Android NBHCREATOR [v0.3] on Ubuntu. FROYO SUPPORT & ADVANCED SETTINGS [July-29-2010]

Search This thread

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
OK....

it also works fine on my wifes computer. w/8.04

Did you uninstall the older version before installing the new one???

if not, could you try uninstalling first, then reinstalling version 0.3b.

ZeGuido

Aug 22, 2008
Toulouse
mmh, I'm not very used to Gdebi. I usually don't use it. So I had to read a bit in uBuntu forums. Now I uninstalled nbhCreator and reinstalled it. I get to choose the output folder, but he output actually get on the desktop folder and is simply nmed froyo (no date stamp).
As I previously installed the new version without uninstalling the previous one, it may be possible that using synaptic to uninstall doesn't work completly and correctly.
I'll try to find a way to completly remove all nbhcreator remains before reinstalling one. this might be tricky if I really mess up using Gdebi.

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
mmh, I'm not very used to Gdebi. I usually don't use it. So I had to read a bit in uBuntu forums. Now I uninstalled nbhCreator and reinstalled it. I get to choose the output folder, but he output actually get on the desktop folder and is simply nmed froyo (no date stamp).
As I previously installed the new version without uninstalling the previous one, it may be possible that using synaptic to uninstall doesn't work completly and correctly.
I'll try to find a way to completly remove all nbhcreator remains before reinstalling one. this might be tricky if I really mess up using Gdebi.

I really don't know why your having problems with this.

I have installed on 3 different machines using 4 different OS.
ubuntu 8.04, 9.10, 10.4 as well as antix (mepis)

all installed and worked fine producing correctly named files with date stamp.

I am unsure how it is even possible that it is creating a file called froyo.
it isn't in the code to write that anywhere.
for that part of the file name I don't use variables. it is hard-coded to write
either VOGUIMG, POLARIMG or KAISIMG and then a variable for the datestamp.

how it is getting the froyo part to even write is beyond me.

and it shouldn't write to the desktop unless you select that as a destination.

when I use synaptic to uninstall a program I select "Mark for complete removal"
so it gets rid of everything.
being that the older version had more files in it. that may be the issue.

and now uninstalling the newer version doesn't know to delete those files.

maybe try uninstalling new version... then re-install old version... then "completely remove" old version... then reinstall new version.

if that doesnt work then all I can say is I am working on the crossplatform version
and maybe that will work better for you.

I am very curious if anyone else is having this same problem???

ZeGuido

Aug 22, 2008
Toulouse
maybe try uninstalling new version... then re-install old version... then "completely remove" old version... then reinstall new version.

that's exactly what I think the problem is. But I didn't save the previous version. Do you have a link to where you keep the old version (sourceforge ? )

As for my strange issue, I tried to rename the zimage file I use (it is named zimage-froyo). I still get a file called froyo on desktop. If I choose a donut android version, I get 'froyo' either... 8°
Could it be that I use a localized (french) uBuntu setup. (could be confusing the software depending how it is made, but I doubt it)
I really think the problem comes from me messing up with gdebi...

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
that's exactly what I think the problem is. But I didn't save the previous version. Do you have a link to where you keep the old version (sourceforge ? )

As for my strange issue, I tried to rename the zimage file I use (it is named zimage-froyo). I still get a file called froyo on desktop. If I choose a donut android version, I get 'froyo' either... 8°
Could it be that I use a localized (french) uBuntu setup. (could be confusing the software depending how it is made, but I doubt it)
I really think the problem comes from me messing up with gdebi...

OK...

I don't have the old version with me right now.

however, I think I found the problem.

the only way I have been able to reproduce this problem is when I try saving the output to a folder that is on the desktop.
Although, my file is named "untitled" not "froyo" but either way its not being named correctly.

when I save directly to the desktop or any folder that is not on the desktop it works fine.

I haven't looked into why it does this yet, But if this is the problem I will get it fixed ASAP.

other than that, the file that gets wrote to the desktop should still be a valid NBH file. you can verify it with a hex-editor.
just rename to POLAIMG.NBH or what ever you need.

Last edited:

ZeGuido

Aug 22, 2008
Toulouse
I confirm it works fine when the zimage is on the desktop and the output folder is the desktop. It's also working with the zimage and the output.nbh in any folder that is not on the desktop (meaning that don't have the desktop in its pathname).

I'm going to flash my phone :)

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
I confirm it works fine when the zimage is on the desktop and the output folder is the desktop. It's also working with the zimage and the output.nbh in any folder that is not on the desktop (meaning that don't have the desktop in its pathname).

I'm going to flash my phone :)

Great news...

I will fix it ASAP.

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
i have been out of town for a few, so I will update as soon as I get back.

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
I have been unable to work on this at all lately...
and by the lack of community interest I will probably stop development all together.

It does what I want and I will continue to use it for my own needs.
but unless I get some requests I will not be updating this anymore.

ZeGuido

Aug 22, 2008
Toulouse
Well, I don't think there's a lack of interest in your job, simply it works.
Now for a question that may be out of the subject. If I'd like to change the key mapping, is it the Zimage that have to be changed ? If so, may be would it be possible to add it to NBHCreator option...

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
Well, I don't think there's a lack of interest in your job, simply it works.
Now for a question that may be out of the subject. If I'd like to change the key mapping, is it the Zimage that have to be changed ? If so, may be would it be possible to add it to NBHCreator option...

Actually I have noticed that some tools are like that, they work so well that the author does not receive much feedback, since 90% of the time feedback is in the form of bug reports or support questions.

I do have some more ideas for future development but I am unsure when I will be able to return to it. I am going to be really busy the next month or so. but I will continue to post whatever changes I do make.

as for the desktop folder issue I haven't been able to pin down why it freaks out like that... so until I get some time on my hands just continue to avoid saving the output to a folder on the desktop. any place else seems to work fine.

keymapping is done in /system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl

and if anyone has any easy ways to make this multi-platform I would like to hear suggestions. I don't really have time to learn new languages right now...

thanks

endersm

Jul 28, 2007
bug report

Having trouble with NBH creator on Kubuntu 10.04.1

The big problem is that with most recent kernel builds, I'm not able to package everything:
Code:
/home/armalota/.nbh/work/tinboot.s: Assembler messages:
/home/armalota/.nbh/work/tinboot.s:92: Error: attempt to move .org backwards
/usr/share/nbhcreator/bin/arm-2010q1/objcopy: '/home/armalota/.nbh/work/tinboot.o': No such file
cat: /home/armalota/.nbh/work/tinboot: No such file or directory

I've tried to edit the NBHCreator.gambas file and increase XIP_END, but when I do that, it fails with:
Code:
NBMerge 2.1rc2
Executing Z:\usr\share\nbhcreator\bin\kitchen\NBMerge.exe with data chunk size = 0x800 and extra chunk size = 0x8
on file /home/armalota/.nbh/work/output.nb
Partition 0: start sector: 0x00000002, total: 0x000005be
               first used: 0x00000002, used:  0x000005be
Partition 1: start sector: 0x000005c0, total: 0x00000000
               first used: 0x000005c0, used:  0x00000000
Partition 2: start sector: 0x000005c0, total: 0x00000040
               first used: 0x000005c0, used:  0x00000007
Partition 3: start sector: 0x00000600, total: 0x00000000
               first used: 0x00000600, used:  0x00000000
Checking /home/armalota/.nbh/work/output.nb for bad NAND block marker
-------> Found BAD BLOCK marker! <------
Do not flash this file!
Sector: 0x601
 All extra bytes:
0x0000
0x0000
0x0000
0x0000
0x0000
0x0000
0x0000
0x0000
=== yang v1.1: Yet Another NBH Generator
=== (c) 2008 Pau Oliva Fora - pof @ XDA-Developers

[] Output NBH file: /home/armalota/appinstall/vogue-kernel//VOGUIMG.NBH-9-8-2010_13.48.32
[] Input files: /home/armalota/.nbh/work/output.nb
[] Input types: 0x400
[] SignMaxChunkSize: 64
[] Device: VOGU100
[] CID: 11111111
[] Version: 1.0.MARTIN
[] Language: WWE

[] 0x400 --> /home/armalota/.nbh/work/output.nb

Done!

zImage is 1769492 bytes

any help is appreciated.

any ideas?

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
Having trouble with NBH creator on Kubuntu 10.04.1

The big problem is that with most recent kernel builds, I'm not able to package everything:

there has been a lot of changes to the kernel as well as its associated files on the newer zImages.

The last zImage I can confirm to work is dzo's zImage-froyo-26-07-10.

I will try and get this updated in the next week or so. until then, try using the "nbh editor" program.

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
By request, I am making this thread a sticky and making some adjustments to the forum. Please PM me if you have any requests. Thanks.

ZeGuido

Aug 22, 2008
Toulouse
Hy,
Do you plan to give further support to your great app ? I'd really like to see the newest kernel supported. I had better result so far with NBHcreator than with NBH editor.
Thank you.

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
I certainly do plan on developing this further...
I know its been a while but I just started a new job, I will resume this ASAP...

Hopefully it will still be relevent by the time I get this updated...

ZeGuido

Aug 22, 2008
Toulouse
Thanks mnjm9b,
I certainly won't blame you for not having time to developing for those that aren't able to do it by themselve (as I).
I hope you have an interessing position and no boneheaded boss.
God luck.

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
Is anyone still using this???

in the midst of my time away here I went and got a new phone so I no longer will be supporting this.

I know that atools works pretty well
but I am not sure if you can load your own kernel into that.

if anyone wants the source for this, I will be more than happy to share it. (although it is very messy code... :eek: )