How's everyone's battery life?

Search This thread

sportsinger75

Aug 4, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
So how's everyone's battery life on the HD? I've gotten about 11 hours average with decent usage, but I instilled Juice Defender and I'm getting about 20 hours now or so. Noticed better battery life on the One X but that's probably just because the One line from HTC has incredible standby time.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Kedakari

Oct 29, 2010
Washington DC
www.facebook.com
So how's everyone's battery life on the HD? I've gotten about 11 hours average with decent usage, but I instilled Juice Defender and I'm getting about 20 hours now or so. Noticed better battery life on the One X but that's probably just because the One line from HTC has incredible standby time.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Charging takes FOREVER.
10-15 hours for me without Juice Defender. I played Gun Bros Multiplayer for 1.5hours and the battery was almost dead. My Atrix 2 could play for 2.5 hours. So the Atrix HD dosent have the greatest battery life. I see it lasting with mid-heavy use just for the work day at a 9-5 job then having to recharge it. My Atrix 2 with juice defender lasted well into the next day.
I cant say I'm too happy about that, but at least overall the phone is an improvement over the Atrix 2 except for battery life.

mikef1182

Dec 21, 2005
Raleigh
I'm getting between 10-12 hours with screen brightness on medium, normal usage, and good signal. It's definitely better than what I'm seeing on my VZW Gnex on JB.

mqguitar

Nov 25, 2009
Miami, FL
I am getting decent battery life I'm at about 50 with 6 hours of pretty heavy use. Getting LTE too in some spots. So I know that is heavier on battery buy otherwise I am happy. I am sure it will calibrate too after time

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium

Kedakari

Oct 29, 2010
Washington DC
www.facebook.com
Everyone who has the Atrix HD should have an app called "SmartActions"
It contains a battery extender. I've been using it next to juice defender and it's working really well.
I've been playing games, running lookout mobile on my phone, and watching movies on my SD card.
I used it heavy all night and drained it to 40%
Let it sit off the charger and woke up to 35%
Used it Heavy (Games&and 45min Video) from 9am till 11:54am Drained it to 28%

The battery extender app under Smart Actions and Juice Defender vastly improved my battery performance. I feel it's on par with the Iphone battery life, if not better.

Kedakari

Oct 29, 2010
Washington DC
www.facebook.com
Eventually one of those case companies like PowerSkin will make a case that doubles as an extended battery.
From my understanding the case plugs into the USB port so you dont have to swap the battery.

I'm keeping my eye out for one, but its too soon to expect them being sold right now.

IP IHI II IL

Sep 16, 2010
Fully charged as of 8am,and I'm at70% right now at 9pm... Haven't had a chance to use the hell out of it yet, but that's still pretty good...

I took the red pill... It's the mAtrix for me...
http://android-gz.com

RobAndroid

Dec 4, 2010
Portland, OR
I waited a couple days before judging so it could recharge a few times and I wouldn't playing with it all the time! :)

It seems to run down very quickly when the screen is on - even though I have brightness turned down most of the time. It needs a charge about the time I get home from work, whereas my Captivate still had a good charge and could make it through the night and to work the next morning with room to spare. I'm doing the same basic things I did on my Cappy - just checking email occasionally, gReader a couple times, FB a few times.

I'm hoping it improves a bit over time. I have already activated the battery saver SmartAction and just installed JuiceDefender today.

I tried the LTE mode code above and it didn't work. I tried an app that should change the setting and it didn't work either. I tried creating a new APN and it won't stay on it, just switches back to the default AT&T APN. Guess we'll have to wait for root.

Last edited:

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
I just got this a couple hours ago. Will have some battery info on it tomorrow if it stays in my possession.

Kedakari

Oct 29, 2010
Washington DC
www.facebook.com
I waited a couple days before judging so it could recharge a few times and I wouldn't playing with it all the time! :)

It seems to run down very quickly when the screen is on - even though I have brightness turned down most of the time. It needs a charge about the time I get home from work, whereas my Captivate still had a good charge and could make it through the night and to work the next morning with room to spare. I'm doing the same basic things I did on my Cappy - just checking email occasionally, gReader a couple times, FB a few times.

I'm hoping it improves a bit over time. I have already activated the battery saver SmartAction and just installed JuiceDefender today.

I tried the LTE mode code above and it didn't work. I tried an app that should change the setting and it didn't work either. I tried creating a new APN and it won't stay on it, just switches back to the default AT&T APN. Guess we'll have to wait for root.

You must have got lucky with your Captivate, because mine would burn through 30% batter in idle after 4 hours,
Smart Actions and Juice Defender seem to do the trick.
I found that Widgets and some games (especially gameloft games) will keep the phone from going into deep sleep. I know that the game "Gun Bros" sends notifications to your phone and randomly will do background syncing.
Also making sure that you completely exit apps helps tremendously with battery.

Here is a good artical about saving battery life. It's worth the read even if it might be a little old:

Top 10 Battery Saving Tips For Android

vectorized

Jan 14, 2011
San Francisco
I dont know how you guys are getting battery life that good. I made the mistake of charging myphone only halfway on the first day after it died. But I've been trying to cycle it properly since.

But I cycled my phone twice today. Battery life is complete crap.

My day today:
I woke up at 5:45, played Cordy Sky for 30 minutes and checked all my stuff. On wifi the whole time. Battery was down to 82%.
Commuted to work, 1.5hrs. Listening to music from SD card for most of it. Had LTE on for most of the ride, 30min of the ride is underground, data off. 73% by the end of the ride.
My office has virtually NO service, LTE or otherwise, I couldnt even make a call. I also didnt get on wifi for about 2 hours. My phone was at 25% by 11am.
At which point i just ran it on full brightness, screen on, wifi off, syncing, etc until it died so I could cycle it.

I'm lucky to get 6 hours out of it.

I am using tons of the Smart Actions. Turning on wifi when I get home & get to work. All the "extender" settings are activated and ready.

--

Doesnt Juice Defender counteract the Smart Actions? Are you using the free versions, or ultimate?

--

Lastly, we, as smartphone users, shouldnt have to sacrifice functionality to save battery time. That's just a fact, and manufacturers are doing something wrong by not fixing that. The article you linked to asks too much of the user, basically turning the phone into a "dumb phone" until you activate everything again.

I even have smart actions doing some of those things, but still... wtf?

Last edited:

tacotino

Mar 21, 2011
I dont know how you guys are getting battery life that good. I made the mistake of charging myphone only halfway on the first day after it died. But I've been trying to cycle it properly since.

My day today:
I woke up at 5:45, played Cordy Sky for 30 minutes and checked all my stuff. On wifi the whole time. Battery was down to 82%.
Commuted to work, 1.5hrs. Listening to music from SD card for most of it. Had LTE on for most of the ride, 30min of the ride is underground, data off. 73% by the end of the ride.
My office has virtually NO service, LTE or otherwise, I couldnt even make a call. I also didnt get on wifi for about 2 hours. My phone was at 25% by 11am.
At which point i just ran it on full brightness, screen on, wifi off, syncing, etc until it died so I could cycle it.

I am using tons of the Smart Actions. Turning on wifi when I get home & get to work. All the "extender" settings are activated and ready.

--

Doesnt Juice Defender counteract the Smart Actions? Are you using the free versions, or ultimate?

--

Lastly, we, as smartphone users, shouldnt have to sacrifice functionality to save battery time. That's just a fact, and manufacturers are doing something wrong by not fixing that. The article you linked to asks too much of the user, basically turning the phone into a "dumb phone" until you activate everything again.

In the part where you have no signal you should turn phone on airplane mode.. The phone will waste a ton of power looking for signal

Kedakari

Oct 29, 2010
Washington DC
www.facebook.com

My day today:

--

--

Smart Actions and Juice Defender work great together. Mind you that juice defender takes a day or two to learn your phones habbits.
Honestly I'd check your apps and see what services they are running and disable them. Not a lot of apps were made or updated for ICS yet, so you'll find a few here or there that will stop your phone from going into sleep.

If your battery life gets worse, I'd go get it checked out. My first Samsung Captivate battery held a weak charge, then all of a sudden the charge died. AT&T replaced it for me.

I felt the same way you did the first day I owned the phone. Once I got things setup right, it's been a dream. Honestly no, I havent lost any function out of my phone. I just learned some new habbits... like closing out of apps completely. Turning my screen of instead of letting it time out. ect..

---------- Post added at 06:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

In the part where you have no signal you should turn phone on airplane mode.. The phone will waste a ton of power looking for signal

Yep.. scanning for signal is probably the biggest battery killer you could have.
Honestly I'd just put my phone into sleep mode until I was in an area with service.

vectorized

Jan 14, 2011
San Francisco
thanks guys, i'm getting slightly better battery life.

I'll post a screenshot of my battery levels graph when it gets lower later today. I installed Juice defender after getting to a full charge (chargin while off) at 1am. Went to sleep, and it didnt lose too much in the next several hours. which was nice.

right now, at work, w/ no service, but I'm on wifi and I'm not in airplane or sleep mode, it's lasting pretty evenly.

To me, it seems like the screen is the BIGGEST battery suck. I've noticed that every time my graph dips rapidly, it's when the screen is on. I dont think the brightness can be turned down enough. And I tend to check my phone a lot.

I imagine a bugfix in the future, which will adjust the way the screen uses power, but right now, combining screen & lte use basically murders the phone.

Someone else mentioned they played a game for 1.5 hours and the phone was almost dead. There's definitely something bad happening with screentime being proportionate to battery.

Note the correlation in the image :(

It starts at 1am, the drop in the middle is 5:30am, when my alarm went off for almost 45min and I didnt wake up.
The next major drop is my 1.5hr commute. But I was streaming video this time for 3/4th of it.
Then I got to work.

(((((I'm not really complaining anymore at this point, i know I've gotta tweak my usage, and let the tools figure out the battery, as well as let the battery itself figure out my usage better.... in due time it'lll get better. Now I'm pretty much just trying to share information w/ interested parties))))

Last edited:

MaxisDB

Sep 18, 2010
right now, at work, w/ no service, but I'm on wifi and I'm not in airplane or sleep mode, it's lasting pretty evenly.

Try putting the phone in airplane mode, then going into settings and turning wifi back on when you are in a place with no cell service. It'll turn off the cell radio but let the wifi one work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Agreed. I'd love to see some pics as well. :cool:

Ok..so I didn't do a good XDA job by taking pictures of the work done inside the phone and I don't want to risk popping one of my corner snaps on the flexible back cover by reopening. I honestly didn't think anyone would want to try this...but I have posted some pictures of the after mod side profile of the phone.

So I will try and explain what I did...note DO NOT BLAME ME if you cut yourself, damage your screen, phone, desk or anything else. Do this at your own risk..

If you decide to do this upgrade I can tell you it is very simple if you take your time.

The base back cover is holding the speaker and antenna. It has about 2 cm of plastic where they stick on the speaker baffle..white sticker that you see after removing the flexible back cover.

Once you remove the 8-9 screws to remove the base back cover from the front LCD,motherboard etc you simply cut down the left and right side of this area by about .5 cm then with a sharp box cutter or blade cut a line that joins your left and right cuts..scribe this line a couple of times so that when you pull it back it will snap the extra plastic in a clean straight line.

By removing this extra .5 cm of plastic you will allow EB40 to fit into the phone better and allow for the base back cover to reinstall cleaner. Also the EB40 is shorter than the EB20 so once you installed the screws for the power connector of the battery push it down so that you have more space across the top of the battery box in the phone.

Carefully snap back in your base back cover securing the top screws by the speaker, flash camera first..do not over tighten..you are putting screws into plastic and can strip out the holes..

Once you got the base back cover back in test your phone speaker, flash, camera, power button and volume up down..once you know everything is good. reinstall the flexible back cover again starting from the top of the phone. This will allow it snap back into place and secure the battery inside the phone...

You are now done...again you can see from my pictures you can not tell it has a 3200 mAh battery installed..but can feel the additional weight.

The phone is now running and hold a charge like it should have been from day one..again I only need to figure out how to get the battery meter calibrated correctly to map the voltage to percentage...if someone to help me with this I would be grateful.
    EB40 Mod

How does it look now that it is sealed back up? Can you get picture of the end product?

I have attached a picture of the MOD that I did on my phone. It is not difficult and I can tell you after the recent firmware upgrade my phone is now truly usable.

Take a look at the recent screen shot of my battery life. Yes that's right six days on a single charge. I love it..
    ITake a look at the recent screen shot of my battery life. Yes that's right six days on a single charge. I love it..

just made mine. The EB40 battery is just slightly thicker.

I only removed the flexible back cover with a guitar pick (that I got with an iphone repair kit)

then I opened the battery space just a bit using a high speed mini drill (dremel type)

I didn't have to remove anything other than the kevlar cover and the battery.

once the battery is out, it's easy to cut open the little part on top. (plenty of space between the part to be cut and the electronic parts.)

no need for a super DIY article to do it.
    Hopefully you do not have to do too much "surgery".

No time for all of the details but the battery was installed without to much trouble. Had to adjust some connections under the top of the housing (speaker, antenna and headphone jack) but its on just fine*. The main issues so far is that it doesnt show the correct battery level. When i get more time ill look into that but so far so good. Also, i pray this battery is worth a damn...never had good luck with ebay batteries but who knows.

*the battery is thicker which made these unable to make a pressure connections so i basically bent the pins up a bit and they worked great. On the speaker i took a piece of rubber to lift it a but to make it because the connections could not be manipulated.

Ill try to get some pics monday at work when i have more time...but for now its off to the zoo with the fam!!! :victory:

Seth
    EB40 Battery Mod

I did the mod a while back with a promise of pics but never got around to it, as has already been stated though:
    -Simply removed the thin outer housing with a guitar pick run along the edges
    -Use a T5 i believe driver to remove the screws around the midframe
    -I then used a razor to removed about 1/4 inch or so from the inner top part of the internal plastic frame to allow the battery to sit in proper.
    -Seal it back up

ALSO!!! The newest update calibrated my battery perfectly, I would assume its because it will also be what is run on the new atrix hd maxx to be released. I can easily go 30 hours without a charge. FANTASTIC!!! Highly recommended mod

Diff 1-10 = 3
    Awesomeness 1-10 = 10