Root Nvidia Shield Android TV on Android Marshmallow

Search This thread

draky

Oct 15, 2006
Bay Area
Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong:

From desktop of Shield TV I type on my computer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb reboot bootloader
Shield TV reboots into a screen that says "Production mode: fused" on the top with some options.
I have gone through every option and it doesn't get me to a fastboot. Everytime I enter the fastboot command I get "waiting for device" and nothing happens.
I've even tried from this screen and I still get nothing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Juggalo23451

Jan 10, 2011
Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong:

From desktop of Shield TV I type on my computer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb reboot bootloader
Shield TV reboots into a screen that says "Production mode: fused" on the top with some options.
I have gone through every option and it doesn't get me to a fastboot. Everytime I enter the fastboot command I get "waiting for device" and nothing happens.
I've even tried from this screen and I still get nothing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You can reboot then press A and B on your controller connected to your shield via usb

in the command line type in fastboot devices to see if the shield is recognized.

Or'

Unplug and plug power then hold A and B on your controller when you plug in power

ColinMacLaren

Oct 15, 2007
Just to make sure: Does rooting with Magisk/flashing TWRP brake the libwidevine DRM-partition? Or will Netflix and Amazon still work after root?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am not currently available i am in bootcamp for the navy.
    Note: Ok for anybody browsing this thread right now the 500gb version shield tv seems to be having issues mounting partition now. The 16gb should work correctly though

this is thread on how to root the Nvidia shield android TV on android marshmallow. I do not own the software used here. I also want to state the ota will work with twrp installed but the ota will replace twrp with stock and delete root. this process should still work but if it does not try flashing to stock android lollipop which erases all userdata and then re-upgrade and try again. you will also need a usb mouse for this but it might also work with a keyboard which I did not test.

download twrp and supersu from this pages.

supersu
    http://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133

twrp
    http://xdaforums.com/shield-tv/general/recovery-twrp-2-8-6-0-shield-tv-variants-t3140926

1. transfer the supersu zip file to the internal storage in any way you want just make sure it is in the internal storage.

2. make sure adb and fastboot work properly on your computer. it does not matter which operating system.

3. reboot nvidia shield android tv to bootloader screen either by making sure usb debugging is enabled and running adb reboot bootloader or using the hardware method I copied from the nvidia site.

HW method:
    - Disconnect power cable
    - Insert USB OTG cable and make sure to connect other end to a host PC
    - Connect power cable to SHIELD
    - Quickly start pressing power button for ~3 seconds
    - Do not hold the button and connect power supply afterwards
    - HDMI TV should be always connected to SHIELD

4. once in the bootloader screen make sure your mouse is hooked up the nvidia shield android tv and on the computer make sure you have a command prompt or terminal open and in the same directory as where your twrp file is located.

5. if on windows run fastboot boot twrp.img, if on ubuntu run sudo fastboot boot twrp.img
    note: make sure to replace twrp.img with the name of the downloaded file.

6. if everything is done successfully up to this point you should be in a normal twrp environment.

7. you can flash the supersu zip file like normal and it should take about a minute to finish. if everything was succesfully you should have root access now.
    note: if twrp asked you to install supersu do not and also if it displays a screen asking about leaving system read-only tell it to leave read-only

sorry about the disorganization I suck at writing. If someone wants to help me organize this post that would be awesome.

Note: it appears that people with the 500gb version are having issues mounting the partitions to install the supersu.zip
    if you have issues try backing your data up and flashing to stock android lollipop and installing the ota without rooting. It is very important that twrp does not mount system read write. If this does not work i will update this post as we figure this out.
    P.s. i have the 16gb model shield tv
    5. if on windows run fastboot boot twrp.img, if on ubuntu run sudo fastboot boot twrp.img
    note: make sure to replace twrp.img with the name of the downloaded file.

I use fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    And it works

1. Update to Murshmallow
    2. adb push supers.zip / sdcard /
    3. install TWRP fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    4. Flash SuperSU.zip using TWRP
    True well try flashing back to stock using the full stock zip from nvidia. It includes the bootloader in the stuff to flash. You just download the zip and run the .bat file as administor after you have put the shield into bootloader mode. Also was twrp able to mount partitions when youbjad lollipop installed because the partition scheme did npt change across versions.

alright will try explain somehow ....
    two day ago i downloaded Vulcan developer zip (productionBL-droid-signed-foster_e_hdd-full_ota-41937_664.8257.20160212074447) and installed through twrp ......
    1 job done - console boots in v6.0 without root and custom recovery, so i decided i need root....
    2 adb sideload supersu.zip (native recovery was been broken)
    3. trying twrp - couldn't cant mount cant see (same as now)
    4. decided downgraded back to 2.1 through fastboot (nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-pro-upgrade2_1) image from nvidia site
    5 after long process console reboot and stuck on NVIDA green logo - taking out power cord and back - problem sorted console boots and first screen shows up where you need choose which controller or remote you need pair....
    6. ............and here comes interesting part ...............remote and controller didn't give a life sings at all (only background klicking sound) - just first screen freeze up --- i decided need do again reinstall 2.1 and started process....
    7. after long waiting (around two hours) (actually i didn't wait --- left house and return after 5-6h) ---- controller/remote start work....
    8. bypass selecting remote screen ................and again interesting part..........choosing wifi network with phenomenal "long delay" with several restarting and finally i approach google account screen and same story there WITH LONG DELAY WITH SEVERAL RESTART i finally boot 2.1
    x. and strangest here after this all drama console works without delays or kind of glitch/lags starts and restarts ----- then i saw 11gb instead of 500gb and i did factory reset from settings menu ----and whattt......same "long song agin"--- pairing, WiFi, google account many restarts and here we go 500gb is back
    9 (and i decided i need Vulcan back :) faastboot boot recovery.zip and install vulcan.zip (note: twrp under 2.1 worked fine no hassle without problem) but still didn't worked native recovery (showed me "broken or no command....android man horizontal position with red triangle" something like that)
    10 now i have installed Vulcan back and working OK but twrp not

p.s. ill better wait till nvida will publish v3.0 whole os on website and will try fresh reinstall of whole os a. i kind of don't wanna stuck again hours. b. i already did this. c. and i still thinking this is bootloader which is not down gradable (like it is for some phones/devices) coz when i was under 2.1 i could easily do this
    http://xdaforums.com/shield-tv/help/hardware-bootloader-access-easy-t3317627
    but before Vulcan installing noway u could do that under 2.1
    ( have look in screenshot i still have some kind of glitch under Vulcan two identical hdd :D :D :D )

and another one post scrip tum : all this mysterious things (reanimating back to life) it took me nonstop two day ------------ whatever--- at least i can watch YouTube and kodi :D
    alright will try explain somehow ....
    two day ago i downloaded Vulcan developer zip (productionBL-droid-signed-foster_e_hdd-full_ota-41937_664.8257.20160212074447) and installed through twrp ......
    1 job done - console boots in v6.0 without root and custom recovery, so i decided i need root....
    2 adb sideload supersu.zip (native recovery was been broken)
    3. trying twrp - couldn't cant mount cant see (same as now)
    4. decided downgraded back to 2.1 through fastboot (nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-pro-upgrade2_1) image from nvidia site
    5 after long process console reboot and stuck on NVIDA green logo - taking out power cord and back - problem sorted console boots and first screen shows up where you need choose which controller or remote you need pair....
    6. ............and here comes interesting part ...............remote and controller didn't give a life sings at all (only background klicking sound) - just first screen freeze up --- i decided need do again reinstall 2.1 and started process....
    7. after long waiting (around two hours) (actually i didn't wait --- left house and return after 5-6h) ---- controller/remote start work....
    8. bypass selecting remote screen ................and again interesting part..........choosing wifi network with phenomenal "long delay" with several restarting and finally i approach google account screen and same story there WITH LONG DELAY WITH SEVERAL RESTART i finally boot 2.1
    x. and strangest here after this all drama console works without delays or kind of glitch/lags starts and restarts ----- then i saw 11gb instead of 500gb and i did factory reset from settings menu ----and whattt......same "long song agin"--- pairing, WiFi, google account many restarts and here we go 500gb is back
    9 (and i decided i need Vulcan back :) faastboot boot recovery.zip and install vulcan.zip (note: twrp under 2.1 worked fine no hassle without problem) but still didn't worked native recovery (showed me "broken or no command....android man horizontal position with red triangle" something like that)
    10 now i have installed Vulcan back and working OK but twrp not

p.s. ill better wait till nvida will publish v3.0 whole os on website and will try fresh reinstall of whole os a. i kind of don't wanna stuck again hours. b. i already did this. c. and i still thinking this is bootloader which is not down gradable (like it is for some phones/devices) coz when i was under 2.1 i could easily do this
    http://xdaforums.com/shield-tv/help/hardware-bootloader-access-easy-t3317627
    but before Vulcan installing noway u could do that under 2.1
    ( have look in screenshot i still have some kind of glitch under Vulcan two identical hdd :D :D :D )

and another one post scrip tum : all this mysterious things (reanimating back to life) it took me nonstop two day ------------ whatever--- at least i can watch YouTube and kodi :D

Ok for anybody browsing this thread right now the 500gb version shield tv seems to be having issues mounting partition now. The 16gb should work correctly though
    That is correct, The 500gb model doesn't like twrp after marshmellow ota. It can't see partitions anymore. If you try downgrading also, you get those freezes in the welcome setup that visitor29 mentioned. So ota on pro models right now = no root.