[TUT]Move All Installed Apps To SD Card

Search This thread

abu amar

Oct 16, 2013
Try finding that option in the security menu in settings or you can google it.It is very easy to find(I am currently on JB and don't remember exactly where it appears in ICS).

Cheers.

Thanks Mr Anivesh93.

Found it... However, my laptop still can't detect my phone when im in cmd prompt. Is it has something to do about me not having HTC Sense??

Dec 14, 2008
Bucharest
1)Download the latest version of Android SDK (which includes adb executable)

2)If you are installing Android SDK on Windows machine, you also need to install USB driver.

ubxOp

3)Connect the phone using USB cable and do not enable USB storage mode.
Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and enable USB debugging.
Make sure you also check install from unknown sources option.

4)Start terminal window on your computer (on Windows: click Start, type “cmd” and press Enter).

5)In the terminal window, navigate to this folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools by default.
Check C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools if you’re using a 32-bit version of Windows.

6)Run the adb devices command and you should see your connected Android device.Enter : adb devices

7)Enter : adb shell pm set-install-location 2
(If this command doesn’t work try using the “old” command: pm setInstallLocation 2)

8)If you want to revert this change later and install apps to the internal storage by default, run this command: adb shell pm set-install-location 0
( 0 represents your device’s internal storage, and is the default. 2 represents the external storage, whether it’s an SD card or USB storage. )

9)If the process is sucessfully completed,you will get a new prompt in the cmd window.Reboot and start moving the apps.

A Warning:Some apps shouldn’t be installed to your SD card and should remain installed on the internal storage. The external storage is unavailable when your Android device is mounted on your computer, so apps that remain running all the time should be left on your internal storage.

PRESS THANKS IF IT HELPED,CHEERS!

Video Link to the tutorial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjfk9lqmdYo&feature=youtu.be

I have a quiestion that has not been asked yet.
You know,some apps,expecialy games, tend to download aditional files for ex RealRacing3,that downloads almost 2GB of aditional file.
By default the download location is on internal sd card.
So in my situation i have :
Internal - 1GB free
Internal SD - 4 GB free
External SD - 30 GB free

I never ever had the internal full, but the internal sd,is always full. Apps,and especially games tend to download all the stuff in the internal sd

Is it possibile set the default location on external sd?

iPusak Gaoq™

Mar 21, 2012
Kuching
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Xiaomi Mi A3
I have a quiestion that has not been asked yet.
You know,some apps,expecialy games, tend to download aditional files for ex RealRacing3,that downloads almost 2GB of aditional file.
By default the download location is on internal sd card.
So in my situation i have :
Internal - 1GB free
Internal SD - 4 GB free
External SD - 30 GB free

I never ever had the internal full, but the internal sd,is always full. Apps,and especially games tend to download all the stuff in the internal sd

Is it possibile set the default location on external sd?

Hmmm...well you cannot set default location cause games like Real Racing only detect internal SD (as it come first) as it storage for its data...you have to mod the games or the best solutions is to swap your internal with your external (external become internal and internal become external).....

akxolo

Sep 10, 2014
SDK trick : Not working on Xolo Q3000... it doesnt show any list of device attached?

Hi Avinesh,

I tried following exactly the same steps as mentioned in your tutorial .. there are several problems, pls help how to resolve this :-

1) Downloaded 354MB huge zip file (adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702.zip) and extracted it onto C:/ drive directly.
2) I didn't follow why u are asking to install USB driver, as my phone directly gets connected to my laptop with usb cable....

NOTE : I think I might be doing mistake here.. Also I am using my friends laptop which has some Admin. control to download hence didnot reload any USB Driver for Xolo Q3000 .... Pl incase if it is required .. pls send me the attchment/url in your reply, as i cannot download or install it. Also, after clicking SDK Manager.exe - a black command window flashes and thats it... it doesn't take inside to check on any reqd. boxes there..

3) Then I connected my phone with usb cable to laptop and set USB bugging tick makred also check install from unknown sources option.
4)Start terminal window on your computer and navigate to this folder : C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702\sdk\platform-tools> adb devices ...
But it just displays : "List of devices attached" and blank and again goto the same command prompt ???

Pl help if i am making any mistakes here or not follwoing the steps properly.....

Pls HELP URGENLY as I am not able to use my new xoloq3000 without enough intenal memory ... I have not major apps running but still my phone pops out message to uninstall some apps to make enough space ?? Its a real pain ...

This phone shows only 0.98GB internal storage and Apps & media content used 684MB but still shows Available Space only 2.9MB ??
Also want to know why do this XOLO cheating customers by claiming 2GB intenal memory when they are only giving 0.98GB to actual use ??

IS there any other way to increase my internal storage from 0.97GB to 2.7 or 4GB internal storage for unwavering performance .. I wont mind even if I have to shrink my phone storage avail from 12.70GB to 8-10GB .... Pls guide as my phone is in warranty I really donot want to root it now but still want a concrete solution to my worries - even Extnl SD card can be a great help ...

Rgds.. Sunny AK (akxolo24414@gmail.com)

sri_shroxsy

Sep 13, 2020
Umm....

Device identified. Get location says 0(auto).
Set location 2 says:
Security exception: Neither user 2000 nor current process has android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS.

Disabled permission monitor, then this.
Security exception: Package android does not belong to 2000

What to do?

Iconium_

May 21, 2023
1|HWPRA-H:/ $ pm set-install-location 2
Error: java.lang.SecurityException: Package android does not belong to 2000
1|HWPRA-H:/ $

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1)Download the latest version of Android SDK (which includes adb executable)

2)If you are installing Android SDK on Windows machine, you also need to install USB driver.

ubxOp

3)Connect the phone using USB cable and do not enable USB storage mode.
    Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and enable USB debugging.
    Make sure you also check install from unknown sources option.

4)Start terminal window on your computer (on Windows: click Start, type “cmd” and press Enter).

5)In the terminal window, navigate to this folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools by default.
    Check C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools if you’re using a 32-bit version of Windows.

6)Run the adb devices command and you should see your connected Android device.Enter : adb devices

7)Enter : adb shell pm set-install-location 2
    (If this command doesn’t work try using the “old” command: pm setInstallLocation 2)

8)If you want to revert this change later and install apps to the internal storage by default, run this command: adb shell pm set-install-location 0
    ( 0 represents your device’s internal storage, and is the default. 2 represents the external storage, whether it’s an SD card or USB storage. )

9)If the process is sucessfully completed,you will get a new prompt in the cmd window.Reboot and start moving the apps.

A Warning:Some apps shouldn’t be installed to your SD card and should remain installed on the internal storage. The external storage is unavailable when your Android device is mounted on your computer, so apps that remain running all the time should be left on your internal storage.

PRESS THANKS IF IT HELPED,CHEERS!

Video Link to the tutorial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjfk9lqmdYo&feature=youtu.be
    Sorry noob Q. Does this install to the external SD? it seems it installs to the sdcard folder on the phone.

There is no internal sd card folder, if you see the folder in a file manager it ever means the "external sd card" cause we have no internal (like on the galaxy nexus or sgs3) ;)

Sent from my SK17i running Jelly Bean via CM10
    There is no internal sd card folder, if you see the folder in a file manager it ever means the "external sd card" cause we have no internal (like on the galaxy nexus or sgs3) ;)

Sent from my SK17i running Jelly Bean via CM10

I meant internal storage....which every phone has(atleast in sony phones.....IDK abt others).....this is where the apps are installed by default
    I used this before I rooted my xperia ray and worked perfectly. Now I just rooted and flashed to CM 10, hope this continues to work( because I saw its actually made for ICS )

If you watched my video,you would have noticed that I've performed the whole procedure on CM10...

It Works !
    Dear kind sir,

Im a total noob on this. So i apologize if my question offends you.

I've been trying this techic but i couldnt make it work. My laptop can seem to detect my device while in cmd prompt.

Im running a HTC HD2 with ICS 4.0.3, and my laptop is a Win 7 Pro 32 bit.
    I've disable the root, enable the USB debugging, Enable ADB over network, and Allow mock location.
    However, i failed to find the "Make sure you also check install from unknown sources option" on the Settings -> Applications MENU...

So how do you advice i go about this???

Try finding that option in the security menu in settings or you can google it.It is very easy to find(I am currently on JB and don't remember exactly where it appears in ICS).

Cheers.