TonyStark R.I.P.

Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Samsung Galaxy S III
SGH-I747
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How do I ask a question, so I'm not called a noob?[/SIZE]
While you may see many questions asked in the Development section, PLEASE be aware this is not the place for questions.

Remember to use the search found at the top of the forum. There is also a search within each section. Example click on Q&A HERE. In the upper right you will now see two search's. At the top it says Search All Forums and a little further down you will see Search This Forum. Enter your search criteria in the Search This Forum to get info from this section. The search at the top will look through the entire forum.

Please read as much as you can prior to doing anything with your device.

Make sure your question has not been answered in the OP (Opening Post) of each section of Development

Search Q&A for threads that may have been started for a particular rom​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I update my stock SIII?[/SIZE]
The first thing that you must do is to check your current software version:

1) From any home screen touch Menu > Settings > About Phone.
2) Scroll to the bottom and look for Baseband Version. It should be I747UCLEM, I747UCLG1, I747UCLH9 or I747UCLI5 before updating. It will be I747UCDLK3 after the update.​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How do I install a stock update (I'm on a non-rooted phone)?[/SIZE]
This link click here will explain the full procedure​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: Where do I find Keis and what is it for?[/SIZE]
Kies can be found click here. Kies is used to manage the content on Samsung mobile devices. It is used to move information between your PC/Mac to you phone and vice versa​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: What does Root/Rooting mean?[/SIZE]
Put simply, Rooting your device allows you, and/or rooted apps, to access parts of the Linux based Android software that is your OS, and that you would otherwise not be able to access. These tasks can be as simple and beneficial as backing up your system setting, or as complicated as installing custom ROMs, Kernels, etc.​

[SIZE=+1]Q6: What is ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and what is it for?[/SIZE]
Please read HERE. There is much to learn, please view everything in the threads OP​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: What is the purpose of rooting my Samsung Galaxy S III?[/SIZE]
Please bear in mind, rooting can be dangerous and if done wrong "brick" your phone.
Rooting the phone is a decision made by individuals looking to improve upon the Android OS. There are many benifits, however it is done to customize the phone to it's full potential​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How to I enter Download Mode and Recovery?[/SIZE]
1) Make sure your phone is unplugged and powered off.

2) To enter Download Mode: Hold Volume down, home, and power until you see the android.

3) To enter Recovery: Hold Volume up, home, and power for about 5 seconds then release all buttons. You may need to try this a few times.​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: What is a "logcat" and how do I create one?[/SIZE]
For setting up ADB see What is ADB (above) logcat allows us to log what the OS is doing, and possibly offer information if things are not working. its quite simple to create but may be difficult for most to understand. This is a tool a Developer may ask for in detecting issues your device may be encountering.

To use logcat

Code:
adb shell
logcat

To logcat to a certain file do

Code:
adb shell
logcat -d > /sdcard/whatevertexfileyoulike.txt

For a full explanation follow the link in What is ADB​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: Is there an app that will help me create a logcat from my phone?[/SIZE]
Yes, however it does have its limitations. If you're stuck in a "bootloop", the app will not work, you will need to use ADB for this. If you're data is not connecting on a certain Rom, (or something similar) within the already booted OS, an app can be rather handy and and more user friendly, for those who don't understand ADB. Apps for logcat can be found in the marketplace​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: What does odexed and de-odexed mean and what is the difference between the two?[/SIZE]
Please read HERE

[SIZE=+1]Q12: What is a Nandroid backup?[/SIZE]
A Nandroid backup is a complete backup of your entire current operating system. It backs up the NAND flash, (this is the hard drive of your device). A Nandroid backup can mean the difference when you install a custom rom or when you play with the roots of your device, and something goes wrong.​

[SIZE=+1]Q13: How do I make a Nandroid Backup?[/SIZE]
In order to make a Nandroid backup, you need to install a Custom Recovery.

From your phone, enter recovery mode and look for the ‘backup and restore’ click on backup and wait a few minutes until the process is done. It is best to save your Nandroid backups on the external SD card or on the PC to avoid erasing it by mistake. Performing a back up will NOT back up your external sd card and unless you choose to format yoyr external sdcard this will remain a safe place for this back up​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: How do I restore a Nandroid Backup?[/SIZE]
Enter recovery mode again and look for the ‘backup and restore’. Select restore and everything should go back to normal in a few minutes.
If you choose the ‘Advanced Restore’ option, you can select which component of the backup to restore – like the boot, system, data or cache.
Reboot system. Your system is now restored and is exactly same as the time when the backup was made.​

[SIZE=+1]Q15: What is CWM Recovery (ClockWorkMod Recovery) and TWRP (TeamWin Recovery Project)?[/SIZE]
They are recovery program's that allows you to backup / restore a full or partial system backup of your device. They also allow you to install flashable .zip files; which is one of the primary installation methods for custom ROMs. They also provides other features such as cache and delvik wiping, battery reset, and other processes. If you are thinking about flashing custom ROMs or just want a really good backup program, it's strongly advised that you to install one of these.​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: Why does my battery drain quickly'?[/SIZE]
Please see HERE for possible steps that can help​

[SIZE=+1]Q17: What is the 'Flash Counter'?[/SIZE]
Your phone's "Flash Counter" is triggered when it detects custom firmwares. This is Samsung's way of knowing that your device has been modified. Please read HERE to understand what this does and how to fix it.​

[SIZE=+1]Q18: What is a ROM?[/SIZE]
A rom is like a custom firmware image that is made by a Developer either entirely from scratch, or based off of the official firmware package. Some ROMs contain simple changes like changing icons and adding extra options to things, other more complicated ROMs can change the entire Android experience. Which one you will want to flash, will be entirely up to you. Read carefully, and make sure you understand what you are getting into before you flash.​

[SIZE=+1]Q19: What is a Kernel?[/SIZE]
A kernel is the heart of the device's OS. In simplest terms it’s a connection between your apps and your device’s hardware; i.e. the processor, RAM, etc. A custom kernel can dramatically change the way your device’s hardware performs… for the better and/or the worse]​

[SIZE=+1]Q20: What is a Bootloader?[/SIZE]
The bootloader is a program code that is executed before the device OS starts up, and that instructs that device to boot “normally”. The bootloader can come locked or unlocked from the manufacture. A unlocked bootloader will allow you to install custom ROMs & Kernels (as well as some other neat things) on your device.​

[SIZE=+1]Q21: How can I return my Samsung Galaxy S III (AT&T) to stock?[/SIZE]
There can be many reasons one may need return to stock. If it is necessary for you to do this, please read the OP HERE

[SIZE=+1]Q22: What is the best rom for my phone?[/SIZE]
While you can ask this as many times as you wish, the only answer is: the one that works best for you! A rule of thumb is to visit a several rom thread's and view what is happening within these rom's. Eventually viewing a few roms will cause the urge to try one that looks good to you.​

[SIZE=+1]Q23: What is the MD5, and what does it do?[/SIZE]
It ensures that file's are downloaded correct and complete, in order to avoid issues when installing/using it.​

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Last edited:

Right2Bear

Jun 3, 2013
I checked my phone as per question 2. It is in fact the I747UCDLK3. But my Android is 4.1.1 and all the roms say 4.1.2 or 4.2.2. Are these the after effect of installing a rom or are they running a newer version prior to installing the rom? My phone is AT&T Galaxy 3 S I747.
Sorry for the stupid question, but I have tried seacrhing for an answer and ended up here.

digitalreflex

Nov 26, 2011
I checked my phone as per question 2. It is in fact the I747UCDLK3. But my Android is 4.1.1 and all the roms say 4.1.2 or 4.2.2. Are these the after effect of installing a rom or are they running a newer version prior to installing the rom? My phone is AT&T Galaxy 3 S I747.
Sorry for the stupid question, but I have tried seacrhing for an answer and ended up here.

Those are the versions that your phone will be on once you install the roms as those are the versions of android they are built on.

Reactions: Right2Bear

DudleyDoRite

Aug 17, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S10+
downgrade

The free unlock going around requires 4.1.1. I did the ota upgrade so im on 4.1.2. where do I find a 4.1.1 rom to flash? The stock rom thread is updated to 4.1.2, and Im not allowed to post on that thread.

aybarrap1

Mar 21, 2010
Guantanamo Bay
Moto X Style (Pure)
Moto X4
The free unlock going around requires 4.1.1. I did the ota upgrade so im on 4.1.2. where do I find a 4.1.1 rom to flash? The stock rom thread is updated to 4.1.2, and Im not allowed to post on that thread.

Just use the 4.1.1 ROM from MrRobinson's thread. Just look under the development thread under the sticky roll-up. It it's the How To thread on rooting without tripping the flash counter. It it's rooted but will accomplish your desired goal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Last edited:
Reactions: DudleyDoRite

DudleyDoRite

Aug 17, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Just use the 4.1.1 ROM from MrRobinson's thread. Just look under the development thread under the sticky roll-up. It it's the How To thread on rooting without tripping the flash counter. It it's rooted but will accomplish your desired goal.

Thank you for the reply. I found that rom and tried to flash it but it seems from his thread that there is some issue with it being an ATT rom and doesnt work for my Rogers S3, though most think the hardware is the same. got a "secure check fail : aboot. I'll keep looking for a 4.1.1 rom that will work on a rogers s3.

This is Odin's output:

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

"You can't use this method with the Telus SIII, because it's a UCALEM-specific flash."

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]Samsung Galaxy S III
    SGH-I747
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How do I ask a question, so I'm not called a noob?[/SIZE]
    While you may see many questions asked in the Development section, PLEASE be aware this is not the place for questions.

Remember to use the search found at the top of the forum. There is also a search within each section. Example click on Q&A HERE. In the upper right you will now see two search's. At the top it says Search All Forums and a little further down you will see Search This Forum. Enter your search criteria in the Search This Forum to get info from this section. The search at the top will look through the entire forum.

Please read as much as you can prior to doing anything with your device.

Make sure your question has not been answered in the OP (Opening Post) of each section of Development

Search Q&A for threads that may have been started for a particular rom​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I update my stock SIII?[/SIZE]
    The first thing that you must do is to check your current software version:

1) From any home screen touch Menu > Settings > About Phone.
    2) Scroll to the bottom and look for Baseband Version. It should be I747UCLEM, I747UCLG1, I747UCLH9 or I747UCLI5 before updating. It will be I747UCDLK3 after the update.​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How do I install a stock update (I'm on a non-rooted phone)?[/SIZE]
    This link click here will explain the full procedure​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: Where do I find Keis and what is it for?[/SIZE]
    Kies can be found click here. Kies is used to manage the content on Samsung mobile devices. It is used to move information between your PC/Mac to you phone and vice versa​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: What does Root/Rooting mean?[/SIZE]
    Put simply, Rooting your device allows you, and/or rooted apps, to access parts of the Linux based Android software that is your OS, and that you would otherwise not be able to access. These tasks can be as simple and beneficial as backing up your system setting, or as complicated as installing custom ROMs, Kernels, etc.​

[SIZE=+1]Q6: What is ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and what is it for?[/SIZE]
    Please read HERE. There is much to learn, please view everything in the threads OP​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: What is the purpose of rooting my Samsung Galaxy S III?[/SIZE]
    Please bear in mind, rooting can be dangerous and if done wrong "brick" your phone.
    Rooting the phone is a decision made by individuals looking to improve upon the Android OS. There are many benifits, however it is done to customize the phone to it's full potential​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How to I enter Download Mode and Recovery?[/SIZE]
    1) Make sure your phone is unplugged and powered off.

2) To enter Download Mode: Hold Volume down, home, and power until you see the android.

3) To enter Recovery: Hold Volume up, home, and power for about 5 seconds then release all buttons. You may need to try this a few times.​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: What is a "logcat" and how do I create one?[/SIZE]
    For setting up ADB see What is ADB (above) logcat allows us to log what the OS is doing, and possibly offer information if things are not working. its quite simple to create but may be difficult for most to understand. This is a tool a Developer may ask for in detecting issues your device may be encountering.

To use logcat

Code:
    adb shell
    logcat

To logcat to a certain file do

Code:
    adb shell
    logcat -d > /sdcard/whatevertexfileyoulike.txt

For a full explanation follow the link in What is ADB​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: Is there an app that will help me create a logcat from my phone?[/SIZE]
    Yes, however it does have its limitations. If you're stuck in a "bootloop", the app will not work, you will need to use ADB for this. If you're data is not connecting on a certain Rom, (or something similar) within the already booted OS, an app can be rather handy and and more user friendly, for those who don't understand ADB. Apps for logcat can be found in the marketplace​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: What does odexed and de-odexed mean and what is the difference between the two?[/SIZE]
    Please read HERE

[SIZE=+1]Q12: What is a Nandroid backup?[/SIZE]
    A Nandroid backup is a complete backup of your entire current operating system. It backs up the NAND flash, (this is the hard drive of your device). A Nandroid backup can mean the difference when you install a custom rom or when you play with the roots of your device, and something goes wrong.​

[SIZE=+1]Q13: How do I make a Nandroid Backup?[/SIZE]
    In order to make a Nandroid backup, you need to install a Custom Recovery.

From your phone, enter recovery mode and look for the ‘backup and restore’ click on backup and wait a few minutes until the process is done. It is best to save your Nandroid backups on the external SD card or on the PC to avoid erasing it by mistake. Performing a back up will NOT back up your external sd card and unless you choose to format yoyr external sdcard this will remain a safe place for this back up​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: How do I restore a Nandroid Backup?[/SIZE]
    Enter recovery mode again and look for the ‘backup and restore’. Select restore and everything should go back to normal in a few minutes.
    If you choose the ‘Advanced Restore’ option, you can select which component of the backup to restore – like the boot, system, data or cache.
    Reboot system. Your system is now restored and is exactly same as the time when the backup was made.​

[SIZE=+1]Q15: What is CWM Recovery (ClockWorkMod Recovery) and TWRP (TeamWin Recovery Project)?[/SIZE]
    They are recovery program's that allows you to backup / restore a full or partial system backup of your device. They also allow you to install flashable .zip files; which is one of the primary installation methods for custom ROMs. They also provides other features such as cache and delvik wiping, battery reset, and other processes. If you are thinking about flashing custom ROMs or just want a really good backup program, it's strongly advised that you to install one of these.​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: Why does my battery drain quickly'?[/SIZE]
    Please see HERE for possible steps that can help​

[SIZE=+1]Q17: What is the 'Flash Counter'?[/SIZE]
    Your phone's "Flash Counter" is triggered when it detects custom firmwares. This is Samsung's way of knowing that your device has been modified. Please read HERE to understand what this does and how to fix it.​

[SIZE=+1]Q18: What is a ROM?[/SIZE]
    A rom is like a custom firmware image that is made by a Developer either entirely from scratch, or based off of the official firmware package. Some ROMs contain simple changes like changing icons and adding extra options to things, other more complicated ROMs can change the entire Android experience. Which one you will want to flash, will be entirely up to you. Read carefully, and make sure you understand what you are getting into before you flash.​

[SIZE=+1]Q19: What is a Kernel?[/SIZE]
    A kernel is the heart of the device's OS. In simplest terms it’s a connection between your apps and your device’s hardware; i.e. the processor, RAM, etc. A custom kernel can dramatically change the way your device’s hardware performs… for the better and/or the worse]​

[SIZE=+1]Q20: What is a Bootloader?[/SIZE]
    The bootloader is a program code that is executed before the device OS starts up, and that instructs that device to boot “normally”. The bootloader can come locked or unlocked from the manufacture. A unlocked bootloader will allow you to install custom ROMs & Kernels (as well as some other neat things) on your device.​

[SIZE=+1]Q21: How can I return my Samsung Galaxy S III (AT&T) to stock?[/SIZE]
    There can be many reasons one may need return to stock. If it is necessary for you to do this, please read the OP HERE

[SIZE=+1]Q22: What is the best rom for my phone?[/SIZE]
    While you can ask this as many times as you wish, the only answer is: the one that works best for you! A rule of thumb is to visit a several rom thread's and view what is happening within these rom's. Eventually viewing a few roms will cause the urge to try one that looks good to you.​

[SIZE=+1]Q23: What is the MD5, and what does it do?[/SIZE]
    It ensures that file's are downloaded correct and complete, in order to avoid issues when installing/using it.​

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
    A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Those are the versions that your phone will be on once you install the roms as those are the versions of android they are built on.