FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Got My Xoom running Debain native (without chroot)

37 posts
Thanks Meter: 61

By LIV2, Member on 24th June 2011, 08:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th June 2011, 09:16 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Isn't sound support typically built into the kernel or at least built as a kernel module? Is there something i'm missing?
The Following User Says Thank You to kuroguy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kuroguy Ad-Free

27th June 2011, 05:45 AM |#12  
OP Member
Flag Sydney

More
Hey,

The problem with the sound is the same reason there is no GPU Acceleration, it requires proprietary support from NVidia binary blobs that I don't have.

It's possible I will be able to get it going properly once they release the next Linux4Tegra, but I'm not sure.
27th June 2011, 07:01 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I've tried to get this going with Gentoo all weekend. I can't seem to get any boot.img to boot on the Xoom once flashed (just stays frozen at the Moto logo). Apparently fastboot boot is locked out as well so I am unable to get any debug info on screen...
27th June 2011, 07:25 AM |#14  
OP Member
Flag Sydney

More
Hey equid0x

I'd be glad to help

Did you make sure to enable vt support in your kernel and set console=tty0 in your boot parameters?

Is it rebooting itself when you try to use your boot.img? if so make sure your initrd is being stored in the SRV4 format, you can do this by gunziping it then type file initramdisk.img which will tell you the version.

if that doesn't help let me know
28th June 2011, 01:52 AM |#15  
OP Member
Flag Sydney

More
looks like i left out a step in the kernel config section

which is "go to Device Drivers > Graphics Support > Console Display Driver support > enable "Framebuffer Console Support" " after enabling VT Support

I've updated the OP now.
28th June 2011, 06:56 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 1,270

More
hi LIV2, interesting stuff you're working on here. i'm not sure if you're aware, if you aren't this is gonna be a good news most likely: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...pha-1-Released

I believed there are binary blobs inside the package (haven't got the time to look at it), but there might be kernel changes needed to make it work too. I'm not sure as I'm not an expert in this area. But hopefully, this would realize a full blown linux OS on our Xoom.
28th June 2011, 08:41 PM |#17  
Flag Adelaide
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thumbs up Hebrew + Easy Dual Boot + Awesomeness :)
Well aint this something !!!

Have been waiting for this type of functionality for a long time !!! This absolutely awesome !!

So first of all - THANK YOU !
Second of all - Is there any chance you could include hebrew package with the RTL support ?

P.S : the dual boot idea is cool, but is there a way to make the device just boot into linux with a click on an icon ? (I mean run an app from android that'll reboot the tab into debian)
28th June 2011, 10:08 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 321

More
Firstly: this is awesome. Thank you for putting this how-to together. I've been wanting to boot Linux natively off my Xoom pretty much since the day I got it.

I originally tried to set up the chroot environment on Fedora and had all kinds of weird issues with the packages. I'm not sure if it was me or Fedora, but I ended up doing it in an Ubuntu VM instead and it worked out fine. Ultimately I'd like to actually get Fedora on the Xoom (maybe Ubuntu if I can get Unity to behave; the interface could be nice with a touchscreen).

Also, a question: How did you get your wifi set up? You noted that wpa_supplicant would work but I don't even seem to have a wifi interface present unless it has a name other than wlanX. It's not the usb0 interface, is it? My 3G adapter seems like it's recognized in the NM applet but I don't have a data plan, so it doesn't do me much good.

Lastly, I'll add a picture to the collection. Nothing super exciting - this is XFCE running on top of Debian. I've never been a big fan of GNOME and I figured it might be a little snappier :P

29th June 2011, 12:38 AM |#19  
OP Member
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctu

hi LIV2, interesting stuff you're working on here. i'm not sure if you're aware, if you aren't this is gonna be a good news most likely: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...pha-1-Released

I believed there are binary blobs inside the package (haven't got the time to look at it), but there might be kernel changes needed to make it work too. I'm not sure as I'm not an expert in this area. But hopefully, this would realize a full blown linux OS on our Xoom.

Awesome

I've compiled a kernel with the audio components from the L4T Kernel sources but they don't seem to include codec support for the Xoom, I'm still playing around with this
However that is going to hopefully help with GPU support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion82

Well aint this something !!!

Second of all - Is there any chance you could include hebrew package with the RTL support ?

P.S : the dual boot idea is cool, but is there a way to make the device just boot into linux with a click on an icon ? (I mean run an app from android that'll reboot the tab into debian)

I'll see what I can find re: language. shouldn't be too difficult, it'd just be a few different steps
As for the dualboot idea, it'd be possible to do so but I'm no coder :P
All it'd require is dding the boot img from within android, not sure how the NAND would hold up to constant rewrites though

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarerathis

Firstly: this is awesome. Thank you for putting this how-to together. I've been wanting to boot Linux natively off my Xoom pretty much since the day I got it.

I originally tried to set up the chroot environment on Fedora and had all kinds of weird issues with the packages. I'm not sure if it was me or Fedora, but I ended up doing it in an Ubuntu VM instead and it worked out fine. Ultimately I'd like to actually get Fedora on the Xoom (maybe Ubuntu if I can get Unity to behave; the interface could be nice with a touchscreen).

Also, a question: How did you get your wifi set up? You noted that wpa_supplicant would work but I don't even seem to have a wifi interface present unless it has a name other than wlanX. It's not the usb0 interface, is it? My 3G adapter seems like it's recognized in the NM applet but I don't have a data plan, so it doesn't do me much good.

Lastly, I'll add a picture to the collection. Nothing super exciting - this is XFCE running on top of Debian. I've never been a big fan of GNOME and I figured it might be a little snappier :P

Awesome!

Something I have to add to the guide is the wifi, to do this you should have the module for bcm4329 in your /lib/modules somewhere
so to use it, run modprobe bcm4329 nvram_path=/lib/firmware/bcm4329.cal firmware_path=/lib/firmware/fw_bcm4329.bin

then you should see the interface as eth0

you'll need to make sure your wpa_supplicant conf has ap_scan=1 and fast_reauth=1 set, otherwise it won't find any APs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LIV2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LIV2 Ad-Free
29th June 2011, 02:26 AM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 321

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIV2

Awesome!

Something I have to add to the guide is the wifi, to do this you should have the module for bcm4329 in your /lib/modules somewhere
so to use it, run modprobe bcm4329 nvram_path=/lib/firmware/bcm4329.cal firmware_path=/lib/firmware/fw_bcm4329.bin

then you should see the interface as eth0

you'll need to make sure your wpa_supplicant conf has ap_scan=1 and fast_reauth=1 set, otherwise it won't find any APs

D'oh, I didn't even think to try running modprobe, I just assumed it was loaded That was the ticket, and wireless is working great (posting from the Debian install now!).

Looks like it's play time for me...thanks again!
29th June 2011, 02:49 AM |#21  
OP Member
Flag Sydney

More
Cool!

I'm working on the GPU support now, the L4T package has the relevant binaries but for some reason it's just crashing X and giving me a black screen. I think it's to do with my kernel config. I'll keep you all posted though.

eldarerathis: make sure to give florence a go, it's a great on screen keyboard
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
debian, gnu, linux, motorola, xoom

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)