FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Data Partition Size Changer CWM ZIPS

758 posts
Thanks Meter: 294

Post Reply Email Thread
Here's my contribution,

A Friend has a TP that I 'keep upto date' for him, He wanted to get to 4.3, so I've done that, however resizing partitions in HP world just seems a pain. So here's some flashable ZIP's to do the hard lifting for you.

4 versions I'm uploading (shout if you want a different sizing).

First add's 8gb to the data size (ontop of what you have already, just look in the storage system setting option for that info) the second adds 12gb, then 16gb and finally 24gb.

UPDATE - As requested I've uploaded four new ZIP's, these set the System and the Data sizes. The System get's partitioned to the 'standard for 4.3' 512mb, the Data will get set to the relevant size marked in the ZIP.

Just pick the one that matches what you want (obviously don't try the 16 / 24 on the 16gb device! and make sure you have enough 'clean' space before you start)

What I recommend doing is moving everything you can off the old 'SDCard' partition, using Recovery in the tether mode (int the storage menu), once you have removed as much as you can (remember the 'hidden' .???? folders and don't go deleting anything that's WebOs based!)

Then just flash the ZIP you think meets your requirements.

UPDATE - Uploaded the revert scripts, I've not tested them but they should be fine.

Hope that helps.
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to the_ape For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift the_ape Ad-Free

10th October 2013, 06:29 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1,279

More
Service Two way trip
Edit: To revert these changes users can do a full uninstall using the ACMEUinstaller2. This will remove all partition changes and files added when installing Android:

How to Uninstall Android or CyanogenMod on the HP TouchPad (All versions)
In addition Gradular The Ape have created flashable zips that can reverse the partition changes the previous Android state . Find these in the above post and in Gradular's second post in his thread here: How to guide for changing your system, data, and cache partition sizes to whatever you want.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RolandDeschain79 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RolandDeschain79 Ad-Free
10th October 2013, 07:57 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandDeschain79

This is great thank you! A few people have run into problems when moving around data with the tailor, this should totally get around that

I've got to ask, would it be possible to create a reverse of these files? The problem with this setup is that it's a one way trip. If users don't like, or have problems, they'd have to go through the pain of using tailor to rearrange their space again. Being able to add and remove the space with a zip would be a lot more convenient and give users a round trip pass for changing the partition sizes.

Cheers

Shouldn't be an issue, I've obviously not got a TP to play with here, so can't test, and I don't like to put stuff out there that I've not at least done a once over of.

I'll have a look at it tomorrow when I've got access to the device and post a few ZIP's. I'll just do an 'inverse' of the four I've already done so you can undo a change.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the_ape For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift the_ape Ad-Free
10th October 2013, 08:17 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 483

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape

Here's my contribution,

A Friend has a TP that I 'keep upto date' for him, He wanted to get to 4.3, so I've done that, however resizing partitions in HP world just seems a pain. So here's some flashable ZIP's to do the hard lifting for you.

4 versions I'm uploading (shout if you want a different sizing).

First add's 8gb to the data size (ontop of what you have already, just look in the storage system setting option for that info) the second adds 12gb, then 16gb and finally 24gb.

Just pick the one that matches what you want (obviously don't try the 16 / 24 on the 16gb device! and make sure you have enough 'clean' space before you start)

What I recommend doing is moving everything you can off the old 'SDCard' partition, using Recovery in the tether mode (int the storage menu), once you have removed as much as you can (remember the 'hidden' .???? folders and don't go deleting anything that's WebOs based!)

Then just flash the ZIP you think meets your requirements.

Hope that helps.

Quote:

Shouldn't be an issue, I've obviously not got a TP to play with here, so can't test, and I don't like to put stuff out there that I've not at least done a once over of.

I'll have a look at it tomorrow when I've got access to the device and post a few ZIP's. I'll just do an 'inverse' of the four I've already done so you can undo a change.

Great... Guess it would reverse to the ACMEInstaller3 default partitions... If u'r flash resizes the (system) to 512 MiB... I would leave that one alone instead of making it go back to 400 MiB...

What is the breakdown for a 32GB TP using the data_plus_24576mb-signed... Is this about right ???
USB (media) - Depends what size TouchPad u have... (Decreases 112 MiB to be added to the Android (system) partition & Decreases about 23076 to be added to the 1.5 GiB already in the (data) partition)
Android (system) - 512 MiB (Increase of 112 MiB from ACMEInstaller3 400 MiB size OR do u leave it at the 400 MiB size ??? OR does it assume we used the update-cm-tenderloin-system_resize_512-0.4 already ???)
Android (cache) - 200 MiB (Stays at ACMEInstaller3 size)
Android (data) - 24576 MiB
Plan to so some testing how ACMEInstaller3 would handle an update-data_plus_24576mb-signed thru the CMInstall when reconfiguring or coming from a stock TP (before Android & any Recovery is install on the TP)... Any thoughts on this ??? Doesn't work from ACMEInstaller3... Although I did see it run... It didn't change the size of the default partitions that ACMEInstaller3 creates...

Update: Was able to play with the 24576 file... This was the break down of the partitions now..

USB (media) - 1.539 GiB
Android (system) - 400 MiB
Android (cache) - 200 MiB
Android (data) - 25.5 GiB
Unused Space - 16 MiB

So we will need to increase the (system) partition separate using the update-cm-tenderloin-system_resize_512-0.4 file if u'r still @ 400 MiB...
10th October 2013, 10:27 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y314K

Great... Guess it would reverse to the ACMEInstaller3 default partitions... If u'r flash resizes the (system) to 512 MiB... I would leave that one alone instead of making it go back to 400 MiB...

What is the breakdown for a 32GB TP using the data_plus_24576mb-signed... Is this about right ???

USB (media) - Depends what size TouchPad u have... (Decreases 112 MiB to be added to the Android (system) partition & Decreases about 23076 to be added to the 1.5 GiB already in the (data) partition)
Android (system) - 512 MiB (Increase of 112 MiB from ACMEInstaller3 400 MiB size OR do u leave it at the 400 MiB size ??? OR does it assume we used the update-cm-tenderloin-system_resize_512-0.4 already ???)
Android (cache) - 200 MiB (Stays at ACMEInstaller3 size)
Android (data) - 24576 MiB
Plan to so some testing how ACMEInstaller3 would handle an update-data_plus_24576mb-signed thru the CMInstall when reconfiguring or coming from a stock TP (before Android & any Recovery is install on the TP)... Any thoughts on this ??? Doesn't work from ACMEInstaller3... Although I did see it run... It didn't change the size of the default partitions that ACMEInstaller3 creates...

Update: Was able to play with the 24576 file... This was the break down of the partitions now..

USB (media) - 1.539 GiB
Android (system) - 400 MiB
Android (cache) - 200 MiB
Android (data) - 25.5 GiB
Unused Space - 16 MiB

So we will need to increase the (system) partition separate using the update-cm-tenderloin-system_resize_512-0.4 file if u'r still @ 400 MiB...

I've only tested it using cwm 6, and no, my zips dont touch the system size. Forgive my ignorance, but what is ACMEInstaller?
10th October 2013, 11:43 PM |#6  

More
Quote:

I've only tested it using cwm 6, and no, my zips dont touch the system size. Forgive my ignorance, but what is ACMEInstaller?

Using CWM6_tenderloin-20121215 here...

We've all used ACMEInstaller @ the initial setup of Android... It creates the Android partitions & it installs moboot, recovery & rom & gapps... It was the double penguin screen that installed them.. Most of u have not used it since then... You just use the recovery to change things... I've been reconfiguring my TP lately so I've been using it a few times.... More of the exception & not the norm...

U'r flash files only increase size right... It doesn't format anything... Can u do a version of the 24576 file that also changes the (system) partition to 512 MiB... I can test it if u like.. Thanks..
11th October 2013, 12:25 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Using CWM6_tenderloin-20121215 here...

We've all used ACMEInstaller @ the initial setup of Android... It creates the Android partitions & it installs moboot, recovery & rom & gapps... It was the double penguin screen that installed them.. Most of u have not used it since then... You just use the recovery to change things... I've been reconfiguring my TP lately so I've been using it a few times.... More of the exception & not the norm...

U'r flash files only increase size right... It doesn't format anything... Can u do a version of the 24576 file that also changes the (system) partition to 512 MiB... I can test it if u like.. Thanks..

I'll put some that do system together in the morning, I didn't bother as it was already done that way on my friends. And no, it doesn't delete anything, just shunts partitions around.

Oh and yes I do remember ACME now, back in he early days was all done via scripts and terminal, so never played with it as such, think used it once for cm9. But doubt my scripts will run under that as they make use of a lot more than just pure recovery, hats why I recommend at least cwm6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_ape For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift the_ape Ad-Free
11th October 2013, 12:31 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

I'll put some that do system together in the morning, I didn't bother as it was already done that way on my friends. And no, it doesn't delete anything, just shunts partitions around.

Great... Thanks.. Should help for when some CM9 or CM10 folks upgrade to the 4.3 options... Or for those still with just 400 MiB (system)... I myself feel comfortable with Tailor... Which lets u squeeze out every bit of space out of our TP's...
11th October 2013, 03:18 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Great... Thanks.. Should help for when some CM9 or CM10 folks upgrade to the 4.3 options... Or for those still with just 400 MiB (system)... I myself feel comfortable with Tailor... Which lets u squeeze out every bit of space out of our TP's...

UPDATE - As requested I've uploaded four new ZIP's, these set the System and the Data sizes. The System get's partitioned to the 'standard for 4.3' 512mb, the Data will get set to the relevant size marked in the ZIP.

See the OP
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the_ape For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift the_ape Ad-Free
11th October 2013, 05:17 PM |#10  

More
Wink
Quote:

See the OP

Thanks... Gonna try the two largest one's right now... I am guessing if we ever need a special size... We can just manually change the data_plus_24576mb-signed/update/update_script.sh for the data & data_plus_24576mb-signed/update/system_script.sh for the system...

Code:
CHANGE_SIZE=24576
EXTPART="cm-data"
Code:
CHANGE_SIZE=512
EXTPART="cm-system"
11th October 2013, 06:21 PM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1,279

More
Tablet Looking good!
Quote:

See the OP

Thank you for these very helpful packages, great work! This will help a lot of people change their partitions easily. I will test them out once you also post the reverse files so I can try the round trip experience cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to RolandDeschain79 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RolandDeschain79 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)