Bricked Asus Transformer TF101 B80 - Tried everything...

Search This thread

bArDBQ

Mar 28, 2012
Quebec City
Hey there,

My Asus Transformer TF101 was working fine yesterday... I recently updated to ICS without any problem. I then rooted my device using viperMOD PrimeTime v4.5. Once again, everything worked without any problem.

After rooting, I ran the V6 SuperCharger script. The device rebooted and everything was fine... Then according to the instructions, I downloaded a modified version of the services.odex file and I replaced the original system file (I did kept the original file by changing the extention to .tmp). This is the last time I've seen my Transformer booting. I did this because of the reply from bsoplinger on this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=991276&page=906

The thing is that I forgot to change the owner:group to root:root and to chmod 644. I believe this is where I failed.

• Asus Transformer TF101 B80
  • Rooted ICS with viperMOD PrimeTime v4.5
  • V6 SuperCharger Script activated (Choose Option #8)
  • Replaced original services.odex with a new "empty" one

Now, when booting it gets stuck on the Asus Logo with the rotating loading circles... they keep rotating forever until the battery is drained out.

This is what I tried:

• Booting with Power button & Volume down then Volume down again (tried Cold boot and Wipe)
  • Booting with Power button & Volume down then Volume up (Recovery)
  • Booting with Power button & Volume up + NVFlash (won't work because it is not a B50-B60-B70)
  • Drained the battery to 0%
  • Put an official firmware update zip file on a microSD and booted with it

So.... this is pretty much it... As of now, I'm out of ressources and I don't know what else I can do... 40$ via Paypal to the first persone who gives me a working solution.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

iesous-kurios

Aug 26, 2009
Spokane
iesouskurios.us
So you can boot into recovery? If you can get into there I'm sure there are ways to fix your bricked device.

Which recovery are you using? If you don't have it already, I'd recommend installing CWM recovery and flashing a new kernal/rom.

There are plenty guides on how to do that, or I can try to walk you through it but if you managed to do that other stuff to your transformer I think you'd be able to follow the current online guides.

Reactions: bArDBQ

bArDBQ

Mar 28, 2012
Quebec City
If you have the original saved on your PC, try pushing it to your TF with ADB

Actually, the renamed original file is only on the internal SD card of the Transformer. I don't have a copy.

I am currently trying to ADB work... I installed the proper APX drivers but I get a message from Windows saying that the ASUS Android MTP Drivers failed to install and all I get from ADB/Fastboot is a "- waiting for device -" message...

I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64bit

bArDBQ

Mar 28, 2012
Quebec City
So you can boot into recovery? If you can get into there I'm sure there are ways to fix your bricked device.

Which recovery are you using? If you don't have it already, I'd recommend installing CWM recovery and flashing a new kernal/rom.

There are plenty guides on how to do that, or I can try to walk you through it but if you managed to do that other stuff to your transformer I think you'd be able to follow the current online guides.

Thanks for your reply. I am new to Android but as far as I know I can only get into the stock Asus recovery mode. I can't get (or don't know how to get into CWN recovery). CWM was supposed to be included in viperMOD PrimeTime v4.5 root but I am unable to boot in it.... I am trying to make ADB/Fastboot work to see if I can launch it from there but so far I can't make it communicate with my device...

When I press Power + Volume Down and then Volume Up, all I get is a green android robot with a black "!" in a red triangle...

iesous-kurios

Aug 26, 2009
Spokane
iesouskurios.us
I had the same issue for a while, on my windows 7, it seems there are multiple things that may be using the same resources you need for this process to work. Try ctr + alt + delete to view running processes, and shut down anything that may be using adb. It is crucial to shut down Asus sync, asus webstorage, etc, as they tie up your adb line when trying these methods.

I had bricked my transformer as well, and all the processes to fix it weren't working because of "waiting for device" messages.

They finally started working once I closed all other programs using adb.

Plus, with nvflash, make sure to unpack the Rom into the folder, rather than just having the rom's zip in the folder.

After fixing the "waiting for device" error, I still couldn't get mine to work because the rom wouldn't flash over as is, I had to take the "Prime" rom's tar located with in nvflash, and extract the files into the same folder.

Once I did that, I ran nvflash, and the rom transfered over fine and I was able to unbrick my device.

iesous-kurios

Aug 26, 2009
Spokane
iesouskurios.us
Thanks for your reply. I am new to Android but as far as I know I can only get into the stock Asus recovery mode. I can't get (or don't know how to get into CWN recovery). CWM was supposed to be included in viperMOD PrimeTime v4.5 root but I am unable to boot in it.... I am trying to make ADB/Fastboot work to see if I can launch it from there but so far I can't make it communicate with my device...

When I press Power + Volume Down and then Volume Up, all I get is a green android robot with a black "!" in a red triangle...

Try what I mentioned about shutting down processes and hold down Volume up plus power when booting. You'll see a black screen but that's ok, you can verify that there is actually something going on because your computer should make the sound stating a new device has been connected to your pc.

From that black screen, you should be able to get nvflash to work, assuming you've shut down other programs that could be using adb, and have installed the correct driver for nvflash, and have also unpacked the prime rom into the nvflashf folder.

bArDBQ

Mar 28, 2012
Quebec City
I had the same issue for a while, on my windows 7, it seems there are multiple things that may be using the same resources you need for this process to work. Try ctr + alt + delete to view running processes, and shut down anything that may be using adb. It is crucial to shut down Asus sync, asus webstorage, etc, as they tie up your adb line when trying these methods.

I had bricked my transformer as well, and all the processes to fix it weren't working because of "waiting for device" messages.

Plus, with nvflash, make sure to unpack the Rom into the folder, rather than just having the rom's zip in the folder.

After fixing the "waiting for device" error, I still couldn't get mine to work because the rom wouldn't flash over as is, I had to take the "Prime" rom's tar located with in nvflash, and extract the files into the same folder.

Once I did that, I ran nvflash, and the rom transfered over fine and I was able to unbrick my device.

I will try to close all process that might use ADB but I already know that NVFlash will not help me since my device is a B80 and that NVFlash won't work with anything over B70

bArDBQ

Mar 28, 2012
Quebec City
Yeah you are still on stock recovery.

Your best bet is to get adb working, you can then pull the file, renamed and push it back.

I just can't get ADB to see my device...

I installed Asus PC Suite, it does detect the device and show it as "Nvidia USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile device" in Window's device list when I boot using Power Button + Volume UP... When I launch adb from command prompt deamon starts but when I type "adb devices" it shows: "List of devices attached" but that's it... no devices in the list.

I deleted the "Nvidia USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile device" and installed the default ASUSTeK Computer Inc. drivers I already had in Windows drivers list "ASUS Android ADB Device" but I get the exact same result.

I also tried to install the USB Drivers from ASUS website "ASUS_Android_USB_drivers_for_Windows.zip" but it seems like they are not made for Windows 7 64bits... The OS doesn't see them or won't install them...

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

bArDBQ

Mar 28, 2012
Quebec City
When using ADB you do NOT put it into APX mode.
Try cold booting your TF, once it get to the Eee Pad screen where it's stuck.
See if ADB can recognize your device there.

......... I installed Asus PC Suite, Droid Explorer... Installed/Reinstalled drivers... nothing works... I get the nVidia APX drivers to work but I just can't get the MTP Drivers to work... it is always saying that the Device can't start...

I don't know what to do.

bArDBQ

Mar 28, 2012
Quebec City
......... I installed Asus PC Suite, Droid Explorer... Installed/Reinstalled drivers... nothing works... I get the nVidia APX drivers to work but I just can't get the MTP Drivers to work... it is always saying that the Device can't start...

I don't know what to do.

35a5huc.jpg

e84y09.jpg

jazzruby

Aug 3, 2010
Hi bArDBQ,

First of all, the driver pkg 'ASUS_Android_USB_drivers_for_Windows.zip' IS the correct pkg and contains both 32 and 64 bit drivers; the .INF (installer file will enumerate/choose the correct files)

The image you posted (Device Manager) isn't even showing ADB 'mode'; 'Android Device/Phone' should be at the top of the list, if you've already manually installed the drivers or 'Other devices|Unknown device' if you have not .

Make sure you have USB debugging enabled in Settings on the device

After enabling, when you connect to your PC you will have an ?unknown? device in Device Manager under 'Other devices' and have to install/update the drivers manually (unless the files from ASUS PC Suite are still in Windows driver store).

Right-click 'Unknown device' > Update Driver Software... > Browse my computer for driver software > Browse | Include subfolders - (choose the extracted folder 'Android' e.g., [ ASUS Android USB drivers for Windows_20110321\Android ] )

You can also update 'ASUS Android MTP Device' the same way; just choose the 'MTP' driver sub-folder instead of 'Android'

You probably could just choose the top-level folder (extracted USB Driver folder) when choosing for each driver (because we chose 'Include subfolders') but that's up to you.

HTH,

-JR-

bArDBQ

Mar 28, 2012
Quebec City

So, cold-booting did not help, when I do this, the device manager shows that the "ASUS Android MTP device" drivers failed to install. I get the Code 10 (This device cannot start)

bArDBQ

Mar 28, 2012
Quebec City
Hi bArDBQ,

First of all, the driver pkg 'ASUS_Android_USB_drivers_for_Windows.zip' IS the correct pkg and contains both 32 and 64 bit drivers; the .INF (installer file will enumerate/choose the correct files)

The image you posted (Device Manager) isn't even showing ADB 'mode'; 'Android Device/Phone' should be at the top of the list, if you've already manually installed the drivers or 'Other devices|Unknown device' if you have not .

Make sure you have USB debugging enabled in Settings on the device

After enabling, when you connect to your PC you will have an ?unknown? device in Device Manager under 'Other devices' and have to install/update the drivers manually (unless the files from ASUS PC Suite are still in Windows driver store).

Right-click 'Unknown device' > Update Driver Software... > Browse my computer for driver software > Browse | Include subfolders - (choose the extracted folder 'Android' e.g., [ ASUS Android USB drivers for Windows_20110321\Android ] )

You can also update 'ASUS Android MTP Device' the same way; just choose the 'MTP' driver sub-folder instead of 'Android'

You probably could just choose the top-level folder (extracted USB Driver folder) when choosing for each driver (because we chose 'Include subfolders') but that's up to you.

HTH,

-JR-

Hello JR,

Thanks for the reply.

I manage to show the ghost devices and hidden device in the device manager. I deleted everything, and rebooted the computer. I connected the Transformer and cold-booted. Windows detected the device and I choose the MTP drivers from ASUS_Android_USB_drivers_for_Windows.zip but I got the same result. When I was booting using the Power Button + Volume Up Windows was detecting the device in ADB mode and I was able to install the proper drivers and make it work.

This said, it was impossible for me to get the Transformer in the device list in ADB. My computer simply can't connect to the tablet.

I can't make sure USB debugging is enabled in Settings on the device since the device do not boot but it was before it was bricked.

bArDBQ

Mar 28, 2012
Quebec City
bArDBQ , did you ever get this working. it seems i'm in the same boat your in except i'm on b70

Hey,

No, I was unable to fix the problem. I returned the device to ASUS and my replacement unit is on its way. I guess I was lucky they were not able to fix it.

Since you are on a B70 you might be able to use NVFlash. You should try it if not already done.

Good Luck!

MasterDecker

Dec 22, 2008
SON OF A BBBBBBbbbbb

Son of a bbbb... Son of a BBBB.... Son of a BBBB... hot damn. Ok Rooted, stock TF101. I was beta testing an app, and got the andy on his back with red triangle for my TF101 (us variant). I can see the Eee pad logo start, then nothing, only the back light stays on. Recovery leads to andy on his back. I tried Vol down + Power until reboot, then let it settle and come up with either choose to enter android or wipe data. Either one does nothing. Only the back light stays lit.

Recovery option is a no go.

Normal cold boot is a no go,

Hot boot is a no go.

PERI is a no go.

NVFlash is not tried yet.

ODIN is a no go.

12 pack of beer is a GO. Need more though I think.

Any assistance would be helpful.

UPDATE : Easyflash with the latest OFFICIAL Asus 4.0.3 update worked perfectly. NOTE : there was a simple partial file error that caused the problem.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have the original saved on your PC, try pushing it to your TF with ADB

Yeah you are still on stock recovery.

Your best bet is to get adb working, you can then pull the file, renamed and push it back.