[Guide] S-OFF / Root.Your HTC One Max

Search This thread

JPLOWZ

Mar 20, 2010
couple of questions

Hello I really appreciate all the hard work. Couple of questions I finally got s - off frm htcdev. But the link to scottys page confuses me. makes it seem you shldnt get s off with htcdev. its says no submitting tokens or phone info but dont you have to do all this to get s off as it reads as step one?? here is my next issue i type in adb devices it shows my serial but when i try to type in adb reboot bootloader it gives the error message device is offline. I dont know what else to do. can you please give some advice

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
Hello I really appreciate all the hard work. Couple of questions I finally got s - off frm htcdev. But the link to scottys page confuses me. makes it seem you shldnt get s off with htcdev. its says no submitting tokens or phone info but dont you have to do all this to get s off as it reads as step one?? here is my next issue i type in adb devices it shows my serial but when i try to type in adb reboot bootloader it gives the error message device is offline. I dont know what else to do. can you please give some advice

I am sorry, i don't understand what you try to say on scotty and s-off thing.

For the ADB, download the latest ADB/fastboot exe. recent releases of Android needs a newer adb version which authenticates in the phone when you use it. The phone is shown offline if you use the old ADB

Reactions: JPLOWZ

JPLOWZ

Mar 20, 2010
got it thank you.. does the kernal have to be flashed also does rumrunner im not sure of the difference between rumrunner and scottys lock and unlock

I am sorry, i don't understand what you try to say on scotty and s-off thing.

For the ADB, download the latest ADB/fastboot exe. recent releases of Android needs a newer adb version which authenticates in the phone when you use it. The phone is shown offline if you use the old ADB

Last edited:

barathan

May 14, 2012
1°23'08.3"N 103°50'23.1"E
Unsecure Kernel

I'm on TWRP, flashed superuser and have s-off'ed, is there a need to flash the unsecure kernel. If yes, the link in the OP is for Sprint, is there one for the international version?

Another thing, to get back my fingerprint, do I need to lock the bootloader?

Thanks

Last edited:

Punk9

Nov 20, 2011
Kissimmee
I'm on TWRP, flashed superuser and have s-off'ed, is there a need to flash the unsecure kernel. If yes, the link in the OP is for Sprint, is there one for the international version?

Another thing, to get back my fingerprint, do I need to lock the bootloader?

Thanks

Yeah. In order to get the fingerprint scanner working you need to rekock the bootloader

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using xda app-developers app

barathan

May 14, 2012
Yeah. In order to get the fingerprint scanner working you need to rekock the bootloader

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using xda app-developers app

Thank you but I did try to lock the bootloader with Scotty 1223 locker/unlocker and get an error as below. Can you help me out. Thanks.

5vcs.jpg

Last edited:

barathan

May 14, 2012
Report issues you are having in the thread for that topic. Scotty will not see you are having unlocking errors if you dont post in the unlocking thread.

Thanks and noted JJ. Will post it in his thread.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Bro check this link out... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540004 :)

I can´t really read this pick. Can you please upload it as an attachment. I´m getting old... ;)

Noted Ray. I actuallly followed his method but I should have replied in his thread instead of here. I'll need to go home and make the image bigger and will upload to both this thread and to you.

Appreciate your help alot.

Wacky2bakky

Feb 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Anyone know where I can get the successful drivers for the Sprint one max ? Can't get adb to recognize my serial on Windows 8.1 command prompt. Because in driver manager it shows my phone but yellow exclamation point

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
Anyone know where I can get the successful drivers for the Sprint one max ? Can't get adb to recognize my serial on Windows 8.1 command prompt. Because in driver manager it shows my phone but yellow exclamation point
Did you install htcsync and let your phone install drivers from that? Drivers on the phone are almost always a pain.

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
Reactions: parekmachine

Howling Wolf

Jan 2, 2010
Paris
Hi all,

as barathan asked, for the international version of the One Max, what unsecure kernel can we flash to gain s-off ?

Thanx for the replies ;)

JontyJonty

Nov 10, 2005
I too am having the same problem. I have a custom Rom luckily, but need to s-off to get the fingerprint reader to work again. Rumrunner gets to the end then gives the WTF what are you doing error. I think this is down to not having a unsecure kernel.

Sent from my HTC One max using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
for the international version of the One Max, what unsecure kernel can we flash to gain s-off ?

And a kernel for universal one max..?
Yes, but in the end it fails because the kernel is not unsecured...
If rumrunner is not working for you and you believe it is because you have a currently unsupported model then after you are rooted pull your kernel and send to beaups (OP) to verify he has it included or can respond to help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    While rooting / SOFFing my One Max, I had to look all around to find all the parts. I wanted to create a guide so other people could get it faster / easier than I could ;).

This is for the Sprint HTC One Max, not sure how other devices will react. rumrunner is for more than just the Sprint version though.

I TAKE NO CREDIT. IM JUST PUTTING A GUIDE TOGETHER. ALL CREDIT GOES TO PEOPLE WHOM MADE THIS HAPPEN.

Credit: (In no order) Please donate to them! They deserve it.
    rumrunner: SOFF program.
    scotty1223: Unlocking/removing tampered flag
    Flyhalf205: Custom recoveries
    carl1961: Unsecure kernel
    HTC for an awesome phone :)

If I forgot anyone, let me know! Everyone that made this happen is awesome!

DISCLAIMER: IT IS NOT MY FAULT IF YOUR PHONE YELLS AT YOU AND RUNS AWAY BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG.

Step One: Unlock your bootloader at htcdev.com. Create an account and follow their instructions. When it asks you for your device put "all other support devices"

Step Two: Make sure your ADB/Fastboot prompts are working. Here's how we check that:

a. Make sure USB debugging is on.
    b. Plug in your phone, then open your adb prompt.
    c. Issue the command adb devices. If your serial number is shown, adb is working.
    d. While still in the adb prompt, issue the command adb reboot bootloader. Your phone will reboot in to your bootloader
    e. Now issue the command fastboot devices. If your serial number is shown, fastboot is working.
    f. Reboot your device so it's on and fully boot up. It's time to get set up!

Step Three, Getting all the files needed on your craptop. (Computer, just kidding)

a. Download your choice of recovery from flyhalf205's thread (TWRP didn't play nice with my phone, so I used CWM, but your results my vary).

CWM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2498749

TWRP: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2498746

b.Then download this superuser.zip. :http://www.mediafire.com/download/v27kh5nkpo3nfum/superuser.zip Place it on your phone somewhere.

c. Then download rumrunner from beaups' thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2525375

d. Then download carl1961's unsecure kernel : http://www.mediafire.com/download/rrfelsllgomrpix/Sprint_One_Max_1.16.651.4_Unsecure_kernel.zip

Step Four: Lets do this thing!

a. First, we flash a custom recovery. Place the recovery you downloaded from flyhalf205 into the same directory as your adb/fastboot stuff.

b. Plug in your phone, issue the command adb devices just to make sure there is a connection. (can never be too careful now.)

c. If all is good and a serial number is shown, issue the command adb reboot bootloader.

d. You should see a string of words on your phone's bootloader saying "fastboot usb". Issue the command fastboot flash recovery "NAME OF RECOVERYFILEHERE".img. If all goes well. You now have a custom recovery, woop!

BOOT INTO THE RECOVERY AND MAKE A NAND. NOT OPTIONAL.
    While in recovery, go ahead and flash the superuser.zip as you would do any other zip.

e. Now open the kernel and extract the boot.img file, place it in the adb/fastboot place.

f. Boot back into the bootloader, and make sure you're in fastboot. Issue the command fastboot flash boot boot.img. If all is well, the unsecure kernel is now on your phone! Now delete the boot.img from that directory (It'll mess with rumrunner).

g. Unzip the rumrunner contents into the adb/fastboot directory and run the soju.exe. Follow the prompt. If all goes well, you should now have an SOFF television in your hand ;).

HOW-TO Re-enable your fingerprint scanner!

You have to relock (after SOFFing it) the bootloader.

All credit goes to scotty1223.

a. Follow this OP to lock your bootloader. : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540004
    b. Follow this OP to remove the tampered flag on your bootloader : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540024

I tested all of this on my own Sprint HTC One Max, and it has all worked with no side effects. After relocking and removing the tampered flag my fingerprint reader was 100% working again.

I'll help if I can. Have fun everyone!
    I would like to say, that I have noticed that some get a lot of help in these threads, and a lot "say" thanks, but on one clicks the "Thanks" Button. It would be definitely appreciated when pressed. ;)
    If I can recommend rumrunner first **for Verizon versions** which soff, unlocks bootloader (vice htcdev) , installs unsecure kernel and roots. Htcdev unlock voids warranties for some carriers. Then install recovery of choice.
    Lastly I would insert a line to remind everyone to donate to the devs for countless hours put in.

EDITED for versions
    It took you 3 days to see my message and reply. What, you arent online all the time responding to everyone right when they contact you?

Then dont expect that of others...

Please, stop arguing. Several of us are stuck with the 2.47 hboot, we're waiting for beaups to tell us if he's working on the latest hboot for S-OFF. That's all. So, calm down everyone ?
    Everyone having issues with rumrunner should make sure they have plugged in their phone into their computer with AND without adb debugging enabled AND in fastboot to make sure all drivers are set up properly before rumrunner.

Having said that beaups himself said the device driver error is normal.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

I was unable to use htcdev.com to unlock the bootloader. I am with Verizon, perhaps thats the issue, not sure. The error I received
    Error Code: 160.
    Error Reason: MID Not Allowed
    Tried using rumrunner and of course that failed due to the fact the bootloader is still locked and there is no unsecure kernel.

Am I missing something?

Read second post of this thread