[Q] Conversion to GPE led to eternal boot loop. Fix?

Search This thread

Sari95

Apr 12, 2012
Hi! I tried to convert my M7 to a GPE with OTAs, but this did not succeed. After that I tried to simply revert it back to stock, this also failed and I am now at a state where the phone boots up, as usual, to the homescreen, but turns off after 3 seconds only to repeat the process. I believe this to be a sort of boot loop.

I have tried pretty much everything I could think of. I tried using ADB, but found out that USB debugging is not on and I am not able to turn it on because of the boot loop.

I tried flashing the GPE.zip and stock GPE recovery in order to "start fresh", but this does not seem to have any effect.When flashing the GPE.zip I get the error: FAILED (remote:99 unknown fail). However, when flashed stock recovery it seems to succeed, but just as the CWM/ TWRP recovery, I am not able to access it, because it turns off and begins the boot loop.
I then tried flashing Cyanogenmod and CWM/ TWRP, but this did not do anything either. Tried to simply do a factory reset through the bootloader, nope.

My current state is S-ON, Bootloader Unlocked and the only way to interact with the phone is fastboot, because I can't access ADB in order to S-OFF...

So my first question is whether there is a way to S-OFF through fastboo? Since every thread and site I read requires ADB, which I cannot access.

If not.. What to do :p?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
I tried using ADB, but found out that USB debugging is not on and I am not able to turn it on because of the boot loop.
ADB is only usable from a booted OS or from custom recovery. In bootloader mode, you can only use FASTBOOT.

I tried flashing the GPE.zip and stock GPE recovery in order to "start fresh" but this does not seem to have any effect.When flashing the GPE.zip I get the error: FAILED (remote:99 unknown fail).
Wait, what is that GPE.zip file? A rom? A ruu? How did you tried to flash it? from recovery? using fastboot?

However, when flashed stock recovery it seems to succeed, but just as the CWM/ TWRP recovery, I am not able to access it, because it turns off and begins the boot loop.
When you flash the recovery partition, also erase cache and reboot the bootloader before attempting to boot in recovery mode. Also make sure the recovery you are flashing is compatible with you variant (i.e M7_UL)

I then tried flashing Cyanogenmod and CWM/ TWRP, but this did not do anything either.
How? define "did not do anything either" any error message?

Tried to simply do a factory reset through the bootloader, nope.
factory reset only wipe /data of the rom currently installed on your phone, this will not magically revert all the mess you did ;)

My current state is S-ON
You must be S-OFF to convert to GPE !!

Bootloader Unlocked and the only way to interact with the phone is fastboot because I can't access ADB in order to S-OFF...
you need a working rom to s-off. and again adb only works from recovery. Also from a booted OS with usb debugging ON

So my first question is whether there is a way to S-OFF through fastboo?
No

If not.. What to do :p?

1. flash a sense based rom (doesnt require s-off)
  2. achieve s-off
  3. flash a gpe rom and do the full conversion (i.e with a GPE ruu)

never s-on and never relock your bootloader when converted to gpe or say goodbye to your phone ;)

Sari95

Apr 12, 2012
ADB is only usable from a booted OS or from custom recovery. In bootloader mode, you can only use FASTBOOT.

Wait, what is that GPE.zip file? A rom? A ruu? How did you tried to flash it? from recovery? using fastboot?

When you flash the recovery partition, also erase cache and reboot the bootloader before attempting to boot in recovery mode. Also make sure the recovery you are flashing is compatible with you variant (i.e M7_UL)

How? define "did not do anything either" any error message?

factory reset only wipe /data of the rom currently installed on your phone, this will not magically revert all the mess you did ;)

You must be S-OFF to convert to GPE !!

you need a working rom to s-off. and again adb only works from recovery. Also from a booted OS with usb debugging ON

No

1. flash a sense based rom (doesnt require s-off)
  2. achieve s-off
  3. flash a gpe rom and do the full conversion (i.e with a GPE ruu)

never s-on and never relock your bootloader when converted to gpe or say goodbye to your phone ;)

Thanks for answering! I am now stuck at the first step :l I believe I've found the correct stock RUU for my device, HTC One M7 bought in Norway, but when I try to download it from htc1guru.com, it downloads a little bit and stops. I am not able to download the full .zip file in order to flash it. I have tested to see if it has anything to do with my internet connection to do, but it doesn't have anything to do with it.

I am now downloading Android Revolution for M7, hoping that it will work....

Do you know if this issue with htc1guru.com is common or not?

Btw, I think it is best if I explain to you the whole process:
1. I downloaded a google play Edition RUU.zip that I could flash to convert the device into GPE.
2. Unlocked and S-OFF'd the device, then I flashed the RUU.zip. After these steps, I had a GPE device. However, the RUU I downloaded was Kitkat 4.4, which I thought would automatically update to 4.4.3. This did not happen.
3. I read more and understood that my CID and modelid had to be changed to CID: GOOGL001 and modelid: PN0712000, and so I did. I did not take note of my original CID, of course, so I don't know what that was :/
4. After having changed those settings, I once again tried to update it with OTA, as one would do with a GPE device, without any luck.
5. Reading on, it became clear that the device had to have stock recovery, which I downloaded and flashed. Once again, no luck with the OTA update. After this point, I gave up the GPE dream and decided to return to stock.
6. Then I read a tutorial to return back to stock, which told me to lock the bootloader and S-ON in order to flash the stock rom. This is did, but the process failed and I was left with a device booting up to homescreen, turning off and on in this endless boot loop.

Hope this helps to clarify my situation :)

Last edited:

alray

May 22, 2012
6. Then I read a tutorial to return back to stock, which told me to lock the bootloader and S-ON in order to flash the stock rom. This is did, but the process failed and I was left with a device booting up to homescreen, turning off and on in this endless boot loop.

Well, I don't know where this tutorial was from, but you don't have to s-on to flash a ruu., you don't even need to relock bootloader to flash a ruu when you have s-off. Never S-ON back unless you absolutely must (sending phone for repair under warranty).

post a fastboot getvar all

are you still able to unlock bootloader?

Sari95

Apr 12, 2012
Well, I don't know where this tutorial was from, but you don't have to s-on to flash a ruu., you don't even need to relock bootloader to flash a ruu when you have s-off. Never S-ON back unless you absolutely must (sending phone for repair under warranty).

post a fastboot getvar all

are you still able to unlock bootloader?

Yeah... stupid of me not to read several tutorials before trying to return to stock :l

My getvar all:
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.54.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.21.3218.21
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0710000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4086mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-5d4c562c
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.055s

I believe I am able to unlock bootloader, yes. A picture is attached, which shows my current bootloader.

alray

May 22, 2012
no luck with the OTA update. After this point, I gave up the GPE dream and decided to return to stock.

with s-off, you can download and flash ota update manually.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Yeah... stupid of me not to read several tutorials before trying to return to stock :l

My getvar all:
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.54.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.21.3218.21
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0710000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4086mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-5d4c562c
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.055s

I believe I am able to unlock bootloader, yes. A picture is attached, which shows my current bootloader.

thats a good thing you can unlock the bootloader again! many GPE users a stuck with unlockable bootloader with hboot 1.55+.
was you able to flash arhd? Then s-off the phone again and run the ruu you want again (stock or gpe)

Sari95

Apr 12, 2012
with s-off, you can download and flash ota update manually.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

thats a good thing you can unlock the bootloader again! many GPE users a stuck with unlockable bootloader with hboot 1.55+.
was you able to flash arhd? Then s-off the phone again and run the ruu you want again (stock or gpe)

If by ARHD you mean Android Revolution HD, then no, I am not able to flash it. I get the error : FAILED (24 parsing failure), then nothing happens.

I also tried flashing stock Rug, but since I've changed my CID to CWS__001, while my MID is P0712000, they are in conflict and the RUU doesn't work either. Tried editing the info - Android. The, but no luck there either

alray

May 22, 2012
If by ARHD you mean Android Revolution HD, then no, I am not able to flash it. I get the error : FAILED (24 parsing failure), then nothing happens.

I also tried flashing stock Rug, but since I've changed my CID to CWS__001, while my MID is P0712000, they are in conflict and the RUU doesn't work either. Tried editing the info - Android. The, but no luck there either

please post a picture when you got the FAILED error when attempting to flash arhd

alray

May 22, 2012
ok.. so I tried flashing it now, there's a different error.

ok.... so you are trying to flash a rom from fastboot :confused:

with fastboot, you flash recovery, ruu, and firmware only.

roms are flashed from custom recovery... not with fastboot

maybe you should have answered the question above from post #2:

I tried flashing the GPE.zip and stock GPE recovery in order to "start fresh" but this does not seem to have any effect.When flashing the GPE.zip I get the error: FAILED (remote:99 unknown fail).

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

push the rom to your sdcard and flash it using twrp 2.6.3.3

Sari95

Apr 12, 2012
ok.... so you are trying to flash a rom from fastboot :confused:

with fastboot, you flash recovery, ruu, and firmware only.

roms are flashed from custom recovery... not with fastboot

maybe you should have answered the question above from post #2:

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

push the rom to your sdcard and flash it using twrp 2.6.3.3

Sorry about that. The only recovery I have been able to flash is this one from this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2739126 . All "normal" CWM/TWRP recoveries will not boot up.

I just flashed ARHD, but when the Aroma installer finishes and I reboot the system this happens:
1. Screen turns off, then on.
2. A Google logo appears, turns off
3. Google logo appears, boots into the recovery I mentioned above

Any idea what this means?

alray

May 22, 2012
I do not, no, but after trying the usual CWM/ TWRP, the only recovery that actually would boot up was this one.

well try to download twrp 2.6.3.3 again from here
check md5: 72067aefb69541d40e8420d7aa46408d

Code:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

then try to boot the recovery

Sari95

Apr 12, 2012
well try to download twrp 2.6.3.3 again from here
check md5: 72067aefb69541d40e8420d7aa46408d

Code:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

then try to boot the recovery

All right, so now I am able to boot into proper TWRP through the steps, even though I have done the exact ones before :p anyway, I flashed ARHD again, but still no luck, as it does the same.
"1. Screen turns off, then on.
3. Google logo appears, boots into the recovery I mentioned above"

alray

May 22, 2012
All right, so now I am able to boot into proper TWRP through the steps, even though I have done the exact ones before :p anyway, I flashed ARHD again, but still no luck, as it does the same.
"1. Screen turns off, then on.
3. Google logo appears, boots into the recovery I mentioned above"

have you wiped when you have flashed arhd?

and have you checked md5 value of the rom before flashing it?