[4.3+] [Root] App Ops for Root (Version 1.1)

Search This thread

VivaErBetis

Nov 26, 2006
Madrid (Spain)
Fantastic app! I've installed the PRO version in muy nexus 4 and 10, stock 4.4.2, and works like a charm!

I have a request of a feature for future versions, if possible: to have the option to list all the current denied permissions in order to have all of them always controlled (a kind of "changed permissions" list).

Thanks and best regards.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

A little thing I noticed in the nexus 10. In landscape mode the apps are shown in an screen with two annoying vertical lines in both sides creating a kind of shaded box. In portrait mode it's shown ok.

I attached two screen captures, one in portrait and another in landscape mode.

Thanks and best regards.

mevypahe.jpg

u9abuhu2.jpg

Last edited:

safet.me

Jan 18, 2013
Fantastic app! I've installed the PRO version in muy nexus 4 and 10, stock 4.4.2, and works like a charm!

I have a request of a feature for future versions, if possible: to have the option to list all the current denied permissions in order to have all of them always controlled (a kind of "changed permissions" list).

Thanks and best regards.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

A little thing I noticed in the nexus 10. In landscape mode the apps are shown in an screen with two annoying vertical lines in both sides creating a kind of shaded box. In portrait mode it's shown ok.

I attached two screen captures, one in portrait and another in landscape mode.

Thanks and best regards.

mevypahe.jpg

u9abuhu2.jpg

Thanks for your report. I hope to fix it soon.

Reactions: VivaErBetis

sutobe

Dec 10, 2013
Hey,

I bought the Pro version because I liked the App shows me more entrys than another, similar purpose app from the playstore.

But maybe you could add one function from the other App Ops app, a search function!

this is very usefull if you installed a new app and you want to find it quickly in App Ops.

You think this is possible?

sordna

Dec 12, 2012
I bought the Pro version because I liked the App shows me more entrys than another, similar purpose app from the playstore.

Hi, this is interesting, I thought the list of App Ops depends only on the android version. What additional entries does this one provide?

sutobe

Dec 10, 2013
I noticed an additional tab for "Media" which another popular AppOps app doesn't have and a particular example was the app for the German car magazine "Auto Motor & Sport", which doesn't show up with the AppOps app I had before, but does with this.....which brings me back to the search function, that's how I could quick check if all installed apps showed up. ;)

Dala11

Nov 24, 2008
Awesome app, I just installed it on a stock nexus 7 (2012), the only progress I saw was the tablet rebooting..

Now if I start the App Ops Installer it notes the app is installed, and I can also open it. But then the tabs never fill up with information, I only see a spinner..

any idea what is wrong?

safet.me

Jan 18, 2013
Awesome app, I just installed it on a stock nexus 7 (2012), the only progress I saw was the tablet rebooting..

Now if I start the App Ops Installer it notes the app is installed, and I can also open it. But then the tabs never fill up with information, I only see a spinner..

any idea what is wrong?

Which Android version your Nexus 7 running? Anyway, a screenshot may be helpful to identify the issue. Thanks

nerotix

Mar 19, 2011
Utrecht
@safet.me

Trying to install it with CM11 on nexus 5, after pressing installing and giving it root permissions, it just reboot and nothing has changed. Any intel?

bb709394

Mar 16, 2012
App Ops

same for me. i can only run "Launch Stock AppOps", install method causes restart with no change. I can change permissions though, which is nice. (running codefirex ROM, android 4.3 on Oppo Find 5 - couldnt find app ops option in this ROM :rolleyes: )
thanks developer

Hopefully, you found the resolution already: don't use the "Launch Stock AppOps" from the installer.

After installing and rebooting the phone, it will create another app icon called "App Ops (root)" in your main drawer. You need to run this one.

Barely Running

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
While I'm waiting for a non-Root version

Greetings,

While I am waiting for a non-Root version of this app, can anyone provide me with a recommendation for an app that I can use to manage permissions without rooting the phone?

peret2000

Mar 22, 2012
Madrid
Can it control network access?

Nice tool. I am using it, and for the moment it is really useful. I have not seen any chance to disallow network access. It is the very fundamental right I would like to prohibit to a number of applications, Is it possible with this tool? thanks a lot

Moreover, it seems some apps are skiping prohibitions. I am explaining: I deactivated these tho rights: 'Post notification' and 'Keep awake'. For some reason, after a while, it swnds notifivations, and changed those rights to 'Activated'. Does it make sense?

Last edited:

natul

May 28, 2014
I was running Slim Kat 4.4.2 and no new app appeared.

Guessing it may have to do with directory / device names.

Switched to another rom that has app Ops included.

Hi,

Has anyone identified the root-cause why the installation does not work on some 4.4.2 devices?

I have no clue why it is not working on my rooted HTC One (4.4.2 w/ Sense 5.5)
I installed the free version on a friend's device (Nexus): worked fine, bought the Pro to install it on my HTC One: no new app appears. Nothing happens after the install-procedure by running "App Ops Installer" and a reboot. The effect is the same as previously described by some previous posts reporting "not working" "no new app"...
[SuperSU provides Root-Acess to App Ops Installer, Settings\Power\Fastboot is disabled, Security\Apps verification disabled & Allow Unkown Source enabled] am I missing something?...

Any information whether it has to do with the directory / device names?
I appreciate any feedback how/whether the app runs on HTC One 4.4.2.

Cheers

ninetitle

Aug 16, 2010
doesn't work!

Report doesn't work on PA4.4-RC2 Galaxy Nexus! (4.4.3)
As previous comments, installed and reboot, but nothing appear!

Last edited:

Bert02

Feb 16, 2012
works on s4 rooted 4.4.2
setting up so i can use more than 1 sms app

it shows duplicate msgs in both my apps but only send 1 msg so works a treat

Last edited:

Peikko

Jan 4, 2009
Could it be that this APP does not show every permission? Fox exampe PayPal shows in the store much more permission than this app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you may know, Google has remove App Ops on Android 4.4.2. This app helps you to bring it back

Root device only for now

What is App Ops
    App Ops is an activity, within the Settings app, that allows users to enable or disable operations on a per-app basis. These operations cover many common scenarios identified by permissions (e.g., read contacts, write contacts, access location), though it is not a pure one-to-one mapping.

Operations blocked by App Ops are inaccessible by the affected app, though that may vary by device.

Toggle-able permissions
    - Access notifications
    - Alarm volume
    - Audio focus
    - Bluetooth volume
    - Call phone
    - Camera
    - Draw on top
    - Keep awake
    - Media buttons
    - Media volume
    - Modify calendar
    - Modify call log
    - Modify clipboard
    - Modify contacts
    - Modify settings
    - Notification volume
    - Play audio
    - Post notification
    - Read calendar
    - Read call log
    - Read clipboard
    - Read contacts
    - Read SMS/MMS
    - Receive SMS/MMS
    - Record audio
    - Ring volume
    - Send SMS/MMS
    - Vibrate
    - Voice volume
    - Write SMS/MMS

Download
    Google Play:
    Free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=droidmate.appopsinstaller
    Pro: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=droidmate.appopsinstallerpro

Any feedback, report, please leave your comment.

Change logs
    Ver 1.1
    - Add uninstall AppOps
    - Add update AppOps
    - Fixed minor bugs
    - Refine permission list

Ver 1.0
    - Initial release
    That's how Google implemented App Ops. It was never meant to control all permissions.
    Just a small subset, unfortunately.
    Even CM's Privacy Guard doesn't control everything.

To control more permissions, such as Internet access or storage access, I highly recommend the Advanced Permission Manager app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.heagoo.pmaster

What it does is edit the apk itself and reinstall (non-system) apps with reduced permissions. You can see and remove any permission. There are 2 caveats:
    1. Certain apps crash if you remove certain permissions from them. So try and remove one or two permissions only first.
    2. You will no longer be prompted for updates in an app that you removed permissions since the app signature is changed.

These caveats are not a fault of Advanced Permission Manager (just like the reduced permissions is not a fault of the various App Ops apps).

Anyway I have had great success with both these apps, I even got the Pro version of Advanced Permission Manager.
    As this changes this system files can we uninstall if we want? I have not installed it yet

It only installs one apk in /system/priv-app/

If you are rooted and have titanium backup or other toolbox you can easily uninstall it (titanium can uninstall system apps); second easiest option is to use ES File Explorer or other root file manager; other ways include adb shell commands (mount / rm), and finally another method that actually doesn't require root is via custom recovery that has a builtin file manager like twrp does... you would mount /system and delete the apk from /system/priv-app
    How does this compare to the likes of XPrivacy. It appears this completely denies the permission which would cause certain apps to crash vs providing random false data.

XPrivacy is way more powerful and allows you to revoke many more permissions, but App Ops although limited, works quite well. You cannot remove network access with it, but I removed location, contacts, vibrate, camera, from some apps, and none crashed so far. I've been using App Ops since it was introduced in Jelly Bean, and still do in KitKat.
    for all people where the install option does not work:

this is the app that is copied to /system/priv-app. dont know if its the same as the playtore apk.
    got this when playing around with "setenforce 0" and remount /system. but cant reproduce it.

anyway, this works:
    https www dot dropbox dot com/s/tcw7vdvij84m2m7/AppOpsApp.apk?dl=0

# copy apk:
    adb push AppOpsApp.apk /sdcard/.
    # get into adb shell
    adb shell
    # get root permissions
    su (confirm su on android)
    # remount /system
    busybox mount /system -o rw,remount
    # copy app
    cp /sdcard/AppOpsApp.apk /system/priv-app/AppOpsApp.apk
    # fix permissions
    chmod 777 /system/priv-app/AppOpsApp.apk
    # notify package manager for new app
    am broadcast -a android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED

if not, put a few "setenforce 0" between the commands ^^

edit: i did a "setenforce 1" when finished, dont know if this is needed.
    and completely shut down and start the phone, because otherwise supersu may not work.
    hope the dev can use this infos for fixing the app.