How to root your Samsung Galaxy Gear!

Search This thread

bskarpa

Nov 28, 2011
Houston
Confused

I found out even tho impactor crashed at the end on Mac the watch was still rooted .

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

Yes you can .

I keep getting a "Failed to analyze source link" when trying to install anything from MobileGo. Apparently I've been out of the game a while. I have however rooted my N3 :laugh:!

Got it finally!!!!

Last edited:

jawonder

Nov 29, 2010
Boynton Beach, FL
I keep getting a "Failed to analyze source link" when trying to install anything from MobileGo. Apparently I've been out of the game a while. I have however rooted my N3 :laugh:!

Got it finally!!!!

I had that at one point on the PC, just quit MobileGo, unplug the phone and try again . If your using a mac i'm not sure because i couldn't get Gear to connect to MobileGo on the mac .

Last edited:

cgadgetz

Dec 5, 2008
So I have root installed supersu and all that jazz. Now I'm trying to use Es file explorer with root permissions and getting read only errors when trying to write to the system. I went and made sure RW was selected but I still get the same error. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BitNotFound

Oct 7, 2013
Nexus 7 (2013)
Samsung Galaxy Gear
So I have root installed supersu and all that jazz. Now I'm trying to use Es file explorer with root permissions and getting read only errors when trying to write to the system. I went and made sure RW was selected but I still get the same error. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

When you opened the SuperSU app, it asked you to update the su binary! all you need to do is re-run impactor, and you should be ok!

Reactions: cgadgetz

delcopa

Jan 31, 2010
Ok I'm doing something wrong for sure. I had the Samsung divers on the pc prior just rooted my note 3 there as well as other phones. Also using stock usb cable for the gear and it shows charging when plugged in so know it its connected. Installed the adb as well but for some reason the pc can't see the watch. Run the device list and nothing shows. Tried this on 2 window 7 machines and even on a Mac no luck on any of them.

Anyone have any suggestions and yes USB Debug is and was checked on the watch. Even unchecked and re checked several times just in case.

Help please

Sent from my SCH-I815 using Tapatalk 4

callif

Aug 25, 2010
right now the cydia impactor link is dead. any other options? could someone pls post it?

charlie

Last edited:

starscrean

Jan 4, 2010
New York
Same here. Cydia impactor download link doesn't work. It freezes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Hey download cydia impact from phone it downloads fine

BitNotFound

Oct 7, 2013
Nexus 7 (2013)
Samsung Galaxy Gear
Same here. Cydia impactor download link doesn't work. It freezes.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Hey download cydia impact from phone it downloads fine

I have tried it several times, but nothing seems to be wrong... Does it partially download? are you using a download manager? If not, I'll upload it separately...

Adamallica

Oct 19, 2010
Bluetooth Tethering?

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it, but there's only one feature that I'm looking for to make this device absolutely amazing - internet connection through Bluetooth. I'm not very familiar with Android development, but it doesn't seem like it should be that difficult; am I wrong?

I have a Liftmaster garage door with an internet gateway, so I'm able to control my lighting and the garage door from my phone, but I would totally love the ability to control it through the watch. Since the apk is easily installable, all it would need is internet capability through Bluetooth to work, right?

Also, apps like Jefit (workout tracker), netcam, and Nest (thermostat) would make this watch's feature set that much better...

Is this capability more difficult than I think? Once Bluetooth tethering is achieved, would the apps that require an internet connection automatically work, or would they have to be tweaked to look for the connection through Bluetooth rather than through Wi-Fi or Cellular? Would a custom Rom fix this?

Sorry for my ignorance - I'm a lover of gadgets, but kind of stupid when it comes to development....

BitNotFound

Oct 7, 2013
Nexus 7 (2013)
Samsung Galaxy Gear
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it, but there's only one feature that I'm looking for to make this device absolutely amazing - internet connection through Bluetooth. I'm not very familiar with Android development, but it doesn't seem like it should be that difficult; am I wrong?

I have a Liftmaster garage door with an internet gateway, so I'm able to control my lighting and the garage door from my phone, but I would totally love the ability to control it through the watch. Since the apk is easily installable, all it would need is internet capability through Bluetooth to work, right?

Also, apps like Jefit (workout tracker), netcam, and Nest (thermostat) would make this watch's feature set that much better...

Is this capability more difficult than I think? Once Bluetooth tethering is achieved, would the apps that require an internet connection automatically work, or would they have to be tweaked to look for the connection through Bluetooth rather than through Wi-Fi or Cellular? Would a custom Rom fix this?

Sorry for my ignorance - I'm a lover of gadgets, but kind of stupid when it comes to development....

Unfortunately it isn't quite that easy... The Bluetooth driver and software that goes with it (and sometimes the hardware) that dictate the feature set. Bottom line is, Without a new Bluetooth stack, you can't add new features to a device.

hurdlejade

Sep 29, 2012
i remember many years ago, when symbian was ruling smartphones, i was being able to tether internet from my pc through bluetooth to my n-gage qd using 'gnubox'. if it was possible back then, then i think it's just a matter of time till someone do something similar. lack of tethering really limit the use of this device. i would love to be able to control my pc using this smart watch..

trevor7428

Feb 10, 2012
Las Vegas, NV

To me, it seems like someone would have to create/ port a LiftMaster mini app. That once pressed button on watch. It would send a single (Bluetooth) to phone saying open garage. Without the need to tether to watch.

I agree that would be sweet. I have LiftMaster internet Gateway, garage, and light switch.

But yes if Bluetooth tethering was achieved on gear. It would be more likely to see then someone creating an app specifically for gear.

AstroDigital

Aug 10, 2010
Stupid question I root for two reasons,

1) Remove bloatware. It is a watch I can not imagine it has much bloatware.
2) Custom ROMs. There are no customer ROMs

Why root?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Gear:

Firstly:
    I AM IN NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, RESPONSIBLE FOR THE OUTCOME OF YOU FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS! IT WORKED FOR ME, BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT, WORK FOR YOU!

Root Guide:

Preparation:

1. Install Samsung's official ADB Drivers from here.

2. Get Cydia Impactor from here.

3. Go to your Gear's settings and enable ADB​

To Root:

1. Plug in the device and let it install all the drivers it needs.

2.Unzip the Cydia Impactor folder you just downloaded

3. Open Impactor from the folder you just unzipped

4. The default "# drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su" is what you need

5. Click start

6. Once the process completes, the device will still look normal, but is fully rooted!​

I will have to leave it to you guys to install a utility like SuperSU or Superuser until there is a functioning recovery for the Gear.
    Though this isn't necessary, however, and in some most cases doesn't work! SuperSU or Superuser just manage what apps access the SU command, so if you trust the app, it should be ok!

Enjoy your newly rooted device!​

How to restore back to stock:

Preparation:

1. Get Odin 3.07 from here.

2. Find the proper .md5 file from here.
    (If you are in the US, just select the Great Britain file.)

3. Install Samsung ADB drivers from here.

To Restore:

1. Plug in the Gear

2.From being powered on, (Bootable or not) press and hold the button of the right until the Gear shows "Samsung Galaxy Gear Rebooting" and rapidly press the button until you get to the "Select REBOOT MODE" screen.

3. Highlight "Download" in the list by pressing the button to scroll.

4. Press and hold the button for 3 seconds (and let go! The screen won't change immediately) and let it boot into download mode.

5. Unzip the .zip file you just downloaded that contains the ROM itself.

6. Select the PDA button and open the .MD5 file in the folder you just unzipped.

7. DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING ELSE!!!

8. Click the start button, and you'll be back to stock within a couple of minutes! (Most likely with any data on /data kept and all sideloaded apps remaining.)​

Any questions? Ask below! Want to help me make a ROM or Recovery? PM me!
    What I'm working on:

Currently, (and I know it's not much) but I'm working on a way to use the paired android device as a keyboard and trackpad for the Gear. Next, Internet connection!
    Minecraft on the Galaxy Gear!

After typing that about mounting the gear I immediately questioned whether that ever worked. :silly:

That being said, I have the su file in system/bin and system/xbin/, but anytime I try to run something that requires root it says "must be suid to work properly". After trying to find a fix for that for a few hours without luck I've run out of ideas.

Better yet, why not make a backup of the rooted rom that can be flashed via Odin now that download mode is more accessible?

I just added restore instructions to the OP!

Oh, and I found that Minecraft actually runs rather well, if not extremely cramped!

Look for my video on Youtube! Username: Photonic Boom
    I have updated the OP with links and better instructions! Check it out! :)
    i... THINK it worked. for kicks and giggles i plugged my Note 3 into my computer, on my windows 7 PC which is where i do a majority of my tinkering/rooting/etc. it didn't recognize it at all, even with USB debug on, so I think my problem may have had to do with the drivers that I had. i cleared everything off like you said, uninstalled & emptied the recycle bin. redownloaded drivers (the older file wouldn't install on my windows 8 pc so i got them from samsung directly for the Note 3), did the hard reboot on the gear, put it in debug mode, plugged it in and booted up impactor. impactor actually moved, did the whole "testing" thing and series of numbers. the "footprint" message popped up on the gear, i accepted it to always allow this PC, and then that was that. i'm going to try to install the null rom now and see if i can get anywhere. i'm a little concerned that my gear doesn't show up as a drive such as when my Note 3 or my Tablet are connected, it's definitely charging and you hear the sound that it's connected, but it doesn't show me that it's accessible, even after all this. is that the way that it's supposed to be? let me know.

hopefully this will work. if not, then idk what i'll do... but i appreciate your help none the less.

Only after installing the null ROM will MTP (Mounting as a drive) mode be available! When the Null ROM is installed, be sure to go to Settings(FULL settings! Not the Gear's settings app!)>Storage>Menu>USB Computer Connection> Select "Media Device (MTP)"

It only works in the null ROM!