720p videos lag on GT-P7510 running ICS

Search This thread

kwazyivan

Mar 1, 2010
London
www.youtube.com
Hi guys,
Is anyone able to play 720p videos smoothly with the GT-P7510 running ICS? cause no matter what player I use.
The 720p videos lag way too much, but with Android 3.2 never really had such issues as the same 720p videos used to play fine.

Does ICS take more resources than Honeycomb?

Obviously would like to stick with ICS due to its features, but if it takes more resources than Honeycomb, that it doesn't even allow me to play 720p videos smoothly, then I will have to consider going sticking to Honeycomb, but 1st need your advice.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
Reactions: pomsey

gokpog

Nov 30, 2009
Well, "720p videos" by itself simply isn't enough information to tell either way. What videos are you trying to watch (encoding, profile, bitrate) and which player do you use?

720p mp4s in standard h.264 high profile work just fine.

kwazyivan

Mar 1, 2010
London
www.youtube.com
Well.. to answer that, all my 720p videos have been downloaded from youtube using tubemate.

Also as I explained before, these same 720p videos, play absolutely smooth with Honeycomb, but not with ICS.

I even installed the [Kernel] - 2.6.36.4 - OC-VFPv3-d16_FP 1.4GHZ - Galaxy Tab 10.1 (07/11/12), Overclocked it to 1.4Ghz, which became slightly smoother but the video was still laggy and noticeable.

Due to this, I reverted back to Honeycomb, and now all the videos play smooth again.

Well, "720p videos" by itself simply isn't enough information to tell either way. What videos are you trying to watch (encoding, profile, bitrate) and which player do you use?

720p mp4s in standard h.264 high profile work just fine.

Last edited:

kishorsidu

Aug 15, 2011
Chennai
Hi guys,
Is anyone able to play 720p videos smoothly with the GT-P7510 running ICS? cause no matter what player I use.
The 720p videos lag way too much, but with Android 3.2 never really had such issues as the same 720p videos used to play fine.

Obviously would like to stick with ICS due to its features, but if it takes more resources than Honeycomb, that it doesn't even allow me to play 720p videos smoothly, then I will have to consider going sticking to Honeycomb, but 1st need your advice.

Thanks in Advance

Try flashing to jellybean
I had the same problem with honeycomb.now totally smooth and totally cool.

The problem is with the tegra 2 chip inside.
It cannot play h.264 encoded videos.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Len_TAb

Aug 31, 2011
Hi guys,

Thanks in Advance

Kill background running apps, then play the videos and see if it gets better.

Jacksmyname

Aug 5, 2012
Ivan, can you post a link to a video that you're having a problem with?
No problems here so far, but I'll try one of yours and see if it plays ok here.

kwazyivan

Mar 1, 2010
London
www.youtube.com
Ivan, can you post a link to a video that you're having a problem with?
No problems here so far, but I'll try one of yours and see if it plays ok here.

Now thats interesting, I have tubemate installed on my tablet that allows me to download any 720p videos from youtube, just do the same for a few videos, such as street fighter x tekken cinematic videos, also some music videos and test these please.

Let me know the results, and which rom, player and kernel you are using.

Thanks Mate, Much Appreciated

Last edited:

jus1haz2

Mar 1, 2012
WA, USA
reddit.com
I had problems playing 720p+ mkv in both honeycomb and ics until i tried BS player. I'm hoping VLC will eventually surpass all the other media players. MX player works for me with software decoding enabled and DICE player works as well, with Hardware Accel.

Last edited:

akarshfrevr

Jun 9, 2012
Bangalore
all these players can't play videos properly ......I would recommend u to convert video into mp4 or avi using formatfactory for
PC .....once converted copy to ur tab and play using mx player or v player or stock ...........the resolution and bitrate
adjustments make videos look lot smoother and plays without any hookups ......always use high bitrate as it makes video more sharper and also vivid...........if u are a pro in video converting then use mediacoder hq for pc

HIT THANKS BUTTON IF I HAVE HELPED

Reactions: pomsey

flymouse

May 7, 2012
taipei
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Now thats interesting, I have tubemate installed on my tablet that allows me to download any 720p videos from youtube, just do the same for a few videos, such as street fighter x tekken cinematic videos, also some music videos and test these please.

Let me know the results, and which rom, player and kernel you are using.

Thanks Mate, Much Appreciated

I have download 12 720P videos from youtube with tubemate,
then i play videos with MX player with ArmV7 decoder pack.
the play back result was smooth, no lag.

GT-P7510 16G WIFI (Asia Version)
ROM: XABLPL ICS 4.0.4
Kernel: STOCK with A1XE OC 1400
Player: MX Player - Hardware decode

pomsey

Aug 28, 2012
Kelowna
What ROM?

I have download 12 720P videos from youtube with tubemate,
then i play videos with MX player with ArmV7 decoder pack.
the play back result was smooth, no lag.

GT-P7510 16G WIFI (Asia Version)
ROM: XABLPL ICS 4.0.4
Kernel: STOCK with A1XE OC 1400
Player: MX Player - Hardware decode

Forget it, I see the ROM above....how do you delete posts?

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

Hi guys,

Thanks in Advance

Have you had any luck with this? I'm fighting the same issue.

Last edited:

nopnopnop

May 1, 2011
Hi guys,
This is happening to me too. Stock and Overcome Honeycomb, many H.264 videos play smoothly. Stock Samsung 4.0 and CM-9-2012-09-30, hardware acceleration is broken--either slow, or full of random misplaced blocks. These videos were specifically encoded for Tegra 2 devices. Let's pick an unobjectionable one:
Code:
mediainfo -f bun.mpg
Format : MPEG-4
File size : 292 MiB
Overall bit rate : 1 203 Kbps
Duration : 33mn 56s
Writing application : HandBrake 0.9.8 2012071800
So far, so good. Now for the video stream:
Code:
Format : AVC
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings : CABAC / 5 Ref Frames
Bit rate : 1 000 Kbps
Width : 1280
Height : 720
Frame rate mode : Variable
Minimum frame rate : 17.114 fps
Maximum frame rate : 29.970 fps
Writing library : x264 - core 120
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:1:1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / 
me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.40:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 /
me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / 
deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 /
sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / 
constrained_intra=0 / bframes=6 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 /
direct=1 / weightb=0 / open_gop=0 / weightp=0 / keyint=300 /
keyint_min=30 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 /
rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=3 /
qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:0.60
You will note the weightp=0 and weightb=0.

So, no weighted prediction, bitrate below 2Mbps, Level 3.1. These are the specs Motorola gave for the Tegra 2 decode capabilities in the ATRIX 4G (and indeed the video plays fine there on CM 7.2 in HW+ mode in MX Player and BSPlayer.)

What may strike you as a little strong about this is ref=5 and bframes=6. (This is from the x264 tune=animation.) On the Tab 10.1 on ICS using MX Player or BSPlayer, the video in fact looks like intermediate frames are not being rendered correctly; flip to the menu and back and you get a bunch of black blocks being slid around by the motion compensation code. So I'm wondering if some amount of video texture resources (or something) got eaten up in the ICS accelerated drivers for the Tab 10.1, and nobody told the hardware engines. Perhaps 2D acceleration scribbles on the textures used for reference frames.

This is as annoying as hell. I knew when I bought a second Tegra 2 device I was going to have video problems, but I thought I had them all figured out. Unlike the ATRIX which gained capability when updated, the Tab 10.1 seems to have lost it.

Last edited:

djangology

Jan 11, 2012
This is as annoying as hell. I knew when I bought a second Tegra 2 device I was going to have video problems, but I thought I had them all figured out. Unlike the ATRIX which gained capability when updated, the Tab 10.1 seems to have lost it.

Same problem on the 10.1V after the OTA update.

Where 3.2 played HQ youtube videos without any problem, 4.0.4 manages to destroy it. Un-believable.

nopnopnop

May 1, 2011
Code:
Format profile : High@L3.1
Bit rate : 1 000 Kbps
Minimum frame rate : 17.114 fps
Maximum frame rate : 29.970 fps
ref=5
bframes=6 / b_pyramid=2 
rc=2pass / bitrate=1000
After staring at this a while, I've noticed some problems back on 3.2 A few thoughts:
  • The items up there are the most suspicious to me.
  • 2pass does a good job of saving up bits for the hard scenes. Peak bit rate could be a lot higher. When Motorola said 2Mbps, it's possible they implied a peak bit rate too.
  • Nothing except BSPlayer likes Variable Frame Rate very much, especially the aggressive way it gets used in some animation. I'd bet toggling between 24fps and 30fps would be OK. Stuff filmed at 25fps and mauled on the way to broadcast at 1080i 60 fields/sec drives HandBrake kinda crazy, and I can't say I blame it.
  • One particularly brutal thing seems to be heavily motion-vectored scenes. Those could also be ones with high use of bidirectional prediction and multiple reference frames, so a symptom, not a cause.
Where the symptom on 3.2 is slowness, 4.0 is just broken. It's possible 4.0 on the Tab 10.1 actually did improve frame rate, but bugs in the code made it unwatchable--and somebody flipped a switch to put it back in software mode in order to have *something* work.

trevormc

Jan 6, 2012
Cape Town
Audio Issues

Hi all,

I am running CM10 4.1.1 Preview with Pershoots Kernel 2.6.36.4 on my Gt-7500

Before I upgraded, I was using the stock HC ROM that came on my tablet.

Using Ultimate media server on my PC, and Bubble UPNP and and Daroon player on the tablet, I was able to stream DVD's from my DVD-ROM via my WIFI to the tablet, and all was working quite well.

But ever since upgrading to CM10 experimental preview, there is no Audio playback on the video. I can play mp3's the same way no problem.

Does anyone have any idea as to the problem? Perhaps some audio codecs were left out?
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

Thanks in Advance
    all these players can't play videos properly ......I would recommend u to convert video into mp4 or avi using formatfactory for
    PC .....once converted copy to ur tab and play using mx player or v player or stock ...........the resolution and bitrate
    adjustments make videos look lot smoother and plays without any hookups ......always use high bitrate as it makes video more sharper and also vivid...........if u are a pro in video converting then use mediacoder hq for pc

HIT THANKS BUTTON IF I HAVE HELPED