FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Got My Xoom running Debain native (without chroot)

37 posts
Thanks Meter: 61

By LIV2, Member on 24th June 2011, 08:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
29th June 2011, 02:49 AM |#21  
OP Member
Flag Sydney

More
Cool!

I'm working on the GPU support now, the L4T package has the relevant binaries but for some reason it's just crashing X and giving me a black screen. I think it's to do with my kernel config. I'll keep you all posted though.

eldarerathis: make sure to give florence a go, it's a great on screen keyboard

29th June 2011, 03:48 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 321

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIV2

Cool!

I'm working on the GPU support now, the L4T package has the relevant binaries but for some reason it's just crashing X and giving me a black screen. I think it's to do with my kernel config. I'll keep you all posted though.

eldarerathis: make sure to give florence a go, it's a great on screen keyboard

Is that the one you were using in your video? I actually meant to ask but I forgot. It looks way nicer than GOK and matchbox-keyboard.
29th June 2011, 05:00 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 1,270

More
hmm.. this is written in the release notes:

Quote:

Note: This alpha release of Tegra Linux Driver Package (L4T.ER1) is a
release for Tegra250 “Harmony” only. The information in these release
notes is preliminary

I believe our Tegra 2 is not the Harmony chipset. It is hard to find the chipset reference for our Xoom. Though it should be in the kernel sources. Eitherway, perhaps this is why the blobs doesn't work?

btw: we do have drivers to read the eMMC/mtd right? if so, can we install the rootfs to the internal memory?
29th June 2011, 06:06 AM |#24  
OP Member
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarerathis

Is that the one you were using in your video? I actually meant to ask but I forgot. It looks way nicer than GOK and matchbox-keyboard.

Yep, it's what I'm using and I love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctu

hmm.. this is written in the release notes:

I believe our Tegra 2 is not the Harmony chipset. It is hard to find the chipset reference for our Xoom. Though it should be in the kernel sources. Eitherway, perhaps this is why the blobs doesn't work?

btw: we do have drivers to read the eMMC/mtd right? if so, can we install the rootfs to the internal memory?

You're probably right, what a pain in the ass! it probably explains why we're having that issue.

And yeah, eMMC works. you can mount the android rootfs with this kernel so you shouldn't have a problem booting from internal storage.
29th June 2011, 06:20 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 1,270

More
heh. then let's just wait for Alpha 2. hopefully the drivers are there. would be awesome to have a full blown linux distro on our xoom. i'm looking at ubuntu + unity for touch screen.
29th June 2011, 08:11 AM |#26  
Flag North ogden
Thanks Meter: 23

More
I've got a transformer so can't completely share with this yet but awesome that somebody got linux on these devices because they are being for them with the hardware these devices have
29th June 2011, 08:19 AM |#27  
OP Member
Flag Sydney

More
hey plasmastrike, You'll be happy to learn that a couple of guys are working on the transformer + linux too
29th June 2011, 07:01 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
I'm on a transformer too. LIV2, the work you've done helps us all!
29th June 2011, 08:24 PM |#29  
Flag North ogden
Thanks Meter: 23

More
I found out about this on the transformer forum, they had a link
30th June 2011, 04:37 AM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIV2

Hey equid0x

I'd be glad to help

Did you make sure to enable vt support in your kernel and set console=tty0 in your boot parameters?

Is it rebooting itself when you try to use your boot.img? if so make sure your initrd is being stored in the SRV4 format, you can do this by gunziping it then type file initramdisk.img which will tell you the version.

if that doesn't help let me know

I will need to check my kernel config and boot params and initrd format. I'll probably give it another go this weekend when I have some spare time. I've cross compiled several different kernels -- a couple with armv7a and a couple with a different cross compiler (arm5 maybe?). 2 of them are based on the Tiamat 1.4.4 git with gnu patches and 2 of them from the Tegra Linux source at Nvidia... all compiled successfully and flashed and all stay stuck at the Motorola logo.

I emerged all the cross compilation environment from Gentoo on my laptop so I am not sure if its a kernel/config issue or a problem with the cross compilers I've built. I have very little experience with cross compiling on arm architecture in general, so I've been doing a lot of reading.
30th June 2011, 05:35 AM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 99

More
Can anyone please upload a pre-compiled boot.img
(I don't have a linux system to make it on)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
debian, gnu, linux, motorola, xoom

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)