FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ISSUE] TouchPad Android Wifi Issue Thread

257 posts
Thanks Meter: 107

By bobtidey, Senior Member on 13th February 2012, 12:55 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This thread is intended to be a gathering point for all wifi issues on Android Touchpad ROMs.

Having a separate specific issue thread for this will serve several purposes.
  • Avoid wifi issues getting lost in the more general Touchpad ROM threads.
  • Allow issues common to wifi operation on all the different ROMs to be concentrated in one thread.
  • Reduce annoyance to those who are currently enjoying good wifi operation and who see repetition in the issues being aired.
  • Make it easier to report tests and experience on different set ups and as new drivers / ROM integrations appear.
  • Make it easier for users with questions to see if it has been asked before.

Background
Wifi operation on Android Touchpads currently is a hit and miss affair. Some users report flawless operation regardless of access point. Others can get stable operation with careful set up and / or choice of access point but problematic operation on access points over which they have no control. Others still fail to get conditions right for any form of stable operation.
This is in comparison with WebOS based operation where the problems seem to be much fewer. Probably most of the explanation for this difference is the current lack of suitable drivers integrated into the ROM environment. Hopefully this will be fixed at some point and there are some encouraging signs already that improvements are possible.

Factors affecting operation
There are several factors which could potentially affect the wifi performance with Android Touchpads including the type of Access point, the set up of the Access point, the local signal strength and interference conditions, variations in Touchpad hardware build, and how the ROM software has been installed and set up. A key factor on top of all these is the wifi drivers used and how they are integrated.

General advice
Until the fundamental performance is improved the end user of the Touchpad can do some things to help get better performance particularly if they have control over the Access point. Typically this will be in the home situation. Possibilities for adjusting setting for work or public access points tend to be small or non-existent.

Note that not all suggestions work for everybody affected so you have to be prepared to experiment a little to see what may work for you.

The primary suggestions I offer that worked for me in my home situation is to lower the channel setting on the router to Channel 1 even though for me that was worse from a local interference point of view. Other suggestions include avoiding dual band operation and experimenting with security settings (like using WPA instead of WPA2).

Posting
Please post to this thread if
  • You want to ask Android Touchpad wifi specific questions including problems you are encountering
  • You can answer Android Touchpad wifi specific questions posted here
  • You have reports on specific problems that may help resolve wifi issues
  • You have suggestions on how to improve operation in the short term with existing drivers
  • You have reports on new driver operation either better or worse.

Please also include the ROM and version used in any specific reports. Although wifi issues have been present on 2.3( e.g CM7) and 4.0 (ICS) the focus for development is now firmly on ICS and that is where improvements are likely to be made.

It is unhelpful at this stage just to post here that you do not have any wifi problems unless you have some specific advice on how that can be generally applied. We already know there are many who enjoy good wifi performance.

Currently I am using CherryKANG 0.2a which does have some experimental new drivers in and for me gives much better performance.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bobtidey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bobtidey Ad-Free

13th February 2012, 05:16 AM |#2  
Flag Mt. Pleasant/Oxford MI
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I'm on cm9 alpha 0.6 with stock kernel @1.5 installed with clockworkmod 5.x with a webOS 3.0.5 dual boot. My home router is open (but I use MAC Address blocking to keep the creeps out). My wifi is about 80% on point but will go out about every 24 hours and I have to forget the network, wifi off, power down. Power back up, wifi back on re connect and good for another 24 hours. I noticed if my device "reboots" instead of turning all the way off my wifi WILL NOT connect. How are people doing on cherrykang? Any better?
13th February 2012, 06:54 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochford77

I'm on cm9 alpha 0.6 with stock kernel @1.5 installed with clockworkmod 5.x with a webOS 3.0.5 dual boot. My home router is open (but I use MAC Address blocking to keep the creeps out). My wifi is about 80% on point but will go out about every 24 hours and I have to forget the network, wifi off, power down. Power back up, wifi back on re connect and good for another 24 hours. I noticed if my device "reboots" instead of turning all the way off my wifi WILL NOT connect. How are people doing on cherrykang? Any better?

My experience so far with 0.2a of Cherry has been 60 hours of operation without a wifi issue. This includes about 6 hours on a work network where before the wifi fix in Cherry about the only way I could gt a connection was by moving very close to the access point and it would drop out within 5 minutes of moving away. During that 6 hours with Cherry it found the connection straight away, maintained it all the time and even reconnected automatically when I tried a reboot. I'll report further on this when I have had more time on the work network this week.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobtidey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bobtidey Ad-Free
13th February 2012, 07:08 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafester

Nice post but wrong forum
(@ op)

Which forum are you suggesting this should be in?

I know this is development but this thread was an attempt to pull out all the wifi related questions which are already being posted in the various development threads here. I thought that development was more appropriate as the main intention is to help and encourage the development of wifi to the point where the need for wifi support becomes much less.
13th February 2012, 10:33 AM |#5  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 151

More
Clearing /data/misc/wifi and rebooting makes my touchpad connect to the router without any hesitation, I guess it is similar to forgetting and rebooting(but haven't tried that)

ROM: 0.2a Kang
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elfie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift elfie Ad-Free
13th February 2012, 02:02 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 87

More
ClassicNerd 0.0.4

My home network is a Netgear N600 dual band router with WPA2 security as well as a guest SSID. i connect to the 5G band with no issues with the exception of when I have to reboot. On rebooting if I connect to an access point I have to keep the screen alive for around 10 minutes. After that everything is fine, otherwise the system reboots when the screen goes off.

My work network is an overlapping pervasive network using PEAP authentication. On reboot if I do not shut down with WiFi off my settings get into a state where it refuses to connect, or even try. Forgetting the network and then entering the information again fixes the issue. I also get the sleep reboot if I don't leave the tablet on for a bit of time problem here.

I never have any disconnects that are tablet related on ether network.
13th February 2012, 02:21 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Kang 0.4.8a truly rocks and addresses wifi as I can now connect even when channel is 11!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium
13th February 2012, 03:00 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guho

Kang 0.4.8a truly rocks and addresses wifi as I can now connect even when channel is 11!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium

Thanks for that. I had been holding off switching to 0.4 based on the kernel issue comments but it looks like 0.4.8a is good to go so I'll try that.

I note with sympathy the response you got from your comment in the other thread. Some guys can get very territorial even though all these ROMS are largely based on same open source and rely heavily on the work of some central devs .
14th February 2012, 02:14 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Here is my feedback from 1st full day using CherryKang 0.4.8a in my work environment.

Bottom line is that the wifi fix is giving me a big improvement over previous builds but I don't think is totally problem free.

At the start of the day it found and connected automatically.

Over a 10 hour period it dropped the connection twice after staying connected about 4 hours each time. It didn't reconnect automatically after a drop but required the wifi control to be turned off and then on again to perform the reconnect which it did very rapidly.

This is still a dramatic improvement over before where I struggled to get a connection at all and it would always drop in less than 5 minutes.

To get a better handle on comparative performance I plan to run it under WebOS tomorrow just to get a baseline on how the native tablet performs under the local conditions. I had previously tried out WebOS here and it was stable over the hour or two I had it on but I've never tried it for a full day.

Having said that I also have an ICS Nook Color here which is absolutely rock solid on this access point and has never dropped the connection over several weeks of use so I know its not a fundamental access point issue.
14th February 2012, 07:12 PM |#10  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 143

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtidey

I'm fairly neutral about whether this is better in general or development. My original thinking that it was Android based discussion rather than general chit chat, that the end goal was the 'development' of improved wifi operation, and that it might be better local to much of the ROM discussions where wifi can be a trigger issue..

I was always told that the dev section is for software that you create - ROMs, kernels, tweaks, etc. It's usually something that you need to flash on your device that affects performance or functionality in some way (themes and visual mods are not included however).

Any sort of "Discussion" or any troubleshooting is usually in General or Q&A, since it can usually span across different roms, and/or software settings. No offence to you, as it is sometimes confusing to people exactly what belongs in the dev section. Usually, if it's not something you are flashing on the device, it goes in another section.

That said, I'm running ClassicNerd Butta v1, and have no issues connecting to my 2.4ghz channel on my router, but it won't connect to the 5ghz channel for some reason.

I have a netgear wndr3700 N600 router with dd-wrt firmware flashed on it.

Edit: changed "wireless networking mode" on the 5g channel from "N only" to "Mixed", and I'm now able to connect.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike-y For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mike-y Ad-Free
15th February 2012, 08:14 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Since I just had some pretty bad Wi-Fi issues, I guess I should share what I found and how I fixed it.

I've been using my TouchPad very reliably on my home and work networks. I don't know what channel either are on, but at home I'm pretty sure I've been on an 802.11n access point (5 GHz channel). The router at home is a Netgear WNDR3700 v.1, but after problems with the firmware dropping countless other devices, I installed the dd-wrt firmware and configured it to only be an access point, and I'm relying on another router upstream to provide my DHCP and private network. This configuration has been rock solid for a couple months now, and I've never had to reset the access point since! After I installed CM9 alpha 0.6, I've had maybe 3 or 4 times where I've lost network connectivity on my TouchPad, but other devices continued to work; clearly a problem with the TouchPad in those cases since simply rebooting the TouchPad restores connectivity. I do not stop Wi-Fi before rebooting. This is a reliability I can live with since outages have been quite infrequent and easily fixed.

Currently I'm traveling, and I needed to setup a temporary wireless network. To do so, I used Connectify on an older Windows 7 laptop, and I'm using the Wi-Fi board built into the laptop to share the wired connection I've plugged into it. The wireless board is a Broadcom 802.11g with a BCM43XX chip set. When using Connectify, the wireless board runs on channel 11, with no way to configure it that I can find.

After ~48 hours uptime, I tried to use my TouchPad today and found Wi-Fi was not working. Using "Wifi Analyzer" from the market, I observed the TouchPad could "see" a few different access points, but it was unable to connect to any of them, while I was still able to measure things such as signal strength. Forgetting the network connection and reentering the WPA2 key did not work. Connectify showed that my Nexus S running Android 4.0.3 was still connected, but my TouchPad was "Disconnected." Rebooting the device did not restore Wi-Fi. Shuting down my laptop and rebooting did not restore Wi-Fi, although I observed my Nexus S reconnecting. I then rebooted the TouchPad into WebOS, where I could connect again, but booting back into CM9, I could not reconnect. I then turned Wi-Fi off, and rebooted. After turning Wi-Fi back on, I could see the access points again, but still couldn't connect.

What seemed to finally unstick things was turning Wi-Fi off, setting Airplane Mode on, turning Wi-Fi back on, and when I observed that turning Wi-Fi on was not automatically turning Airplane Mode off, I manually toggled it myself. Almost immediately, Wi-Fi connected.

I believe in my case, toggling Airplane Mode in the future may be a simple fix, but I only have the one data point to go by so far.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to Chinpokomon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chinpokomon Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
touchpad, wifi

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)