Opkg on Android (or, make your own app store)

Search This thread

inportb

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 29, 2008
inportb.com
I posted in a different thread because it had similar content, but I figured I'd stop hijacking someone else's thread.

This is quite rough at the moment, but I have compiled a statically-linked version of Opkg for armv5tel-compatible devices, which I believe includes most Android phones. So far, I have successfully installed packages from files and from repositories, and I'm still evaluating the possibility of using Opkg to maintain all sorts of things on the phone.

Opkg is a package manager not unlike Debian's dpkg/apt system. With this tool, we could easily install software from third-party repositories and keep it up-to-date. For now, there are some barriers against deploying Opkg on phones. Firstly, there are almost no Opkg packages for Android phones (though I do have some in my personal repository). Secondly, there is no GUI, and everyone loves shiny graphics. But I think these problems can be overcome, since Opkg is a pretty awesome little tool.

I posted this for a couple of reasons (other than to promote the use of Opkg on Android). So far, I know it works with HTC Dream and HTC Hero on CyanogenMod, but I'd like to know how it works on other types of phones if possible. I'd also like ideas and suggestions. Are there any Android developers or end-users out there who are interested in trying Opkg?

Anyhow, here're the links: [more info] [how to make a package] [how to make a repository] [downloads]
If you want to build it yourself, go ahead and knock yourself out ;p
Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Reactions: sUsH667
T

telekenesis2011

Hey, great to see im not the only person who had this idea. Thanks you for the links. I will try that on my Tattoo and play around with it.

inportb

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 29, 2008
inportb.com
I'm glad to see that you've figured out what was wrong, and I hope you managed to get it working! Nevertheless, someone asked how to configure the preferred architectures, so here's my /cache/etc/opkg/arch.conf file:
Code:
arch all 1
arch any 6
arch noarch 11
arch arm 16
arch armel 21
arch apk 26
arch apkmdpi 31

Now, a hdpi device might have:
Code:
arch all 1
arch any 6
arch noarch 11
arch arm 16
arch armel 21
arch apk 26
arch apkmdpi 31
arch apkhdpi 36

Of course, these architecture names should be standardized. And while we're at it, we should also come up with sensible paths for configuration files and such; I don't imagine sticking everything in /cache would be a good long-term solution.

T

telekenesis2011

Yes its working fine.

I would prefer to put the config under /data/local/etc/opkg it should be save there.
There is allready a tmp folder. So tmp goes like this: /data/local/tmp and for usr: /data/local/usr/opkg

Sections for apk-apps:
Code:
vendor/google
vendor/htc
vendor/acer
vendor/...

But we could also adapt the debian sections, so we havent to figure out this, and its already its well documented.

EDIT2:
According to the open moko wiki, there is only a feed.conf for the repository and a arch.conf for the architecture...

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Opkg/Documentation#configuration_files

Last edited:

rajeshrr

Oct 12, 2009
I like your idea and would like to try this, but right now I have a Garmin Asus M10 which is on Win 6.5, I would like to install android on this. I understand that A10 has android and it is compatible with M10. Any help in getting an android ROM would be appricitated. Once I have the android loaded I would love to use Opkg.

Regards,
Rajesh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I posted in a different thread because it had similar content, but I figured I'd stop hijacking someone else's thread.

This is quite rough at the moment, but I have compiled a statically-linked version of Opkg for armv5tel-compatible devices, which I believe includes most Android phones. So far, I have successfully installed packages from files and from repositories, and I'm still evaluating the possibility of using Opkg to maintain all sorts of things on the phone.

Opkg is a package manager not unlike Debian's dpkg/apt system. With this tool, we could easily install software from third-party repositories and keep it up-to-date. For now, there are some barriers against deploying Opkg on phones. Firstly, there are almost no Opkg packages for Android phones (though I do have some in my personal repository). Secondly, there is no GUI, and everyone loves shiny graphics. But I think these problems can be overcome, since Opkg is a pretty awesome little tool.

I posted this for a couple of reasons (other than to promote the use of Opkg on Android). So far, I know it works with HTC Dream and HTC Hero on CyanogenMod, but I'd like to know how it works on other types of phones if possible. I'd also like ideas and suggestions. Are there any Android developers or end-users out there who are interested in trying Opkg?

Anyhow, here're the links: [more info] [how to make a package] [how to make a repository] [downloads]
    If you want to build it yourself, go ahead and knock yourself out ;p
    Thanks for your time!