FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUT]Complete upgrading guide(root, unroot, flashing ROM & updates)

2,663 posts
Thanks Meter: 103

By benko286, Retired Forum Moderator on 6th June 2010, 11:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th June 2010, 11:37 AM |#121  
Sky
Thanks Meter: 0

More
rooting desire-problem with recovery screen
Hello
please help me
i pass step1
but when i select recovery step2 doesnt work and apears in cmd : device not found
and i dont have any choice in recovery screen (black screen with ! & a cellphone and nothing)

my firmware version:2.1-update1 (exactly this) in software information in about phone page

thanks a millinion

17th June 2010, 12:14 PM |#122  
Thanks Meter: 158

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benko286

I have no idea who unsticked it, anyway it is back sticky

Great mate..!

How about making fake-flash a sticky again too?
Think it's a good idea to have the collected links, tutorials etc in top.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=698403
17th June 2010, 12:28 PM |#123  
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Croatia, Zagreb
Thanks Meter: 103

More
Don't get what is flash-fake for, you cannot use it if you haven't rooted your device?

It is for safer flashing or?
17th June 2010, 12:35 PM |#124  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benko286

Don't get what is flash-fake for, you cannot use it if you haven't rooted your device?

It is for safer flashing or?

Correctemundo. Safer/easier when you swap ROMs, test and experiment.

Mac
17th June 2010, 01:49 PM |#125  

More
Is there a way to clean the whole internal memory before i flash a new rom?

i tried to swipe anything and also Clear Storage option, but it didn't work very well.

thank you
17th June 2010, 08:12 PM |#126  
Flag Out and About
Thanks Meter: 12

More
ok, i did look at the thread, and someone has come across this before, but i have the remote: 42 custom id check fail error. I've got the newest update (the one that caused problems with wifi for unbranded orange desire). i created a new goldcard (using goldcardtool - much easier, and seems to work better; cant get the manual goldcard method...human error somewhere)
I've placed the goldcard in, and done the steps for the tinycore linux in a VM...the other method was taking FOREVER to download and kept freezing at about 11-14%.

I make the directories, mount the */cdroms, all in sudo, and then change to the correct directory. I run the ./step1.sh and it erases cache.
it writes the file, checks all the files, but gets to INFOchecking custom ID, hangs for a while, then bam!
FAIL = (remote:42 custom ID check fail)
the phone does reboot off the bootloader, and chills on the HTC loading screen, and then sends back to bootloader, then auto-retries again.

I try to run step2, and then error:device not found. i follow the commands on screen, but too many fails. Is this a goldcard issue?
Am I to format the SDcard, then place into my phone, remove and patch? (i'm using a previous goldcard img from the last successful goldcard)

Should i just take 3 steps backwards and start fresh?
17th June 2010, 09:06 PM |#127  
Thanks Meter: 70

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danifamous

ok, i did look at the thread, and someone has come across this before, but i have the remote: 42 custom id check fail error. I've got the newest update (the one that caused problems with wifi for unbranded orange desire). i created a new goldcard (using goldcardtool - much easier, and seems to work better; cant get the manual goldcard method...human error somewhere)
I've placed the goldcard in, and done the steps for the tinycore linux in a VM...the other method was taking FOREVER to download and kept freezing at about 11-14%.

I make the directories, mount the */cdroms, all in sudo, and then change to the correct directory. I run the ./step1.sh and it erases cache.
it writes the file, checks all the files, but gets to INFOchecking custom ID, hangs for a while, then bam!
FAIL = (remote:42 custom ID check fail)
the phone does reboot off the bootloader, and chills on the HTC loading screen, and then sends back to bootloader, then auto-retries again.

I try to run step2, and then error:device not found. i follow the commands on screen, but too many fails. Is this a goldcard issue?
Am I to format the SDcard, then place into my phone, remove and patch? (i'm using a previous goldcard img from the last successful goldcard)

Should i just take 3 steps backwards and start fresh?

If you have already tried re-creating the Gold Card, then I think you should try a different sd card and create it as a gold card using the same tool. Yes, Format the SD card to FAT32 format.
17th June 2010, 10:04 PM |#128  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Does it requires different steps for flash ROM if I want to use a custom rom instead ?
18th June 2010, 12:29 AM |#129  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
I'm new to the desire and goldcard - I have a Vodafone-branded (but w/o SIMLock - branding is only a vodafone theme for sense) HTC Desire and wondering if
I'll get the OTA updates from HTC after goldcard method?

Because my ROMversion is 1.19.161.5 like vodafone_uk's last release, but would like to have the new 1.21.405.2 from htc. Is this possible or nonsense?

Thanks in advance!
18th June 2010, 08:50 AM |#130  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
I unlocked my Desire today using benko's guide. it was smooth and easy. Thank you for this great walkthrough!
18th June 2010, 02:16 PM |#131  
Flag Den Haag

More
Hi All,
I have read the Goldcard instructions, but would like to make sure as a noob.
I now have 4 GB stock MicroSD that's been delivered with the phone, preformatted and preinstalled with some programs such as HTC Synch.
Can I just use it and make a Goldcard without formatting, not even taking it out from the phone?
Would I loose any data or end up with corrupted data if I do that?
I would like to have my Goldcard always in the phone for future OTA updates (have a branded T-Mobile NL desire).
Many thanks..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
orange uk htc desire, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)