Samsung XCover3 Development Thread [4.4.4/5.1.1/6.0.1] [Root, TWRP, Mods and ROMS]

What do you want next for the xCover3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Matt07211

Jan 10, 2015
Preface: I'm currently using this device and really like it, and as you all may have realised, that this device is considered as a low activity device on XDA, and no developers that I know of have taken a crack at this phone. This thread is to consolidate all information pertaining to the device.
If some area are empty, they will have more content in the future as we progress with this awesome device.

Feel free to post any mods that have worked (preferably in systemless mode)

Table of Contents:
Post 1) Rooting, TWRP and useful Links
Post 2) Info for Developers
Post 3) Roms & Mods
Post 4) Reserved

Useful Links:
My Github (Matt07211) containing kernel source code, to keep with the GPL licenses.
Samsung Kernel Source Code 4.4.4/5.1.1 and 6.0.1
Firmware Samsung xCover 3 and Samsung xCover 3 Value Edition
TWRP for Samsung xCover3 (Kit Kat)
TWRP for Samsung xCover3 Value Edition Credits: @Heledir for the link
SuperSU

Prerequisites:
ADB Installed
USB Debugging Enabled
Samsung USB Drivers Installed
Samsung ODIN (Preferably Odin3_v3.10.7 or above)
A Brain that can use common sense, or Google

Disclaimer:
Anything you do with your own phone is done at your own risk. Don't complain if you accidentally brick your phone. Fix it by using Google, flash back stock firmware or post on XDA for help.
Knox will probably be voided, and so will your warranty.
We cannot say what works for us, may or may not work for you.
Good luck :)

Using ODIN:
1) Enable USB Debugging, and OEM Unlock (If available), these can be reached from the developer menu. The develpoer menu can be activated by taping "Build Number" 7 times in the about section.
Don't disable OEM Unlock (Ever) once modifing your phone, because FRP (Factoy Reset Protection) will be activated, and then you will be forced into reinstalling stock firmware, aalnd losing all your data in the process.
2) Turn phone off, boot into download mode (Power + Volume Down + Home) and then press Volume Up to use download mode when greeted with a yellow warning.
3) Launch ODIN, and plug phone into Computer. You should see some text like this "ID:COM" in blue.
4) Click the AP button (If it says PDA then you have an older version of ODIN, and are recommended to use a newer version) and Select the file that will be flashed. E.g. TWRP or a Boot.img. Making sure the only options ticked are "F.Reset Time" and "Auto-Reboot". If you are flashing a recovery (E.g. TWRP) then make sure "Auto-Reboot" is unticked, and when ODIN says successful flash then you'll have to then reboot the phone your self(Either by holding any combination of Volume Keys (Any one) + Power + Home or Removing the Battery and Placing back in) and reboot straight into recovery (at least once, else the stock recovery will replace TWRP on a normal boot bu a script called "install-recovery.sh").
5) If "Auto-Reboot is ticked, then the phone will automatically reboot once flashing has been completed.

Root:

SM-G388f:
KitKat:
1) Enable USB Debugging
2) Download the Newest TWRP from the above TWRP Link (the one marked with KitKat), making sure you download the file with the .img.tar extension.
3) Download the Newest SuperSu and place on the internal phone memory.
4) Flash the downloaded TWRP file, make sure "Auto-Reboot" is unticked (Refer to "Using ODIN" if needed). Click Start
5) Once flashed, reboot into recovery (Power + Volume Up + Home) straight away and Flash SuperSu.zip via the Flash Zip section.
Congrats you got root on KitKat

Lollipop:
Installation:
1) Make sure you have the prerequisites installed, and "xcover3-lollipop-root.zip"
unzipped. Then type
Code:
adb devices
to make sure adb recognises the phone and that its authorized.

2) Type (or copy) exaclty as below. *Please be paitent, as the first command
takes about 20 seconds to complete.
Code:
adb push su.img /data/local/tmp
adb install Superuser.apk
3) Once thats completed, turn off the device and then boot into download
mode (Volume Down + Home + Power).

4) Open the ODIN program, click "AP" then navigate to the "boot.tar.md5"
file that is in the "xcover3-lollipop-root: folder, then click open/okay.
Click start to flash.

5) The phone should auto-reboot. Once its fully booted, reboot once more
(perferabbly twice), this is to allow the script placed in the ramdisk to
move the su.img to /data.

6) Profit? Yay you've now got root. You can go and test it out by downloading
terminal emulator and typing "su", you then should be prompted to grant root
permissions to the app. Once granted, the "$" symbol will change to "#" to
signify root.

Thanks to:
@akuhak Thanks for build the custom tools necessary to modify the boot.img

@proguru Thanks for compiling a custom kernel for me, (for testing purposes) allowing me to test various things.

@kniederberger Thanks for providing the boot.img and su.img from the Value edition of the phone, allowing me to base my work around what was done on the value editon.

SM-G389f:
Marshmallow:
*Verified by @Heledir and @kniederberger

A user has uploaded a YouTube video HERE in case anyone wants a video tutorial.

1) Enable "OEM UNLOCK" and "USB Debugging" in developer settings (This can be found by tapping build number 7 times, then developer mode will be activated) then procedded to Flash TWRP.
2) Flash the Value Edition version of TWRP, Link at the top of this thread, making sure it has ".img.tar" extension (Refer to "Using ODIN" if needed).
3) Flash SuperSu.zip inside of TWRP via the Flash Zip section

Update to Newer Firmware while rooted:
Note: You'll lose root (re-root via relevant method) and modifications done to /system, but you're Apps and Data (/data and internal storage) will remain untouched.
0)Although you won't lose any apps/data, it's always recommended to make a backup. Perferrable a Nandroid backup or the backup of apps and data via the means of Titanium Backup and such.
1) Download Newest firmware matching the phones region and carrier (basically if the phone is from one country, dont download the firmware intended for a different country. Links at top of OP/Thread.
2) Out phone into download more, launch Odin and Flash the firmware package Downloaded. (Refer to the Using Odin section as needed.)
3) Give it some time for the inital reboot, and allow it to get setup and booted.
Optional) Re-root via relevant methods.

Un-root Samsung XCover 3 Devices:
1) Click un-root from SuperSu APP
*5.1.1 and 6.0.1: Flash Stock boot.img (Found in stock firmware) (Will post a Link for stock boot.tar.md5 soon, or read on in the next post to figure out how to create your own boot.tar.md5 file)

TWRP:
KitKat: Working
Lollipop: Not Working (I'm looking into it) The is a hacked together version of TWRP HERE, in case people want to flash files. I wouldn't recommend it for anything else other then flashing, as i would perfer to build a proper working TWRP for lollipop.
Note: You'll have to hold, Volume Up + Home + Power buttons straightafter flashing from Odin, keep hold of the key combo untill you see the TWRP logo (2 reboots).
Marshmallow: Working

Flash Stock Firmware:
1) Download the stock firmware from above links, making sure the version and region matches your phone
2) As with the other steps, boot into download mode and connect it to Odin, click the AP button and click on the stock firmware. Then Click Start. (Refer to "Using ODIN" if needed)
3) Give it some time after flashing (Max 10mins) to boot and setup for the first time, if it doesn't after a long time, re-flash the stock firmware again.

FAQ:
- Where is a ROM/Custom Kernel/ TWRP(for lollipop) for our devices? I currently can't provide/make these due to internet limitations, and no access to a 64 bit computer(of course these may change for me in the future). Feel free to build and provide these, and they can get linked to one of the opening pots for easy access.
- What is this thread? It aims to bring all the current work being done on this device into a single thread, so its easily accessible for everyone
- XYZ App doesn't detect root (systemless root)? These apps haven't been updated to work with systemless root, and therefor require SuperSu compatibility mode to be enabled to work with systemless root. Refer to the Troubleshooting section below to fix.
- My Device is sluggish/slow at each boot, how can I fix this? I have noticed that certain apps when used, E.g. CF.Lumen, Livebootetc. require patching the sepolicy at each boot, and this is a memory intensive task. This may not be the only cause for sluggishness, other things can include alot of apps checking for notifcations by pinging their servers, or alot of apps auto starting at boot. There are two different ways about fixing this, one, uninstall offending apps (or disbale their automatic launch), or two, live with it, just wait a couple of minutes after booting before unlocking and using the phone, becuse by then their tasks should be done and android should have cleared up some RAM.
- I keeping getting notifications that my device is unsafe/had unautorized actions have taken place, how to stop this notification/warning? Refer to the Troubleshooting section below to fix.

Troubleshooting:
- XYZ App doesn't detect root (systemless root):
For Value Edition (Android 6.0.1):
1) Type "(or paste)
Code:
echo "BINDSYSTEMXBIN=TRUE" >> /data/.supersu[/CODE
2) Reflash the latest SuperSu.zip via TWRP][/INDENT]
[INDENT][B]For the Normal/Original xCover 3[/B] [I](Android 5.1.1., using my root method)[/I]:
Note: This fix is for the root developed by me, once/if we get a working TWRP for lollipop, then the above instructions should suffice. These 2 scripts creates and mounts a folder to xbin, allowing for apps that check for system root to work properly with systemless. Also daemonsu should mount the folder at boot automatically, but I was having problems with it, so that's why I have a second script to automatically mount the needed folder. Now to the instructions :)
1) Download the "systemless-compatability-fix-lollipop.tar.gz" onto the device and unzip it
2) Using a file explorer that works with systemless root, E.g. Solid Explorer, Copy and paste the 2 files inside the "/su/su.d" directory, making sure it's permissions is "0700" or "700", if the permissions are incorrect you can use the file explorer or terminal emulator and "chmod 0700" on both of the files, Refer to both of the files below for reference. 

[img]http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3948945&d=1480154633[/img] 

[img]http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3948946&d=1480154633[/img][/INDENT]
Now all root apps should work  (I'm loooking at you Secure Settings and ES File Explorer Pro)
- I keeping getting notifications that my device is unsafe/had unauthorized actions have taken place, how to stop this notification/warning:
I haven't formmaly looked into the cause of this problem as of yet, but some users reported that disabling/removing "SecurityLogAgent" and/or "Smart Manager" Fixs the problem. This can be achieved using Titanium Backup (or similar apps).

[I][B]Planned Work:[/B][/I]
[HIDE]
- Do the next post write up on how to modify the boot.img (or other files) of the devices.
- Get working TWRP on Lollipop
- Get Magisk v9 working
- Look it what is need to flash MM from the xCover 3 Value Edition devices onto the Normal xCover 3 Most users have. (Might be difficult, as they have different hardware)
- Get some ROM creators onto this device [/HIDE]

Anything else?

Attachments

• xcover3-lollipop-root.zip
    11.4 MB · Views: 7,511
  • systemless-compatability-fix-lollipop.tar.gz
    290 bytes · Views: 3,759
  • Screenshot_2016-11-26-21-01-40.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-26-21-01-40.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 11,460
  • Screenshot_2016-11-26-21-01-43.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-26-21-01-43.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 11,222
Last edited:

Matt07211

Jan 10, 2015
Development for the xCover3

By Matt07211

This post aims to cover some relevant info for developers, aspiring developers, or tinkers that are missing a crucial piece or knowledge need for it to work on this device (xCover3). This thread will be more bias towards the Original xCover 3 running Lollipop, this just means my knowledge might be lacking in some areas due to differences in hardware (They have different chip-sets)therefor a difference in procedure. This Post assumes your using Linux and is biased towards Ubuntu, as its easiest for anyone to setup.

These post will be split up into categories, and when needed will indicate a difference in procedure between the devices.

Table of Contents:
1) General Setup (Dependices and Tools)
2) Boot and Recovery Modifications
3) System image modification (Also applicable to cache and hidden images found in firmware package)
4) Miscellaneous

Links:
- XCover3:

- XCover3 Value Edition:

- General Setup

# Installing dependices (assuming Ubuntu >=15.04).
A 64-bit Operating system is needed when compiling ROMS, Kernels or Recoverys.
The dependices used are gathered from Android Establishing a Build Enviromentpage and Android Image Repack tools thread.
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl zlib1g-dev gcc-multilib g++-multilib libc6-dev libncurses5-dev x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev lib32z-dev ccache libgl1-mesa-dev libxml2-utils xsltproc unzip openssl libsdl-dev libesd0-dev valgrind libreadline6-dev x11proto-core-dev libz-dev gawk texinfo automake libtool cvs libsdl-dev

# Create Working Directory
It is also recommended to create a working directory for when working with android, keeping everything centeralized is helpful.
Code:
cd ~
mkdir android

# Compiling Android Image Repack Tools: Android Image Repack Tools is a kit of utilites for unpack/repack of android ext4 and boot images(Useful for working with android).
Refer to the thread linked above on different examples/instructions on using the binary files.

Note: I've provdided a copy of the precompiled binary files, compiled agianst android-5.1.1 branch on a 32-bit machine (meaning compatabile with 64/32 bit machines).

For Marshmallow:
Code:
cd ~/android
git clone https://github.com/ASdev/android_img_repack_tools
cd android_img_repack_tools
git checkout android-6.0.1
chmod +x configure
./configure
make
This creates the directory, downloads the source code, and creates the binary files.

For Lollipop (@AkuHaks version, extra tools included for the SM-G388F):
Code:
cd ~/android
git clone https://github.com/AkuHAK/android_img_repack_tools
cd android_img_repack_tools
chmod +x configure
./configure
make

# mkbootimg_tools, from xiaolu (Use for Value edition)
Code:
cd ~/android
git clone https://github.com/xiaolu/mkbootimg_tools

- Boot and Recovery Modifications

# Unpack boot and recovery
For Marshmallow:
Code:
cd ~/android/mkbootimg_tools
mkdir boot
./mkboot boot.img boot
usage: mkboot
unpack boot.img & decompress ramdisk:

mkboot [output dir]
[/INDENT]
Example output:
[CODE]
dt.img
img_info
kernel
ramdisk
ramdisk.cpio.gz
[/CODE]

For [B]Lollipop[/B]:
[CODE]
cd ~/android/android_img_repack_tools
mkdir boot
./pxa1088-unpackbootimg -i boot.img -o boot -p 2048
[/CODE]
Example output:
[CODE]
boot.img-base
boot.img-cmdline
boot.img-dt
boot.img-pagesize
boot.img-ramdisk.gz
boot.img-ramdisk_offset
boot.img-second
boot.img-second_offset
boot.img-signature
boot.img-tags_offset
boot.img-uImage
boot.img-unknown
[/CODE]

# Repack boot and recovery
For [B]Marshmallow[/B][I](Example, substitute names as necessary)[/I]:
[B]Note:[/B] I have yet to try a repacked boot.img on a Value Edition Variant
[CODE]
cd ~/android/mkbootimg_tools
./mkboot boot boot-new.img
[/CODE]
usage: mkboot
Use the unpacked directory repack boot.img(img_info):[INDENT]
mkboot [unpacked dir] [newbootfile]
[/INDENT]

For [B]Lollipop[/B][I](Example, substitute names as necessary)[/I]:
[CODE]
./pxa1088-mkbootimg --kernel boot.img-uImage --ramdisk ramdisk-custom-supersu.cpio.gz --dt boot.img-dt --signature boot.img-signature --unknown 0x3000000 -o ../boot-supersu.img
[/CODE]
usage: mkbootimg [INDENT]
--kernel <filename>
[ --ramdisk <filename> ]
[ --second <2ndbootloader-filename> ]
[ --cmdline <kernel-commandline> ]
[ --board <boardname> ]
[ --base <address> ]
[ --pagesize <pagesize> ]
[ --dt <filename> ]
[ --ramdisk_offset <address> ]
[ --second_offset <address> ]
[ --tags_offset <address> ]
[ --id ]
[ --signature <filename> ]
-o|--output <filename>
[/INDENT]

# Ramdisk Unpack/Repack

Unpack
[CODE]
mkdir ramdisk
cd ramdisk
gunzip -c ../ramdisk.cpio.gz | cpio -i
[/CODE]

Repack
For [B]Marshmallow[/B]:
[B]Note:[/B] I have yet to repack the Value-edition/Marshmallow ramdisk so cannot verify it works (unlike lollipop), so if any errors please contact me. Feel free to try and unpack/repack the Value editon ramdisk/boot.img with lollipop instructions, if below doesn't work.
[CODE]
find . | cpio -o -H -R 0.0 newc | gzip > ../ramdisk-new.cpio.gz
[/CODE]

For [B]Lollipop[/B]:
[CODE]
./mkbootfs ramdisk-directory-name | ./minigzip > ramdisk-new.cpio.gz
[/CODE]

# Compile Kernel
Assumes kernel source is like "~/android/kernel" adapt paths as necessary.

For [B]Marshmallow[/B]:
[CODE]
cd ~/android
git clone https://android.googlesource.com/platform/prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.9
export CROSS_COMPILE=~/android/arm-linux-androideabi-4.9/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-
cd kernel
make ARCH=arm xcover3velte_eur_defconfig
# You can run "make menuconfig" now if you want to customize the config file. E.g. Adding driver support, enable other features etc.
make ARCH=arm -j<number-of-cpus>
# E.g. "make ARCH=arm -j4"
[/CODE]
[B]Note:[/B] Replace the "<number-of-cpus>" in "-j<number-of-cpus>" with the number of processors you have plus one. For example if you have 4 cores then enter 5. If your getting errors then rebuild it with "-j1" then scroll up till you found the source of the error.
If the compile succeded the you should see "kernel: arch/arm/boot/zImage is ready"

For [B]Lollipop[/B]:
[CODE]
cd ~/android
git clone https://android.googlesource.com/platform/prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/aarch64/aarch64-linux-android-4.8
export CROSS_COMPILE=~/android/aarch64-linux-android-4.8/bin/aarch64-linux-android-
cd kernel
make ARCH=arm64 pxa1908_xcover3lte_eur_defconfig
# You can run "make menuconfig" now if you want to customize the config file. E.g. Adding driver support, enable other features etc.
make ARCH=arm64 -j<number-of-cpus>
# E.g. "make ARCH=arm64 -j4"
[/CODE]
[B]Note:[/B] Replace the "<number-of-cpus>" in "-j<number-of-cpus>" with the number of processors you have plus one. For example if you have 4 cores then enter 5. If your getting errors then rebuild it with "-j1" then scroll up till you found the source of the error.
If the compile succeded the you should see "kernel: arch/arm64/boot/Image.gz is ready"

# Package Kernel into uImage (SM-G388F ONLY)
[CODE]
mkimage -A arm64 -O linux -T kernel -C gzip -a 01000000 -e 01000000 -d Image.gz -n "pxa1928dkb linux" "boot.img-uImage.new"
[/CODE]

# Generate kernel Specific device tree table (From Kernel Sources, Post-Compile)
[B]NOTE:[/B] This shouldn't need to be done as stock dt.img is the same, so use that. This is only here for educational purposes.
This assumes ~/android/kernel/ is you kernel source code directory. Substite paths as neccessary

For [B]Marshmallow[/B]:
Place either dtbTool or dtbToolCM (Depending on what your using), into ~/android/kernel/scripts and run the binary files from there.
If unable to create use the below binarys then try the lollipop instructions.
dtbTool
[CODE]
cp ~/android/mkbootimg_tools/dtbTool ~/android/kernel/scripts
cd ~/android/kernel
scripts/dtbTool -s 2048 -o arch/arm/boot/dt.img -p scripts/dtc/ arch/arm/boot/
[/CODE]
usage: DTB combiner:
Output file must be specified
dtbTool [options] -o <output file> <input DTB path>
options:
--output-file/-o output file
--dtc-path/-p path to dtc
--page-size/-s page size in bytes
--verbose/-v verbose
--help/-h this help screen

OR

dtbToolCM (support dt-tag & dtb v2/3)
[CODE]
cp ~/android/mkbootimg_tools/dtbTool ~/android/kernel/scripts
cd ~/android/kernel
scripts/dtbToolCM -s 2048 -d "htc,project-id = <" -o arch/arm/boot/dt.img -p scripts/dtc/ arch/arm/boot/
[/CODE]

For [B]Lollipop[/B]:
[CODE]
./pxa1088-dtbTool -o boot.img-dt-new -p kernel/scripts/dtc kernel/arch/arm64/boot/dts/
[/CODE]

# Repack as Flashable Odin File (Substitute name as neccessary)
tar -H ustar -c boot.img > boot.tar
md5sum -t boot.tar >> boot.tar
mv boot.tar boot.tar.md5
[/CODE]

[/HIDE]

- System image modifcation
[HIDE]
<To be ADDED>
[/HIDE]

- Miscellaneous
[HIDE]
<To be ADDED>
[/HIDE]​

Attachments

• android_img_repack_tools-xcover3-version.tar
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,259
Last edited:

Matt07211

Jan 10, 2015
Kernels:
- MyKernel - Custom power kernel series ! (SM-G389f) (Originally called: Devhost97 Kernel's ....) @Devhost97
-DiXCOVERy kernel (SM-G388f) @IXgnas

Roms:
- Flint & Steel ROM (Modded Firmware), planned realse is hopefully at beginning of next year. Follow its progress at the post HERE . Creator is @Matt07211 (Me)

Recommended Mods:
- Xposed using wanam's framework (Lollipop & Marshmallow),HERE, and use the newest XposedInstaller apk from, HERE. Flash the framework via TWRP.
- Arise Sound Mod, HERE. Flash via TWRP.

Recommend Root Apps, by Matt07211:
- Liveboot
- CF.Lumen
- Titanium Backup
- Adaway
- Kernel Auditor
- Terminal Emulator

Recommend Xposed Apps, by Matt07211
- <To be added>

Miscellaneous:
- Debloater Thread by @Sonof8Bits

Last edited:
Reactions: oneyb and Devhost97

EzChillzz

Jul 29, 2016
Problem

Preface: I'm currently using this device and really like it, and as you all may have realised, that this device is considered as a low activity device on XDA, and know developers I know of have taken a crack at this phone. This is where I come in, I like hacking into stuff for the challenge it presents, and I have set myself the challenge that is this device. This is a continuous learning experience for me and all, so I am by far not considered an expert.

If some area are empty, they will have more content in the future as we progress with this awesome device.

Table of Contents:
Post 1) Root and TWRP
Post 2) Mods (Mostly Systemless versions)
Post 3) Roms
Post 4) --Reserved for future use--

Useful Links:
My Github (Matt07211) to keep with the GPL licences I will upload evrything onto my github (Also its a shameless plug ;) )
My Github Pages Blog for guide on how I manually applied systemless update to boot.img (To be linked)
TWRP
SuperSU

Prerequisites:
ADB Installed
USB Debugging Enabled
Samsung ODIN
A Brain that can use common sense or google

Disclaimer:
Anything you do with your own phone is done at your own risk. Don't complain if accidentally brick your phone, use google, flash back stock firmware or post on XDA for help.
We cannot say what works for use may work for you.

Root:
KitKat:
1) Download the Newest TWRP from the above links, making sure you download the file with the .img.tar extension
2) Download the Newest SuperSu and place on the internal phone memory
3) Turn on USB Debugging
4) Turn phone off, boot into download mode (Power + Volume Down + Home) and then press Volume Up for use when greeted with a yellow warning.
5) Launch ODIN, and plug phone into Computer. You should see some text like this "ID:COM" in green
6) Click the AP button and Select the Downloaded TWRP file, make sure "re-partition" is unticked. Click Start
7) Once flashed, reboot into recovery and Flash SuperSu.zip

Lollipop (Systemless Root) (EXPERIMENTAL, USE WITH CAUTION):
NOTE: This is currently in the experimental phase as I need users to test and verify that this works
1) Turn on USB Debugging and Download "xCover3-Lollipop-Root-Matt07211.zip" from here.
2) Turn phone off, boot into download mode (Power + Volume Down + Home) and then press Volume Up for use when greeted with a yellow warning.
5) Launch ODIN, and plug phone into Computer. You should see some text like this "ID:COM" in green
6) Click the AP button and Select the Downloaded ".tar.md5, make sure "re-partition" is unticked. Click Start
7) Once flashed, reboot the phone normally, making sure USB Debugging is turned on
8) Copy over "su.img", "Superuser.apk" and "xCover3-root.bat" (For Windows Users) or "xCover3-root.sh" (For Linux Users) into your ADB directory (E.g. android-sdk\platform-tools)
9) Open up a command prompt in the ADB Directory and type either "xCover-root.bat" for windows and for Linux run "xCover-root.sh"
10) Your Device should reboot, and you should have root. Now get an app and verify its existence
NOTE: This is EXPERIMENTAL so this might not work, or will take a few trys to get working, please post if this has worked for you.

Marshmallow:
*To Be looked into, please be patient

Un-root Lollipop and Marshmallow Devices:
2) Flash Stock Firmware or Stock boot.img (Will post a Link for stock boot.tar.md5 soon)

TWRP:
Lollipop: Not Working (I'm looking into it)
Marshmallow: Not Working (I'm looking into it)

Flash Stock Firmware:
1) Download the stock firmware from above links, making sure the version matches your phone
2) As with the other steps, boot into download mode and connect it to Odin, click the AP button and click on the stockfirmware. Then Click Start
3) Give it some time (Max 10mins) to boot and setup for the first time, if it doesn't after a long time, reflash the stockfirmware again.

Now look at the next post :)

When I click on AP in Odin and choose boot_systemless_root_matt07211.tar.md5 ,it just says md5 error binary is invalid. (tested on ODIN 3.12.3 and 3.10)

Oh sorry you said its not working nvm

Last edited:

yy1

Sep 11, 2014
When I click on AP in Odin and choose boot_systemless_root_matt07211.tar.md5 ,it just says md5 error binary is invalid. (tested on ODIN 3.12.3 and 3.10)

I tryed the root for Lollipop. Odin will no flash the tar.md5. There is one mistake by md5. If you rename the file to *.tar odin accept the file. if try to flash odin hang of with outprint analyse file. i wait on this for 10 min nothing goes happen.

I can try to flash with heimdall. for this i need the *img file

sorry for my bad english

Reactions: Matt07211

Matt07211

Jan 10, 2015

I tryed the root for Lollipop. Odin will no flash the tar.md5. There is one mistake by md5. If you rename the file to *.tar odin accept the file. if try to flash odin hang of with outprint analyse file. i wait on this for 10 min nothing goes happen.

I can try to flash with heimdall. for this i need the *img file

sorry for my bad english

Well I'm stupid ;) when I created it I was pretty tired, so I only included the md5 hash of the .tar file but not the .tar file itself as @yy1 has stated, it should be reuploaded in a couple of minutes. It should all work then, and now you have the file to flash and an md5 hash to compare it to make sure it isn't courrupt. Good luck and please report back to me of it was succesful @yy1 and @EzChillzz

Last edited:

Matt07211

Jan 10, 2015
Try to flash your boot.img. Reboot stop with KERNEL IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING (Android 5.1.1.):(

The question is does it boot up? If so then that message can be ignored, if not then I will look into it. Just flash original boot.img or firmware to go back to a useable phone. Thanks for testing

Did you get a message with both these sentences in or just the first sentence"KERNEL IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING. Custom binary blocked by FRP Lock" ???

Last edited:

yy1

Sep 11, 2014
It doesn't boot up. Black screnn with boot logo and red warning on top. i flash the original boot.img anything okay.
what means fap lock?

Matt07211

Jan 10, 2015
It doesn't boot up. Black screnn with boot logo and red warning on top. i flash the original boot.img anything okay.
what means fap lock?
Was ment to FRP not FAP, autocorrect strikes again. FRP = Factory Rest Protection.Google it if you want more info, basically another barrier to stop thieves. As I reading up on this user's are stating (in a sepolicy patch thread) that when flashing boot.img via odin their phone wouldn't boot up, but said flashing bootmimg via TWRP works.

Questions:
1) When you flash the custom boot.img, does it freeze and nothing happens? Or does it reboot automatically?

2) are you using heimdall or Odin?

Tasks:

1) Flash the boot.img via Heimdall (if you've been using odin) and report back if it was a succes.

2) if possible, if adb is running, can you pull the dmesg off the device before restoring the original boot.img as this will help in debugging this problem.

E.G. "G:\" is the hard drive plugged into my computer, adjust as necessary.

Code:
adb shell dmesg  >> G:\dmesg.txt

3) ALSO TRY, after you flash the custom boot.img can you try booting into recovery (Volume Up + Home + Power Button) and try wiping cache before trying to properly boot the phone. Maybe you could also when in recovery tell me what the log files say? @yy1

Still currently searching what is blocking the custom boot.img from booting the phone.
I really appreciate the help :)

Last edited:
Reactions: EzChillzz

yy1

Sep 11, 2014
Flash your boot.img via heimdall once again. with no reboot option. go to recovery and wipe cache. after start the phone boot anytime in recovery. flash via heimdall original boot img anyhing okay.

adb not work. there are logfiles in recovery but i don't know they way to put that from phone to pc. Sorry for that.

Matt07211

Jan 10, 2015
Flash your boot.img via heimdall once again. with no reboot option. go to recovery and wipe cache. after start the phone boot anytime in recovery. flash via heimdall original boot img anyhing okay.

adb not work. there are logfiles in recovery but i don't know they way to put that from phone to pc. Sorry for that.
I won't be able to look into it today as i have important stuff happening. Will post back later with some more info, sorry about the wait then. Thanks for the help

===================================

Can you try this, as it will greatly help in diagnosing the problem.

Flash the custom boot.img, don't boot the phone yet. Then can you run
Code:
adb start-server

In a terminal/command prompt, then turn on the phone with the adb dmesg command from the previous post already in the terminal for you to hit enter when needed.

Turn on the phone now, and hit enter to run the above command before the phone stops and reboots itself.

Thanks.

Edit 2: When devloping the boot.img, I had to use chainfires supolicy binary to patch the sepolicy in boot.img, with one of it tasks is to patch the recovery from enforcing to permissive mode.
So in an educated geuss, and with information in other forms (user reported that they are unable to flash a custom boot.img via odin but able to via TWRP), that we may be able to flash the boot.img via recovery. See instructions for testing this below.

1) Download both the 3.0.2-1 and 2.0.8-* version of twrp (.img.tar) as we should try both of them <Linked in original post>

2) Flash my custom boot.img and then the twrp files with auto reboot turned off

3) once they both flash, boot into recovery (give it 5-10 mins, if nothig happens then it didn't work)

4) if it actually worked and booted into recovery, flash the custom boot.img in TWRP and try rebooting normally

5) If it managed to get this far, then continue from my original post by tuning either the root script/bat file

Please Report how far you got in this process or if it worked.

===================================

I am currently trying different versions of my boot.img, will post once I have it working properly ;)

Last edited:

yy1

Sep 11, 2014
No way for me to give you adb log-file, because adb find no device if phone in download- or recovery-mode.

try the second way. Flash boot.img and recovery.img (TWRP) start the phone in recovery-mode. red warning on top RECOVERY IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING.
wait 5 minutes phone starts automatic in normal-mode.

Matt07211

Jan 10, 2015
No way for me to give you adb log-file, because adb find no device if phone in download- or recovery-mode.

try the second way. Flash boot.img and recovery.img (TWRP) start the phone in recovery-mode. red warning on top RECOVERY IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING.
wait 5 minutes phone starts automatic in normal-mode.

Yea thanks for that, I had been trying a bunch of combinations yesterday with none of them working. And when trying to find what blocks custom boot.img from booting up, all I come across is stuff staying to flash back stock firmware, but nothing for the reasons why.
But I have some stuff to look in to and will replie back when done (if I'm succesful or not)

These include:
- looking more into pains secure download mode and what it does
- having a go with exploiting a bug that had happend with stock recovery. Running 4.0 (we are not running this version of android) and recovery version 3e(our stock recovery version ) where you could flash updates.zip signed with testkeys instead of the manufacturers keys
- OR try getting TWRP to run on lollipop (probably have to rebuild it) this leaves us with two options in twrp. 1) Flash SuperSu and get system install (probably won't be able to unpack the boot.img) or then flash my customized boot.img for the Systemless version of root.

Either way it may be a little while before lolipop root is working.
I have important exams coming up so this project is gonna have to be out onto the backburner for about 4 weeks or so, meaning I won't be putting much effort into this for a while, but will continue it after the exams. @yy1
- '

Reactions: eilReinsaH

Matt07211

Jan 10, 2015
@yy1 I belive I have found out why the phone won't boot when using the custom boot.img

I belive it has to do with the unpacking/repacking of the ramdisk.cpio.gz file. When ever I try to boot an image with a repacked ramdisk the phone won't boot.

I know that the phone can boot custom boot.img 's as I removed the word "SEANDORID" from the original and flashed it to my phone. My phone booted up, even when the red text (KERNEL IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING) was shown at the top of my phone.

So once I got it got it booting I will post back here.

Last edited:

Matt07211

Jan 10, 2015
My previous post, was somewhat on par. What I mean by this is yes, the ramdisk was a reason why it was not boot, but not for any reasons like permissions, ownership or the like, it was in fact that when unpacking and repacking the cpio archive increase the size, and from what I have reduced from my trial and errors is when the boot.img size is changed by even one byte in size it won't boot. But you are able to modify its contents with a hex editor, E.G. Zeroing out the word SEANDROIDENFORCING at the bottom of the raw image file, would still let the phone boot fully with the text show "KERNEL is not SEANDROIDENFORCING" and it showing up as a custom binary in Download more. I belive it may be becuse of some outside security verifying the boot.img. maybe download mode (it's in secure mode, haven't looked into it yet) or some script, I am not sure. And its all most impossible to get any errors logs or dmesg via adb or otherwise, with my only way to read them is via stock recovery, which is a bit impractical and inelegant reading as it speeds past lines you want to read when trying to scroll down (if anyone knows how to pull these logs from cache without a custom recovery or root, please tell me.

Now when I try to replace the ramdisk in boot.img via hex editor the size increase and thus unable to boot. When I try to repack it with various versions of mkbootimg, including Google's python script, other bi nary compiled versions of it by various people and mkbootimg's binary modified to also with with Device Tree Files which get appended onto the boot.img. I have analysed and reverse enginered the boot.img file, and analyzed the other files included with the stock firmware downloadable from sites like sammobile, sam-firmware etc.

I will be updating one of the is original post with all the information that I have uncovered, I'm great detail and when my internet situation allows (my mobile data is running low, lol), upload the reversed enginered files of boot.img for anyone else to inspect and have a crack at creating their own custom kernel/boot.img.

TL;DR: Uploading detailed information and reverse enginered files of boot.img. Any of my custom boot.img's won't boot if the size changes at the minimum one byte from the original boot.img, but the phone can boot a custom version if the size of the file size deos not change a single byte.

Reactions: akuhak and endbored

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Preface: I'm currently using this device and really like it, and as you all may have realised, that this device is considered as a low activity device on XDA, and no developers that I know of have taken a crack at this phone. This thread is to consolidate all information pertaining to the device.

Table of Contents:
    Post 1) Rooting, TWRP and useful Links
    Post 2) Info for Developers
    Post 3) Roms & Mods
    Post 4) Reserved

Useful Links:
    My Github (Matt07211) containing kernel source code, to keep with the GPL licenses.
    TWRP for Samsung xCover3 (Kit Kat)
    TWRP for Samsung xCover3 Value Edition Credits: @Heledir for the link
    SuperSU

Prerequisites:
    ADB Installed
    USB Debugging Enabled
    Samsung ODIN (Preferably Odin3_v3.10.7 or above)
    A Brain that can use common sense, or Google

Disclaimer:
    Anything you do with your own phone is done at your own risk. Don't complain if you accidentally brick your phone. Fix it by using Google, flash back stock firmware or post on XDA for help.
    We cannot say what works for us, may or may not work for you.

Using ODIN:
    1) Enable USB Debugging, and OEM Unlock (If available), these can be reached from the developer menu. The develpoer menu can be activated by taping "Build Number" 7 times in the about section.
    Don't disable OEM Unlock (Ever) once modifing your phone, because FRP (Factoy Reset Protection) will be activated, and then you will be forced into reinstalling stock firmware, aalnd losing all your data in the process.
    2) Turn phone off, boot into download mode (Power + Volume Down + Home) and then press Volume Up to use download mode when greeted with a yellow warning.
    3) Launch ODIN, and plug phone into Computer. You should see some text like this "ID:COM" in blue.
    4) Click the AP button (If it says PDA then you have an older version of ODIN, and are recommended to use a newer version) and Select the file that will be flashed. E.g. TWRP or a Boot.img. Making sure the only options ticked are "F.Reset Time" and "Auto-Reboot". If you are flashing a recovery (E.g. TWRP) then make sure "Auto-Reboot" is unticked, and when ODIN says successful flash then you'll have to then reboot the phone your self(Either by holding any combination of Volume Keys (Any one) + Power + Home or Removing the Battery and Placing back in) and reboot straight into recovery (at least once, else the stock recovery will replace TWRP on a normal boot bu a script called "install-recovery.sh").
    5) If "Auto-Reboot is ticked, then the phone will automatically reboot once flashing has been completed.

Root:

SM-G388f:
    KitKat:
    1) Enable USB Debugging
    2) Download the Newest TWRP from the above TWRP Link (the one marked with KitKat), making sure you download the file with the .img.tar extension.
    3) Download the Newest SuperSu and place on the internal phone memory.
    4) Flash the downloaded TWRP file, make sure "Auto-Reboot" is unticked (Refer to "Using ODIN" if needed). Click Start
    5) Once flashed, reboot into recovery (Power + Volume Up + Home) straight away and Flash SuperSu.zip via the Flash Zip section.

Lollipop:
    Installation:
    1) Make sure you have the prerequisites installed, and "xcover3-lollipop-root.zip"
    unzipped. Then type
    Code:
    adb devices
    to make sure adb recognises the phone and that its authorized.

2) Type (or copy) exaclty as below. *Please be paitent, as the first command
    takes about 20 seconds to complete.
    Code:
    adb push su.img /data/local/tmp
    adb install Superuser.apk
    3) Once thats completed, turn off the device and then boot into download
    mode (Volume Down + Home + Power).

4) Open the ODIN program, click "AP" then navigate to the "boot.tar.md5"
    file that is in the "xcover3-lollipop-root: folder, then click open/okay.
    Click start to flash.

5) The phone should auto-reboot. Once its fully booted, reboot once more
    (perferabbly twice), this is to allow the script placed in the ramdisk to
    move the su.img to /data.

6) Profit? Yay you've now got root. You can go and test it out by downloading
    terminal emulator and typing "su", you then should be prompted to grant root
    permissions to the app. Once granted, the "$" symbol will change to "#" to
    signify root.

Thanks to:
    @akuhak Thanks for build the custom tools necessary to modify the boot.img

@proguru Thanks for compiling a custom kernel for me, (for testing purposes) allowing me to test various things.

@kniederberger Thanks for providing the boot.img and su.img from the Value edition of the phone, allowing me to base my work around what was done on the value editon.

SM-G389f:
    Marshmallow:
    *Verified by @Heledir and @kniederberger

A user has uploaded a YouTube video HERE in case anyone wants a video tutorial.

1) Enable "OEM UNLOCK" and "USB Debugging" in developer settings (This can be found by tapping build number 7 times, then developer mode will be activated) then procedded to Flash TWRP.
    2) Flash the Value Edition version of TWRP, Link at the top of this thread, making sure it has ".img.tar" extension (Refer to "Using ODIN" if needed).
    3) Flash SuperSu.zip inside of TWRP via the Flash Zip section

Update to Newer Firmware while rooted:
    Note: You'll lose root (re-root via relevant method) and modifications done to /system, but you're Apps and Data (/data and internal storage) will remain untouched.
    0)Although you won't lose any apps/data, it's always recommended to make a backup. Perferrable a Nandroid backup or the backup of apps and data via the means of Titanium Backup and such.
    1) Download Newest firmware matching the phones region and carrier (basically if the phone is from one country, dont download the firmware intended for a different country. Links at top of OP/Thread.
    2) Out phone into download more, launch Odin and Flash the firmware package Downloaded. (Refer to the Using Odin section as needed.)
    3) Give it some time for the inital reboot, and allow it to get setup and booted.
    Optional) Re-root via relevant methods.

Un-root Samsung XCover 3 Devices:
    *5.1.1 and 6.0.1: Flash Stock boot.img (Found in stock firmware) (Will post a Link for stock boot.tar.md5 soon, or read on in the next post to figure out how to create your own boot.tar.md5 file)

TWRP:
    Lollipop: Not Working (I'm looking into it) The is a hacked together version of TWRP HERE, in case people want to flash files. I wouldn't recommend it for anything else other then flashing, as i would perfer to build a proper working TWRP for lollipop.
    Note: You'll have to hold, Volume Up + Home + Power buttons straightafter flashing from Odin, keep hold of the key combo untill you see the TWRP logo (2 reboots).
    Marshmallow: Working

Flash Stock Firmware:
    1) Download the stock firmware from above links, making sure the version and region matches your phone
    2) As with the other steps, boot into download mode and connect it to Odin, click the AP button and click on the stock firmware. Then Click Start. (Refer to "Using ODIN" if needed)
    3) Give it some time after flashing (Max 10mins) to boot and setup for the first time, if it doesn't after a long time, re-flash the stock firmware again.

FAQ:
    - Where is a ROM/Custom Kernel/ TWRP(for lollipop) for our devices? I currently can't provide/make these due to internet limitations, and no access to a 64 bit computer(of course these may change for me in the future). Feel free to build and provide these, and they can get linked to one of the opening pots for easy access.
    - What is this thread? It aims to bring all the current work being done on this device into a single thread, so its easily accessible for everyone
    - XYZ App doesn't detect root (systemless root)? These apps haven't been updated to work with systemless root, and therefor require SuperSu compatibility mode to be enabled to work with systemless root. Refer to the Troubleshooting section below to fix.
    - My Device is sluggish/slow at each boot, how can I fix this? I have noticed that certain apps when used, E.g. CF.Lumen, Livebootetc. require patching the sepolicy at each boot, and this is a memory intensive task. This may not be the only cause for sluggishness, other things can include alot of apps checking for notifcations by pinging their servers, or alot of apps auto starting at boot. There are two different ways about fixing this, one, uninstall offending apps (or disbale their automatic launch), or two, live with it, just wait a couple of minutes after booting before unlocking and using the phone, becuse by then their tasks should be done and android should have cleared up some RAM.
    - I keeping getting notifications that my device is unsafe/had unautorized actions have taken place, how to stop this notification/warning? Refer to the Troubleshooting section below to fix.

Troubleshooting:
    - XYZ App doesn't detect root (systemless root):
    For Value Edition (Android 6.0.1):
    1) Type "(or paste)
    Code:
    echo "BINDSYSTEMXBIN=TRUE" >> /data/.supersu[/CODE
    2) Reflash the latest SuperSu.zip via TWRP][/INDENT]
    [INDENT][B]For the Normal/Original xCover 3[/B] [I](Android 5.1.1., using my root method)[/I]:
    Note: This fix is for the root developed by me, once/if we get a working TWRP for lollipop, then the above instructions should suffice. These 2 scripts creates and mounts a folder to xbin, allowing for apps that check for system root to work properly with systemless. Also daemonsu should mount the folder at boot automatically, but I was having problems with it, so that's why I have a second script to automatically mount the needed folder. Now to the instructions :)
    1) Download the "systemless-compatability-fix-lollipop.tar.gz" onto the device and unzip it
    2) Using a file explorer that works with systemless root, E.g. Solid Explorer, Copy and paste the 2 files inside the "/su/su.d" directory, making sure it's permissions is "0700" or "700", if the permissions are incorrect you can use the file explorer or terminal emulator and "chmod 0700" on both of the files, Refer to both of the files below for reference. 

[img]http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3948945&d=1480154633[/img] 

[img]http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3948946&d=1480154633[/img][/INDENT]
    Now all root apps should work  (I'm loooking at you Secure Settings and ES File Explorer Pro)
    - I keeping getting notifications that my device is unsafe/had unauthorized actions have taken place, how to stop this notification/warning:
    I haven't formmaly looked into the cause of this problem as of yet, but some users reported that disabling/removing "SecurityLogAgent" and/or "Smart Manager" Fixs the problem. This can be achieved using Titanium Backup (or similar apps).

[I][B]Planned Work:[/B][/I]
    [HIDE]
    - Do the next post write up on how to modify the boot.img (or other files) of the devices.
    - Get working TWRP on Lollipop
    - Get Magisk v9 working
    - Look it what is need to flash MM from the xCover 3 Value Edition devices onto the Normal xCover 3 Most users have. (Might be difficult, as they have different hardware)
    - Get some ROM creators onto this device [/HIDE]

Anything else?
    Ok here is working TWRP 2.8
    So now how I rooted my phone:
    0) Downloaded SuperSu zip installer and placed it into internal memory
    1) Reboot in Odin mode
    2) Install TWRP via AP button
    3) Reboot into recovery. Recovery will show red message with "Recovery is not seandroid enforcing" on boot, and will reboot twice until you see TWRP main window. Just ignore it :)
    4) Install SuperSu zip archive
    ----OFF-TOPIC----
    BTW at this point you still have not knoxed device. You can reboot phone and you still will be with knox 0x0. And BTW you can stop at this point and resume in any moment. I was at this stage for about a week until I move forward. Of course you will have no root at this moment :)
    ----/OFF-TOPIC----
    5) Reboot in odin mode
    6) Install boot.tar.md5 from xcover3-lollipop-root.zip
    7) You have root now ^^ maybe you will need to install supersu from playmarket but im not pretty sure that you need

And I want to share with you what I do with my rooted phone:
    1) installed Busybox from meefik
    2) installed XposedInstaller -> and XposedFramework of course
    3) Installed Wanam Xposed for Lollipop. Yeah its discontinued but still has many fun features.
    4) installed GoogleService Replacement. All apps are working fine except of youtube so i downloaded OG Youtube Xposed version
    5) installed LuckyPatcher and enabled function: integrate updates into /system partition.
    6) with LuckyPatcher I removed bunch of google applications that I dont need.
    7) Installed TitaniumBackup. With Titanium Backup I integrated all system application that was updated into /system
    8) Installed Kernel Adiutor and limited cpu for better battery (just for now)
    Just would like to give everyone here some early Christmas news :)

I've recently come to realize that I'm able to use Google Cloud/Microsoft Azure free trials. This will allow me to build some ROMS for the xCover3 (Normal Edition).
    So few the next week or so I'll be reading up a lot, setting up the github repository correctly (cause at the moment they are only partially up and unorganized), then around the begging of the new year I'll start commencing on ROM building.

Hopefully by then me and @Sonof8Bits can get TWRP compiled for the device (keeps throwing TW_THEME error when's itbalreadu be defined anyway, so if you got a fix Pease PM me), if we don't then that'll be the first thing to be done.

The Rom will be based of OMNI sources and be either Marshmallow or Nougat (depending on the device requirements), if anyone would like to aid in this endeavour please contact me.
    Note: I'm still planning to do the modded firmware ;)

Merry Christmas everyone and I hope you will enjoy the idea of a custom Rom dimming your way in the near future.
    Guys keep your eye on this post. This post will be edited as I prwofess in developing the modded firmware.

Modded Firmware (Progress/Features):
    - I'm going for deodex over odex. Reasons are HERE and HERE . Basically allows for easier themeing and modification. And other then a slow first few (couple) of boots, boot time will be almost the same as odex (current on the phone).
    - To be added.
    @yy1 I belive I have found out why the phone won't boot when using the custom boot.img

I belive it has to do with the unpacking/repacking of the ramdisk.cpio.gz file. When ever I try to boot an image with a repacked ramdisk the phone won't boot.

I know that the phone can boot custom boot.img 's as I removed the word "SEANDORID" from the original and flashed it to my phone. My phone booted up, even when the red text (KERNEL IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING) was shown at the top of my phone.

So once I got it got it booting I will post back here.