[GAPPS][CLOSED][4.4.4] PA-GOOGLE APPS (All ROM's) [CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

omario117

May 21, 2009
Chicago
I've run into a problem suddenly where flashing this with Cataclysm on the Nexus 5 has an issue with the keyboard preventing me from ever completing the initial setup. Has anybody else run into this problem? I'm going wipe and try again, but just wanted to see if anybody else ran into the issue.

Edit: Seems something just didn't go right in first flash, all working well this time around.

Yes it is the name. That's it a name. Not an entitlement

It's not an entitlement to expect the dev to do something the dev said would be done...

"0-day Google Apps: We update as soon as Google releases new variants"

It's fair and within his right to assume the dev will update as soon as possible. He didn't attack the dev or whine or do anything beside say something entirely accurate. By my count, 12 of the apps in the full package have update dates more recent than the last posted package (11/19). While I don't expect the updates to happen on the same day, when the OP states that updates would occur as soon as Google releases them, you leave yourself open to this criticism. My suggestion would be to simply drop the 0-day words out of the title and the OP, so as to not create such an expectation, or to make an update post if unable to update within a day or two.

With all that being said, I appreciate what TKruzze has provided, and I know he has spent some time trying to correct certain issues on Nexus 10 versions (or so a previous post implied), so I expected his attention to be elsewhere anyway. I've gone ahead and let Play Store update my apps, then used TB to achieve what this package would have achieved anyway.

Last edited:

drewski_1

Jul 20, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
I've run into a problem suddenly where flashing this with Cataclysm on the Nexus 5 has an issue with the keyboard preventing me from ever completing the initial setup. Has anybody else run into this problem? I'm going wipe and try again, but just wanted to see if anybody else ran into the issue.

Edit: Seems something just didn't go right in first flash, all working well this time around.

It's not an entitlement to expect the dev to do something the dev said would be done...

"0-day Google Apps: We update as soon as Google releases new variants"

It's fair and within his right to assume the dev will update as soon as possible. He didn't attack the dev or whine or do anything beside say something entirely accurate. By my count, 12 of the apps in the full package have update dates more recent than the last posted package (11/19). While I don't expect the updates to happen on the same day, when the OP states that updates would occur as soon as Google releases them, you leave yourself open to this criticism. My suggestion would be to simply drop the 0-day words out of the title and the OP, so as to not create such an expectation, or to make an update post if unable to update within a day or two.

With all that being said, I appreciate what TKruzze has provided, and I know he has spent some time trying to correct certain issues on Nexus 10 versions (or so a previous post implied), so I expected his attention to be elsewhere anyway. I've gone ahead and let Play Store update my apps, then used TB to achieve what this package would have achieved anyway.

Relax folks.

I'm trying to help TKruzze on the N10 photosphere issue, and he PM'd me yesterday that he's been offline for a few days because of some non-Android issues.

He's just one guy and not permanently attached to his computer working on PA GApps.

They'll get updated soon, I'm sure.

Oct 29, 2013
[QUESTION]

Quick question. When installing an older GApps package, will the apps get automatically odexed after getting updated from the PlayStore?
I see that a .odex accompanies the .apk files in the system folder which enable us to use ART and also get faster speed without ART. I was wondering if after updates from the PlayStore, whether the .odex files would regenerate themselves or be updated accordingly from the PlayStore.

iamarshad

Sep 18, 2013
Guys, I have nexus s running cyanogenmod 11 android 4.4. So I downloaded the full package of gapps for android 4.4 which was around 257 Mb or so. When I flash these gapps with 4.4 custom roms initial start up would be fine but home screen goes black and does not show up.!! Notification panel works fine and so do other things in notification tray but only home screen is completely blank.

Later I realised that google search was not installed in the package which is very essential for kitkat launcher, which was the reason for my home screen going blank.!! Now is there a way to flash only google search so that my homescreen gets working.!!?

Since my home screen is blank I cannot launch app drawer and thus cannot update/download google search from play store. Any alternative as such.!!?

Do I get a separate flashable zip only for google search so that things start working.!!? If so, do provide me a link.!!!

Last edited:

Woman in Red

Nov 6, 2013
installation aborted when flashing gapps

hey, can someone please help me?? I am unable to flash gapps on cwm recovery. i have suceeded flashing P.A 4.0 using cwm 6.0.4.3 and it all went well but when trying to flash gapps given on the site it says installation abborted (bad). can someone help me?? please.. please...:confused:

JS0724

Sep 18, 2010
Last edited by a moderator:

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Thread cleaned
Please keep this thread on topic
If you have other things to discuss make another thread, PM the person, etc.
As stated, real life happens and cause developers to be away from updating things
Have compassion and patience
Remember everything here is a gift, not an entitlement
Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood SeniorMod

WLabrador

Feb 3, 2011
Caracas
Thanks for your effort. I just tried the Modular 4.3 latest package and it's working like a charm with CM 10.2 M1. Eagerly waiting for some PA KitKat goodness for my maguro! Have a nice day all.

TKruzze

PA GApps Status Update

Thanks to those who have been patient and understanding while I've been away these past 4-5 days. For those who have not.... your contract is hereby revoked.:p

I will be releasing updated packages within the next 24 hours. However, I wanted to take a moment and share the current status of GApps and PA GApps and how I see things going forward.

To Deodex or not to Deodex... That is the question
I am convinced, more than ever, that odexed GApps are a bad idea. True, deodexed GApps won't work with ART, however odexed GApps were really only designed to work on the device the odex was compiled for . To prove my point, you can do a bit for bit comparison on any of the odex files from any Nexus factory image and you'll find that the files are different - even between similar Nexus devices (i.e. Nexus 7 WiFi and Nexus 7 LTE). To me, this almost guarantees that there could be incompatibilities (unexplained FC's) when using the odex files from a Nexus 5 factory image on completely dissimilar devices. Then there's the problem of addon.d backup script support. We know, for a fact, that CM does not support backing up and restoring .odex files. However, the problem likely extends to other ROM's as well.

So, what's the answer then? The easy way would be to go back to deodexing which is what all GApps maintainers had done prior to KitKat. Backup functionality would be restored and the odex compatibility issues would be gone. This, however, would leave ART users out in the cold or looking for alternative GApps packages. Since ART is only experimental and adds a whole new dimension of application compatibility issues anyway, I am considering this option, however I haven't finally decided at this point.

Another option is to convert (deodex) the odexed applications using dex2oat - recently released by Google to support KitKat. This, I understand, will allow the applications to work with ART and will also leave them in a deodexed, addon.d compatible state. However, I've been unable to find much information, to this point, on how to accomplish the conversion. If you can provide details or assistance with this, please PM me ASAP. This is the option I would prefer to choose, however, I'm going to need more information than I've been able to find to date.

The final option is to continue to do things as we currently do - Odexed GApps. However, for all of the reasons stated above, I really don't see this as a viable option any longer. I'll spend the next week or so evaluating things before I make a final decision.

I am also continuing to troubleshoot the camera problem on the Nexus 10. Thanks the @drewski_1 for the continued assistance. Since I don't think I've read any issues with other supported Nexus devices, I'll assume they are working fine.

Lastly, the Google Dialer - I am still planning on adding it. However, since a 'One Size Fits All' approach has not been found, I am waiting until all the above problems are solved before I add new ones to the mix. :fingers-crossed:

_Raziel666

Jun 15, 2011
Athens
Thanks to those who have been patient and understanding while I've been away these past 4-5 days. For those who have not.... your contract is hereby revoked.:p

I will be releasing updated packages within the next 24 hours. However, I wanted to take a moment and share the current status of GApps and PA GApps and how I see things going forward.

I am convinced, more than ever, that odexed GApps are a bad idea. True, deodexed GApps won't work with ART, however odexed GApps were really only designed to work on the device the odex was compiled for . To prove my point, you can do a bit for bit comparison on any of the odex files from any Nexus factory image and you'll find that the files are different - even between similar Nexus devices (i.e. Nexus 7 WiFi and Nexus 7 LTE). To me, this almost guarantees that there could be incompatibilities (unexplained FC's) when using the odex files from a Nexus 5 factory image on completely dissimilar devices. Then there's the problem of addon.d backup script support. We know, for a fact, that CM does not support backing up and restoring .odex files. However, the problem likely extends to other ROM's as well.

So, what's the answer then? The easy way would be to go back to deodexing which is what all GApps maintainers had done prior to KitKat. Backup functionality would be restored and the odex compatibility issues would be gone. This, however, would leave ART users out in the cold or looking for alternative GApps packages. Since ART is only experimental and adds a whole new dimension of application compatibility issues anyway, I am considering this option, however I haven't finally decided at this point.

Another option is to convert (deodex) the odexed applications using dex2oat - recently released by Google to support KitKat. This, I understand, will allow the applications to work with ART and will also leave them in a deodexed, addon.d compatible state. However, I've been unable to find much information, to this point, on how to accomplish the conversion. If you can provide details or assistance with this, please PM me ASAP. This is the option I would prefer to choose, however, I'm going to need more information than I've been able to find to date.

The final option is to continue to do things as we currently do - Odexed GApps. However, for all of the reasons stated above, I really don't see this as a viable option any longer. I'll spend the next week or so evaluating things before I make a final decision.

I am also continuing to troubleshoot the camera problem on the Nexus 10. Thanks the @drewski_1 for the continued assistance. Since I don't think I've read any issues with other supported Nexus devices, I'll assume they are working fine.

Lastly, the Google Dialer - I am still planning on adding it. However, since a 'One Size Fits All' approach has not been found, I am waiting until all the above problems are solved before I add new ones to the mix. :fingers-crossed:

@TKruzze thank you for your this lengthy explanation. Of course you didn't need to answer to all those ungrateful people complaining about 0-day and whatnot.

On the issue of odexed vs. deodexed: some guy here (http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/54188/) provides a link to his deodexed GApps package (http://d-h.st/users/dhacker29/?fld_id=27426#files), which is said to work ok with ART and KitKat. Haven't tried that myself though.

Looking forward to what you'll come up with! :)

Reactions: AlanJ72

aini12aian

Jan 4, 2013
I just flashed 4.4 gapps on your pa maguro aosp 4.4 kit kat

Panorama is not working. Everytime I use it, camera will not work and shows only black.
And I don't have Photosphere as well. Is Galaxy Nexus included on those compatible phones for Photosphere? Thanks in advance!

drewski_1

Jul 20, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
On the issue of odexed vs. deodexed: some guy here (http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/54188/) provides a link to his deodexed GApps package (http://d-h.st/users/dhacker29/?fld_id=27426#files), which is said to work ok with ART and KitKat. Haven't tried that myself though.

Looking forward to the future of the Gaps.

BTW, "some guy" is dhacker29, a pretty well respected dev, at least on the TI OMAP side of things.

I'm trying his deodexed GApps on one device with ART and is working flawlessly so far. (Also running his CM11 build on my OG DROID Razr Maxx.)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

provolinoo

Nov 19, 2010
Milano

I think focusing on deodexed gapps is the best choice, ART is still an experimental compiler and I'll wait for google to release it officially before starting to work on it (we cannot know, maybe final version will be much different from current state)

TKruzze

I just flashed 4.4 gapps on your pa maguro aosp 4.4 kit kat

Panorama is not working. Everytime I use it, camera will not work and shows only black.
And I don't have Photosphere as well. Is Galaxy Nexus included on those compatible phones for Photosphere? Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately, since Google made the decision to stop supporting Android 4.4 on the Galaxy Nexus, I'm unable to support it as well.

Reactions: aini12aian

ataris_kid

Mar 4, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Has anyone had success with this GApps package and Google's backup transport on 4.4? I'm not able to get Android to recognize the Backup Transport service provided by GoogleBackupTransport.apk on any 4.4 ROM that I have tried. It is as though Android doesn't even recognize that the transport is available. A more detailed breakdown of the issue can be found here (in hindsight, I shouldn't have posted it in a Galaxy Nexus-specific area). Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: After reading the odex/deodex post, I assume this is related to the fact that these are odexed. Guess we shall see how this plays out.

Last edited:

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
Google Pixel 7 Pro

I would like to put in a vote for ODEX'd GAPPs, in support of ART. I suggest that there is 'more' to being part of the XDA community than 'just' creating 'daily drivers.' We have some responsibility, however ethereal, to developing Android in whatever capacity we have the time and skills to contribute from, be it developing, testing, etc. ART is clearly the future direction of Android under Google, and figuring out the aspects of using it, developing for it, is something we should be involved with, to the best of our abilities.

Just my $.02 worth. jf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts