remind members to constantly search, a good majority of them don't even bother so that might be why he refers to it every single time

Thanks, I wasn't able to update, I was speaking from my own experiences, and as I said to ffffffft there are over 5 million members on XDA, is he planning on warning everyone? There is a thread in every single section on XDA, telling people to search. I've been there and attempted to tell people to search, doesn't help, there will always be threads of the same question, telling noobs isn't going to change that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShapesBlue

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
So when i rooted my phone, my phone failed to even check for updates! All i'm saying about you is the fact that you tell every single person to search, although I get it, you are wasting your time, lastly you really can't call anybody annoying m8, I didn't characterize myself as annoying, what you do every single day is ridicule people for not using the search button you aren't even addressing me and i'm even tired of it.

And about my post count, I think your math is off, I've been on XDA since 2010 (2007 actually different account) i'm on 3,658 posts, You've been on here for 1 year you have a third of my posts, so theoretically speaking and at the rate you sprout your posts, you will have surpassed my post count in less time than I did, for someone who attempts to sound smart you've had quite an oversight there.

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Thanks, I wasn't able to update, I was speaking from my own experiences, and as I said to ffffffft there are over 5 million members on XDA, is he planning on warning everyone? There is a thread in every single section on XDA, telling people to search. I've been there and attempted to tell people to search, doesn't help, there will always be threads of the same question, telling noobs isn't going to change that.

Honestly VZW can search for root on my phone all they want but the truth of the matter is its my phone and I'll do whatever I want with it. I learned long ago to never take an ota from them. Rooting isn't against the law so screw them

From my Wicked S3 running MIUI at the moment

Reactions: dlads

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Yea for sure. Sadly though rooting as least on horrible verizon may become a thing of the past

From my Wicked S3 running MIUI

Hopefully not, rooting and having a tinker is what makes android great, I dread to think how I would feel if I was forced into the world of Apple, think I might end up with windows mobile :eek: yea I don't want to think like that, long live rooting I say.

I've heard bad things about Verizon doing things to their phones, do you not have a third party retailer in the states? I know that in the UK most people, especially people who want to modify their handsets, will buy from Carphone warehouse or even phones 4 u. You basically end up with the international unlocked version of the handset, as it was intended. I made the mistake of getting my Z1 from EE, turned out that the bootloader couldn't be unlocked no matter what I did, so I bricked it and sent it off for repair through Carphone, got a fully unlocked brand new handset back in five days.

Last edited:

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
Hopefully not, rooting and having a tinker is what makes android great, I dread to think how I would feel if I was forced into the world of Apple, think I might end up with windows mobile :eek: yea I don't want to think like that, long live rooting I say.

I've heard bad things about Verizon doing things to their phones, do you not have a third party retailer in the states? I know that in the UK most people, especially people who want to modify their handsets, will buy from Carphone warehouse or even phones 4 u. You basically end up with the international unlocked version of the handset, as it was intended. I made the mistake of getting my Z1 from EE, turned out that the bootloader couldn't be unlocked no matter what I did, so I bricked it and sent it off for repair through Carphone, got a fully unlocked brand new handset back in five days.

There are several carriers, verizon and AT&T being the worst. Sadly verizon will never again have a nexus device available which is completely stupid on there part because they are losing a lot of customers.

From my Wicked S3 running MIUI

CNemo7539

Feb 3, 2008

Thanks for direct answer! I support your point of view on the topic! Why bother if one so upset. Either answer or ignore. Threads will be way shorter and meaningful.

Reactions: dlads

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Thanks for direct answer! I support your point of view on the topic! Why bother if one so upset. Either answer or ignore. Threads will be way shorter and meaningful.

True :) And I have no idea ;) And you're welcome, I wasn't 100% on the Verizon thing, I only knew what I'd tried myself, I was rooted and updates didn't work for me, maybe a mistake to assume it'd be the same for you, perhaps if it's going to be a huge difference there should be different sections ?

I dunno?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi all!

Honestly VZW can search for root on my phone all they want but the truth of the matter is its my phone and I'll do whatever I want with it. I learned long ago to never take an ota from them. Rooting isn't against the law so screw them

Lol same here m8, first thing i do is root.