Having a separate specific issue thread for this will serve several purposes.
- Avoid wifi issues getting lost in the more general Touchpad ROM threads.
- Allow issues common to wifi operation on all the different ROMs to be concentrated in one thread.
- Reduce annoyance to those who are currently enjoying good wifi operation and who see repetition in the issues being aired.
- Make it easier to report tests and experience on different set ups and as new drivers / ROM integrations appear.
- Make it easier for users with questions to see if it has been asked before.
Wifi operation on Android Touchpads currently is a hit and miss affair. Some users report flawless operation regardless of access point. Others can get stable operation with careful set up and / or choice of access point but problematic operation on access points over which they have no control. Others still fail to get conditions right for any form of stable operation.
This is in comparison with WebOS based operation where the problems seem to be much fewer. Probably most of the explanation for this difference is the current lack of suitable drivers integrated into the ROM environment. Hopefully this will be fixed at some point and there are some encouraging signs already that improvements are possible.
Factors affecting operation
There are several factors which could potentially affect the wifi performance with Android Touchpads including the type of Access point, the set up of the Access point, the local signal strength and interference conditions, variations in Touchpad hardware build, and how the ROM software has been installed and set up. A key factor on top of all these is the wifi drivers used and how they are integrated.
Until the fundamental performance is improved the end user of the Touchpad can do some things to help get better performance particularly if they have control over the Access point. Typically this will be in the home situation. Possibilities for adjusting setting for work or public access points tend to be small or non-existent.
Note that not all suggestions work for everybody affected so you have to be prepared to experiment a little to see what may work for you.
The primary suggestions I offer that worked for me in my home situation is to lower the channel setting on the router to Channel 1 even though for me that was worse from a local interference point of view. Other suggestions include avoiding dual band operation and experimenting with security settings (like using WPA instead of WPA2).
Please post to this thread if
- You want to ask Android Touchpad wifi specific questions including problems you are encountering
- You can answer Android Touchpad wifi specific questions posted here
- You have reports on specific problems that may help resolve wifi issues
- You have suggestions on how to improve operation in the short term with existing drivers
- You have reports on new driver operation either better or worse.
Please also include the ROM and version used in any specific reports. Although wifi issues have been present on 2.3( e.g CM7) and 4.0 (ICS) the focus for development is now firmly on ICS and that is where improvements are likely to be made.
It is unhelpful at this stage just to post here that you do not have any wifi problems unless you have some specific advice on how that can be generally applied. We already know there are many who enjoy good wifi performance.
Currently I am using CherryKANG 0.2a which does have some experimental new drivers in and for me gives much better performance.