anonymous93

Jan 13, 2013
:( I got the following:
erasing cashe before SD update...
SD update cmd: recovery
--update_package=sdcard:update.zip
booting recovery kernel image
RECOVERY VERIFIED FAILED...

Do I try step 2 in post 2? If so what do I do with the tdv4 file?

ETA: I think I need to be able to connect my tablet to computer at this point. If that's the case I have been unable to find my cable. I'll have to hunt it down or buy a new one. Thank you so much for your help so far.

Last edited:

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
To Run EUU'S or tdv4 you must have yr cpuid. ..see cpuid guide.

There are other update.zips u can try...This one is a international version, u may need a different one.
Recovery verified failed error usually fixed by running patched bootloader v8 to get cwm ..... u will need cpuid!!

What lead up to yr problems. .wot rom and bootloader were u on...did u have cwm...few more details will help!!°

Seont from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

anonymous93

Jan 13, 2013
To Run EUU'S or tdv4 you must have yr cpuid. ..see cpuid guide.

There are other update.zips u can try...This one is a international version, u may need a different one.
Recovery verified failed error usually fixed by running patched bootloader v8 to get cwm ..... u will need cpuid!!

I don't have my cpuid at this point. It looks like I'll have to use step 9 from your cpuid post to get that. Assuming I can get my tab into apx mode. Still have to find/buy my connection cable.

In the meantime, I'll keep trying other update.zips. I didn't realize that if one didn't work another one might.
What lead up to yr problems. .wot rom and bootloader were u on...did u have cwm...few more details will help!!°

I was on the stock rom, it was just rooted using that easy root method. I have no idea what bootloader or if I had a cwm. I wish I could give more details. It was working fine, but I just wanted to go back to an unrooted device. I had tried loading an update.zip or two but it didn't work. Tablet was still working though. Then yesterday I tried the volume+/power and switching the screen lock switch. That's when the tablet no longer would boot up. It gets hung up on the flashing "android" loading screen.

If I ever get this fixed I sure won't be messing with it again.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
I don't have my cpuid at this point. It looks like I'll have to use step 9 from your cpuid post to get that. Assuming I can get my tab into apx mode. Still have to find/buy my connection cable.

In the meantime, I'll keep trying other update.zips. I didn't realize that if one didn't work another one might.
The 3.1 in the post is a nz/Australia ota version. ..not really different just helps with updating via ota. It should still work for what we want it to do.
I was on the stock rom, it was just rooted using that easy root method. I have no idea what bootloader or if I had a cwm. I wish I could give more details. It was working fine, but I just wanted to go back to an unrooted device. I had tried loading an update.zip or two but it didn't work. Tablet was still working though. Then yesterday I tried the volume+/power and switching the screen lock switch. That's when the tablet no longer would boot up. It gets hung up on the flashing "android" loading screen.

If I ever get this fixed I sure won't be messing with it again.

Do u mean the Blue android boot animation?
When you did the rotation lock thing, did it display any text on screen...erasing user data and cache.?...think I'd be trying it again..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Black Screen - power light on, post 3 above...it's not stuck, only waiting for input from you! Via the command line using nvflash!

ayamjago

Mar 28, 2011
Black Screen - power light on, post 3 above...it's not stuck, only waiting for input from you! Via the command line using nvflash!

ok so i finally able to root using the timmydean and i'm on rooted stock HC but... that's A500 HC *grins* mine is A501

then i tried to flash the A501 rom, but stucked at acer logo. is this because of A500 HC recovery and my trial to use A501 rom? how do i get out of this now?

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Edit:
Either flash the v8 bootloader to install a ics or jb rom..or use an hc rom if u want to stay with hc

ayamjago

Mar 28, 2011
Edit:
Either flash the v8 bootloader to install a ics or jb rom..or use an hc rom if u want to stay with hc

umm... sorry for more noob question.
so i can flash the V8 using the apxflash? i don't need to be able to get pass the acer logo to flash V8 right? i just need the apx mode. then i can flash the a501 ICS rom (is there a a501 jelly bean rom out there?)

thanx for the patience, miss dibbz

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
It's worth a go (apx mode) as long as apxflash tool recognizes the tab u should be good... just remember not to get yr roms and bootloader mixed up. The v8 is ics/jb only. HC bootloader is HC rom only.
Have yr rom on yr ext. sd, as soon as you have the v8 on there, boot straight to cwm and flash it.
The only difference between a500 and a501 is 3g...The roms themselves are basically the same.
Hopefully you should be all good:)

Reactions: ayamjago

ayamjago

Mar 28, 2011
It's worth a go (apx mode) as long as apxflash tool recognizes the tab u should be good... just remember not to get yr roms and bootloader mixed up. The v8 is ics/jb only. HC bootloader is HC rom only.
Have yr rom on yr ext. sd, as soon as you have the v8 on there, boot straight to cwm and flash it.
The only difference between a500 and a501 is 3g...The roms themselves are basically the same.
Hopefully you should be all good:)

so i will follow this guide for nvflash http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1773323
then when it's done, on the first restart i go to recovery to flash the rom

HOREEEEEE

thank you for the patience once again... you have done a very good deed indeed

Last edited:

anonymous93

Jan 13, 2013
I don't have my cpuid at this point. It looks like I'll have to use step 9 from your cpuid post to get that.

I've got my cpuid & sbk, finally. :)

It looks like the next step is to use tdv4 and(or?) nvflash to flash a rom to my tablet while it's in apx mode. Is the APX flash tool link in your sig the steps I should be following?

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
I've got my cpuid & sbk, finally. :)

It looks like the next step is to use tdv4 and(or?) nvflash to flash a rom to my tablet while it's in apx mode. Is the APX flash tool link in your sig the steps I should be following?

Yep tdv4 to downgrade to HC...or the ics v8 bootloader with apxfkash tool....Prolly better for u to run babsector file to reset the partition system on yr tab...then flash yr rom

Reactions: anonymous93

anonymous93

Jan 13, 2013
Ok I've done these:
How to use babsector -

Turn your tab off and put it in apx mode manually. Press and hold reset button, hold power for 3 secs after the light comes on and release it, after another second release the reset button. Your screen is black and the power light is on.

Download and extract the .rar to a folder on your PC
Connect your tab to your PC
Navigate to the babsector folder and click on 501 A.bat
Reboot into recovery
Go to Mounts and Storage and Format System twice and Power Off
Go back into apx mode and run 501 B.bat

I have questions about the next step:
Reboot into recovery and do the wipes and flash your rom
Reboot!!!

By "do the wipes" do you mean format system twice again?
And I have no idea how to flash a rom. Is there a post somewhere that shows how or will there be instructions once I do the format?
I downloaded the euus from your post, that should be extracted like the babsector file correct?

Edit: According to this link you provided http://www.acertabletforum.com/forum/acer-iconia-tab-a500-help/5516-problems-iconia-a500-2.html It looks like I load the euu rar file onto external sd card, boot into recovery and Choose install zip file from SD Card. This thread doesn't say anything about formatting the system again though. Do I format after I run the 501b.bat? And then after I format (if I do) I don't restart the tab correct? I just install at that point?

Sorry for all the noob questions, I'd rather do it right the first time than mess it up and have to start all over.

Last edited:

anonymous93

Jan 13, 2013
I DID IT!!

I did not format it at the second step (let me know if I should have and what I should do), I downloaded a full zip rom and installed it and it's working! I'm so glad to have my tablet back! Now to get all my apps and settings back.

THANK YOU for your help Nibb!

Reactions: dibb_nz

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
I DID IT!!

I did not format it at the second step (let me know if I should have and what I should do), I downloaded a full zip rom and installed it and it's working! I'm so glad to have my tablet back! Now to get all my apps and settings back.

THANK YOU for your help Nibb!

Lol, yay pleased u got it...If u haven't done a full data wipe then do so before u stick all yr apps etc...happy tabbing:thumbup:

appple

Oct 12, 2012
Hi, Dibb

My Acer Iconia A500 has been working very well since you helped me 5 month ago (see first 2 pages of this thread)
Two days ago the screen was frozen, I turned it off by holding the power button, since then, I can not reboot the tab, it hangs at booting primary kernel image.

I have Skrilax_CZ V8 bootloader, CWM recovery 1.7.3, and the Flex-Resurrection_Rev1-Aroma-Public Rom.
-----------------------
I searched here, tried the methods you mentioned

"Boot to recovery, and this time, do all your wipes
Wipes Menu
a. wipe Data/factory reset
b. wipe cache
c. wipe Dalvik

Go to Mounts and storage
a. Format system
b. Format Flexrom

Install rom, and make sure it's a rom with an ICS kernel.

As a last chance if the above normal things don;t work,

you may have corrupted data somewhere, and in this case, go to Backup and Restore and toggle Data Media."
------------------------
And tried use fastboot
"You can also wipe userdata from fastboot: "fastboot erase userdata, fastboot erase cache
-----------------------
I did it several times, after installed the Flex Rom, ( I also tried the Lightspeed_4.8,) it still stuck on the booting primary kernel image, What should be my next step?

I also tried to wipe the cache, data, Dalvik again after the Rom installation.

I saw somewhere you mentioned that re-flash the BL, recovery.img, not sure if I should try. I do have the CPUID and SBK numbers.

Thanks for your help, and anyone else out here.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
umm... sorry for more noob question.
so i can flash the V8 using the apxflash? i don't need to be able to get pass the acer logo to flash V8 right? i just need the apx mode. then i can flash the a501 ICS rom (is there a a501 jelly bean rom out there?)

thanx for the patience, miss dibbz

Yes you are correct, apx mode is all you need for the v8.....can't help with 501 jb rom tho not sure bout that sorry

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Post 1: Rooting, Flashing:
    - To install an ICS or JB rom you NEED skrilax_cz unlocked bootloader
    - Flashing the skrilax_cz bootloader and custom recovery
    - Updating or Flashing a different recovery
    - ics root methods

Post 2: How to use an update.zip Method
    - Fix "Stuck on Acer Logo"
    - Revert to stock

Post 3:How to unbrick your Tab...nvFlash Method
    - Fix "nvFlash partition errors" with "babsector.rar"
    - timmydeans EUU root tool- Repairing "Stuck in apx mode"
    - Running nvFlash from the command line
    - Archived nvFlash files and original threads
    - How to use fastboot

Please read carefully and thoroughly all the steps before you start...if something is not clear then feel free to ask...its easy to softbrick your tab and not as easy to unbrick it...

You will need your CPUID - this cannot be said enough!!! Please do not attempt any flashing until you have a copy of it stored safely!!!

Bear in mind - installing custom roms and a recovery IS NOT DONE the same way as on your phone or other android device!!!

You must install the "skrilax_cz unlocked v8 bootloader" to install a custom rom/recovery

There is alot that can go wrong and you will need to follow the directions to the letter.

If you are stuck with the acer logo on boot or faced with a dead android or a recovery verified failed, when booting to recovery
    then you have not followed the correct procedure and at the very best will need to do this all over again.

Before you go any further and while you can still boot into your tab - please retrieve your CPUID - see my guide here

Summary of Steps to flashing the skrilax_cz unlocked bootloader and custom recovery using nvFlash

Step 1. Install the Acer Drivers here and the USB drivers from the Android SDK here

Step 2. Retrieve your CPUID

then head to blackthund3rs site to generate your sbk

dibb_nz said:
    How To Retrieve Your CPUID

Gersma's AfterOTA Lite retrieves all your ID's and saves them to a text file get it here

From a working system in /sys/firmware/fuse/acer_cpuid
    Step 3. If you are running factory stock - you will need to rename or delete "the boot.p file" in /system to prevent your custom recovery being overwritten
    - Use blackthund3rs ICSRoot here which will rename "the boot.p file" for you

- Have your Custom Rom downloaded and copied to your External SD Card ready to install immediatelyafter flashing skrilax's patched bootloader

- You are now ready to proceed with the "installation" you will also be asked to choose a Custom Recovery (CWM, TWRP,or Public)

Step 4. There are a couple of ways of doing this, manually or with one of the Auto Tools

- civato's manual nvFlash download and Guide and a walkthrough here
    - Download gersma's afterOTA Tool if you have OTA'ed to ICS
    - Download blackthund3rs apxFlash Tool and a walkthrough here

Step 5.To Manually Enter APX Mode
    To get into APX mode, power off the tab.
    Then, press the reset button (use a paper clip).
    While still holding reset, hold power for 3 seconds.
    Then, release power. Release reset after 1 more second.
    The screen will be blank, but you are in APX mode (the power light should be on).

Once the flash is complete, boot directly to Recovery, Do a Wipe and Format and install your Rom!!

Moscow Desire said:
    When you boot to CWM Recovery, you have a menu item "Wipes"

In Wipes;
    1. Data/Factory Reset (don't worry, it skips your photos and such)
    2. Cache
    3. Dalvik Cache

Wait, you're not finished.

Go back to the previous menu, and select "Mounts and Storage".
    1. Format System
    2. Format Flexrom

NOTE: You may need to do a FULL WIPE AND FORMAT - to do this, enter recovery
    In CWM select "Backup and Restore"
    click on "Toggle backup and restore of internal storage (/data/media)"
    should say enabled....
    from the main menu select "Mounts and Storage" and "format /data"
    this will REALLY format data and all your data and settings will be lost.

I have the unlocked bootloader: how do I update or change my recovery?

Only a few custom recovery's are compatable with ICS Custom roms, I've attached these to this post and they need to flashed via fastboot

Via Recovery:
    There are some flashable zips around so copy the zip to your external sd or flash drive
    boot to recovery and choose:
    Install from zip option
    Navigate to the zip and flash!!

Via fastboot see Post 3 for using fastboot

Use Acer Recovery Installer from the playstore

Please note again this is only possible with the unlocked bootloader

I'm on a stock rom, How do I root, I don't want a custom rom or recovery?

If you're happy with Acers Stock Rom?? and just want root, there are a couple of options:

blackthund3rs icsRoot.zip in Step 3 above - extract and run the .exe...Done
    Original thread [ROOT] Stock ICS Leak One-Click Root Tool

For those wanting to root manually ZeroNull's method Full root for A50x ICS 4.0.3[LEAK]. Simple method.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

if links arent working or you think something needs to be added or changed
    please pm me...
    if you're having troubles feel free to ask, I'll do my best to help:)
    ...thanx all
    When Things Go Bad....How to unbrick

Download Links to Unbrick your Tab

1. update.zip method using HC 3.1_Full_Update.zip

Notes on use:
    - rename the zip to "update.zip" and flash either using cwm or "pwr/volume down"
    - you can flash the v8 bootloader from HC 3.1 if you want to ---
    - You can restore a nandroid backup or flash an HC rom from here too, first you need to rootby installing iconiaroot then flash a custom recovery using Acer Recovery Installer
    - oh how easy it all was on HC 3.1
    - es File Explorer download here

Use this update.zip for any of the following:

- You do not have your cpuid
    - You are stuck on the "Acer" Logo
    - Your tab boots past the Acer Logo but then boot loops at the boot animation
    - You are on the old HC bootloader /ICS Rom combination
    - You wish to return to factory stock, and OTA all the way to Stock ICS

You CANNOT use the update.zip method if:

- You are stuck in apx mode
    - You have unsuccessfully nvflashed skrilax_cz unlocked bootloader or timmydeans root tool-tdv4
    - You have boot verified failed error

(Please see the EUU/nvFlash Method below to repair these issues)

HC 3.1 FULL_update.zip

2. nvFlash/apx/EUU method

you MUST use this if:

- the update.zip has not worked for you
    - you do not have an external sd_card
    - flashing the unlocked bootloader has failed
    - your partitions are screwed up

timmydeans root tool -tdv4- will reset partitions, and downgrades you to a pre-rooted HC3.2.1 with cwm 1.7

To Downgrade using tdv4:

1. Do not connect your tab to your pc
    2. Run the tool till you see the window telling you to put yr tab in apxmode
    3. Put your tab in MANUAL apx mode using the button combo
    4. Connect your tab to your pc now
    5. Let the tool continue - you should see the big white PASS when its done!

BABSECTOR.RAR

babsector.rar download here - will reset partitions when tdv4 will not work for some reason
    How to use babsector -

Turn your tab off and put it in apx mode manually. Press and hold reset button, hold power for 3 secs after the light comes on and release it, after another second release the reset button. Your screen is black and the power light is on.

On your PC:
    Download and extract the .rar to a folder on your PC
    Connect your tab to your PC
    Navigate to the babsector folder and click on 501 A.bat

On your tab:
    Reboot into recovery power/volume DOWN - (closest end to the power button)
    Go to Mounts and Storage Menu and
    Format - System, Data, Flexrom, Cache
    Then flash your ICS/JB rom, power off.

Go back into apx mode and run 501 B.bat
    Reboot into recovery and do the wipes
    Reboot!!!

Official Acer a500 EUU 3.0.1 EUUs_SBK_Acer_A500_1.016.05_COM_GEN1.rar

3. Stuck with Black Screen and Power LED Light is on

This can happen "just like that" for no particular reason or after an OTA - if this is the case, its more than likely caused by a faulty memory chip on the motherboard - the ONLY fix for this is a replacement m/b from Acer..

Most likely though it happens by trying to flash a recovery or bootloader via Custom Recovery or a Rom Manager or Acer Recovery Installer - the first time bootloader flash must be done using nvFlash - OR if you've tried to flash BEFORE your tab has entered "Acer Download Mode" as displayed on your tabs screen

If you are using one of the auto flash tools and the tool seems to get somewhere - do not carry on -

1. use "safely remove hardware" icon in the PC system tray to eject the "APX Device"
    1a. if there is no apx device listed here - then you need to install the drivers correctly then try the flash again...
    2. next close the tool down and disconnect the usb cable
    3. reboot both tab and PC
    4. Once you;re back in windows connect your usb cable to your tab
    5 Check the Acer-Picasso boot/recovery driver has installed
    6. Proceed with the flash again
    Getting out of APX Mode

If worse comes to worse and you are definitely stuck in APX Mode then download the archived file nvFlash.zip which will only flash the v2 unlocked bootloader - to flash a recovery image you'll need to download one and copy it to the nvflash folder.

1) extract "nvFlash" to C:\nvflash
    2) pwr your tab OFF and ensure the Pwr LED lite is off
    3) Manually put your tab in APX Mode
    4) Connect your micro usb cable to your PC
    5) Ensure your PC lists an "apx device"
    6) Open a command prompt on C:\nvflash
    7) Follow the steps below from vache:

launch this to load bootloader :

Code:
    nvflash --bct bct.bct --setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile flash.cfg --odmdata 0x300d8011 --sbk [B]MYSKB[/B] --sync

Of course, change MYSBK with yours.

Next, flash the bootloader :

Code:
    nvflash -r --format_partition 4
    nvflash -r --download 4 bootloader.bin

If you want to flash a recovery :

Code:
    nvflash -r --format_partition 6
    nvflash -r --download 6 myrecovery.img

or a new boot :

Code:
    nvflash -r --format_partition 7
    nvflash -r --download 6 myboot.img

To leave APX mode :

Code:
    nvflash -r --go

Archived Files:
    These files are the ones civato packaged for the "v8 unlocked bootlader.zip"

Original nvFlash zip files from "vache" and

"strra's" original batch file with the v2 bootloader from "skrilax_cz" & cwm 1.7.2 -

and the original nvFlash guide from jm77 from this thread

How to use fastboot

Fastboot works the same as adb by issuing commands from your PC

1. Put your tab in Fastboot Mode - Hold down the Volume UP button and press power button until your tab vibrates
    2. Choose fastboot mode from the menu
    3. Hook your tab to your PC
    4. On your PC navigate to the folder where fastboot.exe/adb.exe are located
    5. Open a command prompt on this folder

Run the following commands
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    it should return a ?

To perform a Hard Reset or FULL WIPE your device

then type in:
    Code:
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot reboot

To flash a "recovery.img"

You'll need an actual recovery.img for this one, I've attached a couple to this post
    These can be found in the unlocked bootloader packages

Copy "name_of_your_new_recovery.img" to your fastboot/adb folder
    Hook up your PC and on your tab enter fastboot mode
    Issue these commands"

Code:
    fastboot devices
    it should return a ?

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery  name_of_your_new_recovery.img
    should say Done
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

quickly hold in the volume down button while it reboots - if you time it right it should boot to recovery...otherwise just power it down then try again

Thanks go to civato, blackthund3r, skrilax_cz, gersma, vache, strra, sp3dev
    Oh dear, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yr tab is one of those with the faulty memory chip. ..There is no way to recover from this, you need a new motherboard. ..you can source one from eBay for around 50 $US...and there have been good reports on these....I'll try to track down some links on how to install. Just give me a day or so, spare time is hard to come by atm...think I have a wiring pdf somewhere too....u might want to post a new thread asking for help from those who have already done this....

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on,

regards dibb

Followed the steps without any issues. Hoever after instaling any custom rom ( tried various combination of recover and ROM) it stays on android logo for very long time. Sometimes android logo is flashing, but the ROM never boots

You do not need to flash a recovery, the v8 bootloader installs cwm for you.
    The steps are:
    Flash bootloader.
    Boot to recovery.
    Full wipe data and cache.
    Flash rom.
    Reboot.

If you reboot before flashing a rom you end up stuck on the Acer screen. To fix this just reflash by follow the steps as above