[Xperia Z1][INFO][REF] All the info you need before you begin

Search This thread

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
Model number:
The Xperia Z1 has model number as C69xx and has few models. They differ in the spectrum of frequencies supported for 3G/WCDMA http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z1-5596.php
C6902/L39h - HSDPA
C6903 - LTE
C6906
C6943
Is there a list of which model is for which carrier? I'm on T-Mobile (LTE), 4G HSPA+ network Band IV which uses 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies. At first glance the C6903, C6906, and C6943 seem to support T-Mobile frequencies although I'm sure I'm missing something.

301stSpartan

Apr 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
Hey guys, a quick question (sorry if it's a dumb one), but I'm curious how quickly this device will likely get custom ROM updates to the latest android version when they've release? I ask because I'm coming from the galaxy s2 9100G, which fortunately uses the same OMAP chipset as the galaxy nexus. So we got the new CM versions basically right away.

I'm not familiar with Sony phones though... will developing new CM versions be fairly straight forward (as I guess I'm used to with my s2) or will it have to wait for Sony to release sources or anything? (And I know we have GREAT devs for this device already so that isn't a concern ;))

Sorry again for the very basic (and subjective) question, but my custom ROM knowledge is fairly limited to my s2. Just trying to get an idea of the type of experience I can expect here before I buy.

Thanks!

Reactions: miltonbcn

uly609

Jan 7, 2013
stockton
I know this is a n00b question but, if I flash a newer stock firmware to my phone will it wipe all of my data? (apps, pictures, contacts, settings?)

dantevip59

Dec 23, 2009
i have a question about boot loop issue, can anyone help me how to solve this problem?

When I got the Z1 from UK, I root it succeeded, and I have tried to flash the newest firmware 14.1.G.1.534 and rooted it again (wipe everything), however, I used Tatian BackUp to restore my backup files, after I restarted the device, I got boot loop. I tried to flash back to 14.1.G.1.518 and rooted it, and again, after restore all the backup, I got boot loop after restart the device. Is there anyone have same issue? Now I only can use the unroot version, it is a big issue for me.

Anyone can help me please!

Thank you.

inffy

Jun 26, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
i have a question about boot loop issue, can anyone help me how to solve this problem?

When I got the Z1 from UK, I root it succeeded, and I have tried to flash the newest firmware 14.1.G.1.534 and rooted it again (wipe everything), however, I used Tatian BackUp to restore my backup files, after I restarted the device, I got boot loop. I tried to flash back to 14.1.G.1.518 and rooted it, and again, after restore all the backup, I got boot loop after restart the device. Is there anyone have same issue? Now I only can use the unroot version, it is a big issue for me.

Thank you.

Did you restore system apps and their data too? I think that might be the problem

POWER1FM

Apr 8, 2012
lechaina
Huawei Mate 40 Pro

Thank you.

If you were using link2sd to manage ext3/4 partitions to your sd card make sure to delete ext partition from your card.

When link2sd or other app that manage ext partitions get root access you have bootloops because of stock kernel.

Remove sd card and feed back if your device start properly.

madlive

Oct 29, 2006
Happy to see you here D_L, the z1 is a marvellous device but need some optimizing in terms of battery time and how it deals with external storage. At the moment there seems no easy to move apps to an external sd card.

iconoclastnet

Apr 22, 2010

Isn't there a way to root this thing without having to first track down a machine I can install windows onto and then load some mysterious chinese software to run an unidentified exploit over usb?

No good old-fashioned "universal root" one-click apk that I can just sideload?
Or some clever way to inject an su binary, perhaps dd'ing it into place on the filesystem, or even the old standby of redirecting from cat directly to a block device?

This phones been available to the general public for more than a couple of days, surely someone's come up with something simpler than either of these two options?

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
Isn't there a way to root this thing without having to first track down a machine I can install windows onto and then load some mysterious chinese software to run an unidentified exploit over usb?

No good old-fashioned "universal root" one-click apk that I can just sideload?
Or some clever way to inject an su binary, perhaps dd'ing it into place on the filesystem, or even the old standby of redirecting from cat directly to a block device?

This phones been available to the general public for more than a couple of days, surely someone's come up with something simpler than either of these two options?
Would you really have a problem trying to "track down a machine" to install Windows onto? How rare are these machines in your world? Why do they frighten you? Me, I have five Windows machines and they are very easy to use, trust me. They are easy to find in my world. Do you live on a mountaintop?

All sarcasm aside, rooting can be dangerous if done incorrectly. As a future Z1 owner, I agree that loading some mysterious Chinese software to run an unidentified exploit over USB is not a comfortable or trustworthy solution. Especially when the menus and error messages are in Chinese. I really don't trust at all what I'd be installing onto my Android. Would you?

iconoclastnet

Apr 22, 2010

Would you really have a problem trying to "track down a machine" to install Windows onto? How rare are these machines in your world? Why do they frighten you? Me, I have five Windows machines and they are very easy to use, trust me. They are easy to find in my world. Do you live on a mountaintop?

All sarcasm aside, rooting can be dangerous if done incorrectly. As a future Z1 owner, I agree that loading some mysterious Chinese software to run an unidentified exploit over USB is not a comfortable or trustworthy solution. Especially when the menus and error messages are in Chinese. I really don't trust at all what I'd be installing onto my Android. Would you?

Oh, I'm sure there are a few around, I just haven't found much success with "hey, can I borrow your windows box and administrator password? I just need to install the android sdk, some sony drivers, and a chinese rootkit I found on the internet..." I'll probably have more luck digging up some old outdated hardware than can be wiped and load windows onto it.

Sure, I do worry a bit about what else I'd be installing, and not just on the android. I figured that there are bound to be other options, and if someone has identified the exploit being used it help narrow down the search a bit. It seems that firmaroot won't do the trick. I guess I've been spoiled by a string of Nexus phones.

Maybe I'll wait a bit longer to see if any other alternatives emerge before the wipe-and-load of the sacrificial hardware.

Clownzer

Dec 27, 2008
Hey guys,

First and foremost thank you very much for this post and guides in the OP's first post. I used Vroot and was able to get root on my Xperia Z1 without any issues.

Question Time;
Can I remove the Chinese Superuser app and install SuperSU? I haven't brushed up on my chinese so I would like an SU app I can read.

Thanks!

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
Hey guys,

First and foremost thank you very much for this post and guides in the OP's first post. I used Vroot and was able to get root on my Xperia Z1 without any issues.

Question Time;
Can I remove the Chinese Superuser app and install SuperSU? I haven't brushed up on my chinese so I would like an SU app I can read.

Thanks!

Yes, install another superuser app, update the binaries then uninstall the Chinese one. If you find it does not work then use kingo root to root your phone again, it will delete the Chinese one and install supers
http://bit.ly/19nNXO1

Reactions: massimo2001

Clownzer

Dec 27, 2008
That worked great! Thank you, now for another question, do you know why the build.prop file is reverting after I edit it? Primarily the dpi

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk 4

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
That worked great! Thank you, now for another question, do you know why the build.prop file is reverting after I edit it? Primarily the dpi

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk 4
How are you trying to edit it? Are you doing it on your phone, or pulling it from the phone and editing on your computer?

If you have windws on your computer use notepad++ if you are on windows and gedit if you are on Linux. If you are on mac then there is no helping you.. ;)

Reactions: Clownzer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @MODS
    request you to sticky this thread

hello friends,

let me begin by introducing myself, i am developer for Xperia devices (X10, ARC, PLAY, S, T, Z) and am the Lead Developer of Team UtterChaos, member of Team ICX and was associated with Team FreeXperia, ... i have some experience in development for Xperia devices, specifically in kernels, rooting & recoveries and i have various how-to, reference threads which are very helpful to new & advanced users alike across various device communities... i hope even this thread will be useful to everyone... if you would like to know what things i have worked on before feel free to check some of the links in my signature below...

so some of u must be new to the Sony Xperia family & even if u are not this should be useful... this thread should get u up to speed on what you need to know for this device...

i will try to cover some very basic things and try to touch upon some advanced topics...

i will be dividing this thread into various sections, and each section will point to an individual post...

following is the list of sections covered:

for those who are interested in development are free to contact me via p.m.... BUT PLEASE do not ask generic questions, post all generic queries at the forums/threads...

regards,

DooMLoRD
    Basics

[ various bootmodes ]

newest Sony devices have three boot modes... these bootmodes can be reached when device is powered off...

• Normal - just press power button and device starts booting
    • Flashmode - this mode is used to flash stock OFFICIAL firmware using flashtool, denoted by GREEN LED (this is similar to DOWNLOAD/ODIN mode of the Samsung devices)
    • Fastboot mode - this is a special mode, denoted by BLUE LED, used when we want to flash custom kernel, custom system images, for that we need to unlock bootloader, i will tell more details about this later...

[ various key combinations ]

this is most important part...

known key combinations so far:

while device is power OFF

Volume Up + USB cable connected to PC -> FASTBOOT MODE (BLUE LED will light up)

Volume Down + USB cable connected to PC -> FLASHMODE (GREEN LED will light up)

while device is power ON

Volume Up + POWER (for 10 seconds) -> resets the battery, its like removing the battery and putting it back in [device will vibrate once]

Volume Up + POWER (for additional 5 seconds, total 15 seconds) -> will power off hard, device will power down [device will vibrate thrice]

hard power off

Xperia-Z1-User-Manual_2-640x555.png

[ understanding About Phone ]

attachment.php

(check out attachment if the above pic is not visible)

What it all means for u:

Kernel version:
    Sony has released this device with 3.4.0 kernel. When custom kernels are released (they will surely be soon) this string will change.

Model number:
    The Xperia Z1 has model number as C69xx and has few models. They differ in the spectrum of frequencies supported for 3G/WCDMA http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z1-5596.php
    C6902/L39h - HSDPA
    C6903 - LTE
    C6906
    C6943

Android version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)
    Sony officially launched this phone with android version 4.2.2 (aka Jelly Bean).

Baseband version: [linked to firmware version]

(Crudely) this is a software interface which communicates with radio -> gsm/wcdma (2g/3g)/LTE, basically acts as a base for the main OS to ‘talk-to’ the hardware on the phone [I know this explanation isn’t precise even partly incorrect.. if someone can help me out I will update it]
    This is similar to the "radio" image of the HTC devices.

Build number: [aka firmware version]

This is dependent on which firmware u flash on ur phone and is linked to the baseband version.
    Btw some devs use this field to add their own ‘signature’ to the ROM so if u are using custom ROMs this field might be varying. Though the Baseband version for a particular firmware remains same.

what is firmware?

The firmware is a package containing all the official software for a particular build. It will contain system, kernel & baseband files. Generally the firmware is supplied (on forums) in form of FTF package (a container file ending with .ftf) which can be flashed via FlashTool.

what are the ways to update/repair firmware?

SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service) / PCC (PC Companion) / EMMA are all official ways to update to new or repair existing firmware on your device. SEUS/PCC are available to all users (consumers), EMMA is special and is only available to select individuals. This requires you to connect device to PC and then the software will check for updates and download them over the internet.

Updates can also be sent as FOTA (Firmware over-the-air)/OTA (over-the-air) updates where in you can download and install the updates without the need to connect to PC/any software.

FlashTool is an unofficial user-created tool, but the best way to flash official firmwares. Generally the firmware is supplied in form of FTF package (a container file ending with .ftf) which can be flashed via FlashTool. Thus FlashTool is the easiest way to do offline updates, just download the FTF file, it keep on PC and flash ur device when ever you want to.
    FlashTool

Flashtool is one of the MOST IMPORTANT piece of software for ur phone, it is an unofficial, but the best way to flash official firmwares on both locked and unlocked bootloader devices. Generally the firmware is supplied in form of FTF package (a container file ending with .ftf) which can be flashed via FlashTool. Thus FlashTool is the easiest way to do offline updates, just download the FTF and keep on PC and flash ur device when ever you want to. One can also flash select partitions using FlashTool, say you want to flash baseband(radio) from newer/older firmware but want to keep the main system the same u can do that using newest FlashTool! FlashTool also supports fastboot modes! so if you are not very comfortable with command line then u can use the FastBoot Toolbox inbuilt into FlashTool to fastboot the kernels!

FlashTool can be used to flash both locked and unlocked bootloaders devices.

For all flashtool informations (download links, release notes, FAQ) go to the Flashtool Homepage

As a co-developer of Flashtool I have already added support for the Z1!

we will soon be releasing a official version specifically for Xperia Z1!

Flashtool is on github : FlashTool GitHub repo

[FLASHTOOL GUIDE] HOW TO for n00bies (excellent guide for new users, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! The info for Rooting, Recovery & Bootloader UNlock in that thread is for older Xperia devices...)

i will try n get more links for FlashTool and post it here

Sony also provides an official FlashTool but it can be used only with unlocked bootloader devices
    Bootloader Unlocking & Relocking

[Tutorial] Xperia Z Bootloader Unlocking/Relocking

Latest FlashTool 0.9.10.2beta4 onwards can correctly unlock (official way) and relock device... i recommend using the latest FlashTool version to unlock & relock device...

all question regarding bootloader unlocking, relocking should be posted in relevant thread