just went through rooting my phone and wanted to update some of the info on here for UK users.
I was on a clean rc9 build, and wanted to root the phone.
The process was same as first post in this thread with some minor adjustments:
1. You have to bring your phone back to an earlier release (I used rc7 UK)
2. You then use the security hole to root your rc7 (so this is the section about using recovery.img and Hard SPL)
This is where it failed for me. After enabling telnetd, the using the flash commands, I still didn't have root for some reason. After some digging I found an alternate approach (http://www.kyubinc.org/files/g1_rc_root.txt
). Basically it's the same thing (just use UK releases instead of US releases) and this solution basically copies the su command to the shell command, so that any application requesting shell is automatically su -> so follow insturctions 8 thru 16, but swap out these two lines:
14. Type cat /sdcard/recovery_testkeys.img > /data/local/recovery.img
15. Type cat /sdcard/recovery_testkeys.img > /system/recovery.img
instead of recovery_testkeys.img
Then you can follow the last steps, so:
3. get rc9 modified (I used http://jf.odiness.com/v1.43/JFv1.43_RC9.zip
) - Then followed the last bits of this post - and I was good to go.
I'm aware this info is aimed at users that can understand the linux commands, so if anyone is interested in having me produce a "how to root rc9 UK phone" then I can start a separate thread and put the exact step-by-step details.