[Root] Junsun Android 5.1 Rear View Mirror (A930/A931) Tutorial

Search This thread

iamrance.asa

Hello all XDA Developers and site visitors, ;)

I recently picked up a Junsun A931 Rear View Mirror on AliExpress and didn't see any forums on it. So, I decided to write my own about how I managed to gain root and install Magisk. Links to all the files will be included.
This works for Junsun's A930/A931 with Android 5.1. The process will probably work for other Rear view Mirrors with MTK chips, you will need to have access to the boot.img and scatter file for your device.

**Disclaimer: Proceed at your own risk! Although this worked for me without issues, there is always a chance of bricking your devices/making your device unusable. I am not responsible for your device(s).

Instructions:
1. Install MTK Drivers provided.
**I only have the ones for Windows. Mac/Linux, I couldn't find any MTK drivers for you.
**If you have trouble installing drivers, try turning off "signed drivers" in Windows Recovery.

2. Attach device to computer via USB cable.

3. If computer doesn't recognize device when it's fully booted:
-Go to "Set Up"
-Slide over to "Other" tab
-Scroll down to "Version"
-Click on "Version" until it brings up a menu (Same principle as Developer Mode, except it pop's up a menu)
-Click on "USB Host"
-Select "USB Device" (the one that has "adb" in the description)
**If this doesn't work, then try switching USB ports on your computer. It only ever works on my USB 3.0 ports.

4. Install Kingoroot on PC.

5. Launch Kingoroot and let it recognize your device, then click "Root."
** This is only a temporary root. It will reset every time you shutdown/restart. If that's what you want, stop here. Otherwise, continue on.

PERMANENT ROOT:

6. Open your choice of ADB on your PC. (I used Minimal ADB and Fastboot)
-Type "adb devices" to see if your devices is recognized and listed.
-Type "adb install [location of magisk.apk on computer]"
**replace "[location of magisk.apk on computer]" with location of magisk.apk (provided in RootPack.zip). This can be done by just dragging the file into adb or you can type the address from Windows Explorer.
-Type "adb push [location of boot.img for device] /sdcard/download"
**replace "[location of boot.img for device]" with location of boot.img for YOUR DEVICE. USING A BOOT.IMG FOR A DIFFERENT DEVICE WILL MOST LIKELY RESULT IN YOUR DEVICE BEING BRICKED!!! That being said, I have provided the software for Junsun A930/A931 for Android 5.1. If you have a different device, you will need the boot.img for it.
-Type "adb install [location of file explorer apk]" or install an file explorer from the Playstore, etc.
**replace "[location of file explorer apk]" with file explorer of your choice. I used ES Explorer.

7. Now open Magisk on the Rear View Mirror. (Make sure you're either connected to WiFi or Data)
**Be sure to grant it SuperUser Permission from Kingo SuperUser.
- Click "Install" next to "Magisk is not installed"
- Click "Install" on propt that pops up
- Choose "Select and patch a file" option.
- Scroll down and click on Es Explorer (or the file explorer you chose)
- Now go into the "download" folder and click the "boot.img"
- Click the option "File way"
**The "Normal Android Way" option kept failing for me.
- Let this complete.

8. Go back into ADB on the PC
- Type 'adb pull "sdcard/download/magisk_patched.img" C:/Downloads'
**You can replace "C:/Downloads" with whatever location you want to pull the file to on your computer.

9. Launch SP Flash Tool on your PC (provided in RootPack.zip)
-Load Scatter File by clicking the "Scatter-loading" button next to "Scatter-loading File" in the "Download" tab.
**This can be found in the firmware that I've provided, IF you have the Junsun A930/A931. If you have a different device, load the scatter file for it, instead.
-Now unclick all the boxes.
-Now click the box for "location" on the "boot" aisle.
-Select the "magisk_patched.img" that we just made from C:/Downloads or wherever you saved yours. Click "Open."
-It should have now have put the location of your "magisk_patched.img" file in the "location" box and the box next to the "boot" aisle should now be selected again (If not, make sure it is. Also, that it is the only one selected)
-Now click on the "Download" button (with the Green Arrow) at the top.
-Hold the home button the Rear View Mirror and click "Restart" (be sure to keep the mirror connect to the computer via USB)
-Now let the bar at the bottom finish.
-When it's done, there will be a pop-up that says "Download OK"
-Your device will restart

10. In your Mirror, launch Magisk Manager.
-Congratulations! The Magisk Installed option should now be green and you should have permaroot! Enjoy!
**You can now uninstall Kingo SuperUser.

Links:
Root Pack: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11poc-Pr30J_aPmhVJktuqZx1H9fkX371
Firmware: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19zUz_piQ6aiO_uGCQTmKpC9ErAR5-4xZ

A BIG THANK YOU TO THE DEVELOPERS AT MAGISK, KINGOROOT, MINIMAL ADB AND FASTBOOT, MTK DRIVERS, SP FLASH TOOL, XDA, AND EVERYONE ElSE WHO ATTRIBUTED TO THIS THROUGH DEVELOPMENT OF PROGRAMS USED! IF THIS WAS HELPFUL, BE SURE TO THANK ALL OF THEM!

Last edited:

otan032

May 19, 2019
locale?

Thanks
seeing the A930P mt6735 root here, reboot after root language becomes us and timezone becomes China
I think I'm back to the default, but if you change the language, time zone to Japan and then restart it, it will go back to the default again 

Do you need to change settings with build props etc?

iamrance.asa

Thanks
seeing the A930P mt6735 root here, reboot after root language becomes us and timezone becomes China
I think I'm back to the default, but if you change the language, time zone to Japan and then restart it, it will go back to the default again

Do you need to change settings with build props etc?
Hmm.. could you give me some more information? Did you install Magisk or just use the temporary root with KingoRoot?

You could probably edit the build.prop to get the correct results by changing the "en" to "jp" for Japanese (or the whatever region). However, I'm not sure why yours is resetting to default after reboot? Mine always retains the settings after restarting. So if you could give me a little more information, I'll see if I can figure out what's the problem.

Last edited:

rochbaz

Jun 27, 2010
Great write up! Thank you.

I ended up picking a diff model Junsun /w 2gb RAM and am having issues with the USB port:
aliexpress : /item/32844242296.html

It won't recognize any USB devices, so assuming the drivers are missing or it's disabled permanently somehow. This unit is not powered thru USB port, there are separate 12v +/- to hardwire in. I've tried multiple USB cables as well.

I tried USB sticks for storage, but my actual intent is to hook up a USB DAB+ antenna like I'm using on another vehicle's Android
HeadUnit:
aliexpress: item/33003465623.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5ad74c4dUcy6j9

I just need basic USB drivers and 5V output on the USB port, any ideas on how to get this working or add drivers onto the existing ROM etc.?

Thanks!

rochbaz

Jun 27, 2010

I recently picked up a Junsun A931 Rear View Mirror on AliExpress and didn't see any forums on it. So, I decided to write my own about how I managed to gain root and install Magisk. Links to all the files will be included.
This works for Junsun's A930/A931 with Android 5.1. The process will probably work for other Rear view Mirrors with MTK chips, you will need to have access to the boot.img and scatter file for your device.

**Disclaimer: Proceed at your own risk! Although this worked for me without issues, there is always a chance of bricking your devices/making your device unusable. I am not responsible for your device(s).

Instructions:
**I only have the ones for Windows. Mac/Linux, I couldn't find any MTK drivers for you.
**If you have trouble installing drivers, try turning off "signed drivers" in Windows Recovery.

-Go to "Set Up"
-Click on "Version" until it brings up a menu (Same principle as Developer Mode, except it pop's up a menu)
-Click on "USB Host"
**If this doesn't work, then try switching USB ports on your computer. It only ever works on my USB 3.0 ports.

** This is only a temporary root. It will reset every time you shutdown/restart. If that's what you want, stop here. Otherwise, continue on.

PERMANENT ROOT:

**replace "[location of magisk.apk on computer]" with location of magisk.apk (provided in RootPack.zip). This can be done by just dragging the file into adb or you can type the address from Windows Explorer.
**replace "[location of boot.img for device]" with location of boot.img for YOUR DEVICE. USING A BOOT.IMG FOR A DIFFERENT DEVICE WILL MOST LIKELY RESULT IN YOUR DEVICE BEING BRICKED!!! That being said, I have provided the software for Junsun A930/A931 for Android 5.1. If you have a different device, you will need the boot.img for it.
-Type "adb install [location of file explorer apk]" or install an file explorer from the Playstore, etc.
**replace "[location of file explorer apk]" with file explorer of your choice. I used ES Explorer.

7. Now open Magisk on the Rear View Mirror. (Make sure you're either connected to WiFi or Data)
- Let this complete.

**You can replace "C:/Downloads" with whatever location you want to pull the file to on your computer.

-Load Scatter File by clicking the "Scatter-loading" button next to "Scatter-loading File" in the "Download" tab.
**This can be found in the firmware that I've provided, IF you have the Junsun A930/A931. If you have a different device, load the scatter file for it, instead.
-Select the "magisk_patched.img" that we just made from C:/Downloads or wherever you saved yours. Click "Open."
-It should have now have put the location of your "magisk_patched.img" file in the "location" box and the box next to the "boot" aisle should now be selected again (If not, make sure it is. Also, that it is the only one selected)
-Hold the home button the Rear View Mirror and click "Restart" (be sure to keep the mirror connect to the computer via USB)

-Congratulations! The Magisk Installed option should now be green and you should have permaroot! Enjoy!

Links:
**I am unable to add links due to how new my account is. For the files as of now, search "[Root] Junsun Android 5.1 Rear View Mirror A930/A931 " on YouTube and all the links are in the description. I will update here as soon as time allows.

A BIG THANK YOU TO THE DEVELOPERS AT MAGISK, KINGOROOT, MINIMAL ADB AND FASTBOOT, MTK DRIVERS, SP FLASH TOOL, XDA, AND EVERYONE ElSE WHO ATTRIBUTED TO THIS THROUGH DEVELOPMENT OF PROGRAMS USED! IF THIS WAS HELPFUL, BE SURE TO THANK ALL OF THEM!

Also, just adding more info to my post above.

I've tried contacting Junsun directly and thru AliExpress, they weren't helpful and just advised this feature isn't supported.

Apparently the USB port can be used for flashing firmware, but no other information.

iamrance.asa

Great write up! Thank you.

I ended up picking a diff model Junsun /w 2gb RAM and am having issues with the USB port:
aliexpress : /item/32844242296.html

It won't recognize any USB devices, so assuming the drivers are missing or it's disabled permanently somehow. This unit is not powered thru USB port, there are separate 12v +/- to hardwire in. I've tried multiple USB cables as well.

I tried USB sticks for storage, but my actual intent is to hook up a USB DAB+ antenna like I'm using on another vehicle's Android
HeadUnit:
aliexpress: item/33003465623.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5ad74c4dUcy6j9

I just need basic USB drivers and 5V output on the USB port, any ideas on how to get this working or add drivers onto the existing ROM etc.?

Thanks!
So MTK usually doesn't recognize in Windows the traditional way. You'll need a MTK program or the ADB/Fastboot. Since I don't have this model, I have no way to test it but I would look around the settings to see if there are some extra settings menus like developer mode. In the A930, they have extra menu by clicking the "version" and tapping it multiple times (not Android's but Junsun's custom one).

The driver's that I provide here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11poc-Pr30J_aPmhVJktuqZx1H9fkX371/view?usp=drivesdk

Should work for your model since it uses the same processor. It should be able to recognize it on start but if it doesn't recognize it when it boots up then there's probably something in settings that will enable it to. It will probably be hidden since it's most likely only for developers who were working on the rom.

Last edited:

Monkandi

Mar 3, 2020
Hello I've just rooted my junsun A930 alps-1.6.91 with Dr. Fone root, it showed device as ASUS A10 but rooted no problem and so far seems permanent..

Reactions: nejcov

Monkandi

Mar 3, 2020
Hello I'm looking for upgrade or custom rom myself, if I find anything I will let you know, but we're already in the best place XDA for it to happen... Good luck

iamrance.asa

Hello I'm looking for upgrade or custom rom myself, if I find anything I will let you know, but we're already in the best place XDA for it to happen... Good luck
It depends on if anyone will spend the time to build an update rom or port for that device. If you send your device info, someone might end up working on it for you

Last edited:

iamrance.asa

I ask on Junsun Official Store and their answer: "Our equipment cannot upgrade the system. The system is fixed in the device..." So , no solution from official.
I doubt it will ever have the support for the most current Android version. Most devices like this don't receive updates from official channels and the product isn't popular enough for most developers to have it.

ajish110

Jun 15, 2020
updating fail due to power failed

I am using 4G Junsun A930 model DVR (1GB RAM) I have lost my framework "alps.l1.mp3.v2.95_t98_v2.1.10" I try to flash "full_E08_KM_4G_9.35_WJ_EN_1.6.91" but failed. any possibility to flash my dvr or get "alps.l1.mp3.v2.95_t98_v2.1.10" framework :(

iamrance.asa

I am using 4G Junsun A930 model DVR (1GB RAM) I have lost my framework "alps.l1.mp3.v2.95_t98_v2.1.10" I try to flash "full_E08_KM_4G_9.35_WJ_EN_1.6.91" but failed. any possibility to flash my dvr or get "alps.l1.mp3.v2.95_t98_v2.1.10" framework :(
Contact them and ask for the firmware for your device. They will most likely send you it. Flash it instead.

Then follow the steps I outlined but using the firmware they sent you instead. That is if you want root.

ajish110

Jun 15, 2020
I requested but they are not respond:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Orginal firmware ony we can flash in mtk mt6753 chipset? No other solution? I try miracle tool it shows mt 6753 then try to read boot8 after tool auto shutdown

iamrance.asa

Do you have a picture of the back of your device?

I don't know of any other tools/methods. There's some other programs for MTK development but they won't be much help in this case. You'll need to get the stock firmware back before anything. There's no programs to find suitable software nor is there a cross-reference. There is also no custom roms for these devices. Thus, why root and Magisk integration is such a positive.

ajish110

Jun 15, 2020
drive.google.com/file/d/1Q9v9S_F3OXGp5h-ekh_yAdtJAk246ukY/view?usp=drivesdk

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

drive.google.com/file/d/1Q0Jsw5QbNm2NRsE9vPAr1nXd8_7s_dja/view?usp=drivesdk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Instructions:

-Go to "Set Up"
    -Click on "USB Host"

PERMANENT ROOT:

- Let this complete.

Links:
    Root Pack: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11poc-Pr30J_aPmhVJktuqZx1H9fkX371
    Firmware: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19zUz_piQ6aiO_uGCQTmKpC9ErAR5-4xZ

Hello I've just rooted my junsun A930 alps-1.6.91 with Dr. Fone root, it showed device as ASUS A10 but rooted no problem and so far seems permanent..
    I only have the files that I provided. I will see if I can get ahold of the file requested but no promises