FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

A Warning to ALL GALAXY S4 ACTIVE USERS!!!!

84 posts
Thanks Meter: 95

Post Reply Email Thread
29th July 2013, 05:15 PM |#21  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 1,261

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahadsul3man

"water-resistant.” As Samsung points out in the device’s manual, the S4 Active is rated IP67, which means that it’s resistant to water only up to depths of a little over three feet , its not water proof .

I know that but either way. clearly it is not standing up to that promise with some users. I just typed proof because of "everything proof" but resistant is more appropriate.
tmease1
29th July 2013, 05:42 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Everyone that is thinking that att and or Samsung will eventually give the active users a replacement to another phone don't get your hopes up. I don't think that will happen. We signed agreements when we got this phone. Neither party will admit this phone is faulty. It won't happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using xda premium
29th July 2013, 05:53 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 226

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahadsul3man

"water-resistant.” As Samsung points out in the device’s manual, the S4 Active is rated IP67, which means that it’s resistant to water only up to depths of a little over three feet , its not water proof .

Right. This is why I don't think the problem is with Samsung, and why I doubt they'll ever issue a recall. The problem is with AT&T's marketing. Using the term "Everything Proof" was just stupid, and can cause legal issues regardless of whatever disclaimer they want to throw up at the end. Showing a phone getting doused with water a dozen times in your commercial, but then refusing to service phones with water-damage is also pretty stupid. Disclaimers don't work if they directly contradict the marketing. Had the commercials shown a phone accidentally getting wet one time, with a disclaimer shown during the scene, maybe they'd be fine... but an entire commercial dedicated to showing the phone getting wet, or even dunked in water, followed by the term "everything proof?" No disclaimer is going to help there.

It's kind of like marketing a tire as "never flat," showing it rolling over nails, spike strips, etc., then refusing to honor any warranties based on puncture damage.
29th July 2013, 08:38 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 132

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmease1

Everyone that is thinking that att and or Samsung will eventually give the active users a replacement to another phone don't get your hopes up. I don't think that will happen. We signed agreements when we got this phone. Neither party will admit this phone is faulty. It won't happen.

They replaced my s4A after just 4days of ownership. I dunked my phone in a Styrofoam cup half full with water and the phone leaked into lower rh battery compartment. No visible damage nether the less Samsung sent me a new phone. Moral of the story for me was its probably best to leave the phones water resistant capabilities up to chance. as a just in case

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537
29th July 2013, 10:13 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt3

Remember, most people with this phone have entered into a 2-year contract. Simply recalling the phone wouldn't work. They'd either have to replace it with an equivalent model or waive the ETF. The problem with the former is that they've advertised the heck out of its water resistance, selling it as "everything proof." If they were to, say, replace it with a standard S4, the consumer would have a very real argument that it's not an equivalent model, which would be ANOTHER basis for a class action.

Also, remember, recalls are done by a manufacturer. AT&T isn't going to recall a Samsung device. Samsung would have to do that. A recall would only really work if Samsung offered another phone (like an S4), AND made a deal with AT&T, compensating them to waive the ETF if the consumer didn't want that phone. This may happen, but before it does, the remaining stock would be pulled from the shelves, and the phone would be EOL.

Again, I think that marketing this phone as waterproof, but not standing behind that marketing, is eventually going to lead to a class action. A class action, or the threat of one, will result in an early death for this device. I agree with what was said before though... I don't think we'll be seeing many more phones claiming water resistance. Those that do, will be sealed, and certainly won't have removable backs.

Absolutely dreaming.

The last thing AT&T will do is waive ETF fees...not happening. Also, there is no class action suit to be had here. Samsung does not state that this is waterproof...they simply state water resistant and there is quite a difference between the two.

No, I don't work for Samsung and I don't work for AT&T...as a matter of fact, I don't have the S4 Active, but I have to chuckle a bit at how some people on these boards act as if their experience is the experience every member of the public is having. Reality is that the Active, from most mainstream reports, seems as if it is being received quite well.
29th July 2013, 10:27 PM |#26  
Flag TEXAS
Thanks Meter: 538

More
http://www.intomobile.com/2013/07/29...of-advertised/
29th July 2013, 10:27 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan714

They replaced my s4A after just 4days of ownership. I dunked my phone in a Styrofoam cup half full with water and the phone leaked into lower rh battery compartment. No visible damage nether the less Samsung sent me a new phone. Moral of the story for me was its probably best to leave the phones water resistant capabilities up to chance. as a just in case

Exactly! My family and friends have asked me numerous times to put my phone in water. I tell them if they put theirs in water I will. I bought it for the occasion "get stuck in the rain during a walk" scenario. I hate babying my phones and this just makes it a little easier.

BTW, here is a buttload of videos showing people submerging their phones with no problems.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...RM=HDRSC3#x0y0
tmease1
30th July 2013, 02:24 AM |#28  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan714

What I was trying to say was that I highly doubt that they will do a recall on the Active and let us all pick out another phone. I should of stated that better in my original post.

30th July 2013, 03:01 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
It's not that the phone doesn't work as advertised. It's that there are obviously some defective units. Water damage is a easy way to deny this (and a replacement) and place blame on the user. AT&T told me that I would have to pay $200 for a replacement unit. Yea right....the phone is under a month old.

And oddly, none of the water indicators on the phone are pink. The one on the battery is though.
tmease1
30th July 2013, 03:43 AM |#30  

More
Even though this was advertised as a waterproof phone I didn't buy it for that. I got mine because I liked the original S4 but I thought the Active was built better and I liked the fact that it had a lcd screen so you could see it in the daylight. I for one would never try to take pictures under water. I knew going in to this that if it did get any water damage that the warranty would be thrown out.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
30th July 2013, 01:45 PM |#31  
Washington, D.C.
Thanks Meter: 676

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy1805

It's not that the phone doesn't work as advertised. It's that there are obviously some defective units. Water damage is a easy way to deny this (and a replacement) and place blame on the user. AT&T told me that I would have to pay $200 for a replacement unit. Yea right....the phone is under a month old.

And oddly, none of the water indicators on the phone are pink. The one on the battery is though.

I remember reading somewhere in the Captivate forums that you can use a little bleach and a q-tip to turn the pink indicator white again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Devo7v For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Devo7v Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)