How To- Mount /SDCard2 as /SDCard

Search This thread

PaulHBK

Apr 28, 2011
Looks like this caused me to lose a lot of my apps. Should this be expected?

Towleeeie9613

Jan 31, 2011
Any chance of getting this as a flashable zip? I tried doing it in Root Explorer, but for some reason, I can't edit the file with the built in text editor. Having a flashable would make things a lot easier, especially for those of us less 1337 than others.

ryanalan82

Oct 4, 2008

There should be a couple extra steps put in the OP.
And remember original storage is:
Internal storage = the app itself
Phone storage = the apps data
sd card= everything else

1. any apps that (the apk file itself) are installed in the phone storage, should be moved to internal storage.

2. Any of the game data that is on phone storage, should be moved to the actual sd card (sdcard2). This data is in the Android folder on phone storage (sdcard). So it should be moved from /mnt/sdcard/android/data to /mnt sdcard/ext_sdcard/android/data. Really just move the whole folder to the sd card. I moved the whole folder to phone storage from the sd card when I got the phone so I didn't have to sit there and download all the game data for the bigger games and such again.

3. Follow the steps in the OP of this hack.

4. If you want to get some of your 2 GB app storage space back, move the apps as you wish to phone storage. This will be the app apk file not the huge game data. But this time phone storage will be the actual sd card. So it won't take away from your 10 GB it will take away from the sd card.
The apps that get moved will get moved from /data/app to /mnt/sdcard/ext_sdcard/.android_secure.

also at this step I would say move a couple big apps/games as oppose to many little apps/games. Better to have a couple big ones to load not that often, than to have many little apps to load more often and cause more slowdown. The more little apps you have on the sd card the more possibility the phone gets slowed down, cause no matter what sd card u have, it's gonna be just a little slower than what came on the phone. So moving just a couple 50 mb games should go a long ways.

Now the question is what to do with that 10 GB. If I do this hack, which I eventually will, I would probably fill this space with titanium backups, have the pictures and video saved here, roms and such I will flash I recovery, ringtones, wallpapers. You kinda don't have to many more choices with this space. if I'm gonna take space away from the memory card but don't want to delete any of my 40 GB of music, I would want to move whatever I could in that 10 GB of space so it doesn't get wasted. Remember moving apps or huge game data doesn't go into the 10GB anymore.

There are pluses to this hack and there are minuses. Until I get the exact figures on what I can put where I am going to wait on doing all this, but I hope I helped give a bit of an overview to what is going on with your storage space and how it is used.

Swyped from my eVo

Last edited:

filmaker

Jan 21, 2011
sd card= everything else

1. any apps that (the apk file itself) are installed in the phone storage, should be moved to internal storage.

2. Any of the game data that is on phone storage, should be moved to the actual sd card (sdcard2). This data is in the Android folder on phone storage (sdcard). So it should be moved from /mnt/sdcard/android/data to /mnt sdcard/ext_sdcard/android/data. Really just move the whole folder to the sd card. I moved the whole folder to phone storage from the sd card when I got the phone so I didn't have to sit there and download all the game data for the bigger games and such again.

4. If you want to get some of your 2 GB app storage space back, move the apps as you wish to phone storage. This will be the app apk file not the huge game data. But this time phone storage will be the actual sd card. So it won't take away from your 10 GB it will take away from the sd card.
The apps that get moved will get moved from /data/app to /mnt/sdcard/ext_sdcard/.android_secure.

also at this step I would say move a couple big apps/games as oppose to many little apps/games. Better to have a couple big ones to load not that often, than to have many little apps to load more often and cause more slowdown. The more little apps you have on the sd card the more possibility the phone gets slowed down, cause no matter what sd card u have, it's gonna be just a little slower than what came on the phone. So moving just a couple 50 mb games should go a long ways.

Now the question is what to do with that 10 GB. If I do this hack, which I eventually will, I would probably fill this space with titanium backups, have the pictures and video saved here, roms and such I will flash I recovery, ringtones, wallpapers. You kinda don't have to many more choices with this space. if I'm gonna take space away from the memory card but don't want to delete any of my 40 GB of music, I would want to move whatever I could in that 10 GB of space so it doesn't get wasted. Remember moving apps or huge game data doesn't go into the 10GB anymore.

There are pluses to this hack and there are minuses. Until I get the exact figures on what I can put where I am going to wait on doing all this, but I hope I helped give a bit of an overview to what is going on with your storage space and how it is used.

Swyped from my eVo

Very well said :)

Reactions: finsterling

filmaker

Jan 21, 2011
I am so glad this was found! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Quick question, will the camera save the pictures to the internal storage now that they are swapped around and it normally saves it to the storage card which is found in sd2 by default?

Sent from my Evo 4G LTE

Yeah, pretty much. If you have it set to save to the internal storage it will save to your sdcard, and vice versa.

Reactions: finsterling

zmag

Jan 25, 2011
Just bought a SanDisk microSDXC Card with Adapter from BestBuy last night. $99 is steep I know, but I had a cool cashier who took an obscure coupon I had for 15% off any mobile accessory. (I know it was prolly only for cases, chargers or screen protectors etc. - but I said I'm using it for my phone and the cashier was like "Well, I'm prolly not supposed to, but it _is_ for your phone, so...) Sweet deal. I know Amazon has them for $50, but I hate waiting for stuff, and I'm NOT an online shopper. (Plus I originally went to grab Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 anyways...) Oh, and it was literally the LAST card on the rack. They had tons of PNY cards, but $70 for a 32GB PNY or $85 for a 64GB SanDisk - I got lucky! :)

This mod works perfect and is exactly what I wanted. Here's a before and after the mod...

Before:

After:

Anyway, this works sweet now but I have a few questions...

1.) What's the recommended cache speed I should use, since it's a Class 10 (right now it's at the stock 128)

2.) When I use TWRP Recovery, let's say I want to make a backup to the sdcard - should I select Internal Memory as opposed to External SD? Or is TWRP unaffected by this mod. (Before the mod I made a backup and left it on the default External SD (the radio button on the left), and it backed it up to /sdcard2/ - so after the mod should I select Internal Memory (the radio button on the right) to have it backup to /sdcard/ ?)

Thanks in advance! - zmag

kaos420

Account currently disabled
Dec 21, 2007
Usa
meettomy.site
Just bought a SanDisk microSDXC Card with Adapter from BestBuy last night. $99 is steep I know, but I had a cool cashier who took an obscure coupon I had for 15% off any mobile accessory. (I know it was prolly only for cases, chargers or screen protectors etc. - but I said I'm using it for my phone and the cashier was like "Well, I'm prolly not supposed to, but it _is_ for your phone, so...) Sweet deal. I know Amazon has them for $50, but I hate waiting for stuff, and I'm NOT an online shopper. (Plus I originally went to grab Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 anyways...) Oh, and it was literally the LAST card on the rack. They had tons of PNY cards, but $70 for a 32GB PNY or $85 for a 64GB SanDisk - I got lucky! :)

This mod works perfect and is exactly what I wanted. Here's a before and after the mod...

Before:

After:

Anyway, this works sweet now but I have a few questions...

1.) What's the recommended cache speed I should use, since it's a Class 10 (right now it's at the stock 128)

2.) When I use TWRP Recovery, let's say I want to make a backup to the sdcard - should I select Internal Memory as opposed to External SD? Or is TWRP unaffected by this mod. (Before the mod I made a backup and left it on the default External SD (the radio button on the left), and it backed it up to /sdcard2/ - so after the mod should I select Internal Memory (the radio button on the right) to have it backup to /sdcard/ ?)

Thanks in advance! - zmag

you got ripped off. i bought my 64gb sandisk class 10 for 60. that was like 4 months ago.

thefsfempire

Apr 26, 2010
Massachusetts
Any way of disabling the internal storage all together? I never use the internal storage on any phone because my sdcard is more than enough and I don't have to worry about losing stuff on a non-removable partition. I tried commenting out the line for the internal storage and it refused to detect either card. I found a temp fix of just "unmounting" the internal storage (now listed as external of course). Any ideas?

Thanks for the MOD though!

filmaker

Jan 21, 2011
No problem, lol and none that I know of right now. I actually never thought of disabling it altogether lol.

zmag

Jan 25, 2011
So, no one answered my question...

What cache speed should I use for best performance (speed)? What cache speed do you use?

And is TWRP recovery affected by this mod? Are external/internal switched in recovery or only when system boots up?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Make a Backup!

What this will do is mount /sdcard2 as /sdcard and your phone storage /sdcard, to /sdcard2.

Okay, so I started playing around in the vold.fstab, thanks to some inspiration form this thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1625238,
    and I managed to change to get the internal memory show as the external sdcard, and my 32GB sdcard to show as the phone storage.

30lhr3l.png

If you would like to try this, then use an app like root explorer and navigate to /system/etc and open up vold.fstab.

You'll see two lines:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard emmc /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host

dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host

Change them to this:

dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd emmc /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host

Then reboot.

Both mount points are accessible through file explorers, and both are accessible using an MTP connection (Media Sync) when connecting to the computer.

Pros
    Move game and app data to your SDCard.
    Move Apps to Actual SDCard (not just phone storage)
    Google Music files on SDCard

Side Effects
    You'll be left to the mercy of MTP for all your file transferring.

You can download the edited vold.fstab here:http://i.minus.com/1340071427/7vY7QepuYyLi6YjjTYZYXg/dkDgjuy9MXlYm/vold.fstab
    You can check in this thread for a flashable zip version: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1713737

Just make sure u change the permissions (rw-r-r)

Some extra info for those still confsued (thanks to ryanalan82 for this)

"And remember original storage is:
    sd card= everything else

The apps that get moved will get moved from /data/app to /mnt/sdcard/ext_sdcard/.android_secure. "

Goal Just a thought, but if anyone knows what file or where the OS, looks when the user gives it the selection to mount as disk drive, then maybe we could change the option from /sdcard2 to /sdcard
    haha my firsrt first nice work thanks alot , this is good

sd card= everything else

Swyped from my eVo
    Great work. Is there any tweaks that increase sdcard speeds that I should know about to go along with this?

Sent from my El Tevo

Htc actually set the read ahead kb to 2048 this time! You can check for yourself at /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0 then open read_ahead_kb in a text viewer. I think it was set at 4 on the OGEVO...

Should be plenty- my class 10 flies.
    Just took a picture and checked through Root Explorer... pics are being saved in sdcard2. All my previous pictures are in sdcard.

sdcard2 is actually the phone storage with 10GB capacity while sdcard is really your memory card. So after this mod, camera shots should be saved in sdcard instead so that pics remain in your storage card.

You can fix that by going to your camera app and selecting Settings > Storage > Phone Storage.

Aleks