remap volume buttons to power button - for people with broken power button Captivates

Search This thread

puneet_champ

Feb 17, 2009
Hi every1,

I have a captivate with a broken power button and it was driving me nuts for the last 2 months since I couldnot wake up the phone if it went to lock screen. I tried no lock and other apps but they didnt work 100% of the time. Today I found this thread :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=850464

It is button remapper utility but it doesnot support captivate yet. However my only concern was to remap my volume buttons to power button.
This is how I did it :

Firstly, we'll need to pull the file that controls the buttons which is entitled "aries-keypad.kl" in "system/usr/keylayout".

To pull the file, connect your captivate and run:
adb remount
adb pull system/usr/keylayout/aries-keypad.kl aries-keypad.kl

Edit this pulled file like below :
key 115 POWER WAKE
key 114 POWER WAKE
key 102 HOME WAKE_DROPPED
key 116 POWER WAKE

Key 115 was VOLUME_UP while Key 114 was VOLUME_DOWN. I reassigned both to behave as POWER button.

After you're done with your edits, you'll need to save the file properly (NO .txt files!), and then you'll have to push it back to the phone.

adb remount
adb push aries-keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout

Reboot your phone, and then check to see if the remapping works as expected. Your volume buttons should now behave as power button.

Simple and Effective! :)

For more info, look at threads :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=695936

Last edited:

jtd9

Aug 5, 2010
Thanks for this, but I just have two questions.

Does this make us lose control of the volume using the volume rocker?

and

This change allows us to turn turn off the screen as well using the volume buttons, correct? Not just to power the screen on.

Killerfish1450

Nov 9, 2010
Dalton
Yes you will lose volume control over which ever you choose. I personally chose to lose my volume up since i think it would be more important to lower my volume if i suddenly needed to. To answer you second question yes this function will work as an exact replacement for your power button meaning it turns the screen on, off, powers on and off, and would get you into download or recovery mode depending on the volume rocker you still had available.\

P.S. I did not change all options to the power key. I left the Key 114 VOLUME_DOWN the same.

Reactions: jtd9

jtd9

Aug 5, 2010
oh alright. Thanks!

So I decided to go ahead and try this but I seem to run into a problem. I am able to pull the file through adb, but I can't seem to push it back into the phone. It gives me two errors: "operation denied" and "read-only file." Is there any way to fix this? If it matters, I am able to pull the file with having to do the "adb remount" step; idk if there is something wrong, but it won't let me "adb remount" either.

I've made sure I have all the su permissions so i don't what could be wrong.

rizzo1001

Sep 9, 2010
boston
oh alright. Thanks!

So I decided to go ahead and try this but I seem to run into a problem. I am able to pull the file through adb, but I can't seem to push it back into the phone. It gives me two errors: "operation denied" and "read-only file." Is there any way to fix this? If it matters, I am able to pull the file with having to do the "adb remount" step; idk if there is something wrong, but it won't let me "adb remount" either.

You can edit the files on your phone using ES File Explorer.

hd779

Dec 17, 2010
If you install most asop builds there is usually an option under from control that will let you use the volume button to turn on the screen without losing volume cintrols . Works well too.

Reactions: altimuh

jtd9

Aug 5, 2010
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but since we seem to have a similar problem, I figured you guys would have an answer.

How, if possible, are you guys installing custom rom since I really can't get CWM to work with the power button broken?

scythekain

Mar 16, 2012
Bellevue
If you install most asop builds there is usually an option under from control that will let you use the volume button to turn on the screen without losing volume cintrols . Works well too.

That won't let you "sleep" the phone with the volume control button. My button is to the point where I press it sometimes it works, sometimes it brings up the power menu but most of the time it does nothing.

master2828

Jul 24, 2012
I use volume wake and an app called turn off screen. More inconvenient than power button but once you use the app once to turn off the screen it stays in your list when you long press the home key so I can turn off the phone without having to go the home screen every time.
Rip power button you are sorely missed.
I use rom manager to restart my phone into recovery for flashing.

marko-mb

Aug 5, 2010
I also asked this in another thread... I want to disable WAKE with power button...
I edited all . kl files in system > usr > keylayout and deleted WAKE on power button lines with no luck.

I am on galaxy s2 slim 2.7.0 rom. android 4.1.2

infaas

Apr 29, 2011
vimeo.com
For those of you that this method did not work there is a much easy and hassle free alternative!! Takes a minute or two only!!

Get 'Go launcher' from the app market (play)
Get 'Go Locker'

Now Enable Go Locker on your device. And you are done!!

When the screen goes black again, Just press the volume button, The screen wakes up!!
:)

Using this method you don't lose the normal functionality of the volume rocker!!

I respect the effort put in by "puneet_champ" to make this post.. I went through this post, I couldn't find a file named 'aries-keypad.kl' Good thing I didn't!
As a result of which I recalled that I used to have Go Locker on my phone, and that when I pressed the Volume key the screen turned on!!
At that time I found it a little annoying, But now it has turned out to be such a gift!!

Last edited:
Reactions: danbracket

ZackehSoul

Nov 2, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
zackehh.com
For those of you that this method did not work there is a much easy and hassle free alternative!! Takes a minute or two only!!

Get 'Go Locker'

When the screen goes black again, Just press the volume button, The screen wakes up!!

Using this method you don't lose the normal functionality of the volume rocker!!

I respect the effort put in by "puneet_champ" to make this post.. I went through this post, I couldn't find a file named 'aries-keypad.kl' Good thing I didn't!
As a result of which I recalled that I used to have Go Locker on my phone, and that when I pressed the Volume key the screen turned on!!
At that time I found it a little annoying, But now it has turned out to be such a gift!!

The issue there is you have to have a custom launcher, and you can't turn your phone off yourself.

MulchShake

Mar 27, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
Android 4.2.2
Kernel 3.0.66-g6c5dade
Cyanogen 10-1-20130224-NIGHTYLY-captivatemtd

I used both ES File Explorer and ADB method to try to edit the file to fix my power button issue.

Both methods allowed me to edit the file and have the edits remain after a reboot and reviewing of the file. However the edits don't seem to be doing anything as the volume keys still function as volume.

If anyone knows what I might be doing wrong it would be much appreciated.

dna59

Aug 7, 2011
Belize City
^^^i had the same issue as you. No matter how I tried editing it to re map buttons it did not work. I trouble shoot this for many weeks and made no progress. A member did suggest making some custom scripts which was above my skill level. Ended up buying a new button. Actually just got the phone back fixed this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Plehai

Nov 17, 2013

Get 'Go Locker'

The file that you needed and you didn't find is probably not called aries-keypad.kl . Every sort of devices calls it a bit different, with keypad or kpd in the name of the file. For example the file on my device is called mtk-kpd.kl . You see?

Greetings, Plehai

Reactions: tigresa8821

willbs94

Dec 2, 2010
Lebanon, MO
Easier to use an app called button remapper and make the search button the power button. Volume buttons to wake.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi every1,

I have a captivate with a broken power button and it was driving me nuts for the last 2 months since I couldnot wake up the phone if it went to lock screen. I tried no lock and other apps but they didnt work 100% of the time. Today I found this thread :

It is button remapper utility but it doesnot support captivate yet. However my only concern was to remap my volume buttons to power button.
    This is how I did it :

Firstly, we'll need to pull the file that controls the buttons which is entitled "aries-keypad.kl" in "system/usr/keylayout".

To pull the file, connect your captivate and run:
    adb remount
    adb pull system/usr/keylayout/aries-keypad.kl aries-keypad.kl

Edit this pulled file like below :
    key 115 POWER WAKE
    key 114 POWER WAKE
    key 102 HOME WAKE_DROPPED
    key 116 POWER WAKE

Key 115 was VOLUME_UP while Key 114 was VOLUME_DOWN. I reassigned both to behave as POWER button.

After you're done with your edits, you'll need to save the file properly (NO .txt files!), and then you'll have to push it back to the phone.

adb remount
    adb push aries-keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout

Reboot your phone, and then check to see if the remapping works as expected. Your volume buttons should now behave as power button.

Simple and Effective! :)

For more info, look at threads :
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=695936
    oh alright. Thanks!

You can edit the files on your phone using ES File Explorer.
    Yes you will lose volume control over which ever you choose. I personally chose to lose my volume up since i think it would be more important to lower my volume if i suddenly needed to. To answer you second question yes this function will work as an exact replacement for your power button meaning it turns the screen on, off, powers on and off, and would get you into download or recovery mode depending on the volume rocker you still had available.\

P.S. I did not change all options to the power key. I left the Key 114 VOLUME_DOWN the same.

Get 'Go Locker'