1,408 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,025

By biktor_gj, Senior Member on 25th February 2008, 12:37 PM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
8th March 2008, 12:27 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Wink
i think people whats interested about doing this supposed to do something , i also think we supposed to knows ours messangers etc(msn,yahoo,or something **** like that) we must participle the job we want do to... and make a wikipage , code google , or whatever else but we must go on....

8th March 2008, 03:18 PM |#22  
Flag San Juan, ARG
Thanks Meter: 2

More
wow
this is an incredible news ! linux on the Vox !
I'd love to flash mine with a movibuntu distro =)
8th March 2008, 04:45 PM |#23  
Flag Groningen
Thanks Meter: 17

More
How do you guys feel about splitting the project up in several subprojects?

Like:
  • Kernel and driver work: TI OMAP HTC Vox board patch and perhaps drivers
  • Base system: minimal rootfs and toolkit to utilize all Vox functionality
  • Usability: GUI and (for instance) Android support

This would also enable us to share the base system & usability work with other 'linux on smartphone' and embedded projects.

I do have a suggestion for the base system:
www.emdebian.org

Very up to date build toolchain for arm (GCC 4.x toolchains) and you can have apt support on the base rom. This would allow access to a huge amount of packages that can be used with relatively little effort. Others I've checked out are the new mobile ubuntu (system requirements way to high), MontaVista (severe lack of proper documentation to get up to speed quickly), uClinux (uses ulibc instead of the faster full fledged one, in my opinion we'd better trade some storage for more speed) and some others I can't remember now...

PS. I've got internet at my new place and I've recovered my bricked wizard from the 'spare electronics bin', so finally I can spend some more time on this
9th March 2008, 01:55 PM |#24  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanHamminga

How do you guys feel about splitting the project up in several subprojects?

I think it's the best thing we could do
  • Kernel and driver work: TI OMAP HTC Vox board patch and perhaps drivers
  • Base system: minimal rootfs and toolkit to utilize all Vox functionality
  • Usability: GUI and (for instance) Android support

The only problem I see here is the Android part. Making Android work means you have to modify both the root filesystem and the kernel to deal with it.
For example: By default, linux's framebuffer stays on /dev/fb0, right? Android expect it to be somewhere like /dev/graphics/fb0 (or something like that), wich means you have to patch the kernel. But you will need to modify the root filesystem to tell the window manager its screen is 240x320 and not 320x240 (unless you work with the sliding keyboard open all the time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanHamminga

I do have a suggestion for the base system:
www.emdebian.org

Both my home server and my workstation uses Debian, so, in my opinion, pretty good idea! I would anyway get a basic rootfs with busybox and few things more by now, and then implement a working GpePhone (wich is the most suitable gui I found btw) when we have a working kernel.

I've spent all week out and I only had my mac for working, so I haven't been able to do anything, keeping back to work on the kernel this week. I promise I will make the keyboard work! And this week I will begin adapting the gsm module to see if it does something useful (it would be great if I could start a call, even if I won't hear anything...)
9th March 2008, 03:21 PM |#25  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 163

More
OK, the Page is set up under vonix.googlecode.com .
There is nothing on it so far, if you want to join do it (you'll need a google account, but that isn't a big deal). I created it under GNU General Public License v3! So after you joined you can upload the source and compiled stuff!
9th March 2008, 03:43 PM |#26  
Flag Groningen

More
Can you add me?

stefanhamminga@gmail.com

BTW, is there interest in a VMWare image containing debian and the emdebian cross compiler for arm?
9th March 2008, 06:11 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i think vmware can do it

PS.add me too to this project barth666@gmail.com
9th March 2008, 06:41 PM |#28  
Flag Groningen

More
Yes, vmware can do this, actually that is how I work currently. So if there is more interest I can post my 'i386 to ARM' vm on the google site.
9th March 2008, 06:44 PM |#29  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
wuuuh... wouldn't that be so big? at least a gig I guess..
9th March 2008, 08:01 PM |#30  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 163

More
I added you all as project owners, because this way you can all change the project stuff right away! Go ahead

EDIT:
Hm I just found out that there is a file size limit of 20 MB, pretty bad!

EDIT2:
I am starting a SF.net project! They take some time to review the project, it should be p and running in 1 to 3 business days!
9th March 2008, 09:33 PM |#31  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
So we won't be using google code at all, will we? I have a bunch of pdfs, and some info to begin with the wiki, but will wait for sourceforge then...
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread