[DEV][TEAM WX435] Triumph Kernel Thoughts

Search This thread

b_randon14

Jan 3, 2011
Somerset, KY
Have you tried downloading one of the gingerbread repo's from code Aurora? I am not sure if they have a different version of the tool chain or not?

Not yet. See I have used the linaro toolchain that I have built both my froyo and cm7 kernels on and never had a problem. And it don't make sense that it won't build the code aurora based kernel seeing as how I basically copied over the motorola triumph source over top of it, which is what I used to base my froyo bKernel off of (just the motorola source) and linaro builds it just fine. Im gonna have to dig through the makefiles to see how its calling the linker when building. Im gonna keep trying because I want our kernel to be able to be built using a newer toolchain if it's possible.

g60madman

May 2, 2012
github.com
Not yet. See I have used the linaro toolchain that I have built both my froyo and cm7 kernels on and never had a problem. And it don't make sense that it won't build the code aurora based kernel seeing as how I basically copied over the motorola triumph source over top of it, which is what I used to base my froyo bKernel off of (just the motorola source) and linaro builds it just fine. Im gonna have to dig through the makefiles to see how its calling the linker when building. Im gonna keep trying because I want our kernel to be able to be built using a newer toolchain if it's possible.

If you can post what you have on github I can save you the download (took me like 5-6 hours from code aurora on 30mbit comcast) as I have one of the Gingerbread repo's local on my box M7630AABBQMLZA404025I

b_randon14

Jan 3, 2011
Somerset, KY
Okay so an update on my kernel project... I haven't been able to track down where the conflicts with newer toolchains is coming from, but I recently made a git diff patch file between the froyo_pumpkin branch at the tag that Tickerguy gave us (also where I started my kernel project at) and the latest commit on the gingerbread_rel branch (which is 2.6.35.7) and it was a huge patch file. So in figuring as much changes as there where it would blow up if I tried to apply it overtook of my repo. But it didn't! Actually alot of the files patches with no problem, like 95% of them did!! I'm in the process of going through and manually patching in all the rejects.

Now this does not mean that it wont blow up when I try to build it, but it is a much better start than I have ever accomplished before. Hopefully in the next couple days I can get all the patches lined out and get started trying to build it and hopefully not have to many build errors to sort through!

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

g60madman

May 2, 2012
github.com
Way to go brother. I was working on some config files this AM for the device and I think I may be able to get rid of vendor_motorola_triumph and keep everything in one area. Still need to build it tonight but I am excited about it. It's nice to see we are making some head way!

elol

Nov 13, 2011
sabah
Way to go brother. I was working on some config files this AM for the device and I think I may be able to get rid of vendor_motorola_triumph and keep everything in one area. Still need to build it tonight but I am excited about it. It's nice to see we are making some head way!
sory my freind forget to give you the file for kernal .35.7,anyway try go forum ideos x6 and go thread rom icecoldsandwicth that my porting rom and download my rom take of some file that what need to porting for fbo device...i belive that this will help you fix random boot...

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Anyone got any ideas to fix the issues with newer toolchains when building from the code Aurora source?

try go forum andro-id that there tj-style already give all source kernal .35.7..anyway you can easy bulid it for you device...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay so an update on my kernel project... I haven't been able to track down where the conflicts with newer toolchains is coming from, but I recently made a git diff patch file between the froyo_pumpkin branch at the tag that Tickerguy gave us (also where I started my kernel project at) and the latest commit on the gingerbread_rel branch (which is 2.6.35.7) and it was a huge patch file. So in figuring as much changes as there where it would blow up if I tried to apply it overtook of my repo. But it didn't! Actually alot of the files patches with no problem, like 95% of them did!! I'm in the process of going through and manually patching in all the rejects.

Now this does not mean that it wont blow up when I try to build it, but it is a much better start than I have ever accomplished before. Hopefully in the next couple days I can get all the patches lined out and get started trying to build it and hopefully not have to many build errors to sort through!

All,

Since we are working as a DEV team now I wanted to share a PM I had with another DEV on the board about our Kernel. I hope this can assist some others that have more experience with the Kernel like b_randon

g60madman said:
    subpsyke,
    I would love to upgrade our kernel for the Motorola Triumph. How did you go about figuring which Code Aurora vanilla kernel to start with? I took over development for CM7 from Whyzor and would be interested in your methodology.

Thanks in advance,

g60

subpsyke said:
    1. I unpacked the original Huawei source to one directory, and downloaded the CodeAurora kernel to another.
    2. I used the release tags as a reference: https://www.codeaurora.org/xwiki/bin/QAEP/froyo_almond
    https://www.codeaurora.org/xwiki/bin/QAEP/froyo
    https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/la/?p=kernel/msm.git;a=tags
    3. I reverted the codeaurora repository to tag releases (e.g.: git reset --hard M76XXTSNCJNLYA6010) and compared the result via "diff urN" and meld. I knew I was getting closer when you get a smaller diff in the patch size, and used meld to see if the differences were likely to be Huawei's additions vs. CodeAurora's changes. It was only after going forward and backwards between tags was I sure of the proper baseline.

I performed the same discovery process with the Samsung kernel for my GT-I5500, which used M76XXTSNCJNLYA6040 as a baseline.

g60madman said:
    Sweet thanks! I will check it out and see what I can do :)

subpsyke said:
    No problem ;)

I forgot to mention the last steps:
    4. Once you establish the baseline, create a new branch: git checkout -b newbranch
    5. Overlay the changes from the vendor to a new commit*:
    cp ~/blah/vendorkernel/ . ; git add . ; git commit -m "Initial import of vendor changes".
    6. Once you've commited the vendor changes, you can use "git merge origin/froyo_almond" to move from the baseline to a newer revision. The froyo_almond branch is most suitable, as it's locked at 2.6.32, and the development focus seems to be on the msm7k chipset series. You could try updating to the android-msm-2.6.32 kernel, but it has more significant changes that will require adaptations of the board file, and may not be worthwhile, as development focus seems to be on newer chipsets.
    7. Inevitably you'll get merge conflicts, as more than likely some vendor commits may interfere with upstream changes. For this, you'll need to use your own discretion in fixing up the code. I use the "git mergetool", with meld configured as my default editor, and manually checked all the conflicts.

Good luck!

*You may also want to fix up permissions etc., if your vendor source comes from a zip tarball. But it's purely cosmetic.

g60madman said:
    So is almond the best flavor to start with. I have been using MSM/QSD for a while and in when TickerGuy originally created our device files for cm7 he listed in the readme

CAF information:
    Branch: froyo_pumpkin
    Tag: M7630AABBQMLZA2030

Didn't know if I should start with pumpkin or use almond. Let me know what you think?

Thanks again for the info!

subpsyke said:
    Hmm... if your phone really has a msm7630 chipset, then yes, you should probably go for the froyo_pumpkin branch. The froyo_almond branch is only for the msm7627 and qsd8650 chipsets.

g60madman said:
    Well thats the stupid thing, since the beginning we have used always used msm7x30 for our board config, But our stock ROM from Virgin Mobile the config was msm7k in the build.prop. However if you hit the Motorola Dev our pone clearly states Qualcomm MSM8655. I am leaning towards using the almond branch would that be correct?

subpsyke said:
    According to wikipedia, it's MSM8655.

Look at the table here: https://www.codeaurora.org/xwiki/bin/QAEP/

The froyo_almond supports qsd8650, and froyo_pumpkin supports qsd8650a_st1x. I honestly have no idea what the difference is, but it's within the realm of possibility that your phone's chipset is that odd revision on the pumpkin branch.

If your kernel is using a pumpkin baseline, then you should continue along the same branch.

g60madman said:
    I will download pumpkin and compare the kernel. I am not sure why TickerGuy started with pumpkin. That maybe what our build is based off of but I am not 100%.

subpsyke said:
    Ok. When you clone the codeaurora git repository, you'll have all the branches included anyway.
    Yeah I will on the cm7 kernel. As of right now I'm gonna try to get a stock froyo kernel booting off code Aurora sources then go ffrom there.

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk
    I've got my Linux mint 13 up and running so I'm going to try to get my build environment setup to build kernels either tonight or tomorrow and start pulling in source.

By the way, Linux mint 13 is pretty nice distro so far. I like it alot better than Ubuntu!

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk

Also you don't need to download the pumpkin branch simple download the kernel

git clone git://codeaurora.org/kernel/msm.git

git reset --hard M7630AABBQMLZA2030

The M7630AABBQMLZA2030 is the pumpkin branch and that should take us back to the vanilla kernel