[HOW TO] Root/update/ your Australian Xoom

Search This thread

tromboc

Dec 11, 2010
Nambour
WANT TO ROOT YOUR AUSSIE NEXT G XOOM?

Firstly, I know this is in the wrong section of the forum, but I dont have enough XDA posts to put anything in the developement section. DEAL WITH IT :)

DISCLAIMER - I am not a developer or active XDA forum poster, I am a forum reader and user. The reason for this post is a lack of information regarding AUSTRALIAN Xoom rooting and updating on XDA (correct me if im wrong). This information is gathered from multiple different sources and I DONT TAKE ANY CREDIT FOR THEIR HARD WORK, nor do I take any responsibility for their instructions. Everything here is their work, however please follow the links for a more up to date process. Therefore take this information with a grain of salt, I have, however, seen it work on 4 Xoom's so far with 100% success. These instructions assume you can use adb, fastboot, and clockworkmod and assume you know that all warranty is voided by doing any of this.

Now, for the nice bit...

Do you have an Australian Xoom with 3G and wondering what to do about Verizon, US, EURO, UK, 3G, 4G, WIFI only, etc?? you want a forum that says OZ dont you? you want to ROOT YOUR XOOM!

Firstly from what I can tell our model is very similar if not identical to the UK model in that they provide 3G (Telstra Next G for us) connection. The US models dont have sim cards and access the network differently, so some of their processes and information will not apply to us, neither will all the UK information. So to save you some time, here is a collaboration of my findings after hours of web searching and flashing, re-flashing, etc.

Step 1 - Root it

[GUIDE] XOOM 3G Euro Root Instructions + Files.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1049901

This link and all associated files work perfectly to root your OZ-Spec Xoom

Step 2 - ClockworkMod Recovery

[Recovery] ClockworkMod 3.0.2.8 Modded for Internal media [UPDATED 5/13]
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1074979

Again, this works perfectly, and gives you SD access and a really easy way to flash your OZ-Spec Xoom

Step 3 - Honeycomb 3.1 Update

Step 3

Firstly need to backup some important telstra related files

adb remount
adb pull /system/build.prop build.backup
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db-wal settings.db-wal
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db-shm settings.db-shm
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db telephony.db
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db-journal telephony.db-journal

[UPDATE][HC3.1] Wifi and 3G! Completely Flashable! No Fastboot Needed!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1074609

Follow the link to update your device. After updating, extract the attached zip to your adb.exe folder and run command prompt.

adb remount
adb pull /system/build.prop build.backup ##cant be too safe##
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
adb push settings.db-wal /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db-wal
adb push settings.db-shm /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db-shm
adb push telephony.db /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db
adb push telephony.db-journal /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db-journal
adb push build.modified /system/build.prop

This will get you 3.1 and still working on the Telstra network and thinking its australian again.

Step 4 - Tiamat Kernel

[KERNEL][AOSP][HC3.1] Tiamat Riptide Special Edition 1.4.2 [Update: 5/21]
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=978013

This is where those kickass quadrant scores come from. Follow instructions per usual for OZ-Spec. Dont forget to flash the new bootloader first.

tada!... a rooted Aussie Xoom running HC3.1 AND Tiamat kernel AND ClockworkMod AND 3G

Thankyou to the originators of the instructions found here.

Attachments

• build.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:

mdevlin

Jun 27, 2008
Telstra 3g files

Thanksh for this post it is of grea help. It has allow me to bring my xoom bck from "brick land". The only bit I cant follow is how to get the telstra 3g specific files you mention. n Step 3.1 I cant find anything about extractingfiles

watt4

Aug 13, 2009
which bootloader did you use for the Tiamat kernel?

cheers

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App

mdevlin

Jun 27, 2008
Help need ..... I am wondering if anyone out there are able to send me the files to enable 3g on Telstra as described in this post.
My situation is a follows. I have an Australian Telstra xoom and tried one of the 1 click root programs. After much pain and research I now realise 2 things. 1/ this completely stuffed by device, it now hangs at the logo on boot. 2/ even if it did work it is for US networks only. I have worked my way through the posts and have managed to recover the device by fastbooting with the euro boot.img described in this post. Problem is no 3g. This post provides a description of how to extract the Telstra 3g files for the device before it gets trashed. I did not do this. So I am assuming I now need to source these files from someone who has a working Telstra xoom.

Can anyone out these assist......

watt4

Aug 13, 2009
These are the files I pushed to my Xoom to get it working. Hopefully it helps.

Cheers

Attachments

• nextg.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 281

mdevlin

Jun 27, 2008
Yahoooooooooo... these files worked a treat, I am now back on 3g. One of the files settings.db-wal has a size of 0 bytes is that right or should it have something in it.

The only problem I have now is wifii is not working... when I look at wifi in settings it says "error" ... any ideas

watt4

Aug 13, 2009
Glad that helped.

That file was 0 bytes on mine as well. Don't know why the wireless has failed but someone may be able to help otherwise you may need to push the wireless driver/config file back to the tablet. I think the wireless driver was in one of the links at the start of this thread.

Cheers

Last edited:

samruss3ll

May 26, 2011
can anybody link me to these files "telephony.db" (adb push telephony.db /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db)

and "telephony.db-journal" (adb push telephony.db-journal /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db-journal)

i assume this is why mine is not working (stuck at the HC animation loop)

mdevlin

Jun 27, 2008
Thank you to all that help me !! My xoom is back to working now have 3g and wifi working fine and I now have a root applied:). For anyone that wants a bit of a smoother path (I am sure I will not be the last noob to do this) the attached ZIP has all the required files to root your device or fix it if you have stuffed it up (ie applied a US 1 click root like I did). The telstra 3g files are included.

Follow the intructions I did in the link below and the the final set of commands to push the telstra comms files back. Hope this reduces the pain for someone else !!

After completing instructions in the link do the following

adb remount
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
adb push settings.db-wal /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db-wal (no bites sent)
adb push settings.db-shm /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db-shm
adb push build.prop /system/build.prop

Reactions: astol

watt4

Aug 13, 2009
Thank you to all that help me !! My xoom is back to working now have 3g and wifi working fine and I now have a root applied:). For anyone that wants a bit of a smoother path (I am sure I will not be the last noob to do this) the attached ZIP has all the required files to root your device or fix it if you have stuffed it up (ie applied a US 1 click root like I did). The telstra 3g files are included.

Follow the intructions I did in the link below and the the final set of commands to push the telstra comms files back. Hope this reduces the pain for someone else !!

After completing instructions in the link do the following

adb remount
adb push settings.db-wal /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db-wal (no bites sent)
adb push build.prop /system/build.prop
Glad you got it sorted

adamtuba

Dec 4, 2010
Brisbane
hmmmm....

Not sure what's going on here. It was all working fine (well, mostly), just the odd 3g dropout after coming off wifi. I tried flashing the telephony files from the euro update thread hoping to fix that, and then no 3g at all. I then thought, what if I pushed the build.prop from watt4's post (I was using just the frankenrom one from euro post). Then , bam. Bootloop. I successfully got into recovery and flashed 3.1 again and it will work, but every time I flash the build.prop from here I get a bootloop.

any ideas anyone?

abbaskip

Oct 6, 2010
I've done all of the steps, and everything was working as expected, but after I restarted, it was showing the honeycomb loads screen for ages and ages (stuck?)

Any ideas? It gets past the M Dual Core screen, but then just loops the boot animation.

pdos00

Aug 26, 2008
I've done all of the steps and I can boot into Honeycomb 3.1, but 3G isn't working. It gets stuck at "Searching for service..." while trying to activate.

I'm using the default build.prop, but I tried the frankenrom and my own (using the steps in the post), and nothing works.

Thoughts?

Edit: Fixed it. I reloaded the settings and telephony dbs after pushing the boot.prop and its now found Telstra and successfully using 3G!

Last edited:

abbaskip

Oct 6, 2010
I've done all of the steps, and everything was working as expected, but after I restarted, it was showing the honeycomb loads screen for ages and ages (stuck?)

Any ideas? It gets past the M Dual Core screen, but then just loops the boot animation.

Ok, So I fixed this it seems. It was that bat Build prop causing the boot loop.

However, now it's happening again. I made the mistake of trying a different framework file (which was meant to force the browser into desktop all the time). And it gave me bootloop. So I reflashed 3.1 etc, and tried again. It loaded (without Telstra service again), so again I repushed the frankenrom build prop (which had worked previously) and the connectivity settings. But again bootloop...I can't get my tab to be alive and have telstra connectivity :(

EDIT: Thought after reflashing I may have been missing the Wipe data/factory reset step, but did the whole process again, and still no luck!

It's so strange! I can get into the OS without Telstra connection, but once I push those settings it boot loops?! Is there anything else I can try?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WANT TO ROOT YOUR AUSSIE NEXT G XOOM?

Firstly, I know this is in the wrong section of the forum, but I dont have enough XDA posts to put anything in the developement section. DEAL WITH IT :)

DISCLAIMER - I am not a developer or active XDA forum poster, I am a forum reader and user. The reason for this post is a lack of information regarding AUSTRALIAN Xoom rooting and updating on XDA (correct me if im wrong). This information is gathered from multiple different sources and I DONT TAKE ANY CREDIT FOR THEIR HARD WORK, nor do I take any responsibility for their instructions. Everything here is their work, however please follow the links for a more up to date process. Therefore take this information with a grain of salt, I have, however, seen it work on 4 Xoom's so far with 100% success. These instructions assume you can use adb, fastboot, and clockworkmod and assume you know that all warranty is voided by doing any of this.

Now, for the nice bit...

Do you have an Australian Xoom with 3G and wondering what to do about Verizon, US, EURO, UK, 3G, 4G, WIFI only, etc?? you want a forum that says OZ dont you? you want to ROOT YOUR XOOM!

Firstly from what I can tell our model is very similar if not identical to the UK model in that they provide 3G (Telstra Next G for us) connection. The US models dont have sim cards and access the network differently, so some of their processes and information will not apply to us, neither will all the UK information. So to save you some time, here is a collaboration of my findings after hours of web searching and flashing, re-flashing, etc.

Step 1 - Root it

[GUIDE] XOOM 3G Euro Root Instructions + Files.

This link and all associated files work perfectly to root your OZ-Spec Xoom

Step 2 - ClockworkMod Recovery

[Recovery] ClockworkMod 3.0.2.8 Modded for Internal media [UPDATED 5/13]
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1074979

Again, this works perfectly, and gives you SD access and a really easy way to flash your OZ-Spec Xoom

Step 3 - Honeycomb 3.1 Update

Step 3

Firstly need to backup some important telstra related files

adb remount
    adb pull /system/build.prop build.backup
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db-wal settings.db-wal
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db-shm settings.db-shm
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db telephony.db
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db-journal telephony.db-journal

[UPDATE][HC3.1] Wifi and 3G! Completely Flashable! No Fastboot Needed!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1074609

Follow the link to update your device. After updating, extract the attached zip to your adb.exe folder and run command prompt.

adb remount
    adb pull /system/build.prop build.backup ##cant be too safe##
    adb push settings.db-wal /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db-wal
    adb push telephony.db /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db
    adb push telephony.db-journal /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db-journal

This will get you 3.1 and still working on the Telstra network and thinking its australian again.

Step 4 - Tiamat Kernel

[KERNEL][AOSP][HC3.1] Tiamat Riptide Special Edition 1.4.2 [Update: 5/21]
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=978013

This is where those kickass quadrant scores come from. Follow instructions per usual for OZ-Spec. Dont forget to flash the new bootloader first.

tada!... a rooted Aussie Xoom running HC3.1 AND Tiamat kernel AND ClockworkMod AND 3G

Thankyou to the originators of the instructions found here.
    Followed these same steps yesterday and can vouch that they work great.

Cheers

(Also long time reader, first time poster)
    new build.prop

NEW BUILD.PROP FIXES MARKET LOCATION

Here's a modified build.prop that makes the xoom think its australian and released on Telstra. download, add build.modified to same folder as adb.exe and run cmd

adb pull /system/build.prop build.backup (you never can be too safe)

adb remount

adb reboot

check out the market... (still called shop, working on that)
    I think that step was supposed to point to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1089695 (which is actually the most important page to read)
    try turning on Android Debugging mode, but I don't think this will help recovering your pictures.