MicroSD Format Support

Search This thread

Cassius Away

Aug 15, 2011
Hey guys I have a quick question.
I am about to buy a 64GB microSD card for my Xperia M and I was wondering if anyone knows what are the partition format types the
stock kernel supports. I have the impression that it only supports FAT32, which is kind of a bummer but not a deal breaker for me, but I might be wrong. Also things might have changed with the 4.3 update (which i haven't applied yet because of all the negative comments I read about it).

I have found through personal experience with past devices that as long as the card is formatted correctly the phone will be able to use it despite
the specifications saying otherwise. I have no interest in unlocking my bootloader in order to flash a custom kernel.

Share your knowledge please!

Cassius Away

Aug 15, 2011
64 gig sd cards don't work on Xperia m

Sent from my C2004 using xda app-developers app

Well if you look at this thread i found http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2505383 or any thread about this type of thing on most phones the general consensus is that they do, if formatted in a way that the device recognizes. My question is if the Xperia m only supports FAT32 or if perhaps something has changed with the 4.3 update.

spknair

Mar 10, 2013
Malappuram, Kerala
No 64GB support (exFAT) news in sony websites or their forums.:crying::crying::crying:
So we have to format it to FAT32.
I have been using 64GB card from the first day of usage.
You could format it to FAT32 from your device itself.
At-least we could get more storage space, right? :):):):):):)

I have 2 64GB cards.
SanDISK & Verbatim
Both are UHS1 Class 10 cards.
Actually both had FAT32 file system, when I purchased those

Reactions: Cassius Away

Cassius Away

Aug 15, 2011
Thank you spknair!
I guess I will have to format it in FAT32, which is no big deal, I just wanted to know if there were any other options.

mbc07

Dec 12, 2013
Sony Xperia M
Sony Xperia X
Stock kernel has support for FAT32 and ext2/3/4. Any USB disk or SD Card of any size will work as long as it have one of those filesystems. Also, you may take a look in ext2 if you want to carry files bigger than 4GB in SD Card. However, the card will be readable only in the phone and in Linux OSes...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    64 gig sd cards don't work on Xperia m

Sent from my C2004 using xda app-developers app
    No 64GB support (exFAT) news in sony websites or their forums.:crying::crying::crying:
    So we have to format it to FAT32.
    I have been using 64GB card from the first day of usage.
    You could format it to FAT32 from your device itself.
    At-least we could get more storage space, right? :):):):):):)

I have 2 64GB cards.
    SanDISK & Verbatim
    Both are UHS1 Class 10 cards.
    Actually both had FAT32 file system, when I purchased those