Google Android and Linux for KAISER!!

Search This thread

dcordes

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2007
As I pointed out, some asshole smelled the hype.

This is not only very stupid, but also ridiculous.

There are quite a few people who contributed in the port of the Linux Kernel to the htc kaiser and other msm7x00 hardware. (if you are new to this topic and interesting in android: google's android environment bases on Linux and thus requires the Linux Kernel to work properly on your target device) There are some who came along only to contribute a piece of information they found, some wrote one or more complete driver, some provide webspace, etc all of different background/motivation/skill. Then there are the many people (for example the users of this forum) who are eager to provide help testing the new developments, sharing their opinnions and ideas etc.

I personally am not one of the professional developers. I only know what I learned by playing with all this and some other projects. I am a big fan of Linux and was amazed by the htc-linux Kernel development, so I decided to contribute back, getting the kaiser and help porting the msm-linux kernel. I was down since day one and since then I spent a whole lot of time with this work which included boring documentation of things when we weren't able to boot yet, getting on people's nerves asking for help ;-) trying out new code, changing bits of it, etc. also keeping people informed in this forum with the techincal backgrounds. I uploaded the kernel builds to the servers of the linuxtogo organization. All that although I'm not really convinced in android because of the closed source situation. Only because I like the idea of Linux on mobile devices.

Anyway, long story short: I never asked for any money and did not make one lousy penny with this project. And this applies to all the people who I know contributed, as well.
(not counting the different "my super android on htc blog"-sites around where people make some dollars with ads.)

===>>

Now some random person comes and thinks.. "Wow, this has gained a lot of attention. Now that people are even asking where to donate, why should I not make some money with it? It won't cost me anything, just one forum post :D"

Especially when you bear in mind that some persons here in this forum, probably even you reading this post right now, are very eager to have a fully working linux kernel and android on their cell phones, such a thing like the above becomes highly ridiculous.

From a donor's point of view, why on earth do you trust a random person who spits some garbage while there are so many people who obviously have been working on this for months? You could ask them to send a few dollars. Instead you chase this ****ed up ratter person and throw your money right out of the window.
And even if that person the ratter is talking about is a skilled linux kernel developer, why would he deserve ANY money when he only takes the present work and fixes a rather trivial bit (not to get technical) in it. IF SUCH PERSON WOULD EXIST, would they not rather deserve a punch in his face instead of getting a donation of 300$?

I think so, because this is not only ****ing ignorant, but even a huge insult to all us persons who have really worked on this in the past. I don't want to express how upset I really am about this right now.

So dear donors, if you have given any money to badbrad4080 or any other mysterious persons begging for android/linux on the htckaiser/polaris/.. like him, please take it back ASAP and spend it on something useful. Because it will not speed up any development and will not honor/reward the persons who deserve it really.

Thanks for reading, Lukas.

echofloripa

Feb 13, 2007
Your donation is most appreciated, no he cant get it done quicker sorry he works full time and is doing this in his spare time, but he will try to give his input on other issues and try his best to help resolve them but he assures me he will have sd prob fixed and i pm'd android vogue creator, still waiting for a response.

Dcordes

It really make me see this differently from this perspective. It wasn't that we didn't give the appreciation for your work, I'm sure. I just believe we were desperate for getting a working android for our beloved kaiser.
Be sure I really appreciate your hard work to get linux/android working in the Kaiser. I know it would sound worse if I would request your paypal now, but I believe i'd would be fair enough for the whole work you've done.

thanks
emerson

Last edited:

loserskater

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2008
Palmdale, CA
I've been touching base with this thread for a couple weeks now and I am very excited for the day to finally come, but i strongly agree with dcordes in that it is very insulting!

Everybody here on these forums do all this work just to put smiles on peoples faces and then some mystery man can come by and wants to do it for $300 bux!?!? Its absurd that somebody would try to take advantage of such an amazing community like this one... but then again there are my relatives in Nigeria!

webPragmatist

May 16, 2008
If the guy really wanted to make some $$ on developing for kaiser then he would be on the forums. I'm not sending anyone money with such an absurd lack of existance. :mad:

badbrad4080

Sep 19, 2007
As I pointed out, some asshole smelled the hype.

whats your probs? The guy thats doing it doesnt benefit from the forum at all, he asks for a donation, doesnt require it and instead of being happy android is gonna be on our kaisers all you can say is wheres my money, as a heads up if you dont ask most people will consider it your donation to forum and wont attempt to send anything?

badbrad4080

Sep 19, 2007
With an OS that is based on an open source philosophy, who would want to pay someone to fix an open source OS? I understand the donation-thing, but donations usually come after an effective fix or build comes out after a lot of work. Heck - even with the chefs for the myriad of WM builds out there, they only get donations after putting out their work. Why should we work in reverse order for this? Shenanigans!
AS said a million times in HERE you dont have to give any donations now!!, you can wait he already started it!!!

badbrad4080

Sep 19, 2007
If the guy really wanted to make some $$ on developing for kaiser then he would be on the forums. I'm not sending anyone money with such an absurd lack of existance. :mad:

lmao, you can keep your money its not a requirement, are you just trying to justify your reason of being mean? He just want money for his time, which people are willing to donate and probably wont do anything for this forum again due to negative feedback you guys give towards donating, he has started and people who want to donate after hes done is no prop :D

badbrad4080

Sep 19, 2007
I've been touching base with this thread for a couple weeks now and I am very excited for the day to finally come, but i strongly agree with dcordes in that it is very insulting!

Everybody here on these forums do all this work just to put smiles on peoples faces and then some mystery man can come by and wants to do it for $300 bux!?!? Its absurd that somebody would try to take advantage of such an amazing community like this one... but then again there are my relatives in Nigeria!

Initially thats what he said but read after that and stop posting useless stuff please!!!

slovoflud

Mar 3, 2008
Question to Mods

I've got a question to our Mods

What's going to happen when we finally get a fully working version of Android? We'll have apps developed specifically for Kaiser, roms etc... (I presume) Obviously we wont be able to put everything here, nor it is a good idea to have WM soft and ROMs mixed with androids'... Will we have a separate thread for Android? xda-developers > Kaiser > Android Development ? something like this?

hypest

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 1, 2008
Thessaloniki
As said before its a donation and he wants to make sure he nots wasting his time

really, what is that suppose to mean?!?!?

Perhaps such words is the reason people here are "attacking" you and your friend... This community is really able to say "thank you"s, so please ask yourself why they are "attacking"...

I myself, have contributed some small things, and kindly provide a link in my signature for donations. I added the link long after the initial release of the project (Barcorama), haven't received any donations yet but still, I continue to contribute! The philosophy here is, I (like so many others in here) like to develop and share FOR NOTHING!!

I think that, your friend will be mostly welcomed here, as soon as he will be willing to spend his time.

GuySparkz

Apr 10, 2008
does anyone know if HTC and Google will ever release official OEM ROM andriod for the tilt or kaiser, or will we be windows mobile forever?

Last edited:

echofloripa

Feb 13, 2007
Regarding donations and the SD drivers

Ok Guys, I know the whole thing of the opensource philosophy and such and suc. But why not give the guy a chance to show his work? Then afterwards, if people want, they can donate. Dcordes, please would you make available you pay-pal for donations please? I believe, more than anyone here you've done a great job in setting up for us android for kaiser.

best regards
Emerson

syphern

Jun 11, 2008
as I have said before and im sure many people agree

I will be thrilled when a fully working version of Android is released for Kaiser and will gladly donate to whomever does it.

Before that my money stays in my pocket!

So why doesnt the person whos asking for donations make the product first and THEN ask and im sure 100% he will get a much better response and a higher number of donations.

dagentooboy

Feb 16, 2008
Kansas
I just ordered a G1.... if there is anything I can do to help you guys once I get it I will. As far as a WM device I don't think the tilt is that great but you guys have made HUGE strides in the Android arena. I still have yet to place or receive a call in Android on my tilt but it looks better and better every time you guys update the 1st post.

Thanks for all your efforts and let me know if I can help with my G1.
:):):)

drownage

Jan 16, 2008
@ all...

We are getting off topic... This thread is in the ROM section.. so we should be talking about technical stuff... as for donation... no one can force it... people make them at their will... so move on from that topic...

@ dagentooboy

OMG when do u get the phone? We need you to ask he cooks and figure out a way to image the phone so we can create a new zimage for the Tilt... We cant help much until we understand how it works on the G1, but I think it should atleast boot up on the Kaiser since they use almost the same chipset... Qualcomm MSN 7200 versus 7210...

@ all

I repeat my question earlier... Has anyone tried to recompile a new zimage from Android SDK 1.0 libraries because its supposively has more compatibility...

I just ordered a G1.... if there is anything I can do to help you guys once I get it I will. As far as a WM device I don't think the tilt is that great but you guys have made HUGE strides in the Android arena. I still have yet to place or receive a call in Android on my tilt but it looks better and better every time you guys update the 1st post.

Thanks for all your efforts and let me know if I can help with my G1.
:):):)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is anyone having problems charging on Kaiser? I'm was using the latest basefiles and system-xrom1.4r3.sqsh so I switched to the Google-Ion-2009-09-12 bundle both from vogue-android on google code with fresh data.img, same problem. Charging will work for the first few hours and then without any changes, it will stop. It will charge for like 30 seconds and stop charging and the battery icon will go back to normal and in "battery status" it shows "not charging". A regular soft reboot will not fix this for some reason. Charges just fine in windows mobile, but to use android I have to reboot and charge in wm6 and when fully charged switch back to android. Anyone experienced this?
    Nice, I got it working on L26 V4 worked 1st time :)

Still a bit buggy of course but getting there

is l26 an lg device?

I will provide a zImage with our latest changes from the linuxtogo git later this day.

I will also upload a console image for testing purpose later (you can read the AT data from the arm9 in it. Just create a device node using mknod dev/smd0 254 2 and use cat /dev/smd0 to read from it. you will see incoming calls, sms etc.)
    This is one of the current mayor problems: We can read from the AT buffer but not write to it which is essential for any phone operations i.e. writing sms, making phone calls but also for using the gps. The gps deveice in kaiser is controlled also with AT send buffer. So once we hve it working we only need the msm_proc_comm work to make calls on the kaiser! If somebody knows what I'm talking about please have a look in arch/arm/mach-msm/smd-kaiser.c

Any hints/improvements appreaciated
    Can't make phone call

Hi every ones!!! :)

Android boot excellent, have internet connection but I can't make calls.

Someone can help me.

Thank you!!!
    I have a question: can I access my phone via USB when my phone is booted into Android and my computer is running Linux? It would makes sense to me, but it doesn't seem to be working.