[Q] Does reinstalling stock firmware trip knox on Note 3?

Search This thread

Cootje_NL

Jun 4, 2011
I have a phone which has a lot of problems after the KitKat update.
Now I want to try to reinstall KitKat. Samsung doesn't provide this, so I want to use ODIN and the firmware from SamMobile.
Does anybody know if I will do this that it will trip the Knox counter?

markslo112

Apr 27, 2010
Ljubljana
What if you try to just reset the phone to factory settings? I wouldn't know anything about Knox though. Hope you sort it out. :fingers-crossed:

jaythenut

Sep 6, 2012
Now I want to try to reinstall KitKat. Samsung doesn't provide this, so I want to use ODIN and the firmware from SamMobile.

no it wont

Mirage20uk

Aug 13, 2009
Cairo
it won't trip Knox, i tried it several times as long as they are official roms

1980aksoy

Dec 12, 2013
long as they are official samsung roms you be ok....

Cootje_NL

Jun 4, 2011
I reinstalled my firmware and I can confirm that it indeed won't trip Knox.

As it might be useful I also want to share that updating using my Mac (with VMWare for Windows) gave me a lot of troubles. After using a native Windows laptop the update went fine.

Too bad it didn't solve my problem. Going back to the store to claim my warranty.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
So forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question here but I thought that if I root my Note 3 I will automatically trip the Knox counter, even before I get anywhere near flashing a new ROM - stock or custom. Is that not true then?

You won't trip Knox if you install a KK rom but will if you try to flash bak JB.
Any form of rooting will trip Knox. There used to be safe ways that didn't but with the introduction of the newer bootloaders this is no longer guaranteed...

Have you tried backing up any info you want to keep to a pc then factory resetting, I found KK was a b!tch until I reset it due to old JB data scraps causing issues...

DrHRH

Jan 22, 2008
Nerdville, Tennessee
You won't trip Knox if you install a KK rom but will if you try to flash bak JB.
Any form of rooting will trip Knox. There used to be safe ways that didn't but with the introduction of the newer bootloaders this is no longer guaranteed...

Have you tried backing up any info you want to keep to a pc then factory resetting, I found KK was a b!tch until I reset it due to old JB data scraps causing issues...

I'm on stock 4.3 and not having any issues at the moment - other than my Note 3 not picking up the 4G signal on 3 for some infuriating reason.

So can I flash a stock KK rom without rooting then? I'm probably being thick but thought you had to be rooted to flash any kind of ROM?

I'm on stock 4.3 and not having any issues at the moment - other than my Note 3 not picking up the 4G signal on 3 for some infuriating reason.

So can I flash a stock KK rom without rooting then? I'm probably being thick but thought you had to be rooted to flash any kind of ROM?

You have to be rooted to flash the custom roms provided here and that will mostly be thru recovery. It will surely trip knox. To flash stock roms from sammobile you don't need root. That can be done thru odin.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
I would suggest however, if you are network locked to unlock 1st... If you need to flash a separate modem afterwards this can trip Knox as you aren't really using a "Stock rom"...

Also make sure re-activation lock is OFF.... If you go to Kitkat and you don't have a KK rom yet you are stuck with a softbricked phone until you do get the KK rom... You can't go back to JB after flashing KK rom due to a new bootloader...