Apple iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

_Nomad_

Nov 16, 2006
www.oquinena.com
Just wanted to show what apple just presented. Looks kinda cool :)
Hopefully a worthy adversary to wm5
More info macfeber.se (swedish site)

[edit: guys I'm going to temporarily sticky this. Please don't open new threads. V]

Attachments

• 5543_450.jpg
    5543_450.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 4,018
  • 5550_450.jpg
    5550_450.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 3,371
Last edited by a moderator:

vijay555

Retired Moderator
Jun 4, 2005
Witch Space
www.vijay555.com
My God. Time to change my nappy.

dsc_0199.jpg

dsc_0196.jpg

dsc_0194.jpg

We're shipping them in June -- we're announcing it today because we have to go get FCC approval... we thought it'd be better to introduce this today rather than let the FCC introduce this.
Europe in the 4th quarter of this year, Asia in 2008.

Man, suddenly my Hermes looks like poo :(

V

bobbyelliott

Nov 28, 2006
Glasgow
Apple iPhone announced

Steve Jobs has announced the iPhone.

And the Apple fan boys have started already.

I would imagine that phone manufacturers like HTC will be relieved by the spec since they would have feared a truly innovative product.

As it stands, the iPhone is a poor relation to the TyTN. :)

joe_dude

Oct 30, 2006
Holy freak, that's one sweet design.

HTC better start thinking and not just add a new feature once a year!

tonyb15re

Feb 10, 2006
Blasingsmoke
having just seen this on CNN News (thats all the bloody Germin hotel has in English) I have to say im not overly impressed. the screen looks good, the browser capability is excellent but apart from that theres nothing there that the TyTn cant do, in fact there was no mention of 3G and Video Phone. So what if itll have a decent music player, my SEW850i has a good MP3 player, its a good phone, it has 3G and Vid, browsers crap but hey if you want to look at web stuff use a PC ;)

joe_dude

Oct 30, 2006
Some thoughts... I can't see how it would work for a non-alphabetic language. Hand-writing recognition is easier with a stylus, IMHO.

It seems more like a cool toy. Lots of cool functionality, but limited in its Apple way as usual.

But at least give something for HTC to shoot for. :cool:

hanmin

Retired Moderator
Jan 21, 2006
Devon, UK
darn.. the phone looks very much similar to Windows based type, but much more fancier. With the multi-touch screen that allows you to zoom in by 'spreading' two fingers.. and how the screen change in a scrolling style.. just makes is much.. 'adorable'. And, as with the Apple's history, I think it will have all the stuff that is necessary .. such that there won't be any need for iphone-developers.com :D Again, since i'm on a low budget, it is out of my reach anyway.. good to have cheap and affortable WM version. Hope the Crossbow will do better.. and . . well, at least give us some eye candy?

st3v3

Jun 9, 2006
Melbourne
Redmi Note 9
damn thats some nice hardware ... if that thing didnt have apple "software" on it id prolly look at getting one. yahoo news was saying a retail price of $500 US for the 4 gig version ?

id miss my warez too much :D

T

TheBrit

Now that DOES look nice.

I'm watching BBC News 24 right now and they say that they have a feature about it coming up soon.

It has some nice innovative features but Apple don't seem to be saying too much about the hardware architecture - more specifically the CPU.

raven2000

May 30, 2006
Sydney
My God. Time to change my nappy...Man, suddenly my Hermes looks like poo :(
V

vijay555, unless Apple provides *NATIVE* SDK I won't consider this phone as it means there is no possibility for interesting 3rd party applications (Tomtom is the first that comes to my mind) and I can't create applications.

Widgets are not the same thing as they do not have access to full system resources like Windows Mobile native and to an extent Compact Framework based applications.

Without native SDK this is not a true smartphone but more like Blackberry or a fancy high end phone.

T

TheBrit

It's on BBC News 24 right now...look VERY nice.

IPod - check
Pocket Computer - check
Cell Phone - check
Blackberry? Oh bugger! Well it's what the clueless jouralist said - I do hope he's wrong. Maybe he just mean blackberry-like features.

Last edited:

vijay555

Retired Moderator
Jun 4, 2005
Witch Space
www.vijay555.com
Raven - I'm inclined to agree with you re the SDK. Note, my comment re "defecating on my microphone" is based solely on it's cosmetic appearance.

No one can deny, it's a beautiful piece of engineering. Frankly, I'll probably buy one just to put it down my pants (underwear for those of the US persuasion).

No Windows Mobile manufacturer has come close to achieving the asthetic beauty of Apple engineering (well, except for the black diamond, but that's 600 times more expensive).

I have no doubt the interface work will also be topnotch.

This is not to put down current WinMob hardware. Well, actually it is. Apple has buying power and engineers. I love HTC's manufacturing quality, but Apple is lightyears ahead of the game (well, 5 years according to Steve) in terms of execution. I love my Hermes, but the iPhone looks great.

Whether those of us who rub their hands together at the prospect of modding and enhancing will get much out of it is yet to be seen. I've said before, I buy WinMob because I can program and enhance it. Even with second class hardware, that would still be my first consideration.

However. We are not Apple's market. Apple's market is average buyers who want to switch their bluetooth on and it work. No A2DP, no stutters, no "set as wireless stereo". Switch it on, music comes out of the things on your ears. Those guys will love it. I love it.

However, I have some ideas about bringing some of the goodness home to our phones :)

V

markgamber

Apr 1, 2005
I can't possibly imagine Apple releasing a phone based on OS X, going up against Windows and NOT having at least as full an SDK as WM5. I also can't imagine it'll work as swell as it looks. We're on what generation of WM devices and they're just now starting to get reliable and intuitive.

Time will tell!

But yeah, the kid side of me is more than happy to shell out $600 tomorrow. It's that learning how to write for a new OS that kind of sticks in my throat. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.