FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How-to- Root, Hack, and Flashing your G1/Dream Read first!!

917 posts
Thanks Meter: 894

By Koush, Retired Recognized Developer on 4th November 2008, 10:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th April 2009, 02:13 PM |#1001  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hello

I'd like to ask, if I rooted my G1. Can I still received updates from Google for the Android like I normally do?

Thanks

24th April 2009, 02:41 PM |#1002  
Flag Langley
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Implementing Root on a UK rc9 experience
Hello All,
just went through rooting my phone and wanted to update some of the info on here for UK users.

I was on a clean rc9 build, and wanted to root the phone.

The process was same as first post in this thread with some minor adjustments:
1. You have to bring your phone back to an earlier release (I used rc7 UK)
http://koushikdutta.blurryfox.com/G1/DREAMIMG-RC7.zip

2. You then use the security hole to root your rc7 (so this is the section about using recovery.img and Hard SPL)

This is where it failed for me. After enabling telnetd, the using the flash commands, I still didn't have root for some reason. After some digging I found an alternate approach (http://www.kyubinc.org/files/g1_rc_root.txt). Basically it's the same thing (just use UK releases instead of US releases) and this solution basically copies the su command to the shell command, so that any application requesting shell is automatically su -> so follow insturctions 8 thru 16, but swap out these two lines:

Code:
14. Type cat /sdcard/recovery_testkeys.img > /data/local/recovery.img
15. Type cat /sdcard/recovery_testkeys.img > /system/recovery.img
with recovery.img instead of recovery_testkeys.img

Then you can follow the last steps, so:

3. get rc9 modified (I used http://jf.odiness.com/v1.43/JFv1.43_RC9.zip) - Then followed the last bits of this post - and I was good to go.

---------------------------

I'm aware this info is aimed at users that can understand the linux commands, so if anyone is interested in having me produce a "how to root rc9 UK phone" then I can start a separate thread and put the exact step-by-step details.
26th April 2009, 10:52 AM |#1003  

More
Jite raho bangali!!!
Koushik da,
Tomar jobab nei!!!!!!

Thanks for the tutorial and the telnet app.
Running JF 1.41 on my G1 now!!

COOL!!!
27th April 2009, 12:54 AM |#1004  
Flag Rockland

More
Hi, don't know if you figured it out or not:
You probably don't have your SD Card formatted exactly right to FAT 32.
That is what happened to me. I use a Mac, so you can't just right click and format the card. So I went into Disk Utility, and got the idea that what i would do was partition the SD Card, one side Mac OS one side Windows FAT 32. However, it won't do that. The partition itself reverts to FAT 16. So if you are using a Mac. Go into Disk Utility and chose to format the disk with whatever the generic Windows option is: just don't chose FAT 16. IT REALLY HAS TO BE FAT 32. I bet you get a flash like the thing is about to go, and then it stops. If you could see the words on the grey/blue screen, which I got it to do at one point, it says it can't see or read or something the file. That's because it literally "can't see" the file. It's like a maddening riddle.
So rip your battery out, and reboot, it will start up as normal. Your phone is not ruined. Then you can format the SD card. I bet that is what it is.
When you do get it formatted, you are going to be starting from scratch. You will have to login again with Google, which is how they get you to have to pay that big data plan. I had to do it again to get on. About to switch back, (11 dollar Dash plan works fine with WAP) then discovered Jesus Freke's Rev 1.42 someplace. Which supposedly you can login using WIFI. So I have to find that again. If you know where it is.
Good luck.
27th April 2009, 12:58 AM |#1005  

More
newbie with questions
I just bought a G1 a couple of weeks ago, and would like to root it (I have to get rid of the Amazon store). It has R33 (I don't know what ADP is).

My question is: is the sticky that describes the process still current? It's dated from last November. Do I still take the G1 back to R29?

tia,

-Steve
27th April 2009, 03:11 AM |#1006  
Flag Peekskill, NY
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_steve

I just bought a G1 a couple of weeks ago, and would like to root it (I have to get rid of the Amazon store). It has R33 (I don't know what ADP is).

My question is: is the sticky that describes the process still current? It's dated from last November. Do I still take the G1 back to R29?

tia,

-Steve

It is still current you have to go back to RC29 to get root access then you can update back to rc33 or you can try one of the cupcake builds
27th April 2009, 06:14 AM |#1007  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koush

Download recovery.img and copy it to your SD card (see the previous instructions on how to copy from your computer to your Phone's SD card).

Hello, all went well except for when I try downloading the above link and opening it with winzip I get an error saying, "Error: internal error processing iso image" and nothing happens.

Thanks so much for any help.
27th April 2009, 03:33 PM |#1008  
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by discreet047

Hello, all went well except for when I try downloading the above link and opening it with winzip I get an error saying, "Error: internal error processing iso image" and nothing happens.

Thanks so much for any help.

why are you opening it with winzip?!? just put it on the G1
27th April 2009, 07:44 PM |#1009  
Flag Crystal Lake , IL

More
I just flashed my G1. I had a hell of a time doing it , but got it after about an hour or so. Thanks for the excellent step by step instructions.
29th April 2009, 12:14 AM |#1010  

More
I have successfully rooted my phone however, now I am getting system updates about 5 times a day. I tried reinstalling RC33 back on my phone but for some reason it is not working. I did everything it says to do and am still stuck on RC29.
29th April 2009, 12:21 AM |#1011  

More
Do we type "telnetd" with or without the quotation marks?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cupcake, jf1.5, root, tutorial, upgrade

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)