More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock-N-Load

My outside cold boot test

1. Turned off wifi
2. Left GPS on
3. Shut down tablet
4. Let sit 5 minutes
5. Walked outside into middle of the street.
6. Turned on tablet (remember, NO wifi on and only GPS on) and... it took maybe 2 minutes or less and I got 15 in view and 11 locked on!

See the screenshot... no WiFi and 15 & 11 @60 feet. Remember, I was the guy that posted 10 pages ago about having nothing, dropped his tablet, picked it up and viola.. signals

The issue here is we have a poorly functioning GPS. It shouldn't take two minutes to get a location fix and with 11 locks, error should be 5 meters at the most.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxp3

I sent engadget a tip already last week about the GPS, but encourage everyone to do the same, maybe they'll catch it if a lot of people do it.

I also post some words on asus facebook. I encourage everyone to flood asus until we get a response.

Done, thank you.
29th December 2011, 06:23 PM |#502  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMenace

Hmm, how about indoors? You getting anything?

more interested in actual navigation...i.e. driving...
29th December 2011, 06:29 PM |#503  
Under Your Skin
Thanks Meter: 390

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMenace

Hmm, how about indoors? You getting anything?

Yes, I do. But I live in a ranch style home.

AND, I have not done a cold boot test indoors just like what I did above, so I will do that next to get apples to apples. But before I do I can get, as I posted before after the tablet drop, +7-8-9 signals indoors with wifi to start and keep them when shut wifi off. So, I will do a cold boot indoor test now just like above and see.
29th December 2011, 06:33 PM |#504  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Removing the back cover.
Has anyone tried removing the back cover to see if they can get an indoor fix that way? I'm not sure how to remove it but I'm going to search for the answer and try that. If there is a NOT substantial difference with the cover off then we may eliminate a major variable.
29th December 2011, 06:37 PM |#505  
Flag newport news
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Smile
Its the software I did a fireware update last night and GPS found 16 sat and locked on 11 wifi off and within 2 mins. My droid razr had a few more sat but just as fast. Not returning mine everything works now. Bleeding has gone away and wifi works not the best but fine.
29th December 2011, 06:41 PM |#506  
Thanks Meter: 83

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbailey75

Its the software I did a fireware update last night and GPS found 16 sat and locked on 11 wifi off and within 2 mins. My droid razr had a few more sat but just as fast. Not returning mine everything works now. Bleeding has gone away and wifi works not the best but fine.

Did you install any updates before this one?
29th December 2011, 06:46 PM |#507  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
So after 5 hours or so of waiting for a lock to happen, my GPS finally decided to do lock.

Given, it is currently sitting still, I wouldn't go on a field trip, i'm pretty sure i'd loose the signal, considering it's currently loosing locks every seconds, but at least I'm getting something.

I will continue my test day and hope it fixes itself (doubtful about that), but at least I can say I throughly tested it...

It wasn't getting any signal, so I did a cold reboot with no wireless location and it was able to get some signal from satellites.

Other than that, I'm not putting anything on the device until I know what I will do with it. It's still not functional, I was just lucky enough to get a lock, figured I would post how it happened.
29th December 2011, 07:06 PM |#508  
Under Your Skin
Thanks Meter: 390

More
My inside cold boot test

1. Turned off wifi
2. Left GPS on
3. Shut down tablet
4. Let sit 5 minutes
5. Sitting in my office inside a ranch style house
6. Turned on tablet (remember, NO wifi on and only GPS on) and... it took maybe 2.5 minutes or so and I got 8-9 in view and 6 locked on and reported about 45-60 feet accuracy!

So no WiFi and 8 & 6 @45-60 feet.

So, indoors, it took maybe 30 seconds longer at most, and I got less signals and locks but I admit, better than I expected
29th December 2011, 07:25 PM |#509  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Just not when I hit the reset button it was just a reboot basically it did not wipe and set back to factor. I have yet to test with driving I will here soon. My friend did install gps essentials and that was all he had to do it get it working. He then tried to navigate back to work with it but it did not work correctly. So something is still screwed up with his I still have to test mine.
29th December 2011, 07:28 PM |#510  
Flag Orlando, Florida
Thanks Meter: 19

More
I'm not getting any view or lock on mine.only with WiFi on.I have an HTC hd2 and when the porting of HTC 3.0 started GPS was not functional until tytung a member here fixed a bunch of GPS conf. But for that we have to be rooted
Just say
Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App
29th December 2011, 07:36 PM |#511  
Thanks Meter: 83

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock-N-Load

My inside cold boot test

1. Turned off wifi
2. Left GPS on
3. Shut down tablet
4. Let sit 5 minutes
5. Sitting in my office inside a ranch style house
6. Turned on tablet (remember, NO wifi on and only GPS on) and... it took maybe 2.5 minutes or so and I got 8-9 in view and 6 locked on and reported about 45-60 feet accuracy!

So no WiFi and 8 & 6 @45-60 feet.

So, indoors, it took maybe 30 seconds longer at most, and I got less signals and locks but I admit, better than I expected

Very interesting, maybe there is some light at the end of this tunnel...hopefully it isn't a train. Did you by chance "clear" the GPS data using GPS Status? Wondering if it remembered the sat from your outside test run. Not trying to be a negative-nancy, just want to make sure all our bases are covered.

Thanks for trying this btw.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gps, transformer prime

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)