[Q] trying to tether my Transformer to HTC hero

Search This thread

seshmaru

Aug 22, 2009
trying to share my HTC heros connection with my transformer but it isn't working. Neither bluetooth or wifi.
Running 2.1 by the way.

Another option is if someone gives me a guide to set up internet sharing from windows 7, which I cannot find for the life of me.

blader3759

Sep 1, 2008
Google bridge connections on win 7. I'm not telling you how to do it. You have to do some of the work yourself :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

seshmaru

Aug 22, 2009
Google bridge connections on win 7. I'm not telling you how to do it. You have to do some of the work yourself :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

googled that before, I can find PC to PC and mostly for windows XP, but nothing on how to create a bluetooth bridge to the transformer ):

case0

Feb 5, 2010
Your hero is rooted right? Mine tethers over Bluetooth fine using 'wireless tether for root users'.

Apr 8, 2011
Running rooted 2.3.3 on the hero, the updated transformer cant see airshare adhoc network. Wirelessteather also failed in the same way.

Wirelessteather does work with bluetooth.:)

neotekz

Oct 7, 2007
Ottawa
trying to share my HTC heros connection with my transformer but it isn't working. Neither bluetooth or wifi.
Running 2.1 by the way.

Another option is if someone gives me a guide to set up internet sharing from windows 7, which I cannot find for the life of me.

can you tether your hero to your laptop? does your phone's wifi hotspot work? it is disabled from some carriers

seshmaru

Aug 22, 2009
wifi hotspot doesnt work but, I've flashed froydvillain (2.2) and gonna give bluetooth tether a try. And nice to see some hero users in here.

davedontmind

Apr 29, 2011
Running 2.1 by the way.

Did you have any success in the end?

My Transformer's just arrived, and I'd like to tether to my rooted Hero, but can't figure it out.

If I choose WiFi mode, the Transformer can't see the Hero in the list of WiFi networks.

If I choose Bluetooth mode, I can pair the devices, but then what? How to I create the network connection? In Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Tethering & portable hotspot I turned on Bluetooth tethering, but it's not clear to me if that's to allow the Transformer to be the hotspot (i.e. server instead of client).

(Running VillainROM v13 on my Hero)

Last edited:

speckledpig

Feb 7, 2007
Mobile, AL
This has been a problem for many of us....it has been discussed in a few other threads also. Honeycomb (by default) won't connect to adhoc wifi networks.

I will donate to anyone who can create a hassle-free turnkey solution for this. Many of us have Android phones that are rooted, so a solution would benefit many. And I am using a Tilt 2, whose Android ROMs do not support BT. So this tethering solution needs to support wifi.

Sent from my Tilt 2 using XDA App

davedontmind

Apr 29, 2011
Success!

I reverted my Hero to the previous ROM I was using, FroydVillain 1.7.2, and now I have Bluetooth tethering working.

Once the devices are paired, on the Transformer screen in the Bluetooth settings, where the Hero shows up, there's a spanner/wrench icon - when I clicked that I got the option to tether to it - this option didn't show up when I was using VillainRom v13.

I may try going back to VillainRom to see if it was something unconnected, such as rebooting the phone, which made the difference.

UPDATE: I went back to VillainRom v13 (Android 2.1) and it still failed to tether with Bluetooth. An Android 2.1 vs Android 2.2 issue, perhaps?

Last edited:

speckledpig

Feb 7, 2007
Mobile, AL
I don't think we should see the "problem" as our phones. The issue is that Honeycomb (whether on the Transformer or Xoom or whatever) does not recognize ad hoc wifi connections. If that is addressed, this will be solved for everyone.

ahmadshawki

Aug 1, 2007
Mansoura
Did you have any success in the end?

My Transformer's just arrived, and I'd like to tether to my rooted Hero, but can't figure it out.

If I choose WiFi mode, the Transformer can't see the Hero in the list of WiFi networks.

If I choose Bluetooth mode, I can pair the devices, but then what? How to I create the network connection? In Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Tethering & portable hotspot I turned on Bluetooth tethering, but it's not clear to me if that's to allow the Transformer to be the hotspot (i.e. server instead of client).

(Running VillainROM v13 on my Hero)
Here is what I did:
1. Disabled the WiFi on Transformer.
2. Enable WiFi-Tether on Phone (with Bluetooth and check the discoverable option in the settings before you start tethering).
3. Enable Bluetooth on Transformer and scan for devices. (If you already have it, unpair it first).
4. Pair with your phone.
5. Press the Wrench icon beside the phone (that says paired but not connected) on Transformer.
6. You will find a new option called Tethering. Press it and you're done.

Agagin, that's what I did and it worked for me perfectly. I have CM7 on my phone.
By the way, this exact method didn't work on my wife's Sprint LG Optimus S. Tried everything, but no way...
Hope this helps...

MACscr

Dec 21, 2009
Here is what I did:
1. Disabled the WiFi on Transformer.
2. Enable WiFi-Tether on Phone (with Bluetooth and check the discoverable option in the settings before you start tethering).
3. Enable Bluetooth on Transformer and scan for devices. (If you already have it, unpair it first).
4. Pair with your phone.
5. Press the Wrench icon beside the phone (that says paired but not connected) on Transformer.
6. You will find a new option called Tethering. Press it and you're done.

Agagin, that's what I did and it worked for me perfectly. I have CM7 on my phone.
By the way, this exact method didn't work on my wife's Sprint LG Optimus S. Tried everything, but no way...
Hope this helps...

I guess Bluetooth is better than nothing, but supposedly there is a hack to get a Xoom to work with ad-hoc, so must be a way to get our Transformers to work with it as well. Guess we just need to play the waiting game. Cant wait to see what options we have in another month. I have the HTC Hero with CM7 and the Transformer, same issues with no tethering, though since im not a bluetooth fan, I really havent tried it yet. Wifi tether works fine with my ubuntu/windows laptops though.

Last edited:

bisto321

Aug 26, 2009
I guess Bluetooth is better than nothing, but supposedly there is a hack to get a Xoom to work with ad-hoc, so must be a way to get our Transformers to work with it as well. Guess we just need to play the waiting game. Cant wait to see what options we have in another month. I have the HTC Hero with CM7 and the Transformer, same issues with no tethering, though since im not a bluetooth fan, I really havent tried it yet. Wifi tether works fine with my ubuntu/windows laptops though.

Ad hoc tether is an issue for droid and lots of info can be found on the net and xda.

I have got a hero running villain rom v13 and can run wifi tether with a modified wpa_supplicant file.

See this post

Download the modded wpa_supplicant file, copy to /system/bin, set the permissions as shown and you can then see and tether to your ad hoc hero:) - dont forget to backup the original file(rename by adding .bak to file and copy to your sd card)

Obviously you need root.

mushypeas

Oct 28, 2010
Can anyone else with a 2.1/eclair and 2.2/froyo device confirm this?

Bluetooth tethering works fine for me using HTC Hero GSM, Wireless tether for root app, rooted using Android 2.2.1, CM6.2 based Elelinux Speedmachine V3. My TF is UK/WW version 8.2.3.13, bluetooth V6.1.2.

Confirmed Ad-hoc wifi doesn't work.