FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Post Reply Email Thread
A number of users have been wanting to swap their menu and back softkeys... I believe it's handy for left-handed people who have smaller hands and can't reach the opposite button. So here's how you do it

1) Root phone
2) Using a root file explorer, navigate to /system/usr/keylayout.
3) Open the file Generic.kl
4) Make the following change:

LOCATE line
Code:
# key 139     MENU                         WAKE_DROPPED"
REPLACE with
Code:
# key 158     MENU                         WAKE_DROPPED"
LOCATE line
Code:
# key 158     BACK                         WAKE_DROPPED"
REPLACE with
Code:
# key 139     BACK                         WAKE_DROPPED"
Save the file Generic.kl, and reboot the phone. Your buttons are now swapped.

I have not provided an "update.zip" to do this, because lately far too many people are relying on one-click methods, and don't know how to make changes themselves, and "devs" don't document these methods for future. So please don't go making a flashable zip and posting it...
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to pulser_g2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd November 2012, 09:42 AM |#2  
kronium's Avatar
Senior Member
Ewa Beach
Thanks Meter: 82
 
More
Thank You!!!
22nd November 2012, 12:31 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag oradea
Thanks Meter: 197
 
More
WOW
Been looking for this for along time, especially coming from Gnex the back soft key was on the laft side. There is also the size of the Note2, make it easier to work with the left hand only.

Thanks, W
22nd November 2012, 05:55 PM |#4  
BigE-evo's Avatar
Member
Flag Torrance
Thanks Meter: 27
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulser_g2

A number of users have been wanting to swap their menu and back softkeys... I believe it's handy for left-handed people who have smaller hands and can't reach the opposite button. So here's how you do it

1) Root phone
2) Using a root file explorer, navigate to /system/usr/keylayout.
3) Open the file Generic.kl
4) Make the following change:

LOCATE line

Code:
# key 139     MENU                         WAKE_DROPPED"
REPLACE with
Code:
# key 158     MENU                         WAKE_DROPPED"
LOCATE line
Code:
# key 158     BACK                         WAKE_DROPPED"
REPLACE with
Code:
# key 139     BACK                         WAKE_DROPPED"
Save the file Generic.kl, and reboot the phone. Your buttons are now swapped.

I have not provided an "update.zip" to do this, because lately far too many people are relying on one-click methods, and don't know how to make changes themselves, and "devs" don't document these methods for future. So please don't go making a flashable zip and posting it...

Thank you! I was wondering if there was also a way to swap it for the on screen nav menu?

Sent from my Note 2
22nd November 2012, 07:36 PM |#5  
pulser_g2's Avatar
OP Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 11,780
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE-evo

Thank you! I was wondering if there was also a way to swap it for the on screen nav menu?

Sent from my Note 2

You mean you want on-screen navigation buttons, nexus style?
26th November 2012, 07:58 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 22
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulser_g2

You mean you want on-screen navigation buttons, nexus style?

I would love to! On-screen touch buttons for Back at the left, home in the middle and multi-tasking windows list button at the right.

If you don't mind can you please share or point me to a link where I can get this?
23rd November 2012, 04:42 AM |#7  
ScottRTL's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Surrey, BC
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulser_g2

You mean you want on-screen navigation buttons, nexus style?

I am looking for a way to make the menu button persistent and also add a search button... can anyone help with that?

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Note II on Rogers Wireless
24th November 2012, 06:30 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
More
is this right? 3 menus and one back? i don't need a second back anywhere?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to wlpywd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wlpywd Ad-Free
24th November 2012, 11:29 PM |#9  
pulser_g2's Avatar
OP Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 11,780
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlpywd

is this right? 3 menus and one back? i don't need a second back anywhere?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

Well spotted, I've fixed that. You are basically swapping the numbers of menu and back, but I had a typo in it. The version in the thread is now correct.
25th November 2012, 01:48 AM |#10  
boodies's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 351
 
More
I honestly think it's the right handed people who mostly hold their phones in their left hand. Thank you so much for this fix. I've been using button savior but this will be even better.

@Scott, if you want a customized buttons with more buttons, use button savior. You can customize size, location, number of buttons etc, here a pic. I have it setup where if i hit the trigger, the buttons will pop out and go away in 1 second. very convenient. But since I only need back button, this thread is a better way for me it seems.

@OP, Now that i have this setup, is there another line i can change to turn off the lights behind these button permanantly?

edit: nvm there was an option under display to turn those off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buttonsaviorowns.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	1508525  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes