[APP][4.0+][ROOT] BBQScreen

Search This thread

uncleswoop

Jun 1, 2010
Aliso Viejo
Works with Nexus 7 WiFi w/ SmoothRom 5.0. Oh man, can't to see the progression of this app. I was beginning to think I was SOL trying to find a way to stream my Nexus to another monitor to play movies/games/whatnot. This app blows the other options out of the water. AND it's pretty much beta... how crazy. Keep up the good work man! If you need to test anything out on a Nexus 7 grouper, let me know.

itisbasi

Nov 21, 2011
Bangalore
The Linux client is compiled for 64 bit. Can you please provide an executable in 32 bit?

Code:
$ file BBQScreenClient
BBQScreenClient: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, BuildID[sha1]=01bf24149cc004e7eef5d9dd547e252219a3ada4, not stripped

An unrelated question: Is it possible to stream a video with this app?

+1 for the 32 bit client.

Reactions: JanusDC

elroy944

Oct 8, 2007
tested this on my xperia z (android 4.1.2), but when i rotate my phone the phone goes to landscape but on my desktop (windows 8) it rotates too but gives me landscape screen in the same portrait mode (very ugly)

landscape mode working for you guys on desktop?

Pablotron

Jun 15, 2010
It doesn´t work on my Nexus 7 stock rom. It's rooted and open bootloader.

It works fine on my Galaxy S2 with Pacman rom. Another issue, It doesn´t do fullscreen on windows.

EDV11

Aug 3, 2007
Do you have plans to make it possible to control the phone using the computer keyboard and mouse? That would be simply awesome.

coreyog

Nov 27, 2010
Oklahoma City
I can't find any instructions on how to actually use a USB connection. The Windows client only asks for an IP and
Code:
adb forward
looks like it only works with TCP not UDP.

On Windows, how do I use the USB connection?

Reactions: nutiket95

yolan

Mar 23, 2009
App/Client Issues

Just a few bugs with a Note 2 and the Linux client

Client
1. Screen rotation does not increase the width of the client application and therefore stretches the image.
2. No scaling of the client itself does not allow viewing full screen preview on lower resolution laptop/monitors. Possibly force application to send scaling info back to phone so larger frames are not sent unnecessarily?
3. If you do manage to scale the app using Ubuntu's drag to a side of the screen the updated images flash on the left hand side of the window.

App
1. Low frame rates over wifi. Much improved with scaling down to 50% (20-30fps)
2. Full scale will not render landscape mode

XpLoDWilD

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 19, 2009
France
www.xplod.fr
Do you have plans to make it possible to control the phone using the computer keyboard and mouse? That would be simply awesome.

It's planned in a future update.

I can't find any instructions on how to actually use a USB connection. The Windows client only asks for an IP and
Code:
adb forward
looks like it only works with TCP not UDP.

On Windows, how do I use the USB connection?

You need to enable USB tethering. The app will then show you the device IP on the tethered network (192.168.42.129 by default).

Just a few bugs with a Note 2 and the Linux client

Client
1. Screen rotation does not increase the width of the client application and therefore stretches the image.
2. No scaling of the client itself does not allow viewing full screen preview on lower resolution laptop/monitors. Possibly force application to send scaling info back to phone so larger frames are not sent unnecessarily?
3. If you do manage to scale the app using Ubuntu's drag to a side of the screen the updated images flash on the left hand side of the window.

App
1. Low frame rates over wifi. Much improved with scaling down to 50% (20-30fps)
2. Full scale will not render landscape mode

We fixed a lot of limitations in the client that will be available in the update coming tomorrow.
As for low frame rates, we do our best to give good FPS. 50% of screen size is often a good resolution already for 720p+ screen, and 75% works fine too. We might switch to something similar to miracast in the future, when we have more time to replicate it (and if it's technically possible).

Tomorrow's update will also fix a lot of issues with screen not rendering at all at a high scale.

Reactions: str8upx

MariusWildfire

Sep 11, 2010
"No frame received, are you sure of your Android device address?"
Nexus 4 and it doesn't work :(
//
Same problem with my Nexus 7. Btw I'm on Windows 8 x64

Last edited:

hsuede

Dec 21, 2010
Does anyone know why I am getting a BBQScreenClient.exe is not a valid Win32 application?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    kvrWpGURFKNsxhvD1BE14hpGJXuSdh8CEL8AvPOZqN4prDEl91h3Sn_8e_6eJdFo5cKH=w124

BBQScreen lets you see your Android device's screen on your computer at fullspeed.

Unlike many Phone-to-PC screen sharing app, BBQScreen lets you see your device's screen in realtime and at a high framerate. It's super easy to setup, and can work through Wi-Fi, USB Tethering, or even Bluetooth tethering (best experienced with Wi-Fi or USB Tethering).
    Get and install this app on your Android device, and get the latest client app on your computer at http://screen.bbqdroid.org. You just have to enter your device's IP address, and it's working immediately.

See it on the Play Store

W1i7jluoXgSwxKadHzLoW0T_Lvr0pr26ak-GL9ewqJvdh-mJNruOhVZoE89PU065imkU
    Sorry for the late reply.

1) Sorry, my derp for the x86 client. I'll fix that asap.
    2) Seems like there is a bug with stock 4.2 phones, I'm going to investigate. If you run CyanogenMod, it works fine.
    3) We used a different method of slicing the data in 1.5 update, that could induce some tearing at high scale. However, at 50% scale the previous method is still used.
    4) We are aware of orientation issues on some devices, and we'll offer an option to workaround it for the devices not behaving properly.
    5) We will offer an update shortly with yet another streaming method. Right now we're broadcasting JPEG over UDP. It seems like UDP is a problem for some people not being able to connect, and UDP introduces the tearing issue I talked above due to the slicing. I've been taking a closer look at Miracast, and I have a running host and client app here on my Nexus 4 with a much better image and way smoother rendering, even at high scale (I get a clean image at ~20 FPS at 100% scale, and a regulated 25FPS (artificial limit) at 75%). We also switched to TCP to prevent connection issues that could occur in the past. We're going to run some tests on the different test devices we have, and push it asap.

Thanks for your patience, and understand that we're constantly working on improving it. This new Miracast-like broadcasting method is the best we can achieve with the current technologies and hardware limitations, and we cross our fingers to hope that it will work fine for everyone. Be assured that we'll keep on improving the app, eventually get back our previous jpeg method as a fallback if some devices aren't capable of broadcasting properly the frames with our new method.

If we're 100% sure it works fine, we'll add other elements such as remote control, audio, recording, and much more.

Thanks again for your patience.
    Maybe you need a free test app so people can ensure it works with their devices first :good:
    Ok, some big news guys:
    - The new version takes quite a lot of time, but I'm putting a lot of work into it.
    - I'm using the new Android 4.3 and 4.4 APIs for screen recording and streaming, providing a super smooth and fast streaming, with a very low CPU usage and a much better quality.
    - I'm simplifying the connection process, allowing your device to be "announced" on your network, and thus not having to type in the IP every time.
    - The remote input will also be greatly improved compared to previously.

I hope to finish this new version by the end of the week... hopefully.
    Will the Linux server work under Raspbian for Raspberry Pi, or as it will be only X86 processor and no ARM support?

There is no linux server, as the server runs on the phone (so it's ARM). As for the client (app that displays the phone's screen), there will be an Android client.

We're almost done with our new update.