[Q] Video Player Problem

Search This thread

NeoDoRant

May 5, 2009
Hello there!

I just received my Archos 70 and I made some first tests. One thing was to test if 720p movies can be played without any problems.

As I wanted to start the movie, the standard video app said, that I need the Cinema Plugin from Archos which is 25€ in the store. So I decided to try RockPlayer. The video runs, but laggy. So I tried to activate Hardware Acceleration mode, which the Archos 70 has I guess. Then an error appeared in RockPlayer which says: "This acceleration method is not supported by the standard video application".

Has someone the same problem? Should I buy the cinema plugin?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
Yes you should buy the cinema plugin as the rockplayer is far away from stable. I think it doesn't even support the dsp which does the hard work in archos gen8 devices :) oh and it's only 15€, not 25€ ;)

fzelle

Mar 19, 2006
As this is posted here and on any other archos forum you should do a search before.

You need the cinema plugin if you want to play AC3 Audio or MPEG2 Video.
If you change the audio to for ex aac it plays the file, if it stays in the specs you can read on the archos page.

R3sidu3

Jan 16, 2011
New York
Ok I figure my issue is technically a video problem all other video players I've other than the one that comes with the Archos keep that little soft button bar (argh) when in fullscreen mode so my question is it possible to frankenhack the the pop up button layout from the Archos video player into some other programs video player. I saw something similar on the forum with spiderman in fullscreen no soft button buttons. I would still want the buttons just not when the video is playing.

R3sidu3

Jan 16, 2011
New York
@ chulri yeah I had already tried it yeah that with Archangel and button savior its the best solution for now I pulled the buttons entirely and button saior picks up the slack..... now if only I could do something about pop unders and pop overs while surfing the web

jch0

Mar 3, 2011
www.pps.jussieu.fr
MPEG-1/2 video and AC3 audio

Yes you should buy the cinema plugin [...] it's only 15€, not 25€ ;)

The problem is with Archos charging extra for the MPEG-1/2 and AC3 codecs, which prevents the built-in video player from playing DVD rips. (Shame on you, Archos.)

You can either buy the plugin, or use a third-party video player such as QQPlayer (which is what I use) or RockPlayer. Unfortunately, third-party players won't be able to use the Archos' hardware acceleration, which will cause high-resolution videos to lag.

--jch

macemoneta

Dec 4, 2010
NJ
www.twitter.com
The problem is with Archos charging extra for the MPEG-1/2 and AC3 codecs, which prevents the built-in video player from playing DVD rips. (Shame on you, Archos.)

You can either buy the plugin, or use a third-party video player such as QQPlayer (which is what I use) or RockPlayer. Unfortunately, third-party players won't be able to use the Archos' hardware acceleration, which will cause high-resolution videos to lag.

--jch

The reason Archos charges for the codecs is because they have to pay the license. The majority of users don't need them, so having everyone pay for a license just raises the product price. I'm personally glad they made the codecs a separate charge, because I have no use for them.

An additional option is to transcode the content, using an application like HandBrake. For a one-time setup, I just selected the iPad preset, set the output format to MKV, and saved an Archos preset with resolution matching my device. Afterwards, just select the preset and you're good to go. You can queue up many files to encode, and the encoder is multi-threaded so it exploits multiple CPUs for fast encoding.

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
@jch0 if you want to discuss about whether it's ok or not to charge for the codecs, feel free to post your oppinion in that thread.