[KERNEL][04 APR] skullcap-voodoo #11 [VoodooSnd v7,color,more...] i9010 for Captivate

Search This thread

mxracer101

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 11, 2011
NC
This is a kernel based on GT-i9010 JL1 Armani source.

Compatible with 2.2 and 2.2.1 ROMS.

I ran the Andromeda 2.0 ROM (currently running Andromeda3) as my daily driver and liked the kernel the ROM came with (UrsaMinor) for speed, smoothness, and battery but had a couple issues, like in call volume, so I got inspired to contact the guys on TeamKomin, grab the 9010 source play with it. This kernel is what I ended up with. It's been working great for me for a while now so I figured I'd share it.

Normal disclaimer about you flashing at your own risk <here>.

What's in it?
Boosted in call volume
Applied hardcore's mic bias tweaks
Wifi and Camera drivers ported from JPX
Jhash updated to jhash3
Lowmemorykiller upgraded for TinyRCU compatability from http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/common.git;a=commitdiff;h=5545554aac04918ece318270d63cbfcb015577a9
ext4 patched and upgraded from http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/
Kernel hz set to 100
Tiny RCU patched and upgraded from http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/common.git;a=commit;h=9b1d82fa1611706fa7ee1505f290160a18caf95d
Supercurio's voodoo lagfix
Supercurio's voodoo sound v7
Neldar's backlighnotification 2.3 built in from https://github.com/project-voodoo/backlightnotification/tree/master/kernel_patches/
Compiled using codesourcery 2010.09.51 tool chain which should be faster and more battery efficient
Android_Logger (Logcat) disabled by default - enable via adding an empty file on the internal sd card named enable_debug
TUN support for VPN
CWM v2.5.1.3 (from voodoo lagfix)
Optimized compiler flags: -O2 -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp
10 point multi touch support
enabled CONFIG_OABI_COMPAT for fugu tweaks compatability
3 pole headset call support
Supercurio's voodoo color and sharpness fix
SD card read ahead set to 4096 for speed improvement as found here

Memory configs:
CONFIG_ANDROID_PMEM_MEMSIZE_PMEM=2048
CONFIG_ANDROID_PMEM_MEMSIZE_PMEM_GPU1=4096
CONFIG_ANDROID_PMEM_MEMSIZE_PMEM_ADSP=1500
CONFIG_WLAN_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_BCM=256
CONFIG_VIDEO_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_FIMC0=12288
CONFIG_VIDEO_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_FIMC1=1024
CONFIG_VIDEO_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_FIMC2=12288
CONFIG_VIDEO_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_MFC0=32768
CONFIG_VIDEO_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_MFC1=32768
CONFIG_VIDEO_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_TEXSTREAM=10240
CONFIG_VIDEO_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_FIMD=3072

Source is here https://github.com/mxracer/skullcap if you want it.

Thanks to:
supercurio
chrisryn
existz
xcaliburinhand
hardcore

for either the help with source or the help with questions.
If I've missed anyone I apologize and will add you if you remind me.

I have had the best success with the UGJL2 modem here in the north eastern US. YMMV.

UPDATE: Thanks to perosredo for doing some testing of modems with the kernel. His results are here Modem Test Spreadsheet

Looks like JK4 will work nicely with the kernel as well, at least from a speed perspective. IMO GPS is still a little better with JL2 though.

I have a KB1 kernel working as well with similar tweaks that I might post as well if anyone is interesting in testing it.

One last thing I guess... I do this as a hobby, it's not my life. :)

Attachments

• skullcap-voodoo-kernel-i897-v11-CWM.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 311
Last edited:

mxracer101

Jan 11, 2011
NC
Reserved cause everyone else does it. :p

V11:

V10:
Voodoo sound v7

V9:
config changes for VPN support

V8:
Update for voodoo color and sharpness fix

V7:
Made some config tweaks for RFS file system for when lagfix is disabled

V6:
Updated to voodoo sound v6

V5:
Updated to support 3 pole headset calls (also 3.5 aux jack on car stereo )
Removed loading of FM radio. Thanks AdamOutler for catching that.

V4:
Updated to voodoo sound v5

V3:

V2:
Updated to support 10 point multi touch.

Last edited:

1tontomato

Nov 1, 2010
O.C. California
This is awesome was hoping someone would pick this up. I'm gonna flash this right now. I just recently went back to Andromeda because it just works, but I usually flash another kernal because I want voodoo sound. Any chance this will see voodoo sound 5?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

Love the splash screen

Last edited:

perosredo

Jan 25, 2011
Can't say I ever even thought about it, but I'll bump it from 5 to 10 in the next version. I assume the ROM you are running also supports it?

Just out of curiosity, how much testing was done prior to the first release?

EDIT: And would you be able to comment on how afar apart the Armani base kernel is from say, the i9000?

perosredo

Jan 25, 2011
I've been running it for about a month now personally on my dev and daily phone. Also built the new UrsaMinor kernel with the same source for TeamKomin and they have been testing.

So I guess some... but not the whole world.

Thanks.

I edited in another question above.

Also, would you recommend going with JL2 over a i9000 based modem?

Reactions: mxracer101

mxracer101

Jan 11, 2011
NC
EDIT: And would you be able to comment on how afar apart the Armani base kernel is from say, the i9000?

Thanks.

As for the comparison all I can give is my limited knowledge and opinion. The i9010 is almost identical hardware to the Captivate. So the base kernel code is closer to the Captivate than the i9000. An example of that would be there is no need to reorient the i9010 code for portrait like you have to in the i9000 code.

<snip>
JL2 is a 9000 modem, sorry for the confusion.

Maybe someone with more knowledge/advice will chime in as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: perosredo

perosredo

Jan 25, 2011
As for the comparison all I can give is my limited knowledge and opinion. The i9010 is almost identical hardware to the Captivate. So the base kernel code is closer to the Captivate than the i9000. An example of that would be there is no need to reorient the i9010 code for portrait like you have to in the i9000 code.

I would recommend the JL2 modem over an i9000 based one mainly since the the modem and kernel are "matched". You can also try the GLJL1 if you like as well. If I were going to test modems I'd try the Armani ones first, then the Captivate ones, then the i9000.

Maybe someone with more knowledge/advice will chime in as well.

Great. Going to flash as soon as I fully charge.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a kernel based on GT-i9010 JL1 Armani source.

Compatible with 2.2 and 2.2.1 ROMS.

I ran the Andromeda 2.0 ROM (currently running Andromeda3) as my daily driver and liked the kernel the ROM came with (UrsaMinor) for speed, smoothness, and battery but had a couple issues, like in call volume, so I got inspired to contact the guys on TeamKomin, grab the 9010 source play with it. This kernel is what I ended up with. It's been working great for me for a while now so I figured I'd share it.

Normal disclaimer about you flashing at your own risk <here>.

What's in it?
    Boosted in call volume
    Applied hardcore's mic bias tweaks
    Wifi and Camera drivers ported from JPX
    Jhash updated to jhash3
    Lowmemorykiller upgraded for TinyRCU compatability from http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/common.git;a=commitdiff;h=5545554aac04918ece318270d63cbfcb015577a9
    ext4 patched and upgraded from http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/
    Kernel hz set to 100
    Tiny RCU patched and upgraded from http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/common.git;a=commit;h=9b1d82fa1611706fa7ee1505f290160a18caf95d
    Supercurio's voodoo lagfix
    Supercurio's voodoo sound v7
    Neldar's backlighnotification 2.3 built in from https://github.com/project-voodoo/backlightnotification/tree/master/kernel_patches/
    Compiled using codesourcery 2010.09.51 tool chain which should be faster and more battery efficient
    Android_Logger (Logcat) disabled by default - enable via adding an empty file on the internal sd card named enable_debug
    TUN support for VPN
    CWM v2.5.1.3 (from voodoo lagfix)
    Optimized compiler flags: -O2 -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp
    10 point multi touch support
    3 pole headset call support
    Supercurio's voodoo color and sharpness fix

Memory configs:
    CONFIG_ANDROID_PMEM_MEMSIZE_PMEM=2048
    CONFIG_ANDROID_PMEM_MEMSIZE_PMEM_GPU1=4096
    CONFIG_ANDROID_PMEM_MEMSIZE_PMEM_ADSP=1500
    CONFIG_WLAN_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_BCM=256
    CONFIG_VIDEO_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_FIMC0=12288
    CONFIG_VIDEO_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_FIMC1=1024
    CONFIG_VIDEO_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_FIMC2=12288
    CONFIG_VIDEO_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_MFC0=32768
    CONFIG_VIDEO_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_MFC1=32768
    CONFIG_VIDEO_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_TEXSTREAM=10240
    CONFIG_VIDEO_SAMSUNG_MEMSIZE_FIMD=3072

Source is here https://github.com/mxracer/skullcap if you want it.

Thanks to:
    supercurio
    chrisryn
    existz
    xcaliburinhand
    hardcore

for either the help with source or the help with questions.
    If I've missed anyone I apologize and will add you if you remind me.

I have had the best success with the UGJL2 modem here in the north eastern US. YMMV.

UPDATE: Thanks to perosredo for doing some testing of modems with the kernel. His results are here Modem Test Spreadsheet

Looks like JK4 will work nicely with the kernel as well, at least from a speed perspective. IMO GPS is still a little better with JL2 though.

I have a KB1 kernel working as well with similar tweaks that I might post as well if anyone is interesting in testing it.

One last thing I guess... I do this as a hobby, it's not my life. :)
    What's voodoo color?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA Premium App
    Hey One thing I noticed I can't do is plug in the headohone jack to my car and make a phone call where the person comes thru the stereo and I talk can hands free.
    Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

perhaps it's a stupid question but is this kernel compatible with the i9010 (BB JK9, kernel version 2.6.32.9, build JL1) ?

1tontomato, I'll take a look at make the updates for that, thanks.

Resjef, not a stupid question at all to me. It *should* be compatible with the 9010. There is nothing in the code that is specific only to the captivate that would pooch the 9010 that I'm aware of. I would make a backup before flashing (just like I would for anything) and give it a try. I don't have a 9010 to test with so I can't give you a 100% answer.
    Just out of curiosity, how much testing was done prior to the first release?

I've been running it for about a month now personally on my dev and daily phone. Also built the new UrsaMinor kernel with the same source for TeamKomin and they have been testing.

Thanks.

I edited in another question above.