Does the Xoom have a gyroscope sensor?

Search This thread

BHack

Jun 13, 2010
I read somewhere that it would make weather predictions more accurate and perhaps some hobby meteorologist will get excited :D Apart from that I coudn't think what good it will do!

It's for accurately measuring your altitude without using GPS.

For example, a mall map app could know what floor you were on.

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
Nice!! Thanks! It has a barometer too? I wonder what that could be used for?

You know all those 3D buildings in Google maps, this sensor will reportedly tell you what FLOOR you're on. I dont think Google Maps has that sensor built in yet, but I'm sure they will soon.

It all helps more accurately tell your GPS position by altitude. If your on a small hill, the altitude will help the GPS better lock on your position. GPS is (x.y).. adding the barometer makes your position (x,y,z).

How accurate it will be, we'll soon see.

BHack

Jun 13, 2010
You know all those 3D buildings in Google maps, this sensor will reportedly tell you what FLOOR you're on. I dont think Google Maps has that sensor built in yet, but I'm sure they will soon.

It all helps more accurately tell your GPS position by altitude. If your on a small hill, the altitude will help the GPS better lock on your position. GPS is (x.y).. adding the barometer makes your position (x,y,z).

How accurate it will be, we'll soon see.

Actually, GPS is XYZ. The problem though is that the Z is +/- a couple hundred feet which is not good enough to know what floor you are on.

Also, the barometer can give you altitude inside a building where a gps can't lock or will take too long to lock.